jsnww81

Upcoming Scandinavia Trip - Lots Of Questions

Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:58 am

Hello all:

This November I've got a six-day trip to Scandinavia set up. My itinerary is as follows:

ORD-LHR on American
LHR-CPH on British Airways
**two nights in Copenhagen**
CPH-HEL on Finnair
**one night in Helsinki**
HEL-ARN on Finnair
**two nights in Stockholm**
ARN-CPH on SAS
CPH-LHR on British Airways
LHR-ORD on American

I've wanted to see Scandinavia for a long time so I'm understandably very excited about this trip. Originally I was just going to Copenhagen but I couldn't resist the lure of visiting Sweden and Finland (and their respective capital airports) as well.

A few questions...
1.) I booked most of my flights through American Airlines' website and didn't receive seat assignments for any of them except the ORD-LHR and return segments (which makes sense since those are flown on AA metal.) BA and Finnair are oneworld carriers, so can I obtain seat assignments by calling them, or do they follow the very annoying European model of not assigning seats until the day of departure?

2.) I booked the ARN-CPH segment through flysas.com. I didn't see any way to select a seat there either. Can I call SAS to confirm a seat, or will I have to wait until I check in at Arlanda?

3.) The Finnair CPH-HEL flight is an A320 and HEL-ARN is an E170, but SAS didn't list equipment on my itinerary. What equipment typically flies ARN-CPH?

4.) I've flown British Airways shorthaul before so I know what to expect for LHR-CPH and back, but what kind of on-board service can I expect from Finnair and SAS? All three inter-Scandinavia flights are morning flights... will there be any sort of breakfast service in coach?

5.) For viewing, I expect CPH will have the most diverse traffic, but I've also heard viewing from the terminal isn't very good. What about ARN and HEL?

As I said, I'm very excited about this trip and I plan to take a ton of pictures. Whatever advice and answers you all can offer are much appreciated!

Summa767

RE: Upcoming Scandinavia Trip - Lots Of Questions

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:20 am

Quoting Jsnww81 (Thread starter):
but what kind of on-board service can I expect from Finnair and SAS?

The nordic countries are great destinations this time of the year.

I just fkew Finnair in the last 2 weeks.. LHR-HEL and back. I really quite liked it.

I undertand that SAS onboard service is really quite minimal now. Quite the contrary on AY
Link to my trip report (with photos). http://www.airliners.net/discussions/trip_reports/read.main/84380/

[Edited 2006-08-27 19:21:51]

Alessandro

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:30 am

Perhaps to take the train to Malmo from Copenhagen, then see the turning torso and return, railway bridge is located next to CPH.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

Go3Team

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:38 am

2.) I booked the ARN-CPH segment through flysas.com. I didn't see any way to select a seat there either. Can I call SAS to confirm a seat, or will I have to wait until I check in at Arlanda?

If I remember right, only Business Class seating is selectable online. Call the US number, and see if they can assign you one.
Yay Pudding!

Tristarsteve

Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:28 am

5.) For viewing, I expect CPH will have the most diverse traffic, but I've also heard viewing from the terminal isn't very good. What about ARN and HEL?

At HEL if you are airside in the terminal you can walk the whole length of it and their are windows all the way. Good viewing.
At ARN you arrive at T2 which has large windows in the airside area, but you can only see the freight ramp from there. But once through security turn left and walk towards T4 and T5. It is indoors all the way. Walk down to T3 which has good viewing, and stop in Sky City which has huge windows out onto the ramp with cafes and restaurants (and McDonalds) with good views.
When you leave on SAS from T5, once through security you can walk the whole length of T5 all three fingers and all with windows.

afay1

Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:46 am

As an aside, Norwegians, Swedes, and Danes usually claim that Iceland and Finland are Nordic, but NOT Scandinavian. The reasoning for this seems murky to me, as an outsider, but just letting you know...

FFlyer

Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:03 am

Quoting Summa767 (Reply 1):
The nordic countries are great destinations this time of the year

Really....in November...? Isn't it already miserable with darkness and possible wet snow especially in Helsinki at that time?

CPH terminal is great in my mind.

amhilde

Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:21 am

Just to add- be aware that this part of the world is quite expensive. Seeing the Turning Torso is ok in Malmo, but the train ride over and back from Copenhagen is about $35 (though that is from the Swedish side- may be slightly different from the Danish side) and the TT is a residential building- you cannot enter it at all. Sure its an interesting piece of architecture, but if you have a short time in Copenhagen, then see Copenhagen which is far more exciting than Malmo.

