James768
Topic Author

KLM V Air France Business Class

Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:30 am

At the end of this year I have the opportunity to fly to South Africa, and am able to do it in Business Class if I choose KLM or Air France. Can people give me an idea of the good and bad points of each of the offerings. I think AIr France will be an A340 or 773, KLM will be 747. The fares are roughly the same.

MTIA

KL565

RE: KLM V Air France Business Class

Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:44 am

I would go Air France, I have flown on KLM WBC to Nairobi on the B772 and from DXB to AMS on the MD11. In the KLM fleet only the new a/c have the new WBC seats (B772 & A332) the rest of their fleet have classic WBC. They both are not great but I have heard good things about Air France new B/C. Just make sure the a/c type when you book to see if it has the new seats.

lamedianaranja

Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:56 am

and I would go KL  Cool no WBC seat like upper deck window on a B744 with the window sills and the private aircraft feeling that an upper deck gives you.
I wish that all skies were orange and blue!!

HB-IWC

Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:12 am

I presume you are flying into JNB, where AF will operate a daily B773ER and a thrice weekly A343 later this year. Both fleets have been reconfigured with the new business class (NEV) and I find the seats comfortable enough. KLM flies a daily B74E/744 into JNB, which still features old style C-class seats and rather limited IFE. However, KLM also flies a daily B772ER into CPT, which has the new C-class with a truly great IFE, although I am not wild about the seats themselves. Seat wise, I would pick Air France, overall.

There are however other considerations to be made. Both KLM southbound flights are daylight flights, whereas Air France only operates overnight sectors. As a hub, AMS is to be preferred over CDG any day of the week. Catering wise, on the other hand, I feel that AF beats KL hands down, although I do realize that that is a very subjective observation.

There is of course the compromise solution: as most AF and KL fares can be combined anyway, why don't you fly out on one carrier and fly back on the other?

James768
Topic Author

Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:33 pm

Thanks very much for the replies - especially HB-IWC - very useful.

Ta

alaskaqantas

Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:10 pm

note- I haven't flown on any of these seats. But I have been reading up on them and looking at pictures and such.

I would go with AF. If you look at the pictures of the two different seats AF wins hands down, now I'm not saying the KLM's seat is crap... I mean any business class seat is going to be better then economy, thats just fact, but one business class seat will be better then the other.

I have heard good things about Air France and would check them out first! Any way you go I hope you have a safe, fun and enjoyable trip in your business class seat!
~Cheers-
~~Kyle H.
to some people the sky is the limit, to aviation enthusiasts, its home!