I've flown between the two cities on no less than 10 different airlines. Here is what I would recommend and what I would avoid, obviously on a value-for-money basis:
- Usually the best fares on the route, with a fairly neat connection through MAD
. Decent food, 34" of pitch, well-maintained 744s. My personal favourite.
- Not particularly direct, but have seen some decent prices. Must be nice flying such huge distances in 180-seat widebodies (762s).
- Can be a little shambolic on the ground (ie. GRU
), but to date I have seen fares as low as £522 return, the best I have ever seen on the route.
don't actually fly to EZE
, but sometimes you can get interesting fares (as low as £535 return) on AF
flights but booking them through klm.com. Worth trying.
- Never come across good fares between LHR
(partly because it is such a long journey via MAD
), but people have been known to find them.
- Fares under £600 are not impossible to come by, and though somewhat bland, their product is fairly solid. Just bring a good book.
- They fly down to GRU
(and give you the option of leaving London from LCY
, if it suits your sister) and from there code-share with JJ
. Again, good product, worth looking into.
Avoid on grounds of ££££!
*Unless you start the trip outside the UK, eg. AMS
. This typically slashes the fare by 50%--so long as you actually fly them!
(Living up to their acronym...)
(Avoid at all costs)
(Excellent prices but ticketing system shambollic)
And anything via North America, the journey will quite literally kill her!
There is one airline that I cannot list in any of the above, but I would seriously keep in mind ONLY as a last resort. They get you there, but not in comfort. In case you haven't guessed it by now, I am referring to IB
Good luck with the search, there should still be some good deals out there!