SK- CPH-ARN is a very short flight- 45 minutes flight time. SK have really cut back the service lately so dont expect anything but Buy on Board. May want to get to the airport a little earlier than usual too- CPH is insanity for early morning flights.

Itll be dark and slushy, especially in Copenhagen, but if you are coming from Chicago, then its not like it isnt something you havent experienced before!
Hang on tightly, Let go lightly

UpperDeck79

Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:44 am

BA and Finnair are oneworld carriers, so can I obtain seat assignments by calling them, or do they follow the very annoying European model of not assigning seats until the day of departure?

Call AY, they should be able to give you a seat assignment already now.

Quoting TristarSteve (Reply 4):
At HEL if you are airside in the terminal you can walk the whole length of it and their are windows all the way. Good viewing.

At HEL, there is a cafe and restaurant called Fly Inn on land side just above the airside of Schengen terminal. You can see the inside of the terminal and -- most importantly -- watch almost the whole of runways 1 and 3 with around 90 % of departing and arriving traffic. You can access the cafe/restaurant with an escalator from departure hall 3 right next to KLM check-in desks. It's the light blue restaurant area above gate 27 in this map:
http://www.helsinki-vantaa.fi/files/...ionalFlights_T2_service_FinEng.pdf

Have a nice time in Helsinki and at HEL!  Smile
AY and ANA rock!

palmjet

Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:02 am

Landside views from any of the terminals at CPH are practically non-existent. Don't even bother to go to the terminal for spotting or pics. Moreover, there are few shops or food places landside either. Everything is airside.

If you have time, go to the Flyvergrillen - which seems to be an official viewing area at CPH. If you get the free bus to the Domestic Terminal and walk from there, it's about a 25 min walk. There is a CPH spotters website which will give you lots of good info about spotting at CPH.

I've just returned from CPH this evening. Traffic over the weekend was not busy - but certainly steady.

Highlight was the seeing the new SAS retrojet A319 - both on Sat and Sun.

Depending on how long you are in CPH, you should expect to see a large proportion of the SAS longhaul fleet, many of their A321s, heaps of their MD-80s. The Dash 8 -400s of Scandinavian Commuter are extremely frequent.

Other visitors to CPH this past weekend included Blue1 Avro jets, Icelandair 757-300/200, Icelandair Express MD-90, numerous Sterling B737-800s, Flynordic MD-80, PIA A310, Iran Air B747-200, Thai 747-400.

Have fun!
Eastern - Number One To The Sun

challiday

Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:58 am

1.) I booked most of my flights through American Airlines' website and didn't receive seat assignments for any of them except the ORD-LHR and return segments (which makes sense since those are flown on AA metal.) BA and Finnair are oneworld carriers, so can I obtain seat assignments by calling them, or do they follow the very annoying European model of not assigning seats until the day of departure?

Calling AA, BA, or AY Should be your easist option for getting a seat pre-booked. Or, checking in online. Other wise BA and AY will not pre book your seat.

3.) The Finnair CPH-HEL flight is an A320 and HEL-ARN is an E170

AY a/c are very pleasent to fly in. I only last week flew an a320 and an a321 AY HEL to LHR return.

4.) I've flown British Airways shorthaul before so I know what to expect for LHR-CPH and back, but what kind of on-board service can I expect from Finnair and SAS? All three inter-Scandinavia flights are morning flights... will there be any sort of breakfast service in coach?

Again flew AY last week. Happy crew, hot meal, bit of telly (with subtitles, no head phones), good leg room. In fact for the two and a half hour flight couldn't find anything to fault them. Even on a short hop with AY you should get something. They don't operate a LCC style service in coach.

MRURUN

Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:59 am

HEL will be slushy too at that time of year, absolutely great viewing from the airside, particularly with those MD-11's about. Might spot a few Tups as well. I found HEL less expensiven than ARN although CPH isnt too bad either. AY have a truly great on board product, they have a well deserved reputation. I doubt that SAS will provide much outside of their BOB product.

Personally, I found HEL to be diverse in terms of aircraft, although CPH will have a more diverse choice of airlines. (Mind you, coming from HEL, you'll have had your fill of MD's)

BA will NOT pre-assign in Euro Traveller, EXCEPT if you are a top tier OW (BA GOLD equiv) card holder, holding a fully changeable Y tix. Same with AY, I cant comment on SAS in that regard. However, what you can do is ring BA in the US and ask them if they can see your AA flt and then request your seat from there, its not gnteed but may be worth a shot.
You may also be able to checkin online, 24 hours prior to your BA flight, however, sometimes this doesnt work if you've been ticekted on AA stock (001).

