Hirnie
Topic Author

Which Alliance Around The World?

Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:50 am

Hello!

I´m planing to do a trip around the world.
What alliance would you recommend?
I tend to prefer Star since they have the most developed route structure and I´m going to start in Frankfurt...

Perhaps you guys can tell me about advantages and disadvantages of the alliances.

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance

HT

RE: Which Alliance Around The World?

Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:52 am

The Alliance to choose really depends on the areas you would like to touch in your RTW. Any thoughts yet ?
I assume, you already have downloaded the RTW-planning tools available on the respective Alliance´s website ?!

Personally I would prefer *A, too, although they still have some blind spots on the map.
For routing, the saying goes: "East is least, West is best", meaning: Fly westbound and you will have less effects on your body (however, in case you fly C-Class the negative effects on eastbound, red-eye flights should be significantly lower than in Y).
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

zrs70

Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:53 am

I would shop around a bity before buying the ticket out of FRA. If you begin in Denmark or parts of the FSU, the fares are significantly lower, especially in C. I like star, as you can backtrack within a region, so long as you don't have more than one stopover in the same city (though mutliple connections are allowed).

So, for example, you can fly FRA-JFK-LAX-IAD-SFO-NRT...... (even though you are backtracking). You can even fly FRA-JFK-LAX-OGG-SFO-HNL-NRT....
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

Hirnie
Topic Author

Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:56 am

I´ve been to the US a lot of times and have alraedy seen a lot of places there. So I´d like to go via South America and then touch the US at the west coast to cross the pacific. Other priorities would be on south east Asia.

I´ve already got the planner of Star and did some calculations...there are some white spots on their map though....

deltaguy767

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:36 am

Even though Star seems to be the more world renowned Alliance when it comes to global travel, here's an example of a SkyTeam plan starting at JFK.

JFK-CDG (DL/AF) EWR (CO)
CDG-ICN (AF/KE)
ICN-NRT (NW?/KE)
NRT-LAX (NW)
LAX-NYC (NW/DL/CO) (NW via DTW/MSP)

You could also go from JFK/EWR to Prague,then backtrack to CDG to go on CSA.

From BDL,  wave 
DeltaGuy767
A Good Landing is one you walk away from!

HT

Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:53 am

Quoting Hirnie (Reply 3):
So I´d like to go via South America and then touch the US at the west coast to cross the pacific.

I once was considering a (westbound) RTW on *A through CCS (using TP LIS-CCS), but then found it extremely difficult to get out of that spot again ...
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

CXA330300

Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:08 am

Here's an itinerary for Star:

SA FRA-CPT
SA CPT-JNB
SA JNB-GRU
VG GRU-RIO
VG RIO-EZE
VG EZE-GRU
VG GRU-SSA
VG SSA-GRU
UA GRU-ORD
UA ORD-NRT
NH NRT-HKG
UA HKG-SGN
TG SGN-BKK
TG BKK-DPS
SQ DPS-SIN
SQ SIN-LHR
LH LHR-FRA
AC/AA/UA/DL/B6/WN/US*/CO*/FI/BA/IB/AF/SK/LX/Sabena*/TK/LY/SA/MN/SW/AM/CE*/CX/CA/MU/JL/SQ/TG/MH/KA/5J

Hirnie
Topic Author

Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:25 pm

Thanks for that itinerary CXA. Looks interesting in both, destinations and airlines. But will it work out? As far as I know only a max of 15 destinations is allowed at star. If more are allowed that would be nice though.

HT, I tought about Caracas as well, but I had the same problem: getting away from this spot....

Regards

CXA330300

Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:09 pm

Several of the flights on mine connect......
AC/AA/UA/DL/B6/WN/US*/CO*/FI/BA/IB/AF/SK/LX/Sabena*/TK/LY/SA/MN/SW/AM/CE*/CX/CA/MU/JL/SQ/TG/MH/KA/5J

spottingpete93

Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:32 am

I did RTW with Star Alliance in 2004 routing as follows:
LH AB6 LHR-FRA
SQ 744 FRA-SIN
SQ 772 SIN-KUL
TG 333 KUL-BKK (HS-TEL in Star Alliance colours funnily enough!)
TG 772 BKK-HKG
SQ 772/744 HKG via SIN to SYD
NZ 320 SYD-AKL
NZ 744 AKL-SFO
UA 735 SFO-YVR
UA 320 YVR-ORD
AC 320 ORD-YYZ
UA CR2/CR2 YYZ via IAD to JFK
RG M11 JFK-GRU
RG 738 GRU-GIG
RG 733/M11 GIG via GRU to LHR

B742

Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:04 am

You could try OneWorld from FRA:

QF FRA-SIN
CX SIN-HKG
CX HKG-NRT
AA NRT-LAX
LA LAX-LIM
IB LIM-MAD
EI MAD-DUB
BA DUB-LHR
BA LHR-HEL
AY HEL-FRA

Rob!  wave 

SKY1

Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:50 am

It depends what World area you can prefer.

In South America (within and to/from) the best alliance in coverage is OneWorld, in Asia Star Alliance has leadership (Asiana, Singapore, Thai, ANA) Over the North Atlantic and inside US and Mexico (NW, DL, CO, AM) SkyTeam has a great network.

Anyway, this subject is very personal. Everyone to his own taste.
Time flies! Enjoy life!

fbgdavidson

Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:31 am

If you want to focus on South America then give OW a go. LA has a good network down there with flights to Easter Island!

Then take your pick from CX, QF and BA for the longhauls. I think on average OW has the best airlines for it's size, but then that is my opinion.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

planemanofnz

Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:36 pm

I'd pick, Star Alliance because it has the best coverage plus you have lots of options starting off with LH. Also, NZ has a really good network within the pacific islands which might be worth having a look at. Also, star have the 2 only airlines in the world to offer true round the world service, NZ and SQ. Europe has heaps of *A carriers, so if you did not want to fly from europe to another continent on LH there are better airlines to choose from like NZ, ANA and SK. Also, there is good product offerings in Star. The best airlines in Star for each continent to me would be :
SQ-Asia
NZ-Oceania
SA-Africa
RG-South America
UA-North America
Swiss-Europe
Good variety of airlines to choose different route sturctures from.

SKY1

Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:06 am

Quoting Planemanofnz (Reply 13):
Star Alliance because it has the best coverage

Again you can't generalize.

It depends what countries and routes you wish to travel. Here you're an example:

I would like making someday a RTW trip like that:
MAD-LHR-DXB-HKG-JKT-PER /surface/ SYD-CHC /surface/ AKL-SCL-BOG-MAD.
This journey is just available with the Oneworld's network.

A small variation with Star Alliance could be: MAD-BKK/surface/ KUL-SIN-PER-AKL (or PER /surface/ SYD-CHC /surface/ AKL) AKL-LAX (or SFO) California-MAD. If you wish to visit New Zealand and South America in the same RTW a stop in North America is mandatory on the Star network ...unlike Oneworld.
Time flies! Enjoy life!

Hirnie
Topic Author

Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:01 am

Thanks for all the replies.

I think I have to make up my mind between Oneworld and Star...

HT

Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:28 am

Quoting SKY1 (Reply 14):
If you wish to visit New Zealand and South America in the same RTW a stop in North America is mandatory on the Star network

"mandatory" (*A) means "there is no non-stop flight from New Zealand to South America", but not "it is in the rule book to make a stop in North America" ...
HT