vinniewinnie

For What Reasons Do You Fly?

Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:33 am

I'm just wondering... Some people on this website seem to only fly for the experience. So they are happily to fork out $$$$$ just to be on a particular flight/aircraft and/or to experience a new airport.

This does not make sense to me: Most people fly because they have to, either for business or for holidays. The only thing they care about is price and journey length, which should be as short as possible!

What about you lot?

I myself fly because I have to go somewhere. As an aviation enthusiast I absolutely love it when I have the ability to fly, but it's not my primary aim. At the moment I would never pay more to be on a particular plane. I would never pay $$$$$ to do a particular return flight. I always try to find the cheapest fare available keeping in mind convenience of the timing/destination. The aircraft or the airport I will be going to comes as a distant third.

But things might change once i have the $$$$ needed...

NASOCEANA

RE: For What Reasons Do You Fly?

Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:24 am

The main reason is time. In business time is money. I will definitely pay more to fly a particular plane. It's all about comfort to me. I tend to hate 3 x 3 seating so, I will pay the added premium to fly in business or first class.

My rule of thumb is anything over 3hrs driving and I will buy a plane ticket.

However, I will soon be looking into buying hours of frictional jet ownership. This seems to be the new business trend.
B777 greatest Airliner ever built!

iairallie

Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:39 am

Sometimes I will pay a little more(not a lot) or pick a less convienient itenerary to fly on an aircraft or airline that is new to me or through a new airport.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

thepilot

Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:39 am

I fly for one reason...PASSION! However, my airline flights usually involve family of sorts, as I have quite a large family. As of late, it has been for colleges and spotting  Smile
From YVR

AirCop

Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:06 am

Quoting VinnieWinnie (Thread starter):
I myself fly because I have to go somewhere. As an aviation enthusiast I absolutely love it when I have the ability to fly, but it's not my primary aim. At the moment I would never pay more to be on a particular plane. I would never pay $$$$$ to do a particular return flight. I always try to find the cheapest fare available keeping in mind convenience of the timing/destination. The aircraft or the airport I will be going to comes as a distant third.

dollarsign  Agreed! Spend the money elsewhere, where more enjoyment can be a result.

Quoting NASOCEANA (Reply 1):
However, I will soon be looking into buying hours of frictional jet ownership.

eek  WHAT? What does a handler for FedEx and a college student need with a part ownership of a private jet????

NASOCEANA

Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:01 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 4):
WHAT? What does a handler for FedEx and a college student need with a part ownership of a private jet????

Profile has not been updated in a while. I have a B.S. Finance and will be finishing up my MBA next Fall, and soon to be a private business co-founder!
B777 greatest Airliner ever built!

jeffry747

Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:33 am

I only get to fly once or twice a year so for me it is the experience of it. I currently do not own aand Amtrak does not stop in Louisville so for me the only way to visit family members in New York City and Virginia is to hop on that plane. My parents constantly suggest taking a Greyhound bus as it is cheaper, but screw that! I love airplanes to much to not fly. I would rather fork over a couple of hundred dollars for a plane ticket.

Quoting VinnieWinnie (Thread starter):
So they are happily to fork out $$$$$ just to be on a particular flight/aircraft and/or to experience a new airport.

Last year I booked a flight to JFK via FLL (which is WAAAYY out of the way) just to hitch a ride on a 757. I am always looking to go on a plane I haven't been on before. Unfortunately the ERJ-135(which I also had never been on either) to FLL was cancelled so I was stuck on a CRJ going SDF-JFK direct. Bummer!
C'mon Big B, FLY!