CRJ900

Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:00 am

SAS serves a complimentary breakfast in Y on international flights before 9am (I was served that on OSL-CPH some weeks ago, it was tasty - selection of fresh warm bread, cheese, coldcuts, marmelade, yoghurt, orange juice and coffee/tea), after 9am they sell food and drinks - but coffee and tea is free all day.

I have always been able to select my seat on SAS when checking in online 22 hours before departure on domestic and international flights.

Norway, Sweden and Denmark are physically situated on the Scandinavian peninsula, while Finland is on the "mainland" and Iceland is an island. But toghether they are "Norden" - the North.

Smile
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

RedChili

Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:48 am

Can I call SAS to confirm a seat, or will I have to wait until I check in at Arlanda?

I believe your best option is to check in online on the day before the flight.

What equipment typically flies ARN-CPH?

MD80, B736, B738, A321.

For viewing, I expect CPH will have the most diverse traffic, but I've also heard viewing from the terminal isn't very good. What about ARN and HEL?

When you're flying from ARN, you will use terminal 5. Your flight will probably depart from a gate between 1-10. Go to gate 10 and go upstairs. That's one of the best places inside the terminal for viewing airplanes.

The sun only rises at around 8:00-8:30 AM (depending on if you're coming in the beginning or end of November), so if your flight is before that time, you won't see much.

Terminal 5 in the morning in November has a lot of the major European carriers, plus several Scandinavian charter carriers, plus TG and CO. There's usually more variation around 2-3 PM.

Quoting Afay1 (Reply 5):
As an aside, Norwegians, Swedes, and Danes usually claim that Iceland and Finland are Nordic, but NOT Scandinavian. The reasoning for this seems murky to me, as an outsider, but just letting you know...

Americans usually claim that Washington, and not New York, is the capital of the USA. That seems strange to me...

Seriously, Scandinavia is the name of the peninsula where Norway and Sweden are located today. The southern part of Sweden used to belong to Denmark a few hundred years ago, so historically speaking Denmark also had a part of the Scandinavian peninsula and is considered a part of Scandinavia. But to say that Finland is a part of Scandinavia, is like saying that Texas is an island in the Carribean.
Top 10 airplanes: B737, T154, B747, IL96, T134, IL62, A320, MD80, B757, DC10

afay1

Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:53 am

However, the fact remains that many Finns claim to be Scandinavian, regardless of the geographic facts, the Icelandic to a lesser extent (although their ethnic claim is much stronger, unlike the Finns). While some Texans might believe that Texas is its own country in the middle of the Carribean, and that New York is the capital of the US that still doesn't explain the discrepancy between what the Danes, Swedes, Norwegians and then the Finns and Icelandic say about themselves.

Sukhoi

Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:12 am

Quoting CRJ900 (Reply 12):
but coffee and tea is free all day.

I had to pay 15 kronor when I flew TLL-ARN for a coffee  faint  but it is was great coffee! Estonia=almost Nordic country.

Sukhoi

Sukhoi

Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:37 am

Quoting Afay1 (Reply 14):
However, the fact remains that many Finns claim to be Scandinavian, regardless of the geographic facts, the Icelandic to a lesser extent (although their ethnic claim is much stronger, unlike the Finns).

Scandinavia is Denmark, Norway and Sweden and together with Iceland and Finland it´s Norden, The Nordic. I´m 100% sure that they learnt that in school in Finland too. There is a minority population in Finland that have Swedish as there mother tongue and the population of Finland where forced to learn Swedish at school until recently. Street names in many cities have both Swedish and Finnish names like the airports in Finland have signs in three languages.

Sukhoi

afay1

Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:42 am

Reallllly? Icelandair doesn't seem so sure about Finland- http://www.icelandair.com/home/destinations/flights-to-helsinki/

Wikipedia has coverage about this semantic controversy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavia

You can do any web search and come up with lots of indiginous websites touting both Iceland and Finland as being in Scandinavia, whether on the peninsula or not.

Anyway, JSNWW81 will have a lovely time not matter where he technically is going!

gunsontheroof

Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:47 am

To add to what others have said, HEL offers an observation deck of sorts above the gate area that has some pretty great views...plus, you can get to it even if you aren't going through security, as it's accessed by a stairway that goes over security/the main gates. Pretty cool.

