fspilot747

Will We Ever See Inflight Meals Again In The U.S.?

Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:35 am

What do you think? I for one liked the included inflight meals (in coach). I think it's outrageous that on a 5 to 6 hour transcon I get "savory mix" and two cokes. Bringing food on an airplane is an option, but how good is the pizza from the terminal after 3 hours in flight?

They may have tasted like TV dinners (some were actually quite good), but they kept the hunger pangs away on longer flights and, for one thing, kept people busy. The meal service was something to look forward to on a flight. Will I ever hear again,

"Omelette or Cereal?"
"Lasagna or the Burger?"

FSP

[Edited 2006-09-14 02:43:52]

JAFA

RE: Will We Ever See Inflight Meals Again In The U

Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:39 am

Anything is possible in this crazy business! But I highly doubt it. Airlines are responding to most customers demands for the absolute lowest price. While airline meals only cost a few dollars add that up times millions of people per year.

photopilot

Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:49 am

I've long ago given up on either seeing an inflight meal, or getting an edible one. So what I do is to buy a "Submarine Sandwich" (or whatever you call them locally) and as long as you hold off of the very liquid type sauces they stay fresh for hours. I've had many an envious glance as I pull the foot-long sandwich out of my carry-on and have a healthy meal while they survive on yet another pack of "pretzels" or some such junk. I think the airlines only give away the salted snack mix type stuff to try and increase drink sales which have a high profit margin.

BigGSFO

Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:50 am

Quoting JAFA (Reply 1):
Anything is possible in this crazy business! But I highly doubt it. Airlines are responding to most customers demands for the absolute lowest price. While airline meals only cost a few dollars add that up times millions of people per year.

I agree. With the exception of F/C class, complimentary meal service is most likely a thing of the past. Most passengers select flights based on cost, schedule, and loyalty program.

Personally I do not miss the in-flight meals. I'd rather eat in the terminal or bring something healthier with me.

united319

Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:52 am

I think that they will slowly come back in the industry. As we all know, 9/11 is what really put the end to inflight meals. I think that the only thing that can be done in order to bring back inflight meals would be demand or a new carrier bringing inflight meals and others will soon follow, take for instance the seatback tvs on US airlines. Correct me if im wrong, but I believe it was B6 that started this trend, soon after airlines like Frontier and Song (now delta) followed the trend. I surely hope that they come back. I know that first class meals have even gone down hill. United has changed the majority of their inflight domestic first class meals from a table cloth to a plastic tray to a paper liner. I have heard rumours that AA will be removing all ovens from their domestic aircraft. Which means that first class pax flying MIA-LAX will have a choice between a salad or sandwhich basically. US Airways wont give a meal in first class unless the flight is over 3-3.5 hrs, along with Delta. The only airline that seems to be continuing the highest inflight service is CO. They will give you actual food on a flight 2 hours and up. First class recieve a full hot meal service I belive 1.5 hrs and up. Alaska has downgraded, they no longer offer free inflight meals to economy class passengers, they switched to FFP. So enough rambling. Bottom line is SOMETHING HAS TO CHANGE THIS IS GETTING REDICULOUS!!!!
It's Time To Fly

roadrunner165

Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:58 am

I believe Sun Country serves hot meals on most all of its flights.

Adam

FWAERJ

Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:59 am

CO still offers meals at meal periods on longer (3+ hour) domestic flights.
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

skibum9

Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:59 am

Quoting United319 (Reply 4):
US Airways wont give a meal in first class unless the flight is over 3-3.5 hrs, along with Delta.

That's funny, I was on a DL flight today from BOS to CVG in FC and got a meal. That was a 1.75 hour flight.
Tailwinds!!!

globaldude

Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:03 am

CO offers food over 2hrs...for example-EWR-ATL-EWR gets a sandwich, chips and candy in coach, on flights that are at meal times

united319

Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:06 am

Quoting Skibum9 (Reply 7):
Quoting United319 (Reply 4):
US Airways wont give a meal in first class unless the flight is over 3-3.5 hrs, along with Delta.

That's funny, I was on a DL flight today from BOS to CVG in FC and got a meal. That was a 1.75 hour flight.

