dimoko

Best Time To Buy?

Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:49 pm

I am planning a trip from CLE or CAK to SAN for November (maybe meeting up with some browns backers and seeing the browns vs. the chargers!).

i checked some flights the other day and they were about $310 round trip, i checked today, and there is nothing under $410. I know booking in advance is the best policy, but is there such a thing as too far in advance?

what is the best time to shop for a trip so far in the future?
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." -- Douglas Adams

Philly

RE: Best Time To Buy?

Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:01 pm

Anymore it is completely dumb luck. Old rules have gone out the window. Harder markets like vacation travel are best done in advance but other than that, just keep checking until you find the rate you like. Flying on Tues/Wed and staying over a Saturday night help in keeping the fare down. Stay away from peak departures and grab a redeye if you can, they tend to fill up last and the lower fares tend to be better available since redeyes also have larger aircraft on most long haul routes.

Good luck.
Carpe Diem!

folov

Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:27 pm

Don t forget to delete your cookies, before doing a new search

dimoko

Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:10 am

a little update, its not about $218 roundtrip
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." -- Douglas Adams

joffie

Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:39 pm

The best time to book is when the airline has a sale. It is usually announced on their web site (no suprise there Big grin), or if you are sucribed to their site, you should receive e-mails.

I have noticed if you book like a week before you fly, you will be paying a hell of a lot more because the super saver fares are gone.

As said above, it is all pot luck, and if you book today, you might find cheaper fares tomorrow, or they might go up.

Also check each individual airlines fares for the dates you mentioned.

It seems you would be on a 4 hour flight, so you would have to trade off between cheap fares and a LCC to expensive seats on mainline carriers such as UA or AA.

Enjoy.

dimoko

Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:05 am

well guys, i skipped the frontier idea, but i have booked my flights on CO. They are my favorite way to fly (of course, im from CLE) and they are at $218 round trip from CLE to SAT. so i am out the door at $240...unbelievable!

the flight down is non-stop, on a ERJ-145, and i opted to come back thru houston so i could fly the 739 that they are running between houston and cleveland.

october is too far away!!

JetBlueAUS

Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:23 am

Quoting Dimoko (Reply 5):
the flight down is non-stop, on a ERJ-145, and i opted to come back thru houston so i could fly the 739 that they are running between houston and cleveland.

CO is a great airline! I am flying them very, very soon to MTJ. The ERJ 145's are very comfortable for me. Hope you have a great trip!
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

Skookum

Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:34 am

Sorry, I just couldn't resist...

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/6271/offic092.html (safe)

With sincerity, though, I hope you manage to get a good deal.

Cheers
Skookum
Good flying

TPAnx

Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:39 pm

Mentioned this on another thread..and still don't recall where I read it.
But someone's come up with a computer program which looks at fares, and past trends..and recommends when you should buy to get the lowest fare.
IIRC, it's starting in Europe..so I guess we have to keep checking websites for a while..  Sad
TPAnx
I read the news today..oh boy

N801NW

Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:38 am

Yesterday I bought a fare on WN because of their Systemwide Sale. I've never used Southwest, I'd prefer to try CO, but my time off hasn't been approved. WN would at least let me keep the full value of the ticket if I have to change plans. However, this sale price was apparently a whopping $4 less the their regular M class discount fare, accroding to my search today.