Too bad you're only getting one night in HEL, it's a really great city.

jsnww81

Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:56 am

Thanks to all of you so far, and sorry for starting a debate about what is - and what isn't - part of Scandinavia!

Quoting RedChili (Reply 13):
The sun only rises at around 8:00-8:30 AM (depending on if you're coming in the beginning or end of November), so if your flight is before that time, you won't see much.

Fortunately, my earliest flight is at 9:30am, so everything will be flown during daylight. I don't know if the weather will cooperate, but hopefully I'll be able to see some of Sweden/Finland and the Baltic Sea from the air.

I have always been able to select my seat on SAS when checking in online 22 hours before departure on domestic and international flights.

Yes, I think this will be my option too. I called SAS today and they said that Stockholm-Copenhagen flights don't begin assigning seats until the day before departure (unless you're in business class.) I haven't picked my hotel just yet, but hopefully it'll have an internet kiosk so I can get my seat the day before. If not, I can always find an internet cafe.

I'm rooting for an A321 on the ARN-CPH route... I've flown MD80s plenty of times, but never on a "stretch" A320.

Quoting Palmjet (Reply 9):
If you have time, go to the Flyvergrillen - which seems to be an official viewing area at CPH. If you get the free bus to the Domestic Terminal and walk from there, it's about a 25 min walk. There is a CPH spotters website which will give you lots of good info about spotting at CPH.

I have heard about the Flyvergrillen and was planning to stroll over there, probably the morning that I arrive (I'll be fighting jetlag after my redeye to LHR, so the cold morning air should help wake me up!) Do you have the URL for the CPH spotters' website?

A few new questions:
-- I can't pick my seats yet (except on Finnair which was able to assign them to me), but which side of the aircraft should I try to sit on. I'm hoping to have good views during landing at CPH, HEL and ARN, but I wasn't sure which direction winds typically blow from and from which direction we'll approach each airport.

-- I'm flying from ARN to CPH on a Monday morning, arriving at 11:25am. My outbound flight to LHR (connecting onward to Chicago) is at 1:30pm. Since I have bought two different sets of tickets, I'll have to claim my luggage at CPH, exit the secure area, and re-check my bags with British Airways. Is two hours enough time?

-- Are all three nations (Denmark, Sweden, Finland) outside of the Schengen treaty area? I'm hoping to get lots of new stamps in my passport, but I wasn't sure who is and isn't Schengen up in that neck of the woods.

Thanks again for all your advice!

VonRichtofen

Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:24 pm

Quoting Afay1 (Reply 5):

What CRJ-900 already said and I'll also add that the Finnish language has pretty much no similarities to Norwegian, Swedish and Danish (which are quite similar to one another). I can't speak for Iceland though.

Quoting Jsnww81 (Reply 19):
Are all three nations (Denmark, Sweden, Finland) outside of the Schengen treaty area? I'm hoping to get lots of new stamps in my passport, but I wasn't sure who is and isn't Schengen up in that neck of the woods.

You will get a stamp in CPH, not sure about entering Finland from Denmark, but I know entering Sweden from Denmark you won't even go through a checkpoint. Basically you'll get one stamp that's good for Denmark, Sweden and Norway I believe.

Another note, prepare yourself to see the finest women Europe has to offer. When you get back to the US you probably will be turned off American women for quite a while. They don't hold a candle to Scandinavian women, not even close. Big grin

Kris

palmjet

Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:18 pm

For CPH spotting - try http://cphaviation.homepage.dk/

Cheers
Eastern - Number One To The Sun

UpperDeck79

Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:21 pm

Quoting MRURUN (Reply 11):
HEL will be slushy too at that time of year, absolutely great viewing from the airside, particularly with those MD-11's about. Might spot a few Tups as well.

Tupolevs are becoming very rare at HEL, too, since after starting code-sharing with AY both Pulkovo from LED and Aeroflot from SVO have to use western aircraft on the code-share routes.

Then again Severstal Aircompany flies a Yakovlev Yak-40 from PES (Petrozavodsk, Russia) to HEL on Mon, Wed and Fri arrivint at 1.30 pm, departing at 2.30 pm.

Mind you, coming from HEL, you'll have had your fill of MD's

AY does not fly any MD80/90s anymore, only Blue1 in Finland has them (3 of them, I think).

Are all three nations (Denmark, Sweden, Finland) outside of the Schengen treaty area? I'm hoping to get lots of new stamps in my passport, but I wasn't sure who is and isn't Schengen up in that neck of the woods.

