Reggaebird
Topic Author

Things To Do During Singapore Layover

Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:01 am

I will be flying from Saigon to New York via Singapore in early May. Does anyone have suggestions about how to spend a 9 hour layover at the airport or in the city? I have been to Singapore twice before but I need specific tips on quick tours or interesting places to visit in that short duration. Obviously, anything to do with commercial aviation would be great but other suggested topics are welcomed as well.

Reggaebird

LGWspeedbird

RE: Things To Do During Singapore Layover

Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:08 am

Check out this link

http://www.changi.airport.com.sg/changi/index.jsp?bmLocale=en

Click on transfer pax and it gives you a list of suggested activities, hope this helps

LGWspeedbird

PS my 200th Post!!  bouncy 
upcoming flights LHR-LAX-HNL-SFO-LHR

dutchjet

Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:08 am

Singapore has great stopover packages, check the SQ internet site. There are lots of opportunities for a day trip (most head into town and go shopping of course)....if you have nothing organized before your arrival at SIN, go the Stopover Kiosk in the terminal building and they will have info about thing to do...and the prices for transfers, tours, etc, are quite reasonable.

Lumberton

Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:10 am

Just take the MRT to Orchard Road. Great place to kill a few hours. I used to live in Singapore. I'm scheming to get back!
"When all is said and done, more will be said than done".

noelg

Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:13 am

We are doing exactly the same on 10 May. We land at 08.30 from AKL and don't depart until 23.55 to MAN, so are stuck for things to do!

Thanks for the link to the website, we might venture into Singapore city for the day!

Cheers,
Noel

ptrjong

Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:18 am

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Peter de Jong
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Peter de Jong

If you're interested in military aircraft, you could easily make it to the RSAF Museum. It's not big but quite nice. Drop a reply if you want more information.

Peter
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

georgiaame

Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:29 am

This is a very frequent topic that comes up on tripadvisor.com forums. It's a fabulous city, very easy transportation into town (20 minutes, in traffic), and a great deal to do. My favorite: the Asia Civilizations Museum, then lunch at any of the hawker stalls. Pack a swim suit, and use the pool at the airport before departure.
"Trust, but verify!" An old Russian proverb, quoted often by a modern American hero

9V-SPJ

Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:26 am

You can even watch a movie in the theatre at Changi if you don't want to leave the airport!

9V-SPJ

kdm

Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:56 am

Lots of options

Immigration takes between 4 and 5 minutes on a bad day, and you will most likely have your boarding pass for the next flight so just have to be at the gate approx 40 minutes before the flight (they do security checks at the gate rather than after immigration) so don't worry about not having time to leave the airport

Don't get the MRT it is quite slow, get a taxi, max of $20SG and 25 minutes to just about anywhere in Singapore. (and with 22,000 taxi's they are easy to get (unless it is raining and then they all go invisible)

Free stopover tour bus from airport around Singapore and back to airport is an option.

Sim Lim Square for electronics (probably not cheaper than US), and be prepared to be ripped off!

Orchard Road for lots of shops

Raffles long bar for a Singapore Sling

Rasa-Shangra La at Sentosa for lunch.

Little india for a look around

China Town

Almost time for a round of Golf (but expensive)

Or stay in the terminal and hang out by the outdoor pool that is in terminal 1 (you can hire towel's etc)

777ER
Crew

Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:56 am

Quoting 9V-SPJ (Reply 7):
You can even watch a movie in the theatre at Changi if you don't want to leave the airport!

Is there anything that you can't do at SIN?
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net for all Moderator contact

kdm

Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:46 pm

Quoting 777ER (Reply 9):
Is there anything that you can't do at SIN?

YES - You can not bring drugs, the penalty is severe.

planetime

Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:51 pm

Singapore the taxi is cheap so you can always make yourself around your way in taxi at all time. Also Changi airport has many things to do there. But as far as attractions you can go to Orchard street for shopping, Sarangoon Rd for some Indian Taste in singapore and shopping, Sentosa Island for a nice leisure time, these are a few to name lots of others out there.