samair

What Scares You About Flying?

Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:18 am

What scares you about flying?
is it the noises?, bumps, interior or even the exterior
any comments ?
well for me the noises and the interior play a part on flying and also when you feel turbulence after takeoff!
the captain has now dimmed the lights for take off this is a routine procedure for flights during the hours of darkness!

YYZflyer

RE: What Scares You About Flying?

Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:39 am

I'm not scared of flying but when an a/c I'm suddenly loses a little altitude and feels like zero G's for a fraction of a second, it makes my heart speed up.
Avoid hangovers, stay drunk.

IFEMaster

Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:42 am

The thing I'm most scared of about flying is to be flying and then be very suddenly not flying.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

Daleaholic

Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:15 am

When somebody who looks a bit dodgy is walking towards the cockpit, this always gets my heart racing.

Quoting YYZflyer (Reply 1):
when an a/c I'm suddenly loses a little altitude and feels like zero G's for a fraction of a second, it makes my heart speed up.

I'll second that one!
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

JetBlueAUS

Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:03 am

I'm not scared of flying really, I've always just been a little uncomfortable flying over water... No idea why.
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

airbusa340

Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:12 am

Having to 'VOMIT' scares the sh-- out of me. It hasn't happened yet!!!
Airbusa340

nonfirm

Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:32 pm

I do not like the flying part i think it has to do with not being in control of the situation.  airplane 

TurkishWings

Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:01 am

I HATE turbulence especially on take off. Doesn't bother me too much during cruise or even landing though...

When I was flying as an F/A, turbulence did not bother me at all. Actually, heavy turbulence were fun because it meant no service but galley chatting and eating for us  Smile

Once en route LGW-ZRH on Helvetic F 100, I was just dozing off in a pretty uncomfortable position when we had a sudden drop. I really hurt my back and was scared s***less.. That, I don't like either.

I also do not like sharp banks especially when the A/C is very close to the ground...
Coffee - Tea or Me?

Doona

Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:22 am

The prospect of being stuck for 8+ hrs next to an Italian scares me... Other than that, nothing really scares me about flying. Big grin

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

trekster

Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:01 am

I kinda have to stare straight forward when taking off as my head gets a little dizzy, only time i aint had to do that was on the upper deck in BA Club world, on a rear facing seat. Very odd.

I dont like turb that much, if we hit any, i just get some chewing gum, its gives me somethin to concentrate on, close my eyes, and chew like the wind as it were lol.

It really does help

Dan
Where does the time go???

airtanzania1

Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:10 am

Quoting YYZflyer (Reply 1):
I'm not scared of flying but when an a/c I'm suddenly loses a little altitude and feels like zero G's for a fraction of a second, it makes my heart speed up.

Well, thats one thing I love about flying it makes the flight more interesting. I cant think of anything that would scare me maybe getting hijacked.
Awe. 737-200.

JGPH1A

Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:23 am

I love everything about flying, I never get scared. Abandoned approaches are a bit of a worry, just in case there's other traffic out there not paying attention, but they don't happen often.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

ANITIX87

Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:23 am

Quoting Airbusa340 (Reply 5):

That's one of the reasons I hate flying TO Europe. I can't sleep on planes, regardless of what drugs I take before to knock me out, and the overnight flight exhausts me, and people are MUCH more vulnerable to motion sickness when they're tired, which I have found out the hard way MANY times. I throw up on almost all my east-bound TransAtlantics.

Quoting Nonfirm (Reply 6):
I do not like the flying part i think it has to do with not being in control of the situation.

Yeah, me too. The idea that if something goes wrong, that's pretty much it at 33,000 feet.

Quoting Trekster (Reply 9):
I kinda have to stare straight forward when taking off as my head gets a little dizzy,

I am the same way. I used to love starting out the window, but whenever the plane turned I'd get sick. So I put my iPod on with the bud in only one ear and hide the wire and iPod itself, and stare straight ahead as far as I can. It's also a reason I hate being in a bulkhead seat with the wall right in front of me.

