futureb6capt

Best Aviation Universities In The US

Tue May 23, 2006 10:13 pm

It's getting about that time of the year when I go and visit the colleges I am about to apply for!!

I've narrowed it down to three, it's between U of North Dakota, Embry-Riddle, and Western Michigan. Let me know which (of any) you think is the best proffessional pilot school in the country.

Thanks a lot, your opinion really helps.

-FutureB6Capt

joness0154

RE: Best Aviation Universities In The US

Tue May 23, 2006 10:16 pm

I would add Purdue to that list.
I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem

klm672

Tue May 23, 2006 10:21 pm

Daniel Webster in NH was pretty nice. I went to Aviation camp there in 2003.

KFLLCFII

Wed May 24, 2006 2:58 am

Quoting FutureB6Capt (Thread starter):
Embry-Riddle

Hands down. You'll realize this when the thread begins to turn into an ERAU bash fest...People tend to bash and marginalize things when they covet what they do not have  Wink
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

apodino

Wed May 24, 2006 3:49 am

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 3):
Embry-Riddle

Hands down. You'll realize this when the thread begins to turn into an ERAU bash fest...People tend to bash and marginalize things when they covet what they do not have

I agree with you there, as I am a Riddle grad myself. That being said, tuition there has become way too expensive, and that doesn't include flight training.

It is the best, but until the airlines start doing better, its hard to get any return on the investment.

ROSWELL41

Wed May 24, 2006 4:05 am

Purdue should be on that list.

Tom in NO

Wed May 24, 2006 4:14 am

Embry-Riddle
Hands down. You'll realize this when the thread begins to turn into an ERAU bash fest...People tend to bash and marginalize things when they covet what they do not have

Quoting Apodino (Reply 4):
I agree with you there, as I am a Riddle grad myself. That being said, tuition there has become way too expensive, and that doesn't include flight training.

I'll add my vote for Embry-Riddle, being a Riddle grad myself, as well.....except I went the Aviation Management way.

That said, I've worked with people that have gone to UND and WMU.....they're good programs as well, and you wouldn't go wrong going to any of those three, and there are other good programs out there.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

deltadc9

Wed May 24, 2006 4:16 am

As hard as it is for a Hoosier to give props to Purdue, they excell in aviation
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

slider

Wed May 24, 2006 4:17 am

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 6):
I'll add my vote for Embry-Riddle, being a Riddle grad myself, as well.....except I went the Aviation Management way.

Ditto. ERAU alumnus. Big grin

Not the best value for the money, not at all, and very expensive. You have to determine if you believe that value to be worth it.

futureb6capt

Wed May 24, 2006 10:46 am

Yeah, my brother is attending ERAU right now actually. I was down there with him last month and it was cool, but not exactly a place to find your future wife-and very expensive. I know WMU has been considered a party school, but the aviation program is outstanding I hear.

Thanks to everyone so far,

-FutureB6Capt

phelpsie87

Wed May 24, 2006 10:50 am

All your choice's are great. I am a UND student, but I think you would get a great education at not only UND, but ERAU, Purdue, and WMU as well. I know this is not much help, but good luck with your decision!

planespotting

Wed May 24, 2006 1:52 pm

University of Dubuque

my alma-mater
Do you like movies about gladiators?

Tugger

Wed May 24, 2006 2:41 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 8):
Ditto. ERAU alumnus.

Double Ditto (Quadritto?)

Quoting Futureb6capt (Reply 9):
it was cool, but not exactly a place to find your future wife

Try going to the Prescott (pronounced "press-kit" like "biscuit") campus, all the expense with none of the cool!

Tug

[Edited 2006-05-24 07:54:11]
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

joness0154

Thu May 25, 2006 3:44 am

Well I attended ERAU for 2 years, and am now at Purdue. Purdue rocks ERAU's socks off
I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem

BritPilot777

Thu May 25, 2006 3:47 am

I've seen both ERAU and WMU and they are both awesome schools. I was lucky enough to have friends attending both so I spent a week with both and I really enjoyed WMU.

