usair320

Which Airports Do You Try To Avoid?

Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:37 am

Easy one for me. EWR!!!! That place is the S**t hole of the USA. The Airport I like best is FCO such a nice place.

Flyboy14295

RE: Which Airports Do You Try To Avoid?

Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:47 am

Ditto on that and also T4 at JFK. That place has got to be the scum of the earth at JFK. ITs sad tosee that people coming from outside the US have to experience T4 first. By the way, T4 at JFK is Delta.
Greetings from New York. "Take It to the limit." -Eagles

IAHFLYR

Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:17 am

HOU....nice new terminals but all the runways cross which can be a nightmare but ATC does a good job there.

OAK and SJC....lets get more passenger friendly but I do like some gates at SJC with no jetway so ya get the ole stairs, always love that.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

JGPH1A

Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:52 am

Quoting Flyboy14295 (Reply 1):
By the way, T4 at JFK is Delta.

No it isn't. T2 and T3 are Delta. T4 is the old International Arrivals Building.

I agree that T3 is the pits though, hasn't been refurbished since Pan Am left, very cramped and squalid.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Go3Team

Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:56 am

PHL

I have not flown thru there, but mostly anyone that I have heard that has, tries to avoid the place, unless you aren't checking luggage.
Yay Pudding!

PSA727

Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:16 am

ORD and ATL for the most part.

I'm not very fond of JFK or LHR either.

EWR (via CO) is starting to piss me off with the flights to/from
IAD and DCA arriving at Terminal A. The bus to Terminal C does
not run as often as it should during busy times. Other than that,
I really don't mind EWR. CO's Terminal C is quite nice actually.
fly high, pay low...Germanwings!

Flyboy14295

Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:43 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 3):
No it isn't. T2 and T3 are Delta. T4 is the old International Arrivals Building.

I agree that T3 is the pits though, hasn't been refurbished since Pan Am left, very cramped and squalid.

Thanks for the correction! I was there this morning and have already forgot! T4 is great. But T3 needs to be knocked down and built up from the ground again.
Greetings from New York. "Take It to the limit." -Eagles

sk601

Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:25 am

Quoting Usair320 (Thread starter):
Which Airports Do You Try To Avoid?

None! (if I don't have to change planes)

When transferring to another flight I will avoid:
-LHR
-IAD
-ORD
-FRA
-CDG
-MXP (together with AMS, one of the worst in the world when it comes to mishandling baggage)

I use AMS a lot, since it's basically my house, but it would not be my first choice for making a transfer. Loooooong walkways (hello Schiphol...tram?? like in DTW?) and known for bad baggage handling. I work at AMS almost 8 years and in all those years KL is blaming Schiphol for the baggage problems (regular system break-downs) and Schiphol is blaming KL for bad organisation...and I tell you: they are both right!

QXatFAT

Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:32 am

I find GRU a toughy to connect in. But I do love the airport there. I pretty much like every single airport because I get destracted from all the crap or crowd when I walk by gates and see beautiful birds at them or beautiful FA's getting ready to get on the birds  Smile
Don't Tread On Me!

bnamaxx

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:40 am

ATL can be pretty painful, but I have always suspected I am a victim of a massive DL gate scheduling conspiracy. If running late, I can always count on arriving at C1 and departing from T15 with 15 minutes connecting time. Which begs a question I never seem to remember to ask when there - is the old connector tunnel between concourses B and C still used as it was back when those gates were occupied by EA? For some reason I was under the impression it was closed off, but it shows up on the website map.

JetBlueAUS

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:41 am

LGA.

I always experience delays there. Then, when we finally push back we have an extended delay due to the long line at takeoff.
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

silentbob

Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:24 am

Quoting Go3Team (Reply 4):
PHL

I have not flown thru there, but mostly anyone that I have heard that has, tries to avoid the place, unless you aren't checking luggage.

You will still catch a delay there most of the time and then there is the Philly-attitude.

LipeGIG

Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:48 am

GRU and BSB.

The lack of comfort at the airport is impressive, and during high season, become a nightmare.

Felipe
New York + Rio de Janeiro = One of the best combinations !

VHVXB

Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:17 am

I try to Aviod LAX if i have to transfer to other flights on the same day

buck3y3nut

Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:37 am

definately like to avoid CDG; however due to my love for Air France, I cannot avoid it  Smile

Doona

Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:49 pm

Every connection I've had at CDG has been bothersome. Partly because I don't like rushing from one end of T2 to another, and partly because for some reason my connections with AF always seem to be reduced to 30 mins, because of various delays coming in...