The biggest thing, however, for me is not dying, or vomiting, or turbulence, or any of those things, even though they do give me anxiety attacks. The thing that terrifies me the most is, if the plane crashes, is experiencing that time between 33,000 feet and 0 feet, where I know I'm about to die and I have to think of all the people I love, the people I haven't met yet, the things I've done, the things I've yet to do. I just can't imagine dying with those being my final thoughts. I guess it's the inevitability of death if the plane crashes, not the death itself.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

JGPH1A

Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:34 am

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 12):
The biggest thing, however, for me is not dying, or vomiting, or turbulence, or any of those things, even though they do give me anxiety attacks. The thing that terrifies me the most is, if the plane crashes, is experiencing that time between 33,000 feet and 0 feet, where I know I'm about to die and I have to think of all the people I love, the people I haven't met yet, the things I've done, the things I've yet to do. I just can't imagine dying with those being my final thoughts. I guess it's the inevitability of death if the plane crashes, not the death itself.

Blimey - you must be a real joy to travel with ! Seriously, lighten up. Thinking about that kind of crap will make you crazy.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

kazzie

Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:39 am

Quoting Samair (Thread starter):

The people at Amadeus...
Bazinga punk.

JGPH1A

Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:49 am

Quoting Kazzie (Reply 14):
The people at Amadeus...

Be afraid - be very afraid !

kazzie

Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:53 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 15):
Be afraid - be very afraid !

Silly

you are a:

@P/ED/I

or

@P/ED/C/*WCHC*

Silly
Bazinga punk.

futureualpilot

Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:55 am

Losing my wings for any reason anymore scares me more than anything else.
Life is better when you surf.

2H4

Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:55 am

What Scares You About Flying?

The debt incurred from flight training.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

futureuapilot

Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:27 am

The only thing that scares me durring flight is that I will not be able to fly those birds once I get older... kinda simular to the user with a simular username as mine... (reply 17)

-Sam
The Pilot is the highest form of life on Earth!

jetflyer

Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:33 am

I'm scared of the engines start, taxiing, thrust increase for takeoff, the takeoff, the climb, cruise and descent and approach and landing. It is so terrifying, all of it.

TRIVEIAL FACT: DID you wnok the wings are more likely to fall off when taxiing than flying?

[Edited 2006-06-18 04:34:59]

ANITIX87

Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:31 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 13):
Blimey - you must be a real joy to travel with ! Seriously, lighten up. Thinking about that kind of crap will make you crazy.

Oh, I know, my family hates flying with me, but I usually do take some comfort if we're all flying together cuz I know that if something happens we'll be together. Flying alone last month was quite an experience, haha. I mean, I'm not going to go into complete denial and say, "Oh, well, that will definitely NEVER happen to me!" Because, although the odds are WAY in my favor that it never will, I've always been a pessimist, and as long as there's a one in 450 trillion chance of something bad happeneing I'm going to expect it if it's a situation where I won't be in control. I don't get scared walking down the street, or driving a car, because in the major accidents where death occurs in those case, it's usually really quick. Or, you don't have time to think. Death doesn't scare me at all. It's being in a situation where death is imminent and inevitable that frightens me. And nobody said I was a sane guy, haha. There's a reason I saw pshrinks for 5 years!

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

Newark777

Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:36 pm

That my bags don't get lost. That's about it. I'm much more scared to get in a NYC taxi, for example.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

Duff44

Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:41 pm

Crosswind landings. I always think that after the main gear touches down, as the front 'swings around', it's going to hit the runway at just the wrong moment and shear the front landing gear off...

Yeah, I know it's probably not possible, but It still bugs me.

I'm mildly bothered being in any vehicle I'm not in control of, but much less so of ones I don't know HOW to control, like an airplane.
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

Asturias

Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:08 pm

Nothing scares me about flying. I revel in it. It is one of the best sensations I know of. I am more alert in smaller planes, Cessnas or the like, but I'm not scared.

I love crosswind landings, especially when the plane crabs in on the runway  Smile

Strange noises make me feel alert too, but not scared. Heavy turbulence and losing lots of height all of a sudden especially during landing a few hundred meters above ground makes the heart beat faster but it is exciting!

cheers

Asturias
Tonight we fly

BA787

Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:41 pm

is it the noises?, bumps, interior or even the exterior
any comments ?
well for me the noises and the interior play a part on flying and also when you feel turbulence after takeoff

Nope just Soviet era aircraft  Big grin

T.C.