All of those countries are INSIDE the Schengen area so there is no passport control while flying between them. If they don't stamp you (which they should, since you are not a Schengen citizen) when you land at Denmark from the US, just ASK to get your passport stamped. I've done that at AMS and they are happy to do it. Big grin
AY and ANA rock!

Lufthansa747

Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:37 pm

Same with AY

AY should be able to assign seats nowadays.
Air Asia Super Elite, Cebu Pacific Titanium

Tristarsteve

Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:50 pm

When you enter and leave CPH you will go through passport control. The rest of your trip you will not see a passport officer. In fact travelling HEL-ARN on AY recently I did not even show my passport to anyone, not even the AY staff.
Arriving in CPH and HEL the best viewing is to stay in the terminal before you go out through security. At ARN you arrive in T2 which is not so good because its viewing windows point the wrong way, but on dep go airside as soon as possible and you have lots of space.
If you want to stay in ARN on arrival try walking to T5 and going upstairs to the cafe. You can see quite a lot from here.
I was trying to decide which side of the aircraft to sit for an ARN arrival, but there is no real pattern. On balance, try the left hand side. If you land on 26 you will taxi past the whole airport going to T2.

bennett123

Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:31 pm

At ARN, there are also some interesting views of Skyways F50 and the Cargo area from near T3.

DABZF

Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:37 pm

3.) What equipment typically flies ARN-CPH?

They use mix of A321 and MD80/2 and throw in a B736 occasionally.

Quoting Sukhoi (Reply 16):
Scandinavia is Denmark, Norway and Sweden and together with Iceland and Finland it´s Norden, The Nordic. I´m 100% sure that they learnt that in school in Finland too.

As a Finn living in Scandinavia I can confirm this. Finland is part of Nordic countries but it is not Scandinavia neither by geographical or historical perspect.

One of the greatest Finns (J. W. Snellman) once said (in the 17'th century) that "Swedes we never were and Russians we never become so let's be Finns"  Smile ... and I have a Swedish flag in my profile... hmmm...  Wink
I like driving backwards in the fog cause it doesn't remind me of anything - Chris Cornell

dstc47

Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:44 pm

There is a good aviation museum at Helsinki airport.

Not sure if it will be open when you will visit but it is worth checking that out. Downside it is an awkard walk from the terminal, especially in winter, but probably too close to encourage an airport taxi to take you there. It is a very long time since I was last there, but at that time the public bus used to pass close by and perhaps it still does.

DABZF

Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:56 pm

Quoting Dstc47 (Reply 27):
There is a good aviation museum at Helsinki airport.

http://www.suomenilmailumuseo.fi/en/index.html

You can take the bus 615T or 615N for few stops from the terminal to get there!
Should be open everyday 11-18
I like driving backwards in the fog cause it doesn't remind me of anything - Chris Cornell

ChrisH

Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:04 pm

Norway, Sweden and Denmark are physically situated on the Scandinavian peninsula, while Finland is on the "mainland" and Iceland is an island.

Denmark is not connected to the peninsula.

Finns do not call themselves scandinavians, at least i never heard it, and I'm half finnish.
what seems to be the officer, problem?

MRURUN

Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:16 pm

Quoting UpperDeck79 (Reply 22):

WOW, was there in January, and AY wouldnt assign for me! I'd love to have seen a YAK, might be worth another trip!! Do Aero fly the MD80's, I meant to say, coming from ORD, he'd have seen MD's.

UpperDeck79

Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:29 pm

Quoting MRURUN (Reply 30):
Do Aero fly the MD80's

Nope, they went to AY's LCC in Sweden, Flynordic: http://www.flynordic.com/menu/aboutflynordic/ourfleet.htm

Aero flies ATR-72s: http://www.aeroairlines.com/?id=10151
AY and ANA rock!

797charter

Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:56 pm

Quoting Afay1 (Reply 5):

Ooh, - is that so, - new to me  Confused

Quoting FFlyer (Reply 6):
Quoting Summa767 (Reply 1):

Ooh, - is that so, - new to me  Confused  Confused
Well yes if you prefer 2-10 degrees centigrade, a lot wind, and a lot of rain - then it is perfect.

Quote:
Really....in November...? Isn't it already miserable with darkness and possible wet snow especially in Helsinki at that time?

Denmark too.

Quoting FFlyer (Reply 6):
CPH terminal is great in my mind.

checkmark 

I wish you a enjoyable trip.

