F9Animal
Topic Author

Is Alaska Airlines Safe?

Sun May 14, 2006 1:49 pm

Oh yes, this is a good subject. With all of the recent profits Alaska has squeezed out, I was wondering if they are cutting in the area of safety?

I remember Alaska 261 crashing into the ocean. Could this have been prevented?

How about the relationship with Menzies? They have jeopardized the safety of many passengers. Accidents galore, theft of luggage and cargo, felons on the ramp, and outright dangerous performance.

What are your feelings on the safety of Alaska Airlines?

http://www.king5.com/sharedcontent/northwest/flash/alaska2.htm
I Am A Different Animal!!

joffie

RE: Is Alaska Airlines Safe?

Sun May 14, 2006 2:01 pm

I have seen the same question asked a while ago.

I would imagine so. I would imagine their government or Flight safety board would close the airline down or suspend operations if it is not safe.

Sure Flight 261 was due to cost cutting, but they have a pretty good record. Look at an airline like AA who have had several crashes over the year

jetdeltamsy

Sun May 14, 2006 2:04 pm

Quoting F9Animal (Thread starter):
Oh yes, this is a good subject

No it is not. Alaska performs under the exact same oversight as every other US carrier. If you don't feel they are safe, fly another airline.

I remember Alaska 261 crashing into the ocean. Could this have been prevented?

Of course it could have been prevented by procedures now in place that are a result of that very crash...the screws are now oiled more frequently than was previously required. Accidents and disasters are how MANY, MANY inadequate or improper maintenance or other procedures are discovered and corrected.

TWA 800 resulted in changes in fuel tanks correcting a problem that nobody thought would ever result in a catastrophic failure. PanAm 759 resulted in the installation of windshear detection equipment years ahead of schedule because nobody knew windshear could be as severe it was in Kenner, Louisiana that day. The Swissair crash resulted in certain electrical wiring being insulated with Kevlar. Something is learned from virtually every disaster that enhances the safety of aviation in the future.

What are your feelings on the safety of Alaska Airlines?

Alaska Airlines is as safe as any other carrier operating in the U.S. Their crew are trained and equipment maintained to the same standards as every other airline, standards that are higher than required by the government.

The Menzies "issue" is really not an issue at all. Improper procedures happen with airline employees and subcontractors alike. It is Alaska's responsibility to provide reasonable oversight of subs, but errors happen all the time at all levels in any organization. You root out the slackers when their poor performance becomes apparent, replace them with competent folks and move on.

I've been flying professionally for 25 years and would not hesitate to board any Alaska aircraft.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

SUPRAZACHAIR

Sun May 14, 2006 2:11 pm

Guess someone needed their AS/Menzies bashing for the week. Thanks for never showing your true colors, guy.

Put me on an AS jet today, tomorrow, or any day of the week, thanks.

F9Animal
Topic Author

Sun May 14, 2006 2:35 pm

Quoting SupraZachAir (Reply 3):
Guess someone needed their AS/Menzies bashing for the week. Thanks for never showing your true colors, guy.

Put me on an AS jet today, tomorrow, or any day of the week, thanks.

How about your bag? Some of the worst baggage performance issues in the industry. Is that a cause of cost cuts? Lack of training?

Not sure about me being comfortable about hopping on an AS jet any day of the week. I don't need assurance that my oxygen mask and jack screw will work properly. Don't need assurance that the Menzies guys will report damage they inflicted on my flight. Don't need assurance that my luggage will arrive at my destination in one piece or not at all.

Back to the topic. Is Alaska Airlines really safe. Seeing how the anniversary of Valujet 592 came and went... Are we seeing another version of a Valujet 592 in the making?

roadrunner165

Sun May 14, 2006 2:39 pm

Yes, Alaska Airline is very safe.

Do a search, this question has been beaten to death....

Adam

SkyexRamper

Sun May 14, 2006 2:44 pm

Is Midwest safe??? After all they had 1 big time fatal crash back in the day under Midwest Express. DC-9 crashed after take off from RW 19R, took out a house or 2 also. Are they safe because of that?

Is any airline that's had a major issue like that safe? 95% of the time yes they are. Airlines have small Mx issues all the time because well, stuff fails and mechanics try to catch it before that happens but its a man made object, its bound to fail sooner or later.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

gunsontheroof

Sun May 14, 2006 3:00 pm

You're a reporter, aren't you?

visakow

Sun May 14, 2006 3:11 pm

I thought a crew chief from Alaska had 60 counts against him from forcing Mech's to sign off work documents. Once again that was the media and maybe/probably blown out of proportion.

