1337Delta764
Topic Author

Delta PTVs - Could Other Airlines Follow?

Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:17 am

Delta is planning to install PTVs on all mainline aircraft except the MD-80s, MD-90s, and 737-200s (which will be retired). Could other airlines soon follow?

Continental has PTVs on all widebodies, but not on any narrowbody. American only has PTVs on their 777s. United has PTVs on their international 767-300s and 777-200s, and nothing else. Northwest only has PTVs on their A330s, and no IFE at all on narrowbodies except on the 757-300s on Hawaii flights.
The Pink Delta 767-400ER - The most beautiful aircraft in the sky

FlyKev
Crew

RE: Delta PTVs - Could Other Airlines Follow?

Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:34 am

But can the other airlines afford to add IFE to their planes... Northwesat springs to mind. Plus, do you need 100s of movies on a 1hr plan journey.

Kev.
The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only

ZKSUJ

Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:55 am

I would have thought UA and Northwest would have them on their 744s. It would be costly for other airlines, especially since many of them are not in the best financial position at the moment

piercey

Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:23 am

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Thread starter):
Continental has PTVs on all widebodies, but not on any narrowbody.

aren't their 752s being refitted with AVOD? I thought I heard that somewhere...
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

deltagator

Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:19 am

Quoting Piercey (Reply 3):
aren't their 752s being refitted with AVOD? I thought I heard that somewhere...

Only in BizFirst IIRC. I was lucky enough to get one of the international configured 757s from IAH to SFO and it had been converted to AVOD up front from the old PTVs but I believe the back still had main screen IFE only.

On a side note the new system was pretty good but the touch screen does take some getting used to for a little bit.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

FireFly

Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:55 am

Delta can't afford the investment anymore than UA or NW. Either U.S. airliners will have to attract and keep current customers with top-notch service, F.F. programs, price or comfort. The PTV's come in the comfort category, and if Delta can get in front of the other airlines and advertise this convenience, they may be able to attract new, younger customers.

It is interesting that AA, having so far avoided bankruptcy, is the carrier that is not investing in either new aircraft or entertainment (to speak of). 5 years from now, as technology moves forward, we (and Delta employees) may look back on this investment as a gigantic waste of money and energy. I sincerely hope that is not the case, and that this proves to be a good investment.
"Bury me at sea, boys; where no murdered ghosts can haunt me" MacGowan

N43W79

Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:18 am

Well, there are already airlines are the world that have this:

CX, SQ to name two

and in North America:

AC is in the process of installing Video on Demand screens in every seat except the ones on the Dash 8s

united319

Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:32 pm

Quoting FireFly (Reply 5):
Delta can't afford the investment anymore than UA or NW. Either U.S. airliners will have to attract and keep current customers with top-notch service, F.F. programs, price or comfort. The PTV's come in the comfort category, and if Delta can get in front of the other airlines and advertise this convenience, they may be able to attract new, younger customers.

It is interesting that AA, having so far avoided bankruptcy, is the carrier that is not investing in either new aircraft or entertainment (to speak of). 5 years from now, as technology moves forward, we (and Delta employees) may look back on this investment as a gigantic waste of money and energy. I sincerely hope that is not the case, and that this proves to be a good investment.

Thats not all DL is wasting money on at a time when they dont have any money at all, they decided to change their logo back to the widget, adding more international flights, sprucing up ATL, trying to turn their 757s like Uniteds PS planes, and retrofitting their 764s with Business Elite...theyre spending like there is no tomorrow, it seems to me that this is a recurring trend in the industry, United did the same thing when they were going under, they decided to repaint all their planes, add PS, add Ted, and add routes...
It's Time To Fly