Economy Class
Less than 450 Miles (less than approx. 1.5 hours) One snack item available
Between 450 & 1550 Miles (approx. 1.5–3.5 hours) Choice of one item from Snack Basket
1550 Miles or More (approx. 3.5 hours or more) Snack and Choice of one item from Snack Basket

First Class
Less than 450 Miles (less than approx. 1.5 hours) Choice of items from Snack Basket
Between 450 & 1550 Miles (approx. 1.5–3.5 hours) Choice of items from Snack Basket
1550 Miles or More (approx. 3.5 hours or more) Choice of items from Snack Basket and
Complimentary meal service

http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...n/inflight_services/food/index.jsp

Im just repeating what delta says
It's Time To Fly

AeroWesty

Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:10 am

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 6):
CO still offers meals at meal periods on longer (3+ hour) domestic flights

From what's been discussed about this, it's not a "meal" in the traditional sense though, it's more like a small sandwich of some sort and a little bag of mini-carrots or chips. More than others offer for sure, but it shouldn't be confused with what we've traditionally known as "meal service".

Quoting FSPilot747 (Thread starter):
The meal service was something to look forward to on a flight. Will I ever hear again,

"Omelette or Cereal?"
"Lasagna or the Burger?"

With the trend to replace galleys with more seats, I doubt if we'll ever see a return to traditional meal service as we knew it in the main cabin. It was only a dozen years ago that you could count on a hot meal (not a sandwich, but a real meal) on United for flights as short as SFO-SEA during traditional mealtimes.
International Homo of Mystery

AirlineBrat

Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:23 am

I am more than happy to pay for a hot full meal in coach. Check out the onboard menu on Australia's Virgin Blue....
http://www.virginblue.com.au/flightI...n=Virgin%20Blue%20In-flight%20Menu

They even offer hot breakfast and dinners for $8.50 Australian. I would pay $10US for something comparable. But then the Aussies are a little more sophisticated than us Americans. We like our processed junk food with all those preservatives and trans-fats.
I'm leavin on a jet plane. Don't know when I'll be back again....

united319

Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:27 am

We shouldnt have to pay though. That is what is frustrating. I do understand why we pay, but still it is sad.
It's Time To Fly

floridaflyboy

Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:32 am

Quoting Photopilot (Reply 2):
I've long ago given up on either seeing an inflight meal, or getting an edible one. So what I do is to buy a "Submarine Sandwich" (or whatever you call them locally) and as long as you hold off of the very liquid type sauces they stay fresh for hours. I've had many an envious glance as I pull the foot-long sandwich out of my carry-on and have a healthy meal while they survive on yet another pack of "pretzels" or some such junk. I think the airlines only give away the salted snack mix type stuff to try and increase drink sales which have a high profit margin.

That's an awesome idea! I never even thought of sub sandwiches. Subway, here I come.
Good goes around!

Cubsrule

Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:39 am

Quoting United319 (Reply 12):
We shouldnt have to pay though. That is what is frustrating. I do understand why we pay, but still it is sad.

Why not? You gladly pay the lower fares. That doesn't come free.

And for the record, I think we are already beginning to see the resurgence of meals, but it's a slow process. The DL snack basket was arguably a competitve response to DH (who did the same thing), but it has stayed. NW is expanding food options in F while finding that the trail mix sells well in back. I would argue that getting rid of meals after 9/11 was, like a lot of actions in late 2001 and early 2002, a rather knee jerk response to a problem the airlines did not know how to deal with. As we move farther from 9/11, I would expect to see at least some tweaking of this, just as capacity is back to pre 9/11 levels and fares are inching upward again. Does that mean meals just like pre-9/11 again? Likely not, but there will be adjustments.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

phatfarmlines

Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:08 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 14):
The DL snack basket was arguably a competitve response to DH (who did the same thing), but it has stayed.

Actually B6 & WN offered snack boxes on their transcontinental flights prior to DH's start to the West Coast. On today's press release regarding DL's official announcement of the enhanced transcontinental service, it has stated buy-on-board service will return to coach for those flights only.

Cubsrule

Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:29 pm

Quoting Phatfarmlines (Reply 15):
Actually B6 & WN offered snack boxes on their transcontinental flights prior to DH's start to the West Coast.

I'm confused. To my knowledge, DH was the first to offer the snack basket on relatively short (<1000 miles) stage lengths. Is that not accurate? I don't believe WN has ever offered the basket on hops like MDW-HOU.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

HA_DC9

Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:36 pm

HA still offers full complimentary meal service on all mainland-Hawaii and trans-Pacific flights with the exception of late night/red-eye flights which get downgraded to a complimentary sandwich snack service.

jetdeltamsy

Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:40 pm

Who knows?

Meals were, for decades, served as a method of keeping passengers in their seats, not especially to meet their nutritional needs.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

symphonik

Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:15 pm

DEN + Concourse B + Quizno's + Seattle's Best coffee = the perfect inflight meal. Big grin

BigGSFO

Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:34 pm

Quoting Symphonik (Reply 19):
DEN + Concourse B + Quizno's + Seattle's Best coffee = the perfect inflight meal

My favorite is La Carreta at MIA outside E gates. Good stuff. That with a cafe con leche....