I flew Alaska about a year & 1/2 ago, SEA-SFO-SEA and was satisfied with overall experience. Other than a string of negative stories on KOMO 4 I enjoyed my flights.

KabAir

Sun May 14, 2006 3:38 pm

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 4):
Not sure about me being comfortable about hopping on an AS jet any day of the week. I don't need assurance that my oxygen mask and jack screw will work properly. Don't need assurance that the Menzies guys will report damage they inflicted on my flight. Don't need assurance that my luggage will arrive at my destination in one piece or not at all.

I don't think you started this thread with any impartiality did you?  Smile

AS is a very safe airline. The one disaster several years ago was regretable and very sad, but considering you don't see MD-80's dropping into the ocean on a regular basis, I wouldn't worry too much. Is it another ValuJet 592 in the making? Well, that crash was a result of hazardous materials if I'm not mistaken, and so is probably not terribly relevent to the things that you are bringing up.

May I ask what your grudge against AS is?
wow, there sure are a lot of expert economists on this forum....

KabAir

Sun May 14, 2006 4:03 pm

F9Animal,

Where did you get your journalism degree? Seriously, I'm not trying to be a jerk here but my wife is a journalist and she doesn't go about researching stories the way you do. She impartially seeks out facts and both sides of the issue and then reports things without bias - just the facts. Which is what I thought journalism was supposed to be? You seem to me like you're on a witch hunt and not much else. If people respond to your comments and you lash back out and tell them why you're wrong that is in NO WAY journalism - that's commentary. So if you consider yourself a commentator then fine. But a reporter?......
wow, there sure are a lot of expert economists on this forum....

VonRichtofen

Sun May 14, 2006 4:32 pm

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 4):
How about your bag? Some of the worst baggage performance issues in the industry. Is that a cause of cost cuts? Lack of training?

Back to the topic. Is Alaska Airlines really safe. Seeing how the anniversary of Valujet 592 came and went... Are we seeing another version of a Valujet 592 in the making?

Well despite several users factually answering your question you still go on about it. It seems the only answer you'll accept is one that coincides with your skewed version of reality...

Next

F9Animal
Topic Author

Sun May 14, 2006 4:32 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 17):
You're right - WN had planes slide off the runway and onto busy streets. Twice. In a span of just a few years.

So where's your moral indignation and heartfelt cry for a review of their operations? Show me. Prove to me you're impartial, smart guy.

Because right now all you're doing is further killing whatever respect you may have once had here.

If Alaska can prove to me that they have taken measures to ensure Menzies is performing and changing the way they report aircraft strikes, then I will be happy. I have those planes flying over my house, and personally, I don't want to be the unlucky one. I have a vested interest in knowing that Alaska is jumping all over Menzies butts to ensure a safe operation.

For the sake of my friends and family, I have a heartfelt cry to know what the outcome of the review was. I also have a hearfelt cry to know that Alaska has actually done something to fix the problem. I don't want to hear they put another bandaid on the problem. I want to know that they whooped these guys into shape.

Remember, Menzies got Alaska into the bad media spotlight. And Alaska was the one who hired Menzies to do the job. Both parties have to hold the same amount of responsibility.

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 17):
As a 14 year AS employee, I fly on our planes each week for business. I also place my family and friends on our planes.

Do you think for a moment that I'd put my life or the lives of the people I love in jeopardy if I thought AS wasn't safe? Do you?

The fact that I continue to fly them along with friends and family is all the proof you need, pal.

Let me start by saying that I have full respect for you as a person. Again, you have every right to stick up for your company. It is your company for crying out loud. But, you too have to admit that when the news hit, you shook your head. Can you tell me what your CEO and Executive team have done to ensure compliance?

Quoting KabAir (Reply 19):
F9Animal,

Where did you get your journalism degree? Seriously, I'm not trying to be a jerk here but my wife is a journalist and she doesn't go about researching stories the way you do. She impartially seeks out facts and both sides of the issue and then reports things without bias - just the facts. Which is what I thought journalism was supposed to be? You seem to me like you're on a witch hunt and not much else. If people respond to your comments and you lash back out and tell them why you're wrong that is in NO WAY journalism - that's commentary. So if you consider yourself a commentator then fine. But a reporter?......

I am not trying to be a jerk either KabAir. I think I have a vested concern about this issue. I also respect your feelings about this issue too.

