Here's a chance to wax lyrical about your favourite (and least favourite!) aircraft of all time. Don't feel obliged to back up your emotions with actual science!
For me, anyway, the list would be:
5. A320. Gotta respect the aircraft that has taken on the mighty 737, and in many respects, won; has a spacious cabin, nice clean aesthetics on the exterior and performs like an F-16.
4. 747. Riding on one of these babies is like coming home. Reliable and safe, and you gotta love the macho, don't-mess-with-me-punk shape of the cockpit windows.
3. 707. It brought the Beatles to JFK and the whole world into the jet age. Beautiful yet rugged to look at, many fine examples in airline liverley - my favourite being the Qantas V-Jet with the red tail and gleaming aluminium underbelly. Reliable as hell
2. 767 It has beautiful, clean lines on the outside; a very tidy aircraft to visually admire. It brought ETOPs to the world and an extremely passenger friendly 2-3-2 configuration in Y class.
1. DC-10. Okay, so a few of them ended up a bit more thinly spread over the ground than they were before takeoff, but those swept wings, upward pointing no. 2 engine on the tail.... this aircraft is beautiful whichever way you look at it. Nice interior with 2-5-2 config that always managed to feel more spacious than it really was. My all time favourite.
And my least favourite:
4.DC-3 Okay okay, I know it dropped troops on Normandy and it still delivers mail to Nebraska, but it just doesn't push my buttons. Sorry. And why are the engines mounted so damn close to the fuselage??
3. 757 Too long, too skinny, with a butt-ugly nose section and also was the aircraft directly responsible for re-inventing long-haul travel in a 3-3 configuration. Ghastly.
2.747-SP What were they thinking? I mean really!
1.Concorde Now don't get me started on this one. Just about bankrupted Britain & France designing the thing, cramped & noisy cabin, small windows and a pretty unimpressive incident per flying hours record. Cost about a trillion bucks to fly on and who really cares about shaving 2 hours of LHR-JFK anyway? Give me Virgin upper class any day. Recycle bin for me.