COAfan

Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:23 pm

My first post here on A.net. Nothing really scares me about flying, but when the flight crew flies recklessly. scared 

Phillip

JGPH1A

Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:14 am

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 21):
There's a reason I saw pshrinks for 5 years!

I think you should ask for your money back  Smile I find it best to be zen about flying, what happens happens - if you're late for a connection or something, not a lot that you personally can do will change things. Either the flight leaves, in which case it's gone, and the airline will reconnect you. Or else they'll hold the plane for you, in which case there's no point sprinting because it will be there anyway. So take it easy, enjoy the ride.

tsaord

Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:31 pm

The thought of the plane just nose diving or sudden exploding are enough to keep my hands sweaty when I fly.
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

MSNtriathlete

Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:28 pm

Wow, glad I'm not the only one who has some of the irrational fears I have. I always wondered how I can get nervous in a plane sometimes when I'm otherwise so interested in planes and flying, which I have been since childhood. Some flights I'm totally fine, and others I just get "spooked" with no relationship to turbulence/weather/etc. Still trying to work out why. I used to be a fearless flyer, even bad weather in the old Dornier 228's between EWR and LEB (a 2 hour trip in a pretty small plane) didn't bother me. Had an awesome flight yesterday from SFO to MKE on Midwest MD88 that I thoroughly enjoyed from takeoff to touchdown, and my partner was amazed at how well I was doing!

Some feedback: ANITIX87, I had similar thoughts for a while then realized that statistics are statistics; I'm not that special. I'm not special enough for me to be that 1 in 100,000, but I'm also not special enough for my chances to be zero, either. There's an inevitable small risk with getting on a plane, and that small risk gets magnified by airplane accidents being high-profile, but there are far worse ways to go. If I ever find myself in that situation, I hope I can be grateful for what I experienced in life. The rest is out of my hands.

For those who have that fear of being out-of-control of the situation, which was definitely a factor for me, a friendly chat with the FA's once they have some downtime often helps. If something were amiss up front, they'd know about it. If they're calm, we can be calm. Plus, it's a nice way to learn some inside info about the company and their job. Also, carrying an atlas is a wonderful way to have a flight-related activity and learn some really interesting geography. I did that on yesterday's flight, which was so scenic I never even pulled out my iPod or laptop. I think it helps me feel a little more "in-control" of the situation, no matter how irrational that is.

Sorry for the length of my reply. Kudos to all the above writers for a very interesting thread.

AirWillie6475

Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:52 am

That we might crash. We might be trapped and burned alive. Rapid decompression. Explosion in the cabin with fire. Seeing the front cabin section with people separate and fly the other way while you're part of the cabin takes a nose dive. Talking to the scary FAs. Smoke in the cabin. Dead/Sick pilots. Loss of cabin pressure with no oxygen. Highjackking. Wings falling off, Tail falling off, electrical fire, airplane food, pilots forgetting to set flaps and causing the plane to fly off the runway and hitting buildings. Going from 400 mph to 0 mph in 1 second. Pilots forgetting how to fly and landing the plane somehere other than a runway. Breaks not working resulting in crashing beyond the runway and burning of the plane. Crashing on the mountain in poor visibility, loss of hydraulics causing the plane to fall to the ground like a rock, seeing 50 yearold FAs, the list never ends. These are the things I ponder while I eat the cookie at 35,000ft.

[Edited 2006-06-19 22:55:01]

[Edited 2006-06-19 22:58:19]

[Edited 2006-06-19 22:59:04]

denplanenut

Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:59 am

Screaming children... esp. the ones that kick the back of my seat.

OV735

Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:21 am

I've had interest in aviation since I was a little kid, and, at an amateur level, studied almost every part of flying. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that there's nothing to worry about (wings clipping off, turbulence, having Italians sitting next to you) exept for human errors and inflight fires.