I got all of the facts, and looked at both sides. I never said that I was never wrong, but I have facts, documents, and footage to prove the allegations are true about the media reports. Alaska cannot deny the validity to the allegations and facts. When you have security, safety, and integrity issues in an airline, that alone is not comforting.

As far as what I do for a living, I cannot share. I can say that I have a strong background in the subject you are questioning though.  Smile

lowrider

Mon May 15, 2006 6:47 am

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 12):
For the sake of my friends and family, I have a heartfelt cry to know what the outcome of the review was. I also have a hearfelt cry to know that Alaska has actually done something to fix the problem. I don't want to hear they put another bandaid on the problem. I want to know that they whooped these guys into shape.

Its getting a little deep there, don't you think? Why don't you simply email the NTSB and the FAA to see what the outcome was? Email Alaska see what they say. I can only think of two US carriers that I would have reservations about putting my family on, and Alaska is certainly not one of them.
Proud OOTSK member

F9Animal
Topic Author

Mon May 15, 2006 8:03 am

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 13):
Its getting a little deep there, don't you think? Why don't you simply email the NTSB and the FAA to see what the outcome was? Email Alaska see what they say. I can only think of two US carriers that I would have reservations about putting my family on, and Alaska is certainly not one of them.

Deep is an understatement. Gangs, intoxicated workers, thieves, unreported aircraft strikes, hazmat errors, animals thrown like rag dolls, animals stolen, weight and balance issues, carts of bags missing flights, lost luggage galore, day labor employees working your flights, and the list goes on and on and on and on.

If you don't believe me, then take a visit to SEA and take a look for yourself. Watch the operation for a few hours, and you will be simply sickened at what Alaska has done to the operation. Most people don't look outside and see the chaos at an airport. If you think a hub is chaos, then SEA Alaska ramp is a chaotic disaster.

I will be visiting again soon, and I will take additional video and share it. In fact, I am sending some of the footage to Americas Funniest Home Videos. The bag cart flipping over full of luggage, and the driver of the carts driving down the ramp with the flipped over cart sparking across the ramp. The driver never knew that sharp turn and high speed could flip a cart. He kept on going until someone flagged him down and stopped him. Oh man, who cares about the damaged luggage! It was worth the laughs!

lowrider

Mon May 15, 2006 8:12 am

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 14):
Gangs, intoxicated workers, thieves, unreported aircraft strikes, hazmat errors, animals thrown like rag dolls, animals stolen, weight and balance issues, carts of bags missing flights, lost luggage galore, day labor employees working your flights, and the list goes on and on and on and on.

Sounds like a normal day at ORD
Proud OOTSK member

HorizonGirl

Mon May 15, 2006 10:31 am

This is not a good subject.  Smile

AS is the best airline in my eyes.
They are just as good if not better than a lot of other airlines.
And just think about how many airlines have had their
preventable crashes.
Whatever makes an airplane crash, there is always
going to be a cause. There is most often something that could
have been done about it, but it was discovered too late.
Things happen. It was a horrible event,
and many people were affected, but we can't
very well hold it against them forever.
AS is not my favourite airline for no reason.
If you knew me you would instantly know that I have
Brutally high standards for an airline to make it even
close to my top 10.
Alaska Airlines rules!

Devon
Flying high on the Wings of the Great Northwest!

alaska737

Mon May 15, 2006 12:36 pm

First off i would like you to try and find better qualified and skilled pilots anywhere. secondly there aircraft are new and very well kept. (the MAWD DAWGS are being phased out) and alaska has had two major crashes since 1950.(261 and the juneau accident of the 70's....Shemeya was a military charter.) thats very good considering the weather they fly in every day. also since 261 AS has strived to make saftey a top priority. and just because an airline can squeeze out a profit doesnt mean they aren't safe, sorry to burst your bubble F9Animal

Deep is an understatement. Gangs, intoxicated workers, thieves, unreported aircraft strikes, hazmat errors, animals thrown like rag dolls, animals stolen, weight and balance issues, carts of bags missing flights, lost luggage galore, day labor employees working your flights, and the list goes on and on and on and on.

jesus christ shut up!!!!! oh my god the workers dropped a bag, FLIP OUT!!! crap that bag touched the skin of the plane lets take it out of service for a week and inspect the damage. shut up and quit bringing AS down. for gods sake, F9 decided to make a TV show out of their flight attendent school. yes thats professional. i wouldnt feel safe in an aircraft with half of those people. now you need to end your little rampage on AS and go find some other airline to attempt to screw.