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

DernierVirage

Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:11 pm

Quoting Buck3y3nut (Reply 14):
definately like to avoid CDG; however due to my love for Air France, I cannot avoid it

I agree completely !

CDG is the weak link for Air France, especially as the closure of 2E had a big impact on capacity (2E has in fact partly reopened, but all boarding is by bus !!). I think until 2E is completely open again and the other projects finished that CDG will continue to be a difficult place. That said, I notice that things like passport control, baggage claim etc that are handled by ADP (Aéroports de Paris) are still not showing any improvement, these are areas where things could be changed, whatever the status of the building and reconstruction work.

It's a pity, since the quality of AF is let down by their home base and my fear is that things may get worse before getting better. For some time now, I schedule all my flights to avoid busy periods, just to minimise the pain !

Quoting Doona (Reply 15):
Every connection I've had at CDG has been bothersome

CDG is the airport I know best, but I would not want to transfer through it myself !

alphafloor

Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:51 pm

Quoting DernierVirage (Reply 16):
CDG is the weak link for Air France, especially as the closure of 2E had a big impact on capacity (2E has in fact partly reopened, but all boarding is by bus !!). I think until 2E is completely open again and the other projects finished that CDG will continue to be a difficult place. That said, I notice that things like passport control, baggage claim etc that are handled by ADP (Aéroports de Paris) are still not showing any improvement, these are areas where things could be changed, whatever the status of the building and reconstruction work.

It's a pity, since the quality of AF is let down by their home base and my fear is that things may get worse before getting better. For some time now, I schedule all my flights to avoid busy periods, just to minimise the pain !

Agreed. CDG is also the airport I try to avoid, I'll add ORY. Last year my flight back to GVA was cancelled due to a strike, I was with my 4 year old son... no fun  Sad
Whatever

DernierVirage

Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:17 am

Quoting Alphafloor (Reply 17):
Last year my flight back to GVA was cancelled

I know the problem - 2 years ago I was taking a flight to GVA on a day where there was a surprise strike by Aéroports de Paris, who blocked all road access to terminal 2. I sat for 2 hours in the traffic, then had to get to the terminal on foot . There were about 100 protestors and the same number of police surveying them, but no attempt to move them or clear up the chaos.

usair320

Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:38 am

Quoting Silentbob (Reply 11):
You will still catch a delay there most of the time and then there is the Philly-attitude.

I know just what you mean about Philly attitude. I lived in the area for 15 years before moving out west. I rember on many occasions arriving from a long transatlantic having to hear the lovely PHL customs and immagration yelling"Yo yous wit a us passport ova here yous from otha countrys ova here" in he ever so famouse Philly accent.

iairallie

Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:40 am

Not to fond of FCO could they turn on the air just a little bit in the security line area geesh! It is so flipping hot this time of year in there. And I loathe ORD for all the delays.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

ordryan28

Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:29 am

ATL, yuck...worst airport ever
Whoever said winning is not everything never fought cancer.

tango29

Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:57 am

Only ever visited this airport once and i swore i would never set foot in it
again, you`ve guessed it.......CDG!!!

redflag   redflag   redflag 
Flown: A300,310,319,320,321,332,333,346,380, B720, 727,732,733,734,735,738,741,744,752,753,763,772,773

reyes27

Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:06 am

LAX if i have to transfer, dont mind it otherwise

ANITIX87

Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:04 pm

LHR...

Last summer, on the way to London doing EWR-LHR on VS, Passport Control took us an hour and 15 minutes, and we had left EWR at 8:00AM so there were not a HUGE number of flights arriving at 8:20 PM in LHR. The Heathrow Express also costs a fortune (well, everything in England does).

And on the way back home, we had 4.5 hours for our layover doing ZRH-LHR on LX and then LHR-EWR on VS. We made it to our flight with 15 minutes to spare.

Absolutely horrendous, and never again will I fly to or through LHR.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

rootsair

Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:25 am

any airport in the U.S !!!

filler
filler
filler
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

EWRandMDW

Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:31 pm

Either airport actually within the municipal boundaries of NYC and ATL, although my most recent experiences thru there weren't as bad as in the past.

AirScoot

Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:18 pm

IAD for any reason. Without question.

I'm also not terribly fond of ORD for connections since it's my luck that the day will be going perfectly smoothly for the rest of the world, yet when I get on a flight bound for ORD all hell breaks loose on the ground.

GAIsweetGAI

Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:42 am

CDG. Had to wait for my luggage.
IAD. Had to wait for friends at immigration.
Never again if that's possible.

