For introduction, South East Asia is a region consists of eleven (11) countries which are, in alphabetical order; Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor Leste and Vietnam.
However, two of the countries which are Cambodia and Timor Leste, does not have any flag carrier. Royal Air Cambodge was out of business back in 2001 and Timor Leste is just a new country with very limited resources to start up their own flag carrier.
Nevertheless, the region was blessed with three world class carriers, which are Malaysia Airlines, Singapore Airlines and Thai Airways, two of which (MH and SQ) are Skytrax's 5 Star Carriers.
Ok, so here's the rules:
- Nine (9) countries will be participating, each will be represented by their flag carrier. Cambodia and Timor Leste won't be represented, hence only nine (9) contenders, instead of eleven (11).
- The pair will be based on the countries' name in alphabetical order.
- We are judging the carriers' current, standard livery, not special scheme.
- Since there are nine (9) contenders, one carrier will get a bye and with the power that I have (as the 'Organiser'), I will award it to MH. So, MH will be automatically proceed to Round 2 together with four (4) winners from Round 1. But there is a twist. In order to have six (6) carriers in Round 2, the loser with the highest vote in Round 1 will also advance to Round 2. So basically, the order will be, four (4) winners from Round 1, MH and the loser with the highest vote in Round 1 will advance to Round 2.
- From there, three (3) carriers will be chosen. But in order to have four (4) carriers in Round 3, the loser with the highest vote in Round 2 will also advance to Round 3.
- Round 3 will see four (4) carriers of which two (2) will advance to the Final Round.
- In the Final Round, one (1) carrier will be chosen as the ultimate winner.
Much said, here are the contenders:
Match 1: Royal Brunei Airlines vs Garuda Indonesia
Photo © Mark H
Photo © Christian Ettelt
Photo © Je89 W.
Photo © Jackson Qiu
Match 2: Lao Airlines vs Myanmar Airways International
Photo © Anthony Jackson
Photo © Wolfgang Hut - TCAS
Photo © Weimeng
Photo © JKSC
Match 3: Philippine Airlines vs Singapore Airlines
Photo © Mark Mahu
Photo © Je89 W.
Photo © JKSC
Photo © Jaco du Plessis
Match 4: Thai Airways vs Vietnam Airlines
Photo © Lasse Kaila
Photo © Marco Toso - SpotIT
Photo © Joel Vogt
Photo © Michael Dawson
Malaysia Airlines gets a bye and will automatically advance to Round 2, as the rules suggested.
Photo © Enrico Tietze
Photo © Fredrik Granberg
A loser with the highest vote in all matches in Round 1 (Match 1-4) will also advance to Round 2.
So, let the voting begin. Remember, we are looking for South East Asia's most beautiful head to tail livery
[Edited 2006-09-21 18:58:36]