F9Animal
Topic Author

Mon May 15, 2006 1:05 pm

Quoting Alaska737 (Reply 17):
jesus christ shut up!!!!! oh my god the workers dropped a bag, FLIP OUT!!! crap that bag touched the skin of the plane lets take it out of service for a week and inspect the damage. shut up and quit bringing AS down. for gods sake, F9 decided to make a TV show out of their flight attendent school. yes thats professional. i wouldnt feel safe in an aircraft with half of those people. now you need to end your little rampage on AS and go find some other airline to attempt to screw.

Dropped a bag? Where did you come up with that one from? More like threw a dog in a kennel like a bag.

BTW- Why did you tell Jesus to shut up? He has nothing to do with this subject.

alaska737

Mon May 15, 2006 1:08 pm

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 18):
Dropped a bag? Where did you come up with that one from? More like threw a dog in a kennel like a bag.

yes and i suppose F9 gives them kibbles and bits and sets them softly on a goose down pillow.

F9Animal
Topic Author

Mon May 15, 2006 1:16 pm

Quoting Alaska737 (Reply 19):
yes and i suppose F9 gives them kibbles and bits and sets them softly on a goose down pillow.

I have never in my career observed any ramp worker throw a kennel with an animal inside of it. Never.

Are you justifying Menzies? Are you saying that it is acceptable to throw a kennel with an animal inside of it?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...alnews/2002730539_flyingdog10.html

[Edited 2006-05-15 06:26:06]

lowrider

Tue May 16, 2006 1:05 am

Gangs, intoxicated workers, thieves, unreported aircraft strikes, hazmat errors, animals thrown like rag dolls, animals stolen, weight and balance issues

Sounds like issues for the airport police and the FAA. Why don't you talk to someone who can do something about it, rather than rant here? If your concern is so truely heartfelt, then expend your energy doing something that can make a difference.

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 20):
Are you justifying Menzies? Are you saying that it is acceptable to throw a kennel with an animal inside of it?

It is not acceptable, but it also has no bearing on the original question re. the safety of Alaska Airlines. Call PETA, they are interested in this sort of thing.
Proud OOTSK member

AirWillie6475

Tue May 16, 2006 3:45 am

Yes, Alaska is safe except for the fact that they have had more accidents the last few years than any other airline and the last major fatal one. As far as the Menzies question, what do you expect? Menzies is run by people that count the days till the next drug test and people that barely graduated high school, at least here in the states.

The problem is that at Menzies, the managers were once the ramp agents meaning they work their way up, this could be good and bad. Bad meaning even though they have a higer job they still are the same idiots who barely graduated high school. I am ashamed to say that I went to apply at Menzies for a ramp job for the summer. When I saw the croud that I would be working with I got the hell out of there. LOL I remember the secretary that processed my application, she asked me "Wow you're actually going to college???" That's when you know it's not the best place to work.

[Edited 2006-05-15 20:48:06]

F9Animal
Topic Author

Tue May 16, 2006 7:15 am

Quoting AirWillie6475 (Reply 22):
Yes, Alaska is safe except for the fact that they have had more accidents the last few years than any other airline and the last major fatal one. As far as the Menzies question, what do you expect? Menzies is run by people that count the days till the next drug test and people that barely graduated high school, at least here in the states.

The problem is that at Menzies, the managers were once the ramp agents meaning they work their way up, this could be good and bad. Bad meaning even though they have a higer job they still are the same idiots who barely graduated high school. I am ashamed to say that I went to apply at Menzies for a ramp job for the summer. When I saw the croud that I would be working with I got the hell out of there. LOL I remember the secretary that processed my application, she asked me "Wow you're actually going to college???" That's when you know it's not the best place to work.

LMAO! That is funny. I bet the secretary wrote a note on your application. In fact I found the note! It says:

Dis guy be goeing to collage! He be da good guy on da ramp. U nead to higher him wright away! Dis be one of da few good aplicants dat applyed to day.

AirWillie6475

Tue May 16, 2006 7:23 am

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 23):
I bet the secretary wrote a note on your application.

Actually I interviewed on the spot. The secretary looked at me told me to wait a minute, next thing I knew I was interviewing with the main manager at the airport. As I was about to leave she did tell me that normally they would wait to call back but since I had college experience that's all they needed. Since I already had prior aviation knowledge, I was the first one to pass the class room training, the other drug addicts needed the whole day to pass the test. UHH, what is the airport code for Spokane, or what is the airport code for los angles int. Can I put Dry Ice next to animals in the cargo hold, can I?

