kulatict

11 Hours Transit In NRT

Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:33 am

hey folks... i have a 11 hours transit in NRT on July 31... coming off JL biz class from KUL & then AA's first class to DFW & then to ICT....
i have 2 options: stay in NRT or venture outside

Option 1: stay in NRT
since i'm travelling on AA first, i have access to Admiral Lounge, how's the facility there (in terms of food & shower, internet access, etc.)? is there any possible way that i could request an earlier flight? (is there risk that my bags will not arrive with me?)
is there anything else interesting in the terminal?

Option 2: venture outside
any suggestion & guides on places i could see for like 6 hours (including time on land transportation) ??? considering i dont speak Japanese at all...
is there any locker for rent in the secured area big enough for a roller bag?

thanks alot for your suggestions & opinions

[Edited 2006-06-27 19:35:05]

RE: 11 Hours Transit In NRT

Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:37 am

Old Narita village is nice. There are a few restaurants and some great Japanese temples to see.

cjpark

Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:04 am

The Admirals Club at NRT is not too bad, food consists of snacks, drinks are available, the beer dispenser is a favorite of mine. You should be able to leave your bag in the Club without much risk. Showers are available as well, there is WAN available if you want to work.

Outside of the Duty Free stores inside the secured area there is not much to do.

You are too far away from Tokyo to enjoy the sights there but as has been noted the Narita Village is nice. Stop by one of the Ramen Shops.
"Any airline that wants to serve the [region] can go to DFW today and fly anywhere they want," WN spokesman Ed Stewart

spinkid

Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:29 am

Yes, Narita is nice. I'm not sure what kind of guided tours are available though, perhaps get a room for the day at a nearby hotel. I stayed at the Radisson there, they have transportaion to and from the airport and would probably be able to arrange for some sort of city tour of Narita.

Tokyo is too much hassle to get to.

utapao

Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:34 am

Assume you are arriving very early morning after overnight and leaving 6-7pm. There is the mid-day flight, but since you are not booked that way, perhaps it was sold out or no-op on the day you are traveling.

I do this same type trip from BKK-NRT-DFW about four times a year and have actually gotten to the point I enjoy the 6-7 layover when taking the noon flight to DFW. I do NOT stay on the secure side, since there is very, very little to do at NRT inside of Immigration. I always go through Immigration, tell Customs my bags are checked on the AA flight later in the day. Outside security, there are great "malls" in both Terminals 1 & 2. Lots of restaurants and shopping. Both terminals also have great roof-top spotting sights. Plus, it is just nice to get out and get some fresh air and helps break up a 21-24 hour trip home.

As others said, the Admirals Club has nice shower facilities, but depending on how and/or if I slept on the overnight, there are "day rooms" in both terminals. You can get a shower room, or a shower room w/ bed for a 2-3 hour nap. Quite affordable. But if you are wanting a full hotel and longer sleep, the suggestions above are better. There are 6-8 first class hotels very near the airport, and all have shuttle service, if I'm not mistaken. I have taken the airport shuttle to some of the properties for a nice quiet breakfast or lunch, then headed back to the airport without even checking into a room. Good change of pace.

For years I hated NRT, but have come to actually enjoy it. AA will be moving to Terminal 2 with JL by the end of the year, I believe.

Enjoy...
Sawasdee khrab!

cch362

Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:34 am

Venturing into Tokyo is possible--so long as you don't stray too far from your train station.

The Keisei Skyliner takes about an hour to get from the airport to either Nippori or Ueno. Both are interesting parts of greater Tokyo to explore and to get a feel of the city's vibe.

Another option is the JR East N'EX train to Tokyo (main) Station, also about 1 hour. Near Tokyo Station are Ginza and the grounds of the Imperial Palace, in opposite directions, 10 minutes by foot.

If you just want to say "been there", or perhaps get a glance of the city before your next real visit, I think you can get in and back, including grabbing a quick lunch, in five hours. That'll still give you a good amount of time (2, 3 hours?) in the NRT AC.