An inflight fire is one of the few, if not only, situation, that can only get worse with time. Rapid decompression can be overcome by an emergency descent. We've got devices that have avoided hundreds, if not thousands of mid-air collisions. Today's (twin engine) aircraft are certified to fly with only one engine working. But if there's an inflight fire that cannot be contained immideately, you're screwed (think ValuJet, Swissair).

Human errors are far more probable than inflight fires, but almost all of them are corrected before they turn dangerous. When they do, however, they really are dangerous. Just a few examples, pilots might get spatially disoriented (Eastern, Flash Airlines, Crossair 498), they may fail to notice important details when doing the pre-flight walkaround (Birgenair), ramp personnel can be careless (THY), and so on.

Thus, in my opinion, there's really not much to be scared of flying. I figure that my possibility of dying in an aircraft-related accident is millions of times smaller than dying of cancer, heart attack or in a ground-based vehicular accident.

Cheers,
OV735

AlexPorter

Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:29 am

For me it is two things:

1. Strange noises. Not noises that are obvious, like flaps and gear. I'm talking about other noises. One example I can think of is on an HP A320 I was on once where the engines sounded waaay too turboprop for my liking. I thought something was wrong with them.

2. Smoke scents. This has actually happened on two different flights were there was a mild smell of burning or smoke, but with nothing visible. Fortunately they subsided in just a couple of minutes and didn't come back. Maybe it was a galley thing or a bleed air thing. I have no idea but that's kind of creepy.

That's about it. Turbulence doesn't bug me at all, unless it's too strong as to prevent cabin service - or lav use for the duration of the flight (as opposed to temporarily).
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

HorizonGirl

Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:44 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 2):
The thing I'm most scared of about flying is to be flying and then be very suddenly not flying.

Well said!

I can't sleep on planes

Neither can I. I have tried to sleep on redeyes countless times before, but
I end up spending the whole night sitting straight up with my eyes
bloodshot and wide open.  tired 

Nothing really scares me about flying, but there is just something
about that Beech 1900 that makes me very uncomfortable.

Devon
Flying high on the Wings of the Great Northwest!

YULYMX

Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:29 am

Only 2 things

1- Metal Fatigue... Wing drop off
2- all engines failures

reins485

Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:08 am

I can't sleep on planes

I am glad I am not the only one unable to sleep.

The only real thing that scares me about flying is semi-critical flight problem and having all the pilots work on the problem and forget to fly the plane. There has been many accidents caused by the fact that the pilots forget to fly the airplane while fixing a problem.

Alex

alphafloor

Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:33 pm

The thing I'm most scared of about flying is when the flight is cancelled.
Whatever

Skydrol

Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:38 pm

That's one of the reasons I hate flying TO Europe. I can't sleep on planes, regardless of what drugs I take before to knock me out, and the overnight flight exhausts me, and people are MUCH more vulnerable to motion sickness when they're tired, which I have found out the hard way MANY times. I throw up on almost all my east-bound TransAtlantics

Nice to know there's company to share the misery of puking in airplanes.
But for me this isn't scary, just something I have learned to deal with on some flights.

A fire developing from chafed wires above the cabin ceiling, or inaccessable areas behind bulkheads where there is no fire extinguishing system or method to intervene would be a nightmare.

This has happened on a few occasions, sometimes resulting in disasters. HZ-AHK, C-FTLU, HB-IWF, C-GHML, D-ABTH, C-GFAF, N947DL, G-BNLA and others...

My family and I flew in one of the doomed airplanes, C-FTLU Fin 720 right before it burned up.

AIR CANADA FLIGHT 797

23 years later, I still find this creepy. Especially after investigation when the cause is "undetermined origin". I was very uneasy about flying for a long time after this.

LD4
∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

christeljs

Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:46 pm

Quoting Kazzie (Reply 14):
The people at Amadeus

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 22):
That my bags don't get lost. That's about it. I'm much more scared to get in a NYC taxi, for example.

Quoting Reins485 (Reply 36):
I can't sleep on planes

Thanks for those inputs. And for you others that are afraid of wings dropping off, metal fatigue, engines exploding and ripping the fuselage, tail falls off, etc etc.. Don't be afraid! You're in more danger getting yourself TO the airport.