[Edited 2006-05-16 00:25:34]

[Edited 2006-05-16 00:30:38]

[Edited 2006-05-16 00:31:53]

HorizonGirl

Tue May 16, 2006 8:04 am

Quoting Alaska737 (Reply 17):
jesus christ shut up!!

Oh you just said everything I wouldn't dare say.
But you know, I was thinking it.

Anyways, he wasn't telling Jesus to shut up.
He was telling you to do so.
Maybe it would be better stated-

Jesus Christ would you shut up!!  bigthumbsup 

Forgive me. I couldn't not say it.

Devon
Flying high on the Wings of the Great Northwest!

alaska737

Tue May 16, 2006 9:02 am

Yes, Alaska is safe except for the fact that they have had more accidents the last few years than any other airline and the last major fatal one

humm thats odd, last time i checked the AA flight out of JFK killed over 200 people in 2001 (not 9/11, the A300) and AS 261 killed 88 in 2000 so i would say that the AA is more recent and the last major fatal one. and there would be many more if we were counting international carriers.

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 20):

so i want to understand where you are comming from, you are saying that AS is "totally unsafe and sould be reid from the skies" because ONE menzine tosses a dog onto a belt loader....hummmm news must be slow these days. anyway F9 your little fun with AS is done please go attempt to POORLY screw over antother airline, thank you

bushpilot

Tue May 16, 2006 9:06 am

In short yes, I am not thrilled about menzies, mostly because they are scabs. The 261 flt was tragic of course, but AS flies an ambitious schedule, they have had thier problems with on time performance. They are phasing out thier 732Cs and the MD-80s, most of the rest of thier fleet is quite new. Keep in mind that AS flies in among the most difficult and harsh conditions every minute of the day in the state of AK. They have had two serious crashes in commercial use since 1960. If you dont think they are safe, its pretty simple, dont fly with them. I am more concerned with these upstart companies like B6 and F9 than I am AS.

alaska737

Tue May 16, 2006 9:13 am

Quoting Bushpilot (Reply 27):
I am more concerned with these upstart companies like B6 and F9 than I am AS.

agreed, the companies that know nothing about air travel and figure, humm i have new planes so noting will go wrong scare me a little. especially when they decide to make a TV show out of their flight attendent training.

Keep in mind that AS flies in among the most difficult and harsh conditions every minute of the day in the state of AK.

amen, since Reeve Aleutian went under no one even comes close.

AirWillie6475

Tue May 16, 2006 9:28 am

Quoting Alaska737 (Reply 26):
humm thats odd, last time i checked the AA flight out of JFK killed over 200 people in 2001

That's true but the AA flight was cause by pilot error. Alaska was mx issue.

bushpilot

Tue May 16, 2006 10:35 am

Quoting AirWillie6475 (Reply 29):
That's true but the AA flight was cause by pilot error. Alaska was mx issue.

Well according to F9Animal, it appears that crashes caused by pilot error are much worse than Mx issues. AS has some of the best pilots out there, but it doesnt make a difference because menzies had some ramper flop a dog kennel probably with an overwieght german sheppard in it onto the belt, and a tragic accident that probably wont happen again concerning the jack screw. But hey check it out if your a passenger on B6 you can watch your impending doom aboard on CNN when the landing gear malfunctions. Thankfully GOOD Pilots were able to put that back on earth safely. A bad pilot can crash a well maintained plane just as well as an experienced one can with a maintenance SNAFU.

F9Animal
Topic Author

Tue May 16, 2006 11:24 am

Quoting Alaska737 (Reply 28):
agreed, the companies that know nothing about air travel and figure, humm i have new planes so noting will go wrong scare me a little. especially when they decide to make a TV show out of their flight attendent training.

Companies that know nothing about air travel? Most of the employees with F9 and B6 decided to leave airlines that thought they knew everything. Obviously with the state of the airline industry, the guys that have the new planes and know nothing, seem to be in better shape than those that know it all.

Speaking of shows, guess WN would fall into the Alaska737 "airlines that know nothing" category. F9 did not decide to make a show. In fact, F9 won the opportunity. The other airline (America West, I think), was also in the running for it. Free publicity, and a show that educates those interested in becoming a flight attendant that the job is not all that easy. Neither is the training. So I guess if Alaska Flight Attendant Training show came out, I should be scared.

humm thats odd, last time i checked the AA flight out of JFK killed over 200 people in 2001 (not 9/11, the A300) and AS 261 killed 88 in 2000 so i would say that the AA is more recent and the last major fatal one. and there would be many more if we were counting international carriers.