FlyDeltaJets87

Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:44 pm

DEN + Concourse B + Quizno's + Seattle's Best coffee = the perfect inflight meal.

ATL + Concourse B + Nathan's Hot Dogs = Best Inflight Meal.
ATL + Concourse A + Krystals Hamburgers = Not-so-pleasurable inflight experiences for you and everyone else on board. Big grin
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

AirlineBrat

Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:10 pm

ORD+hand carved roast beef sandwich+a Berghoff beer@Berghoff Cafe in Terminal 1=perfect layover bite to eat and beverage
I'm leavin on a jet plane. Don't know when I'll be back again....

lredlefsen

Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:17 pm

Quoting BigGSFO (Reply 3):
Personally I do not miss the in-flight meals. I'd rather eat in the terminal or bring something healthier with me.

Agreed! I've often wondered what the average traveller's weight and vocabulary would be if airlines in the 1950s and 1960s had decided to keep their passengers amused with, say, Scrabble, or crossword puzzles, or whatever, rather than in-flight meals.

Quoting BigGSFO (Reply 20):
My favorite is La Carreta at MIA outside E gates.

At MIA, check out the "Top of the Port" -- the restaurant at the top of the airport hotel. The entrance is near the Air Jamaica checkin counter (Concourse E?) -- take the elevator up to the 7th floor. They have decent food at fair prices, and actually quite a good wine selection -- but it'll cost more than Subway, of course.

UAPremierGuy

Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:29 pm

Seattle's Best coffee

My favorite is La Carreta at MIA outside E gates. Good stuff. That with a cafe con leche....

Okay, what about the new TSA regulations prohibiting liquids on-board conflicts with the above statements?! Further reason why a return to in-flight meals in Y-class is becoming increasingly necessary.
It's Time To Fly!

rdwootty

Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:36 pm

Interestingly you should see what we get on BAconnect.Just check the website and we can buy on board,,, Full breakfast with all the trimmings for just $8 a really good traditional afternoon tea.. Sandwich Scone jam and clotted cream with a drink for just $7.. I do not understand why the US carriers are so behind in giving the clients a chance to obtain a real meal at a fee . this not only makes money , occupies the FAs and gives service to the customer.. Maybe it is th FA's that do not want the bother??

UAPremierGuy

Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:40 pm

Quoting Rdwootty (Reply 25):
Maybe it is th FA's that do not want the bother??

Ding, ding, ding!
It's Time To Fly!

BigGSFO

Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:01 pm

Quoting UAPremierGuy (Reply 24):
Okay, what about the new TSA regulations prohibiting liquids on-board conflicts with the above statements?! Further reason why a return to in-flight meals in Y-class is becoming increasingly necessary.

Argh! Guess I'll have to woof this down prior to security from now on....

USADreamliner

Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:44 pm

It is funny, 20 years ago Aeroflot used to be one of the worst airlines in term of service and food.

This days, any SU domestic flight is a million times better than any american carrier!

www.airlinemeals.net

usadreamliner

wr70beh

Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:58 pm

Quoting UAPremierGuy (Reply 24):

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. Can you even bring food on the plane anymore from the outside? Even if you can you'll have to wait for the beverage cart to come around and that could take a little bit.

warreng24

Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:41 pm

Want a meal? Buy the BOB option.

Or, fly CO.

UAL777UK

Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:50 pm

I had a lovely meal on UA's PS service from SFO to JFK.

N1120A

Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:53 pm

CO still offers meals at meal periods on longer (3+ hour) domestic flights.

Their meal periods are quite short and don't characterize the meal times of a very healthy proportion of the population. Still, better than nothing.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 10):
It was only a dozen years ago that you could count on a hot meal (not a sandwich, but a real meal) on United for flights as short as SFO-SEA during traditional mealtimes.

I remember getting breakfast on SFO-LAX

Quoting AirlineBrat (Reply 11):
We like our processed junk food with all those preservatives and trans-fats.

Try United's Rightbite snack box. Healthy, mostly organic, free of excessive preservatives and no trans fat

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 16):
I'm confused. To my knowledge, DH was the first to offer the snack basket on relatively short (<1000 miles) stage lengths. Is that not accurate? I don't believe WN has ever offered the basket on hops like MDW-HOU.

I had a full snack box on LAS-MSY and got the basket on HOU-ELP and ELP-LAX

Seattle's Best coffee

Idiotic liquid rules

Quoting BigGSFO (Reply 27):
Argh! Guess I'll have to woof this down prior to security from now on....