There is one thing that do scare me, and that is when I saw 4 people from Iraq area boarding the plane. They have got them self a bad image. I can't help it and I don't mean to sound like a racist, but it do scare me more than an engine failure.
Christel A Photography

ABfemme

Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:08 am

I once flew on a plane from BHX to Cork with a constant smell of fuel from take off to landing, must admit I was more than perturbed by this but tried to ignore it. However, I was glad to get off the thing when we landed !
Women do not have hot flushes, they have power surges

pilotaydin

Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:33 am

losing cabin pressure and not getting my mask on in time...

ever since the Helios -400, I've had my eye and hand near the damn thing....-400s are OLD anything can happen, they have a mind of their own lol
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

BA787

Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:04 am

Quoting HorizonGirl (Reply 34):

I cant sleep on coaches, trains, cars , boats or any other form of transport, but once the aircraft is cruising and the excitements over, I sleep like a baby

tired 

Tom

usair320

Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:20 am

Quoting Doona (Reply 8):

I'll second that Ive been stuck with my grandmother on a PHL-FCO flight(whom is an Italian) plus about 50 other Italians.(lol) No offence to the Italians.

fantasticflyer

Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:59 am

The thing that terrifies me the most is, if the plane crashes, is experiencing that time between 33,000 feet and 0 feet, where I know I'm about to die and I have to think of all the people I love, the people I haven't met yet, the things I've done, the things I've yet to do. I just can't imagine dying with those being my final thoughts. I guess it's the inevitability of death if the plane crashes, not the death itself

ITA with this ! Its funny though for me...when im actually on the plane..9/10 I dont think about this...im usually thinking about what im going to do when I get to my destination...but theres a brief moment I seem to have almost before every flight..(usually its at home before i've left for the airport) where I think about this. The prospect of basically staring death in the face.

Fortuantely for me...i've been traveling since I was one. So theres a certain comfort level I have when flying...and if/when I do have those brief moments I just say a prayer and im cool

fantasticflyer

Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:00 am

Quoting JetBlueAUS (Reply 4):
I'm not scared of flying really, I've always just been a little uncomfortable flying over water... No idea why

LOL ! Same here ! I travel to Florida frequently..and I hate when they take the route over the water !

isitsafenow

Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:06 am

Looooooooooooooonnnnngggg take-off rolls. I watch the foot markers on take off and when the plane gets down to "2000 ft" (left) I start to fidget a little.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

ANITIX87

Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:48 am

Quoting FantasticFlyer (Reply 44):
Fortuantely for me...i've been traveling since I was one. So theres a certain comfort level I have when flying...and if/when I do have those brief moments I just say a prayer and im cool

I've been flying since my 17th day as a human being, and I never, ever got scared until after SR111 since I was on that airframe 3 hours before it went down doing GVA-JFK. Turns out I was also on the airframe that was TWA800 three hours before that as well, doing ATH-JFK. So those close calls have scared me quite a bit. Being atheist doesn't help at all, because I have no prayer to resort to. Oh well. I'll have to deal with it!

TIS

NightHawk117

Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:57 pm

I love flying, but I tend to get a wee bit claustiphobic. I used to fly out of PFN, which was always in small turboprops. Those alone are bad enough, but one time I flew through a thunderstorm. Being in such a small aircraft in the middle of a thunderstorm didn't fancy me too much, lol.

Other than that...nothing really scares me about flying....I'd take it over driving any day!

[Edited 2006-06-23 07:58:27]
Team Stealth...when it absolutely, positively HAS to be taken out overnight!

flymatt2bermud

Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:56 pm

Quoting Skydrol (Reply 38):
AIR CANADA FLIGHT 797

23 years later, I still find this creepy. Especially after investigation when the cause is "undetermined origin".

Actually, I believe the cause was determined or at least suggested in several reports. Here is one.
http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19830602-1

14,000 hours later? In one word "Thunderstorms!" The forces within them contain more energy than an atomic bomb. They are incredible to watch from a distance. Crews must know how to interpret and avoid them (from the record they do a good job).

[Edited 2006-06-23 15:59:31]
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward" Leonardo Da Vinci