Are you trying to compare body bags? No disaster is worth comparing. AS 261 was preventable. The pilots were given a plane that should have never even been in the air.

so i want to understand where you are comming from, you are saying that AS is "totally unsafe and sould be reid from the skies" because ONE menzine tosses a dog onto a belt loader....hummmm news must be slow these days. anyway F9 your little fun with AS is done please go attempt to POORLY screw over antother airline, thank you

No I never said that. Alaska should rid of Menzies, BEFORE Menzies plows into another shiny new Alaska Airlines jet.

And as for the dog, you forget about the 20 plus aircraft strikes, with at least 5 of those not being reported! You seem to not have read this. Why don't you take the time to read through the link. Maybe you should take a few minutes to educate yourself on the poor safety and issues. You forget, Alaska hired these guys to do the work. Alaska in my book holds the responsibility for anything Menzies does to tarnish their image. If a plane goes down because of Menzies, Alaska will be in the history books along with Valujet.

Quoting AirWillie6475 (Reply 24):
Actually I interviewed on the spot. The secretary looked at me told me to wait a minute, next thing I knew I was interviewing with the main manager at the airport. As I was about to leave she did tell me that normally they would wait to call back but since I had college experience that's all they needed. Since I already had prior aviation knowledge, I was the first one to pass the class room training, the other drug addicts needed the whole day to pass the test. UHH, what is the airport code for Spokane, or what is the airport code for los angles int. Can I put Dry Ice next to animals in the cargo hold, can I?

LMAO! Yes, amen.... You are a speaking example of the hiring practices.

In short yes, I am not thrilled about menzies, mostly because they are scabs. The 261 flt was tragic of course, but AS flies an ambitious schedule, they have had thier problems with on time performance. They are phasing out thier 732Cs and the MD-80s, most of the rest of thier fleet is quite new. Keep in mind that AS flies in among the most difficult and harsh conditions every minute of the day in the state of AK. They have had two serious crashes in commercial use since 1960. If you dont think they are safe, its pretty simple, dont fly with them. I am more concerned with these upstart companies like B6 and F9 than I am AS.

And I totally agree with you on the Alaska pilots. AS is darned lucky to have the best pilots in the industry. They also have excellent CSA's, Flight Attendants, and Mechs. Nothing in my postings has ever been aimed at the TRUE Alaska Airlines employees.

Menzies??? Gotta go!

alaska737

Tue May 16, 2006 11:28 am

Quoting AirWillie6475 (Reply 29):
That's true but the AA flight was cause by pilot error

also a controller mistake and a design flaw.

Alaska is safe except for the fact that they have had more accidents the last few years than any other airline

thats a bold statment and i would like to see any numbers veryifing that if you could, thank you.

F9Animal
Topic Author

Tue May 16, 2006 11:39 am

BTW- This was not the first incident of animal ABUSE at Menzies. And read the link before you post. Instead of using a beltloader, the Menzies Moron lifted the kennel, and launched it into the bin of the aircraft. Keep in mind, the passenger watched in horror. Please tell me you don't plan to work for Alaska.

Quoting Alaska737 (Reply 32):
Alaska is safe except for the fact that they have had more accidents the last few years than any other airline

thats a bold statment and i would like to see any numbers veryifing that if you could, thank you.

DUDE! Click on this link and read. Watch the news! LMAO.

Nevermind, saw the Age: 16-20

Quoting Bushpilot (Reply 30):
Well according to F9Animal, it appears that crashes caused by pilot error are much worse than Mx issues. AS has some of the best pilots out there, but it doesnt make a difference because menzies had some ramper flop a dog kennel probably with an overwieght german sheppard in it onto the belt, and a tragic accident that probably wont happen again concerning the jack screw. But hey check it out if your a passenger on B6 you can watch your impending doom aboard on CNN when the landing gear malfunctions. Thankfully GOOD Pilots were able to put that back on earth safely. A bad pilot can crash a well maintained plane just as well as an experienced one can with a maintenance SNAFU.

I really don't know how to respond to this one. At least B6 has good IFE. If I am not mistaken, B6 got excellent publicity from that incident.

alaska737

Tue May 16, 2006 11:54 am

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 33):
Please tell me you don't plan to work for Alaska.

actually my dream is to be a 737 captain for Alaska, you know good pilots work for good airlines.

I really don't know how to respond to this one. At least B6 has good IFE. If I am not mistaken, B6 got excellent publicity from that incident.

yes IFE and making sure your dumb shitzu is happy is more important then the quality and professionalism of the flight crew.

