B742
Topic Author

What To Do At CPH?

Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:32 pm

I am thinking of travelling to Bangkok some time in February, the package I may book, flying on SAS currently has a 6hr layover at CPH...

Is there any thing I could do whilst in CPH, how far is the airport from the city or near-by villages/town's?

Also how is SAS, I've always wanted to try them?  Smile

Rob!  wave 

HT

RE: What To Do At CPH?

Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:22 am

Quoting B742 (Thread starter):
how far is the airport from the city

Calculate about 15 minutes by train; 4 trains per hour.
Tickets are available from windows and from vending machines.

Is there any thing I could do whilst in CPH

February will be a very bad month to do spotting ...  Sad
"Flyver Grillen" to the west of the airport best is reached by car.
Approaches to Rwy 22 can be shot from underneath the approach path.
There is a free shuttle-bus running along the northern part of the airport: Its eastern terminus is a remote parking lot (staff and longterm pax). From there it is a 5-10 minute walk (direction are pretty obvious from that place).

There will bo no BIG (= "not to be missed") attractions available downtown at that time of the year. Lovely Copenhagen best is visited when the weather permits extensive use of (urban) outdoor activities.

6hr layover at CPH

In case the weather turns out to be veeery uncomfortable and you decide to stay airside, there is a "Quiet room" available at T2 (or is this already T1 ?). It is elevated and overlooks a bit of the apron. It is very handy to get some sleep on the couches (or "bedchairs") provided (free of charge). Buy your food at the newspaper shop downstairs and then settle into the Quiet Room afterwards. Has worked for me a number of times.

Also how is SAS, I've always wanted to try them?

Nothing special on shorthaul (no free food etc.); good scandinavian hospitality on longhaul flights, but do not expect much chi-chi  Wink
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

ajd1992

Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:53 am

As mentioned by HT, the flyvergrillen is a possibility. It's a great location, and there's a small cafe that provides (expensive by UK standards) food and drink. Just don't laugh at the sign on the door that ends in "I snør" Big grin I think at the CPH meet a while back, Kazzie spotted it. Be careful though, alot of words in Danish look like English profanities, like "Slag" means flavours or varieties (The last time i was there, i was staying with a Danish family that all spoke fluent English, so as we were laughing, all of them were busy trying to tell us what they actually mean Big grin) A great thing to do is go to Bakken, a great theme park however i don't think it's open until later in the evening as it closes at midnight. Also, i estimate 80% per cent of Danes in the city (mainly under 40 or so) speak enough English to understand you, or could find you somebody who was fluent.

Hope I helped!

pizzaandplanes

Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:01 pm

SAS is great. I just flew EWR-CPH last month and enjoyed their internet access the most. It's worth buying especially since it will soon be phaised out. As for CPH, I would just take a taxi to tivoli gardens and explore from there.
A real man lands where he wants to

HT

Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:44 pm

Quoting Pizzaandplanes (Reply 3):
As for CPH, I would just take a taxi to tivoli gardens and explore from there.

No real need for a taxi; Tivoli is within easy walking distance of Copenhagen's Central Station, but check whether "Tivoli" itself is closed in winter or not. I'm not too sure at the moment ...
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

Go3Team

Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:59 am

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 2):
Be careful though, alot of words in Danish look like English profanities,

Still trying to figure out what "I Fart" on the elevators/lifts mean...

Quoting HT (Reply 4):
No real need for a taxi; Tivoli is within easy walking distance of Copenhagen's Central Station,

Not only easy, but right across the street.
Yay Pudding!