eelonghorn

Best Economy Class To Taiwain From AUS?

Mon May 22, 2006 10:40 am

I will be flying from AUS to Taiwan at the end of the year, and I have been looking for a flight. I was looking for opinions on the available flights/airlines to Taiwan in economy class.

Thanks,
John

joeljack

RE: Best Economy Class To Taiwain From AUS?

Mon May 22, 2006 10:54 am

If you are willing to pay a little extra for economy plus on United, I think it is worth the money for an extra 5" of leg room. You can do a 2 stop via SFO and NRT or you could do a 1 stop via ORD (makes for a really long flight)

Longhornmaniac

Mon May 22, 2006 11:09 am

I just did some sample dates (Dec. 14-21) And came up with these possiblities:

AUS-LAX-TPE (AUS-LAX on AA, LAX-TPE on EVA Air)
5:45 PM-6:55 PM AUS-LAX AA427
11:30 PM-5:50 AM LAX-TPE AA7957 There is also one that leaves at 11:55 PM.

AUS-IAH-TPE (AUS-IAH on CO, IAH-TPE on China Airlines, IAH-TPE has one stop in SEA) This is Dec 12-19th FYI
7:15 PM-8:14 PM AUS-IAH CO1573
10:20 PM-5:55 AM IAH-TPE via SEA CI15

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

echster

Mon May 22, 2006 11:39 am

Bag the EVA Air flight in economy. If you so choose to fly BR, spend the extra and go Evergreen Deluxe/Elite class (Y+).

TPEcanuck

Mon May 22, 2006 11:49 am

EELonghorn,

Echster is right if you are looking for direct. THE BR Evergreen Deluxe is a very good deal...bigger seat, but otherwise the same as economy.

Another nice choice in my opinion is CX. I love the service, and the route doesn't involve going too far out of the way.

Another choice would be SQ. Great, maybe a little more out of the way than CX though.

Another possibility might be Malaysian Airlines.

As for JoelJack's suggestion to go to Taiwan via the US...uhm! WOW! You really love to add extra miles, hours and costs to you itineraries? (Or am I totally wrong, and this route is somewhat 'on the way'??!)! Plus, United's economy just can't compete with CX or SQ, and even BR would give it a good run for the money!

Have fun in Taiwan when you get here. Go for CX  Smile

Darren

sccutler

Mon May 22, 2006 1:25 pm

Quoting TPEcanuck (Reply 4):
As for JoelJack's suggestion to go to Taiwan via the US...uhm! WOW! You really love to add extra miles, hours and costs to you itineraries? (Or am I totally wrong, and this route is somewhat 'on the way'??!)! Plus, United's economy just can't compete with CX or SQ, and even BR would give it a good run for the money!

Darren:

Gentle reminder, AUS is Austin, Texas, which (while we Texans are not always willing to admit it...) is in the US.

==

As to the original question, I'd avoid transitting at LAX if at all possible; that is a real sh*thole of an airport.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

pipo777

Mon May 22, 2006 1:50 pm

BR also offers flights from SFO and SEA...

satx

Mon May 22, 2006 2:13 pm

Quoting Echster (Reply 3):
Bag the EVA Air flight in economy. If you so choose to fly BR, spend the extra and go Evergreen Deluxe/Elite class

checkmark  100% Stick to the Asian carriers for the international segments if you can and stay away from the domestic Y cabins unless you get a much better fare out of it.

Quoting TPEcanuck (Reply 4):

As for JoelJack's suggestion to go to Taiwan via the US...uhm! WOW!

LOL!  Big grin That's too funny.

Quoting SCCutler (Reply 5):

As to the original question, I'd avoid transitting at LAX if at all possible; that is a real sh*thole of an airport.

I don't fly through LAX on a regular basis, and maybe I just happened to miss the really bad terminals (I've flown CO, DL, and WN in/out of LAX) but I'm not sure how it could be much more of a dump than what you see at other major gateways. I've connected to/from international flights from other domestic gateways like DFW, ORD, and JFK and none of them really blew me away either. Gateways outside the US like BKK's DM, NRT's T2, and LHR's T3 are pretty bad too. In fact, most major gateway airports just seem to suck period.

At least LAX has all sorts of good spotting to be had and a more relaxed attitude toward photography than I expected for such a major gateway.
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

eelonghorn

Tue May 23, 2006 8:01 am

Thanks for the info everybody.

-John

zrs70

Tue May 23, 2006 8:56 pm

One way US-TPE in business is notiriously low. You can often get seats for about $1300 one way on any carrier, including, including the best, like SQ.
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016