DUDE! Click on this link and read. Watch the news! LMAO

oh i apologize my version of news isn't the national enquirer.

Click on this link and read

yes that says absolutly nothing about them being the most unsafe airline. 2 crashes since 1950....not bad never in bankruptcy since 1932, guess we will see about F9 in a few years, they will be sleeping with the fishies.

F9Animal
Topic Author

Tue May 16, 2006 12:10 pm

Quoting Alaska737 (Reply 34):
actually my dream is to be a 737 captain for Alaska, you know good pilots work for good airlines.

Actually, I wish you the best of luck. Feelings set aside regarding this topic.

yes IFE and making sure your dumb shitzu is happy is more important then the quality and professionalism of the flight crew.

Again, this has nothing to do with the flight crew. This has everything to do with Menzies. The Alaska rampers were 100 percent more professional than Menzies. In fact, I would say that figure could be increased by about 10000000 times.

yes that says absolutly nothing about them being the most unsafe airline. 2 crashes since 1950....not bad never in bankruptcy since 1932, guess we will see about F9 in a few years, they will be sleeping with the fishies.

Okay... It has nothing about being the "MOST UNSAFE" airline, but clearly shows that safety has to be questioned.

Thats right, your in Alaska. They don't have televisions up there. LOL! I will send the smoke signals to you to read.

[Edited 2006-05-16 05:12:17]

alaska737

Tue May 16, 2006 12:25 pm

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 35):
Actually, I wish you the best of luck. Feelings set aside regarding this topic

thank you

but clearly shows that safety has to be questioned.

well its mainly safety due to menzines not with the managment, MX, A/C, or flight crews

alaska737

Tue May 16, 2006 12:34 pm

ts right, your in Alaska. They don't have televisions up there. LOL! I will send the smoke signals to you to read.

haha funny considering AK is the only self sustaining state in the nation. im sorry we dont sit on our butts and watch jerry springer, we work hard and play harder. but no keep making your jokes that no one laughs at. BTW im about 1500 miles away from AK right now.

F9Animal
Topic Author

Tue May 16, 2006 12:48 pm

Quoting Alaska737 (Reply 36):
well its mainly safety due to menzines not with the managment, MX, A/C, or flight crews

AMEN!!!! AMEN!!!!! You said it yourself!!! AMEN!!! Jesus Christ does exist!!!!

Quoting Alaska737 (Reply 37):
haha funny considering AK is the only self sustaining state in the nation. im sorry we dont sit on our butts and watch jerry springer, we work hard and play harder. but no keep making your jokes that no one laughs at. BTW im about 1500 miles away from AK right now.

Hey now! No need to slam on Jerry now. Half of the show is Menzies employees!

roadrunner165

Tue May 16, 2006 1:04 pm

F9Animal,

What exactly are you trying to accomplish with this thread?? It appears to me that you simply want to argue about how bad of an airline Alaska Airlines is. If you don't like Alaska Airlines then do not fly them. I think you are more upset at the Menzies then Alaska Airlines so maybe you should change your topic to "Are Menzies Safe?"

Please take your crummy thoughts elsewhere.. If you think citing TV media outlets are good sources you should be ashamed of yourself; we all know the media uses sensationalism in their journalism.

Adam

BTW... I live in Alaska and I have television....

AirWillie6475

Tue May 16, 2006 1:38 pm

Quoting Alaska737 (Reply 32):
also a controller mistake and a design flaw.

There is no need to use rudder inflight an certainly not to the extent that the AA pilot did. It WAS A PILOT MISTAKE, controllers can only do so much, they aren't there in the cockpit to add power on takeoff it's up to the pilots to start the takeoff eventhough there was a 747 that departed ahead of them and ATC was telling them to take off. There is no such thing as a controller mistake unless they vector you to fly into a mountain. It's always up to the pilot as to what to do especially on that takeoff run. Desing flaw is complet Bull SH*T. PILOT ERROR!

F9Animal
Topic Author

Tue May 16, 2006 1:56 pm

Quoting Roadrunner165 (Reply 39):
Please take your crummy thoughts elsewhere.. If you think citing TV media outlets are good sources you should be ashamed of yourself; we all know the media uses sensationalism in their journalism.

Ask the 40 plus lawsuits coming in the next 2 months if the media sensationalized the stories.

Crummy thoughts? Crummy is the sound that a plane makes when a plane is struck by ramp equipment. Ashamed of myself? Hell no. Proud.. Hell yes.