You can buy it in the sterile area and drink it before getting on the plane

Quoting Wr70beh (Reply 29):
Can you even bring food on the plane anymore from the outside?

Yes you can, you just can't bring on a drink.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

n917me

Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:07 pm

I don't see "free meals" coming back. However one of the best BOB meals are from Midwest Airlines. Great food. Usually at least 3 choices. All the food is created by Maders (great MKE restaurant) chef Shawn Monroe. There was even a letter to the editior in T+L magazine bragging on how other airlines should take notice. If you fly YX, try one of the meals, or at least go on the website and see what the bi-monthly choices are. BTW, Chocolate Chip cookies are still free!!

Sample items from August:
Lunch:
Grilled Beef Teriyaki Salad with broccoli and mandarin oranges
Pesto Chicken and Grilled Andouille Sausage pizza
Tappas lunch

Dinner:
Sauteed Chicken Breast simmered in a sauce of Shiitake mushrooms, ginger, garlic and sherry with a touch of cream. erved with herb Parmesan orzo and juliene veggies.

[Edited 2006-09-14 14:13:53]

united319

Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:10 pm

No, I dont go for the lower fares, the only time i get cheap is when i decide to nonrev. But when im not non-reving I usually purchase a first class ticket just to get the meal service along with all the other perks. And I would take the increase in ticket prices for food gladly.
It's Time To Fly

WildcatYXU

Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:20 pm

I really don't understand this permanent talk about low fares, at least as flying within Canada is concerned. If you really need to get somewhere in time you've planned and you want such outrageous thing as an assigned seat, you better take the higher fares (AC). And those aren't low at all. My last YXU-YEG trip came to $ 1800.
310, 319, 320, 321, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, Saab 340, YAK40

MCOflyer

Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:22 pm

At MCO, I go to a Burger King and have a ham, egg, and cheese croissant with a OJ. If my segment is over 2hrs, I buy a sub for the flight.

On my recent CO flights, I got a strawberry muffin for breakfast and a cheese burger w/ salad for lunch.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

airbazar

Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:29 pm

Because it's tacky to charge someone $400 for a ticket then ask for an extra $10 for runny sandwich on stale bread, and it lowers "full service" carriers to the level of low cost carriers, and that's why the average passenger can't distinguish between a full service carrier and a low cost carrier. If the level of service onboard is the same, it's obvious the average person will fly with whichever airline offers the lowest fare.

Sooner or later the legacy carriers will have to bring the meals back because it's the only thing they have left that distinguishes them from the low cost carriers. Look at CO for a good example.

miaskies

Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:42 pm

Good Stuff! MIA is preety well stacked...

AA Concourse D "New Section" has some good Cafe's... Versailles (Miami Staple!), Chinese Cafe and Caribbean Cafe... good food! great cocktails at the Caribbean joint.

Outside of D their is also Cafe Bacardi! lots of rum and cokes a flowing...good bar food also.

So yea the plane food sucks now a days but no reason to go hungry prior to flying! just give yourself enough time... and enjoy your flight!
Nothing better than making love at 35K Feet!

chuchoteur

Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:12 pm

I do feel sorry for you guys over the pond...

One of my favourite flights here in Europe is flying BA, Manchester (MAN) to Gatwick (LGW) on their 737's, leaving MAN early morning (circa 0630).

Flight time of around 1 hour, and they manage to serve a hot full english breakfast to all pax on board.
Aside from the fact that it's nice to still be given something hot to munch at (keeps the pax busy), it has serious entertainment value.

Rotate, initial climb, and F/A's are already unbuckling and pushing the trolleys up the aisle...

Mind you you barely have time to eat the thing before they're round taking it off you... I've always wanted to film that flight!

bongo

Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:18 pm

Quoting FSPilot747 (Thread starter):
What do you think? I for one liked the included inflight meals (in coach). I think it's outrageous that on a 5 to 6 hour transcon I get "savory mix" and two cokes

What I personally think is that inflight meals aren´t that important anymore, most of the times it is better to have breakfast/lunch or meal at the destination or before the flight, I always think that it is like being in the office, you take the lunch and then work for 5 - 6 hours. In addition, inflight meals never are/were a "5 star" good meal.
MDE: First airport in the Americas visited by the A380!

georgiaame

Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:19 pm

As someone pointed out, flying 3-5 hours with nothing to nibble is not a pleasant experience.

You win customers by providing a service your competition either cannot or refuses to provide. That is what drives a market economy.