Quoting Buck3y3nut (Reply 14):
definately like to avoid CDG; however due to my love for Air France, I cannot avoid it

Depends if you're doing a direct transatlantic flight and where you're going. You could always go through another European airport (I would choose OSL) and then take a connection to your final destination.
"There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

777fan

Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:04 am

Quoting Reyes27 (Reply 23):
LAX if i have to transfer, dont mind it otherwise

Exactly. Quite possibly the worst airport for connections. Period. UA domestic connections can require a marathon trek from T7 to T6 and don't offer a moving walkway to speed things up. Likewise, domestic connections from the TBIT (more like TB Piece O Sh*t) can be hellacious no matter the airline.

777fan
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

nhgrafx

Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:27 am

I really hate IAH, it is way too big and can get quite confusing sometimes. The only thing I like about it is how easy it is to get to the car rental area and also how easy it is to return the rental. I have business in Houston so I have no choice really of which airport to fly into. None of the direct flights from CLT to Houston go to HOU. Last time I was at IAH, taking a CO flight back to Charlotte, they put us in this old 1960's looking terminal on the far end of B which had no air conditioning (either that or it wasn't working). It was very hot and miserable in there and with the flight being delayed almost 2 hours, it was a nightmare. Although getting to take a bus out to the plane parked a mile away on the ramp was kind of cool.

I also really hate BOS, but I have family there so again I have no choice. I don't know of any commercial flights that operate out of BED and MHT and HFD are my alternatives, but I don't want to have to drive 2 hours after flying 2 hours. Then again it takes 2 hours just to get out of BOS.

Next time I have to travel to Houston I am going to see if I can get there via HOU instead, I hear its worse than IAH, but I will find out for myself.
Is it weird I have a RemoveBeforeFlight pitot cover on my car rear view mirror?

hjulicher

Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:28 am

CDG is hard, really hard for all of the rest of the people in the world who aren't aviation enthusiasts. I consider myself fluent in French, and airport literate and I got on the wrong bus for my connection because of the lack of explanation that terminals 2B and 2D are the same bus stop. Also, everyone else on the bus is utterly confused and those bus drivers with aids are so tired of being asked the same questions that they just yell everything in French, and of couse no one understands. For some reason every time that i transfer there, but US bound flight or inbound flight from the US always arrives at gates E78-87, which is this really of site terminal building that's nice, but isolated and completely not near anything. To get to and from, you have to take bus to the main Terminal 2E, and it's just so frusterating, especially when you only have a 35 minute connection.

CLE was pretty bad, and JFK terminal 3 (Delta) is the biggest shit hole. All these passengers come to america for the first time and they get off the plane that they have been on for plus 8 hours, and they go down into this basement where the ceiling is like 7 feet high with pipes exposed everywhere, very clausterphobic, and very dingy. Great first impressions!
LH 442

bohica

Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:49 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 3):
T4 is the old International Arrivals Building.

Actually T4 is now the NEW International building and it is very nice. A huge improvement over the old T4.

I will aviod LGA like the plague. There are not enough words to describe that dump.

Siren

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:41 am

I absolutely hate OAK...

As to airports I like... SJC. Call me strange, but I enjoy boarding a plane without the jetway. Stairs let you get intimate with the plane, and the airport, and the scent of jet fuel... it's the raw experience of travel! I go out of my way to get to SJC for that reason.

Sarah

Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:18 am

Tried to avoid connections through Toronto Pearson (YYZ) during their major overhaul. A major trek between Terminals 1 and 3 via shuttle buses with $3 carts on either end paired with line-ups to take off. They've now added a train connecting T1 and T3.

That said, YYZ will become my new home airport in September.  Smile

GQfluffy

Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:54 pm

Quoting Bnamaxx (Reply 9):
is the old connector tunnel between concourses B and C still used

The tunnel runs from T all the way out to E concourse...escaltors/stairs/elevators to each concourse...

Back on topic; I loathe CVG. It seems everytime I fly thru that place I miss a connection or barely just make one which leaves me all stressed out. I avoid that place if at all possible....
This isn't where I parked my car...

DAL767400ER

Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 35):
Quoting Bnamaxx (Reply 9):
is the old connector tunnel between concourses B and C still used
The tunnel runs from T all the way out to E concourse...escaltors/stairs/elevators to each concourse...

That's the main tunnel in the center of the concourses. What Bnamaxx was referring to is the tunnel on the northside that runs solely between B and C. Was built by Eastern (or for them) to allow for bettter connections and shorter walks for their pax, and yes, the tunnel is still being used, though I have not yet had the chance to use it myself.

