Jkw777
Topic Author

Question: VS Or BA

Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:30 pm

Hi there.

I'm flying to LA in December and I'm in a bit of a predicament! It goes as follows:

BA LHR-LAX B744 £437 -

I've never flown with them over the pond before, I don't really collect FF miles with them but I've always said I'd like to try them one day.

VS LHR-LAX A346 £495 -

I've flown them a few times and I enjoy them. I collect their FF miles and also when I spend on my Amex (Which will be used to pay for the fare) I get double miles. So in totaly I'm looking at nearly 12,000 miles from this single transaction.

What would you do, given each circumstance. I'm kinda swinging towards the BA route, but at the same time I'd love to work my way to a different colour FF card at VS! Grrr... HELP!

Regards,
Justin  Smile
jkw6210@btopenworld.com or +447751242989

ozvirginuk

RE: Question: VS Or BA

Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:45 pm

Hey Jkw777,

Altho I work for VS, I think both VS and BA are great carriers. VS inflight entertainment is streets ahead though, with V-port AVOD system. And you'll be flying on an aircraft that is very new. A340-600 in most cases.

Also, Flying Club, VS's FFP is one of the most generous around. BA Exec club is pathetic, an nigh on impossible to move up the tiers unless you fly in Club.

I would take the VS option, but either way you'll probably have a good flight, so long as you dont fly with a US carrier.

Ozvirginuk

wrighbrothers

Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:54 pm

I'd personally go for BA, while the IFE is admittedly better on VS, I've heard their service can be on and off, now I'd choose BA because their service is usually consistent, to a high standard and mostly have professional crews, but this is my opinion , either-way, have a good flight

Wrighbrothers
Always stand up for what is right, even if it means standing alone..

MYT332

Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:34 am

I've never really seen what you see in VS and you know that. I've tried V:port, it was ok, and the flight in general was just ok, nothing to write about, hence why I never did.

BA then. Well, I've flown them many times and long haul in C as you know. Again, I really couldn't see what was so utterly great about them, even as I lay in a fully flat bed I thought it was fairly standard

However, If I was you I would go BA. Not only is it cheaper but I personally prefer the attitude at BA to VS. It's far more professional and not too personal like I observed at VS.

EK and EY. There you go. Only ever flown in Y but the service was excellent and I'd fly them over VS or BA longhaul I think.
One Life, Live it.

airxliban

Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:34 am

Mate you've lived in England all your life and haven't flown on BA yet go for it  Wink
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

HUYguy

Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:31 am

I'd go with the airline you haven't tried yet. Bit of variety.

BA787

Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:27 am

BA all the way. I haven't had the pleasure  sarcastic  of flying VS yet but BA has always worked for me. I'd also choose a 744 over an A346 any day, (A346 SCARE THE SHIT OUTTA ME, THEY'RE SO LONG). It won't matter either way but I find it slightly ironic that VS is so called affordable next to BA when they charger more  sarcastic 

Either way, it will be top class, depends whether you'd rather stare at old crows being nice, or fit young uns being useless, I'll let youy decide which airlines i'm referring to with each description

Big grin

Tom

Jkw777
Topic Author

Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:50 am

Thanks for all your input, I'm gonna snatch the BA deal and think with my head as opposed to my heart!  Smile

Regards,
Justin Big grin

fbgdavidson

Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:20 am

Economy on any airline rubbish!

Quoting Jkw777 (Thread starter):
What would you do, given each circumstance. I'm kinda swinging towards the BA route, but at the same time I'd love to work my way to a different colour FF card at VS! Grrr... HELP!

VS Gold has some alright perks, in line with BA Silver, although BA Silver is a hell of a lot more useful if you fly shorthaul. VS Silver however is pretty much useless.

Quoting Ozvirginuk (Reply 1):
VS inflight entertainment is streets ahead though, with V-port AVOD system. And you'll be flying on an aircraft that is very new.

Although I've heard the system is rather temperemental, and FWIW BA are introducing AVOD across the fleet. Justin will probably be lucky to get AVOD in December though...

Quoting Ozvirginuk (Reply 1):
I would take the VS option, but either way you'll probably have a good flight, so long as you dont fly with a US carrier.

True, although in my eyes flying Economy is all about optimising legroom and if you flew on United (via SFO) at least you could score E+.

Justin have you considered NZ? 34" pitch....
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

Jkw777
Topic Author

Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:34 am

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 8):
Economy on any airline rubbish!

Not everyone has (even if its not their own) wealth to spend on First Class tickets! Us riff-raff have to suffer economy from time to time...

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 8):
Justin have you considered NZ? 34" pitch....

Flight times are shite with NZ, I want to be in LA for a certain time and I'm on a tight schedule really!

Regards,
Justin  Smile

Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:17 pm

Quoting BA787 (Reply 6):
Either way, it will be top class, depends whether you'd rather stare at old crows being nice, or fit young uns being useless, I'll let youy decide which airlines i'm referring to with each description

There is a good mix of ages within the BA crew community you know! A hell of alot of crew are retiring from BA at the moment with over 30 years service and experience! It's a shame because these people are so interesting to talk to at work! They're bloody good at their jobs aswell. I for one will miss them.

BA787

Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:36 am

Quoting 74472 (Reply 10):
There is a good mix of ages within the BA crew community you know! A hell of alot of crew are retiring from BA at the moment with over 30 years service and experience! It's a shame because these people are so interesting to talk to at work! They're bloody good at their jobs aswell. I for one will miss them.

How do you know I was talking about BA? I could have being talking about VS. Don't assume. I kept the airlines to myself, I let you decide, to avoid controversy like you posted

Jkw777
Topic Author

Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:25 am

Hey there.

I went with my instincts and advice of fellow anetters. I'm flying with BA! I will obviously keep any opinions I may have formed until I've actually tried them!

A trip report will follow in due course, but you'll have to wait over 3 months!  Wink

Thanks for all your help.

Regards,
Justin Big grin