Again, we will see the outcome of how safe Alaska is in about 2 months.

roadrunner165

Tue May 16, 2006 2:28 pm

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 41):
Ask the 40 plus lawsuits coming in the next 2 months if the media sensationalized the stories.

Of course not, lawyers are going to use the negative media coverage to their advantage. I doubt that we will ever see a civil case against Alaska regarding the Menzies actually go to trial. If a case has merit, AS will settle out of court.

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 41):
Ashamed of myself? Hell no. Proud.. Hell yes.

Your taking my words out of context. I am saying that you should take everything you her from the media with a pinch of salt.
Remember, these are the people who make headline/breaking news out of airliners making emergency landings for Christ sakes....  sarcastic 

Adam

F9Animal
Topic Author

Wed May 17, 2006 1:48 am

ROFL! And nobody believes me. Guess this is normal,,, right? Nothing to worry about. This is oversensationalized. Relax! Enjoy your flight! This is a daily occurance in this industry folks! Now jump!!!!
AS Evac. @ SFO/15 May (by 28L28L May 16 2006 in Civil Aviation)

http://www.komotv.com/stories/43449.htm

MDorBust

Wed May 17, 2006 2:16 am

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 43):
ROFL! And nobody believes me. Guess this is normal,,, right? Nothing to worry about. This is oversensationalized. Relax! Enjoy your flight! This is a daily occurance in this industry folks! Now jump!!!!

AS Evac. @ SFO/15 May (by 28L28L May 16 2006 in Civil Aviation)

http://www.komotv.com/stories/43449.htm

Okay, some simple steps for you:

• Get back on your meds, you're twinking on us
  • Google "Smoke in cabin".
  • Take a deep breath and sort through the millions of returns

It's not that unusual, is not always indicative of a major fault, and has been experienced by all the majors in the last year.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

F9Animal
Topic Author

Wed May 17, 2006 2:28 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 44):
Okay, some simple steps for you:

* Get back on your meds, you're twinking on us
* Google "Smoke in cabin".
* Take a deep breath and sort through the millions of returns

It's not that unusual, is not always indicative of a major fault, and has been experienced by all the majors in the last year.

1. Meds? WTF? LMAO! How would meds help me? Should I take some before boarding an AS flight? Yeah! I could become a trillionaire! Great idea!

2. I got a direct link to Snoop Doggy Dog's website. Then I got Soul Plane's link. Is this a sign?

3. I took deep breaths. Should I be "smoking" something, or was that comment in refrence to what the passengers were doing on that flight?

Smile

AirPacific747

Wed May 17, 2006 4:45 am

I saw a program on Discovery not so long ago with an Alaskan MD-80 I think it was that crashed down off the coast of California. It had something to do with a bolt in the tail section of the aircraft.

Bridogger6

Wed May 17, 2006 5:28 am

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 31):
Speaking of shows, guess WN would fall into the Alaska737 "airlines that know nothing" category. F9 did not decide to make a show. In fact, F9 won the opportunity. The other airline (America West, I think), was also in the running for it. Free publicity, and a show that educates those interested in becoming a flight attendant that the job is not all that easy. Neither is the training. So I guess if Alaska Flight Attendant Training show came out, I should be scared.

Actually it was scheduled to be filmed based on HP training... however, we cancelled the class that was supposed to be filmed as we no longer needed the FA's.

BTW... I'm pretty sure every thinks you're a total jerk, you should probably stop talk about this subject.

alaska737

Wed May 17, 2006 9:52 am

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 31):
In fact, F9 won the opportunity. The other airline (America West, I think), was also in the running for it. Free publicity, and a show that educates those interested in becoming a flight attendant that the job is not all that easy. Neither is the training. So I guess if Alaska Flight Attendant Training show came out

no that just makes F9 look stupid. it puts pressure on the people attempting to train the trainees and forces people to make bad decisions due to the ever present camera. my dad was offered to have the discovery channel film on one of his boats for show "The Dedliest Catch", but being smart he declined.

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 38):
Quoting Alaska737 (Reply 36):

AMEN!!!! AMEN!!!!! You said it yourself!!! AMEN!!! Jesus Christ does exist!!!!

yes correct i said it but i did NOT blow it out of proportion.

aerorobnz

Wed May 17, 2006 1:59 pm

I bloody well hope so, I flew up to ANC with them yesterday and have 2 more sectors in a few days. Actually no problems with AS, except the lack of headphone jacks in the Y seats but that's no safety issue.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.