During the current downturn of the classically cyclical airline/transportation business, passengers were not given perks or even a semblance of decent service either on the ground or in the air, and therefore they opted to fly at the cheapest fare available. That is the invisible hand of enterprise at work. As fuel prices skyrocketed, services were further cut back, and real costs were absorbed rather than passed on. That is how Delta blew a couple of billion bucks and nearly wrecked their company. Well, things are getting better. Battered Delta is showing a meager profit, as is NW, if I'm not mistaken. Fuel prices are going lower. Airfares are generally going higher. As profit MARGINS rise, what is there for a Delta or a NW to do to lure a passenger away from say a Continental or an AirTran? The answer might be to provide a throwaway amenity kit, although I doubt it. Serve some decent food and raise everyone's fare an invisible $5 to cover the costs makes an awful lot of sense to me. (Although I am not an airline executive nor an economist.)

Capitalism works everywhere it is tried. So my crystal ball predicts that inflight meals will return, and sooner rather than later
"Trust, but verify!" An old Russian proverb, quoted often by a modern American hero

Qatara340

Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:19 pm

While I don't know about the US, here in the Gulf, a first class meal for a one hour flight or 45 minutes flight gets a gourmet meal, which choices, wine (if you drink), and dessert. Economy pax get sandwitches, desert, drinks (including tea and wine) on 45 minutes flights. For longer flights (1 hour and more) you get either sandwitches and sometimes large meal course.

Even on the DOH-BAH flight which is 20 minutes only, they serve sandwiches!
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

united319

Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:59 pm

Quoting Airbazar (Reply 37):
Because it's tacky to charge someone $400 for a ticket then ask for an extra $10 for runny sandwich on stale bread, and it lowers "full service" carriers to the level of low cost carriers, and that's why the average passenger can't distinguish between a full service carrier and a low cost carrier. If the level of service onboard is the same, it's obvious the average person will fly with whichever airline offers the lowest fare.

Amen!!! I dont know why people argue "well the food isnt that good anyway, I dont know why people argue that they should have inflight meals" Well the airlines should bring them back.

Quoting GeorgiaAME (Reply 41):
Serve some decent food and raise everyone's fare an invisible $5 to cover the costs makes an awful lot of sense to me. (Although I am not an airline executive nor an economist.)

I read that on avg. It costs an airline $3 for every inflight meal. I agree raise ticket prices $5-$10, it makes them some profit and it give people what they want. There is a difference in B.O.B and this method. I agree it is an insult to pay $400 for a ticket and then add on another five to ten dollars to purchase a box of packaged dry snacks.
It's Time To Fly

KATL757

Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:12 am

Quoting GeorgiaAME (Reply 41):
You win customers by providing a service your competition either cannot or refuses to provide. That is what drives a market economy.

checkmark 

On a side note. They should have a microwave or 2 on board. If inflight meals don't come back, I'd love the option of packing a lunch and being able to warm it up on a cross country flight.
Wherever you go, there you are.......

miaskies

Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:31 am

Quoting KATL757 (Reply 44):
On a side note. They should have a microwave or 2 on board. If inflight meals don't come back, I'd love the option of packing a lunch and being able to warm it up on a cross country flight.

Can I laugh now?!

Cmon! although a great idea... and I too love it! We do live in a post 911 World.. "Security Concern"! Explosive...
Nothing better than making love at 35K Feet!

letsgetwet

Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:36 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 10):
CO still offers meals at meal periods on longer (3+ hour) domestic flights

From what's been discussed about this, it's not a "meal" in the traditional sense though, it's more like a small sandwich of some sort and a little bag of mini-carrots or chips. More than others offer for sure, but it shouldn't be confused with what we've traditionally known as "meal service".

CO gives you a hot sandwich, or pizza plus chips and a small dessert such as a piece of chocolate or a cokie.

KATL757

Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:48 am

Quoting MIASkies (Reply 45):
Cmon! although a great idea... and I too love it! We do live in a post 911 World.. "Security Concern"! Explosive...

I'm laughing with you... and picturing the first person to warm up something still wrapped in aluminum foil and watching the FA's freak.
Wherever you go, there you are.......

jeffrey1970

Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:49 am

I highly doubt airlines will bring back complimentary meals again for domestic flights. However, I have always felt that since so many people say they hate airline food, that airlines should have buy on board meals. That way it keeps some of there cost down.
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

777way

Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:51 am

Quoting JAFA (Reply 1):
While airline meals only cost a few dollars add that up times millions of people per year.

As a matter of fact I read somewhere Delta saved $100,000 in a single year by removing just one Olive from each salad served in First Class, dont know how that adds up in Math but could be true.