Regards Steen
Keep it clear of the propellers

flyboy_se

Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:38 pm

on the ARN-CPH sector following flights are operated by teh A321 during the weekdays SK401,SK403,SK405,SK407,Sk409,SK413 the rest is operated by the MD 80 apart from SK1417 and SK1427 which are 737-800. However there could be a swap in the equipement so you never now.
SAS serves rather nice complimentary breakfast on all its domestic and intrascandinavian flights before 930 am. After that they only have buy on board.And they charge you for cofee and tea too.The stuff they offer is pretty ok and the prices are decent.
November can be pretty different month every year.It can either be pretty mild ar pretty harch with early snows. However you wont see a lot of daylight.

at ARN you have a pretty good viewing from Cafe Grill which is located in the middle of teh departure hall at terminal 5 from where you will depart on SAS.You take the escalators up. At terminal 2 from Where Finnair operates there isnt really that much to see as the vie is facing the cargo ramp.You may see few Fed Ex ,DHL and UPS planes. However sometimes they park Thai 747 and Ethiopian 757 there during their stop at ARN. apart from AY,BA,IB and MA terminal 2 is mostly home to LCC carriers such as Germanwings,HLX,Flynordic,Norwegian and Icelan Express. Also you may spot the daily TP flight too.

As interesting things to see, you have most flights from terminal 5. its basicly mostly european carriers.One of the nice spots to spot is at the end of F pier. You use the lower level and go all the way to the end of the pier.There you have pretty good views.Also you might spot SAS A330 for ORD and EWR.
You will have good time here.
I think you should have got a ticket from ARN to OSL on your way back and then fly with BA from OSL to LHR instead.then you could have visited Norway too.
I prefer to be crazy and happy rather than normal and bitter

RedChili

Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:36 am

Quoting Afay1 (Reply 17):
Reallllly? Icelandair doesn't seem so sure about Finland

I know that you can find plenty of web sites which would put Finland in Scandinavia, but to get the true story, you should actually get it from the Scandinavians.

Back in school in Norway, I always learned that there are 52 United States of America. When I became a little bit wiser and learned that there are only 50 states, I remember having an argument with several people in my class, but nobody would believe me.

And when I came to Russia, I visited several places which (according to my map) were parts of Siberia. And I was very surprised to find out from the locals that Siberia was much smaller than I had thought.

I'm rooting for an A321 on the ARN-CPH route... I've flown MD80s plenty of times, but never on a "stretch" A320.

You said that your flight is on a Monday morning. According to Amadeus, on Monday, November 13, the ARN-CPH flights are:

A321: SK 401, 403, 405, 407, 409, 413.
B738: SK 1417, 1427.
MD80: SK 1415, 1419, 1421, 1423, 1425, 1429, 411.

I'm hoping to have good views during landing at CPH, HEL and ARN, but I wasn't sure which direction winds typically blow from and from which direction we'll approach each airport.

Landing at ARN can be on 01L, 01R, 19L, 19R, and 26, so it's difficult to say what the best seat will be. You won't see much during the approach, as there are mostly farmlands around ARN.

I'm flying from ARN to CPH on a Monday morning, arriving at 11:25am. My outbound flight to LHR (connecting onward to Chicago) is at 1:30pm. Since I have bought two different sets of tickets, I'll have to claim my luggage at CPH, exit the secure area, and re-check my bags with British Airways. Is two hours enough time?

Two hours should be enough, but it doesn't hurt to ask SAS at ARN if they can tag the bag through for you.

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 20):
What CRJ-900 already said and I'll also add that the Finnish language has pretty much no similarities to Norwegian, Swedish and Danish (which are quite similar to one another). I can't speak for Iceland though.

Icelandic has developed from the ancient Norwegian that the vikings spoke. To us Norwegians, Icelandic still sounds like the ancient viking language. If I read Icelandic, I can make out the meaning of a few words, but hearing it spoken I understand next to nothing.

Quoting TristarSteve (Reply 24):
In fact travelling HEL-ARN on AY recently I did not even show my passport to anyone, not even the AY staff.

According to the current EU rules, they are actually required to ask you for some form of ID-card both at check-in and boarding.
Top 10 airplanes: B737, T154, B747, IL96, T134, IL62, A320, MD80, B757, DC10

mika

Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:50 am

Quoting Palmjet (Reply 9):
Landside views from any of the terminals at CPH are practically non-existent. Don't even bother to go to the terminal for spotting or pics. Moreover, there are few shops or food places landside either. Everything is airside.