As for which airport I avoid, add me to the "CDG haters". Reasons have been given aplenty by others, so no need for me to add much about it, other than that I prefer to connect in FRA and forego my 2 500-mile Skymiles segments from HAM than getting them and having to connect through CDG. Thankfully DL and KL are now finally codesharing, so with AMS available, I won't have to worry about CDG anymore anyway  Wink .

LPLAspotter

Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:43 pm

LHR since you have to wait in the central part of each terminal before your gate is announced. Annoying if you want to spot aircraft before bording.

LPLAspotter
Nuke the Gay Wales for Christ

falstaff

Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:05 am

Quoting AirScoot (Reply 27):
I'm also not terribly fond of ORD for connections since it's my luck that the day will be going perfectly smoothly for the rest of the world, yet when I get on a flight bound for ORD all hell breaks loose on the ground.

ORD for me. I have missed a couple of transfers because of the time it took to walk from one part to another. That was back in the TWA days of the 90s. I can't say what would happen now, but I still avoid it. When I lived in St. Louis it was sometimes hard to avoid it, epecially after the AA-TWA merger. Now I fly on NWA most of the time and out of DTW I almost always have a direct flight.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

airforceone

Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:04 am

Ottawa was the Most Crampled for Me

AirForceOne

Asturias

Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:02 am

I don't think there is any single airport I try to actively avoid.. rather there are certain types of airports. It is a bit hard to explain, but it's somehow like this. I avoid MAD and BCN, am attracted to ALC and OVD.. it is a certain size I suppose. I like the airports serving a population of 300 thousand people (more or less).

Make sense? I'm not sure, but it does to me  Smile

cheers

Asturias
Tonight we fly

swissgabe

Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:26 am

LHR
CDG
DFW
RUH
CMB
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

NightHawk117

Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:20 am

I try to avoid any routing through ATL. Since I am mainly a DL flier, I get stuck w/ connections through there because it is much cheaper or there are no other options.

Why?...ATL is horrendous when it comes to amount of traffic and delays. I've missed 3 connections and had significant delays just about every time I've gone through there. On the other hand, I never had those problems going through SLC.
Team Stealth...when it absolutely, positively HAS to be taken out overnight!

Boston92

Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:20 pm

OAK. IAD is usually filled past capacity, T1 at LAX, the old Terminal at BDL, PIT kind of freaks me out sometimes, I have no idea why.
"Why does a slight tax increase cost you $200 and a substantial tax cut save you 30 cents?"

silentbob

Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:51 am

After the treatment I got this morning in CLT, I'd be happy if I didn't have to go there again. Nothing like having gate agents threaten to pull you off an aircraft and then make verbal threats about the next time they see you. Having that happen while in uniform just makes it even better.

Leskova

Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:10 am

Any airport that has a name beginning with the word "London"...  Wink

... and I try to avoid having to transfer at MUC whenever possible (which, given that my home airport is FRA, isn't really much of a problem).
Smile - it confuses people!

boeingfanyyz

Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:40 am

CDG- Complete shithole with even shittier staff, many of whom do not speak English (even the BA employees!!!)

CUN- Customs: YIKES! No air conditioning + 35-plus temperatures + huge lines + 10 flights arriving at the same time = problems!

Favorite: YYZ- trouble-free airport

Cheers,
Boeingfanyyz  airplane 
"If it aint boeing, it aint going!", "Friends are like condoms...they protect you when things get hard!"

mjlhou

Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:24 am

Quoting Siren (Reply 33):
I absolutely hate OAK...

I'm sure it'll get better once the new terminal is complpete and open....sorry for now.

Bangkok(BKK) is absolutely the worst in my opinion....I was through there a total of 4 times and waited more than an hour to get through immigration every time! Thank God the new airport is almost complete!
Don't worry about things you can't change or control

TimePilot

Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:17 pm

JFK is the absolute WORST airport I've ever been to; I hate it with every fiber of my being. If I never have the misfortune of flying through there again it will be too soon!!

Immigration has got to be the worst part. I stood at the counter while some Chinese guy who said not one word to me, sat there chatting up a girl from some other section (customs maybe.) I had to stand there for no reason while he talked to her, then he just tossed my passport on the desk and looked at me, which I took to mean that I could leave.

Even if it means more hassle I ALWAYS try to fly through ORD. The people there are MUCH nicer!!!

kingsford

Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:54 pm

Especially with new security measures : LHR ! Nightmarish airport with extra long walks, long luggage waits, guaranteed delays, extra small, packed terminals for check-in.

Only one thing comes out good - nice shops, which are a necessity to remain entertained while waiting for your delayed connection.