FireFly
Topic Author

Mbna Aer Lingus Credit Card

Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:51 pm

I rec'd a letter today from MBNA in regards to the Shamrock Rewards MasterCard credit card program. I would happily scan & post it here, but the new HP Photosmart I bought today is defective (thanks for keeping your reputation alive for me, HP - I would hate to buy something with your name on it and have it work for more than 1 year).

Unable to scan, I will try to paraphrase here..."Aer Lingus and FIA Card Services...have mutually agreed to end the Shamrock Rewards credit card..."

A) "You will...earn points until closing date in Sept. '06..."
B) "Any Shamrock Rewards points remaining on the account after your September statement closing date will no longer be valid."
C) "Shamrock...will honor redemption points until Oct.31, '06...call 888-816-9730 to make travel arrangements."
D) Goes on to tell me about "exciting new product choices" ie, generic "points" to be used somehow to get seats on some airline somewhere, sometime.

I'll call later next week to find out exactly when the miles expire. I am confused by points B and C above...any points after Sept. closing date will no longer be valid, but redemption points will be honored until Oct. 31...

I use 3 mileage cards - AA, UA and EI - Ei being the least active. I only have points for 1 US-Ireland ticket- not exactly what I had planned - nor had a planned on making travel arrangements in the next 2 months for Ireland.

Anyway, consider this a heads-up if you have an MBNA - Aer Lingus card - you should be receiving a letter soon. If anyone knows the answer to my confusion over B and C above, I would appreciate any imput.

Regards,

Kevin
"Bury me at sea, boys; where no murdered ghosts can haunt me" MacGowan