But then Airside viewing is pretty good (at least to my standards). I took the below photo from the lounge at second floor at CPH. There is plenty of very relaxed seating etc up there aswell, so if you have some airside time for spotting i think that this is the place to be. Then again i have been to CPH only two times.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...46868619/2110675550085023300eYUTsQ

andaman

Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:04 am

Quoting 797charter (Reply 32):
Summa767 (Reply 1):

Could be the WORST month to visit Nordic countries, talking about he weather  Smile I hope you visit here in summer too, very different then.

Quoting Sukhoi (Reply 16):

There is a minority population in Finland that have Swedish as there mother tongue and the population of Finland where forced to learn Swedish at school until recently. Street names in many cities have both Swedish and Finnish names like the airports in Finland have signs in three languages.

Sukhoi

Still all (practically) Finns learn the basics of the both official languages, Finnish and Swedish.

As Swedish is my first language, I'm only happy Swedish language is well protected in Finland. And I would dare to say the same with other minorities too, more or less.
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

prebennorholm

Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:24 am

Quoting Afay1 (Reply 5):

Afay, you are right. But there is also confusion about that in the Nordic countries, and in Scandinavia.

"Scandinavia" is originally the geografic name of the peninsula on which Norway and Sweden are placed. That should exclude Denmark from Scandinavia. But maybe we Danes are allowed to call ourselves Scandinavians because our country mostly consists of gravel delivered from the Scandinavian peninsula by glaciers during ancient glacial periods?

A more likely reason is that Denmark, Norway and Sweden more or less shares the same language, the mutual lingual differences being little more than for instance between UK and US English (and considerably less than London English and Scots English!!!)

Nordic countries are those countries which are taking part in a political cooperation thourgh the so called Nordic Council. They are the Scandinavian countries plus Finland, Iceland, Faeroe Islands, Greenland. I think that the Aaland Islands between Finland and Sweden also have their own representation at the Nordic Council.

And lately the Baltic countries, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania have become somehow associated to that cooperation. They may in a not too distant future end up as full members, if they want it so.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

jsnww81

Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:32 am

Thanks again for all your replies! This is why I love Airliners.net. Keep 'em coming!

Quoting RedChili (Reply 34):
Two hours should be enough, but it doesn't hurt to ask SAS at ARN if they can tag the bag through for you.

Do you think SAS will do this for me, even though the tickets are separate? It would be fantastic if they did... then I wouldn't have to leave security at CPH.

I'm really excited for this trip. The Scandinavian airports (HEL might not count as Scandinavian, but I'll throw it in there anyhow) all seem so sleek and modern, and full of airlines I've never seen before. I've been to LHR, FRA, AMS, CDG, MAD, MXP, ZRH, BRU, MAN, DUB and FCO, but never to any of the far north airports. I'm very psyched.  Smile

Quoting Flyboy_se (Reply 33):
I think you should have got a ticket from ARN to OSL on your way back and then fly with BA from OSL to LHR instead.then you could have visited Norway too.

I thought about going to OSL instead of HEL. I had a hard time finding good airfares, even on Norwegian. I've also heard that while all of Scandinavia is expensive, Norway really takes the cake. I do want to visit Oslo (and Bergen and Trondheim and Stavanger, etc.) someday, but I'll save it for another trip.

afay1

Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:37 am

Thanks! That was how I understood it; there are of course long-standing cultural and political implications to the application of geographic and linguistic terms. I have been in several of the countries in question (and have always had a genuinely great time, especially in winter, even in Kirkenes in Novemeber) as well as the Baltics and arctic Russia and have heard many conflicting things; which to the person saying them are perfectly valid and indisputable. Soooo live and let live, I guess!

Summa767

Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:42 am

Quoting Andaman (Reply 36):
Could be the WORST month to visit Nordic countries, talking about he weather I hope you visit here in summer too, very different then.

Actually, I misundertood the time to visit. I am now a fan of visiting thr Nordic countries in the Summer, but I am not sure if I would draw up the courage to go after mid-September, where the tropics are mo appealing  Smile

pwm2txlhopper

Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:31 pm

Quoting Jsnww81 (Reply 38):

I thought about going to OSL instead of HEL. I had a hard time finding good airfares, even on Norwegian. I've also heard that while all of Scandinavia is expensive, Norway really takes the cake. I do want to visit Oslo (and Bergen and Trondheim and Stavanger, etc.) someday, but I'll save it for another trip.

