Topic Author

Is Sun Country A Good Airline?

Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:11 pm

My wife and kids are flying to Minnesota from LAX on Sun Country. I dont really know anyone that has flown them before. Has anyone flown them before and what was your experience with them? Thanks.

RE: Is Sun Country A Good Airline?

Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:40 pm

I flew them in March MSP-SFO. They are a wierd airline. I'd say they are an airline in an identity crisis. Cheap tickets... with a beach-like feel, but sandwiches and new service to lots of business destinations. Leather seats. Overall, I'd say way better than most airlines in America. But nothing too amazing. I would definately fly them again. The HHH Terminal at MSP is very nice and convenient as well. You get more on SY than on other airlines for less of a price pretty much.

life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:20 pm

We in MN think of Sun Country as the little airline that could. They have come back strong since April 2002, when the new management team took over. The crews are very friendly, and they are one of the few who feed the passengers with out charging additional money. Last I heard the LAX-MSP-LAX run was a red eye, you will get something to eat like a Quaker breakfast bar before you land.

It has been hard to find the right food for the passengers, as most just want to sleep. I hope you have a good time flying with Sun Country.

Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:43 pm

That's right, their crews seem to be much more freindlier and helpful than the legacy airlines are. And don't forget that their aircraft are relatively new. The old, decreped DC-10's and 727's are long gone and have been replaced with the newer 737-800's, which are kept up very nicely. I would definitely fly them again anytime.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:36 am

The Good:
- New planes
- Low fares
- Leather seats
- Hot sandwiches (on daytime flights)
- Crew is much happier than the crew at the MSP counterpart
- Flies to smaller, newer, easier Humphrey Terminal at MSP

The Bad:
- No mileage program
- IFE is just audio
- The Humphrey Terminal doesn't have many concessions at all - just one bar and two mini-convenience stores (this is partially because I don't think SY connects passengers so passengers don't have long layovers at the Humphrey Terminal)
- And of course, the MSP observation deck is in the Lindbergh Terminal!

Overall I really like flying SY but if they only had a mileage program I'd fly them much more often.
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:17 am

I flew them for the first time back in March on MSP-PHX-MSP. Unfortunately, I was onboard HV hybrids both ways, so no leather seats for me. But I was impressed with them nonetheless. The crew was friendly, the food was decent and everything was handled well. I would definitely fly them again.

Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:48 am

I have it from a good source that they are a great company. I hope they start hiring soon.
Proud OOTSK member

Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:18 pm

SUN country, and there hub is one of coldest places in america. lol

Anyway, i flew bos-msp (when they still flew out of bos before 9/11), and it... was just a flight. It's kind of a no-frills airline. They get you where you want to go. But that was a while ago. I hear they have improved, a bit. Good fares but they only place you can go is MSP, they dont do connecting flights, say lax-msp-lga.
"Why does a slight tax increase cost you $200 and a substantial tax cut save you 30 cents?"

Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:42 pm

Great Airline. As stated above it kind of is just a flight, Not overly amazing but just a nice flight, nice service, and nice crews for a nice price. Plus the hometown airline for me  Smile
MESA - fighting common sense one day at a time

Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:54 pm

I like them. Good prices. Nice schedules and destinations. New aircraft. Nice flight crews.

Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:39 pm

I've only flown on them once and it was back when they have 727's, we flew from KCVG-KLAS, from what I remember it seemed like a pretty good flight.
Another Day, Another Dollar.... Young Jeezy