I also find Narita town quite charming. It has the feel of an international village with visitors and airline personnel from all over the world. It's 10 minutes by train on the Keisei line. There are maps around town showing you where the temples and other sights are.

Either way, check Narita Airport's website for the left-luggage locations in the terminals.

AY104

Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:52 am

Hey,
I would definitely go and spend some time in Narita. A friend of mine was just there, and he did exactly that. He is Japanese, lived in Canada for most of his life, but had never been there. If I was you, I would do that.
Just talked to the wife of my friend, also Japanese. She says it's only about 4 or 5 stops from the Airport station on the subway. Lots of old temples and interesting sights. That's a recommendation of two Japanese, so I would go for it. Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Carl AY104
The only thing a customer should expect for his/her loyalty is good service

Jet-lagged

Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:58 am

Quoting Cch362 (Reply 5):
The Keisei Skyliner takes about an hour to get from the airport to either Nippori or Ueno. Both are interesting parts of greater Tokyo to explore and to get a feel of the city's vibe.

If you want to get into the city, this is a good idea. Probably more interesting than going into Tokyo station, unless you are enamored with skyscrapers and downtowns.

Some Nippori area info is here:
http://www.keisei.co.jp/keisei/tetudou/keisei_us/top.html
http://www.digi-promotion.com/tokyo-...hborhoods/yanaka/yanaka_tour2.html
http://www.frommers.com/destinations/tokyo/0085020035.html

Avatordon

Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:02 am

Here's something from the Narita Airport web site you might find useful -

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/whats_new/tours/bustours03.html

ikramerica

Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:44 pm

Are you going to be allowed to check your luggage through and get your AA boarding passes when you board the JL flight?

I was NOT allowed to do this because I had a 9 hour NRT connection on JL (ITM-NRT), but AA won't allow you to transfer bags from a flight that arrives more than six hours before your flight, nor re-check them at the counters until that time. The AA counters aren't even open 6 hours before many of the flights, so you can't check in or get through security and visit the admirals club until they do open. We had a 4:30 PM flight or so, and out JL flight arrived NRT at 9:45 AM. I think the AA counters opened at 11 or noon, I don't remember.

I had to check my bags at a bag holding facility outside security. Then our party spent time in the NRT shopping mall, had some lunch, and went to the observation deck to watch planes and eat ice cream until the AA counters opened. Once they opened, we checked our bags in and went to the club for the remaining time. We had considered spending time in old Narita town, but it was the end of our trip and we were just too tired and didn't want to stress out about getting back in time.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

kulatict

Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:42 pm

hey guys, thanks alot for the inputs & suggestions.... i'm gonna look at every single one in detail & compare & see which one is the best option for me  Smile

as for the issue brought up by ikramerica at reply 9, i sure think that the luggage will be tagged thru final destination at ICT although i have to clear cutstom at DFW... i dont think they would issue me the AA boarding pass but i'm kind of sure that i probably don't have to take my luggage out since its an international flight in NRT, i cold be wrong... i just have to see

thanks again for the comments....

UpperDeck79

Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:15 pm

Quoting KULatICT (Thread starter):
Option 2: venture outside
any suggestion & guides on places i could see for like 6 hours (including time on land transportation) ??? considering i dont speak Japanese at all...

Quoting Cch362 (Reply 5):

The Keisei Skyliner is great and the terminal in Ueno is right next to the pond at Ueno park which is a very nice area to stroll around. You can buy the train tickets from a vending machine in English.

Just remember to buy your return ticket once you arrive at Ueno since the Skyliner is quite popular at rush hour and the tickets are sold out before departure (and you cannot ride it without a reserved seat).

Map of Ueno from Tokyoessentials.com ("Keisei Ueno" is the station for Skyliner from Narita Airport):

http://www.tokyoessentials.com/images/ueno_map.gif
AY and ANA rock!

FFlyer

Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:48 pm

If you decide to go to Ueno, check the famous fish market while there. It's quite amazing, and close to the station(s).