Norway doesn't just "take the cake" so to speak, but instead bends you over and downright rapes you when it comes to your wallet. When I was making a connection to TRD at OSL last year, I purchased two airliner magazines, a USA Today, and a bottle of Coke in the the airport store and forked over $35 USD! Sweden and Denmark are a little more afforable, but not by much. Nevertheless, Scandinavia is a wonderful place to visit. Enjoy the trip!

UpperDeck79

Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:51 pm

Quoting RedChili (Reply 34):
Back in school in Norway, I always learned that there are 52 United States of America. When I became a little bit wiser and learned that there are only 50 states,

I had this same experience... Was there something wrong in our books? Big grin (Where did you go to school, by the way?)

Quoting Prebennorholm (Reply 37):
"Scandinavia" is originally the geografic name of the peninsula on which Norway and Sweden are placed. That should exclude Denmark from Scandinavia.

True. But wouldn't it be funny that Scandinavian Airlines Systems would have there biggest hub outside of Scandinavia?  Wink
AY and ANA rock!

Joni

Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:50 pm

Quoting Afay1 (Reply 5):

As some posters have commented, Scandinavia is the peninsula that contains Sweden and Norway today. In this sense, Denmark wouldn't be a part of Scandinavia, however for historical and linguistic reasons they do consider themselves part since present-day Norway and southern Sweden used to be Danish.

Using a similar logic Finland could also be considered Scandinavian, since Sweden and Finland belonged to the same state for 700 years. However, Finns don't usually do this since they don't speak the Danish/Norwegian/Swedish language, and also culturally Finland is closer to e.g. Estonia and Germany than Sweden is.

WSOY

Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:38 pm

Quoting Joni (Reply 43):
and also culturally Finland is closer to e.g. Estonia and Germany than Sweden is.

I beg to differ. If you were flown around blindfolded, and then jumped with a parachute on the soil of any of those countries, I am certain 99% would not know the difference between Finland and Sweden before they saw e.g. streetsigns or heard people speak. And, "Germany" is not a cultural monolith, far from it, in fact.

On the naming business. People that say Iceland and Finland are not "Scandinavia" either need to reeducate about one billion-zillion English-speakers, or just accept the fact.
"Nukkuessa tulee nälkä" (Nipsu)

MMEPHX

Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:36 pm

Flew BHX-CPH on SAS a couple of weeks ago. Impressed with the service. A Q400, haven't had the opportunity on one of those beauties for a while. A mid morning flight with a typical scandanavian cold meat salad, warm rolls, huge slab of apple pie, Godiva chocolates and free booze! All very well presented in its own box. Way better than the dinner service on DL ATL-MAN the week before.

CPH is a great city, though that was August of course, not sure about November. Cold, wet and dark is probably in store for you. Recommend The Square hotel in Central CPH, though it depends on your budget. FYI...everything is expensive in Denmark. Watch out for the cyclists...they're everywhere.

jsnww81

Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:08 am

Quoting MMEPHX (Reply 45):
CPH is a great city, though that was August of course, not sure about November. Cold, wet and dark is probably in store for you. Recommend The Square hotel in Central CPH, though it depends on your budget.

Thanks for the recommendation. I haven't booked any of my hotels yet - I generally go for the two- or three-star range (I'm not too fancy, especially not for just a few nights.) I will probably be booking hotels next month, once I've paid for the CPH-HEL-ARN-CPH plane tickets. Location to me is most important - I like to be either near the train station (so I don't have to drag my luggage as far) or near a main street/public transportation. Fortunately, all three cities seem pretty compact, so I should have plenty of hotels to choose from.

afay1

Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:39 am

Here are some Copenhagen pics if u are interested: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ashfay/sets/72157594211093965/
(the first 2-3 are from approach to ZRH, and were misfiled, oops)

The airport Hilton at CPH is amazing and some good deals can be had on their website. I also stayed at the Quality Inn in Kastrup (the village near the airport) which turned out to be fine despite not being in CPH; it was still convenient for an early morning flight and near the beach (not so nice in November). Have fun!

Joni

Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:50 am

Quoting WSOY (Reply 44):
I beg to differ. If you were flown around blindfolded, and then jumped with a parachute on the soil of any of those countries, I am certain 99% would not know the difference between Finland and Sweden before they saw e.g. streetsigns or heard people speak.

Hi WSOY,

I didn't mean that Finland would be culturally closer to Germany than Sweden, but that Finland is closer to Germany than Sweden is.

DYflyer

Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:10 am

I guess one reason for Denmark being part of Scandinavia despite not being on the peninsula could be that we had a union for more than 400 years.
Life is like a book. If you don't travel, you only read one page.