comorin

BA Or MaxJet JFK-LON?

Sun May 14, 2006 2:57 am

After reading the Maxjet trip report I wanted to try something new for a biz trip to LON from NYC:

1. The baseline proposition is BA Club World, which costs me $1900 R/T with 15K net miles.

2. However, as excellent as BA is, I've done just one too many a Club World trip - I wish they'd hurry up and upgrade the product (whine, whine).

3. I checked Eos and Maxjet. Eos is $5,500 R/T and MaxJet is $1,000 R/T. Eos gets KO'd as it's too expensive.

4. Going with MaxJet will be an overnight flight on a non lie-flat seat. My involuntary muscles will be working hard to keep me from sliding down. It's also an early evening flight, which means I will be arriving at STN at peak REM time. Ugh.

5. The return leg to JFK is at 10 am from STN, a 45-minute train ride. So I'll have to get up at the crack of dawn. Again.

6. Stansted: What's it like - Is it difficult to get to from the West End? Will it mean staying at a hotel near Liverpool Street?

So on most counts BA wins - more convenient schedule, seat comfort on the overnight leg, Heathrow Express. On the other hand, MaxJet is cheaper and is a new experience.

Any thoughts appreciated!

roseflyer

RE: BA Or MaxJet JFK-LON?

Sun May 14, 2006 11:29 am

Well you summed it up very well. BA is the established airline that gives you a choice of departure time, more experienced crews, high quality seats, a useful frequent flyer program, a better airport choice among other things. Maxjet is cheaper. It is the low cost carrier of business class. Fly them if you want to save money or get a new experience. But BA is better in pretty much every respect.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

comorin

Sun May 14, 2006 12:01 pm

RoseFlyer,

Thanks for your comments - If I go Max I promise a trip report! BTW have you flown into STN?

cwldude

Mon May 15, 2006 10:58 am

Well I have no experience of none of these, but personally, even though most points you've made are against them, I'd love to try out MaxJet one day - at least you can say you've given them the chance to prove themselves!!

They do seem like a brilliant airline, so I'd definately say they're worth a go!
Thomson Airways - The UKs premier charter airline // now flown : BY -AA -AJ -AE -AT; OO -AX -AU -RA -BG; BRIG; OBYD

roseflyer

Mon May 15, 2006 11:53 am

Quoting Comorin (Reply 2):
RoseFlyer,

Thanks for your comments - If I go Max I promise a trip report! BTW have you flown into STN?

I've only flown to Heathrow, so I can't help you on that one. I have flown BA and they are a great airline, but the cost difference would probably get me to fly Maxjet if it was my own dime.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!