In terms of tuition ERAU is a lot more expensive then WMU and both are just as well known.

BP777
Forever Flight

BWIA330

Thu May 25, 2006 9:12 am

Hey,

Lynn University in Boca Raton Florida is pretty good to. I had checked out their aviation management/pilot program. I wanted to attend this university but it is very costly.

Regards,

BWIA330

piercey

Thu May 25, 2006 9:20 am

FIT and ASU: Only way to go  biggrin 
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

kevin82277

Thu May 25, 2006 9:50 am

Middle Tennessee State University is not bad either.

captaink

Thu May 25, 2006 10:34 am

Isn't Vaughn College of Aeronautics (ex College of Aeronautics) in Flusing, NY a pretty ok school too?
There is something special about planes....

UNDAEROSPACE

Thu May 25, 2006 10:55 am

All these schools are good but, what it boils down to is where you want to be throughout your college years and what location suits you better. Personally im tired of New York and i want to get away from it so that is one of the reasons i am attending UND in the fall not only for that reason, but it has a great aviation program and the tution is somewhat less than other places.
Cheers
Justin

[Edited 2006-05-25 04:00:57]

gunsontheroof

Thu May 25, 2006 4:18 pm

Central Washington University in Ellensburg has an excellent aviation program offering a number of different aviation degrees. I've heard that they have a direct hire program with QX for their grads...

Svenskpilot

Thu May 25, 2006 4:59 pm

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the United States Air Force Academy, it is an "aviation university" after all.

AirWillie6475

Fri May 26, 2006 3:05 am

I'd hate to be the odd-man-out but DON'T GO THROUGH AN AVIATION COLLEGE. Get a degree in something elese. Contrary to what people might tell you there is very little you can do with an aviation degree. Get a degree in Biology or something.

One other reason is that you will PAY MORE THAN YOU HAVE TO if you go through an aviatio college. UND/Embry you will PAY. Before you look at the glossy UND/Embry student pilot broschures with smiling students/pilots and get ready to sign the doted line imagine this, you will pay 80-100k for college, plus the 40k for flight training. Do you know how much you will be making as a regional FO? 1200/ month. Do the math on your financial future. Go through you local state university, no body in the airlines care where you got your degree, they look at your flight experience first.

One last thing. What if you find that you don't like flying?? It's kind of hard when you have taken out loans for 140K for college and flight training to think about backing out. Think about this. You have so much more freedom if you go through a regular college and flight train on the side. Good luck I went to an aviation college for Freshman year as a aviation management major. I found that it was a mistake. Reason? I didn't care about running an airport I just wanted to fly, good thing this wasn't UND or Embry if it was I would have had to stay.

[Edited 2006-05-25 20:07:50]

Cory6188

Fri May 26, 2006 10:41 am

Quoting AirWillie6475 (Reply 22):
I'd hate to be the odd-man-out but DON'T GO THROUGH AN AVIATION COLLEGE.

I have to echo this sentiment. As is the case for all of you here on a.net, I have an extremely strong interest in aviation (in my case, I happen to find management particularly interesting). However, I did not consider ERAU or UND or any of the other aviation management schools out there. I felt that Dartmouth would offer me much more than any of those schools could, and quite honestly, after I graduate from Dartmouth, chances are that I could probably pursue a job in whatever field I want, including aviation, even if the degree isn't specific to "airline management". Economics, although more generic, will still give me the same career options as would a more specialized degree, especially because the Ivy League name carries a ton of weight.

I'm by no means saying that you have to apply to an Ivy League school; a regular liberal arts college will give you more opportunities and you won't be as restricted to such a limited field. You don't want to find yourself two years into the process hating every minute of it without any other opportunities to switch your focus.

Mir

Fri May 26, 2006 2:24 pm

Quoting UNDAEROSPACE (Reply 19):
Personally im tired of New York and i want to get away from it so that is one of the reasons i am attending UND in the fall not only for that reason

You're certainly in for a shock - North Dakota is about as far away from New York as it's possible to be. Some like it, some don't.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day