MUTLEY
Topic Author

EWR / ANC Non-stop

Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:45 am

Hello everyone,

Just out of curiosity, why doesn't any airline offer non-stops to ANC from EWR or JFK?

I know Continental used to up to 2 years ago and now they do not. Even when I spoke to a Continental rep last month the person I spoke with said there are a lot of people who book for Alaska from the EWR/JFK area.

So my thoughts are if they have a plane that can do the distance before, and they have the demand, why not do a non-stop?

It must be something I'm missing because there are No airlines do a
non-stop. The only one I think that does one is "korean air" or "Japan Air".

Any opinions?

TIA

[Edited 2006-04-22 01:46:18]

AirCop

RE: EWR / ANC Non-stop

Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:39 am

Quoting MUTLEY (Thread starter):
I know Continental used to up to 2 years ago and now they do not. Even when I spoke to a Continental rep last month the person I spoke with said there are a lot of people who book for Alaska from the EWR/JFK area.

But can they make a profit?

MUTLEY
Topic Author

Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:29 pm

If they are sold out flights that connect or make plane changes through Seattle ( which is what a lot of carriers do), what is the difference? Why wouldn't they make a profit because they go straight through instead of stopping if all the passengers are going to ANC?

TIA

[Edited 2006-04-22 13:29:50]

ANCFlyer

Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:57 pm

The route for CO wasn't profitable . . . it was a full plane nearly every time, but simply wasn't making $$$ for CO . . . or, as I understood it, breaking even. They flew the route 3-4 years ago, only for 2 summers if I remember, I recall thinking, "Great, I just move back here from DC, and NOW they have a non-stop EWR-ANC" I had taken the DCA-IAH-ANC flights many times . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

MUTLEY
Topic Author

Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:36 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 3):
it was a full plane nearly every time, but simply wasn't making $$$ for CO . . . or, as I understood it, breaking even.

Thanks.
I don't understand the business like most on here, but assuming the executives at CO knew they were going to have full planes, wouldn't they be able to know by the numbers that they wouldn't turn a profit?

TIA

JBLUA320

Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:48 am

I think the route operates now with 1 stop in Seattle. The equipment is a 757-200 if I am not mistaken.

JBLU