SESGDL
Topic Author

Does Anyone Hate Any Airlines?

Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:20 am

I just wanted to know if there's any airline that anyone detests? For me, it's Northwest, I hate that airline with every fiber of my being. From their management to their tactics, to their service, livery, and fleet, I absolutely abhor Northwest Airlines. And living in Minnesota they're pretty much the only choice in many circumstances. Anyone else hate any airlines as much as I hate Northwest?

Jeremy

PlymSpotter

RE: Does Anyone Hate Any Airlines?

Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:47 am

To be honest I don't think I can think of any airline that I actually hate, there are several that are on my 'no fly list';

BMI Baby - generally did not enjoy my flights with them; dirty aircraft inside, very smelly, so would not fly again.
ThomsonFly - Would never ever, EVER! fly on one of their 767 aircraft again, 8 abreast is just too bad!
Iberia, would not fly them long haul on the A340, too little leg room

Still, I don't actually hate any of these carriers, I just wouldn't fly them again in a hurry in the above circumstances and for the stated reasons.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

AirWillie6475

Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:24 pm

I hate Southwest and everything it stands for. It has ruined a lot of good airlines and have brought a new meaning to the term air bus.

QXatFAT

Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:42 pm

Like PlymSpotter said, I dont hate airlines, just have some no fly airlines.

American Airlines I wont fly because the MD80's are deffinatly not my favorite bird. And anytime I would fly them, thats what I am flying.

Northwest Airlines I will not fly eather. Living in Michigan for 2 years of my life and only being around NW and their crappy service in DTW, just sets me off. I elected to use Indy as much as possible out of DTW but thats not an option anymore  Sad.

I am very pro HP/US. So on any of my flights to LAS out of FAT it is always with HP and not UAX or G4. Same with flying back to DTW I only fly useing HP and not NW out of SFO or UA, DL sometimes, CO, F9 and so on. HP/US is my first choice on all flying.
Don't Tread On Me!

57AZ

Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:57 pm

I don't have any that I hate but I won't patronize American as long as they're paying Crandall's pension. Not too hot about Agony Airlines in their latest reincarnation but will use them if necessary. Southwest-you get what you pay for. My few times flying with them were pleasant. Got me where I was going for a REASONABLE fare and on or ahead of the advertised arrival time to boot. As for airlines that Southwest has "ruined"-good. A company that cannot evolve to deal with the current business situation shouldn't be kept on life support. All that manages to do is hurt potentially viable airlines.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

ag92

Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:15 pm

IC - Their economy class is a joke and their business is just economy with wider seats, and maybe a tad bit better meal

mainMAN

Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:22 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 1):
BMI Baby - generally did not enjoy my flights with them; dirty aircraft inside, very smelly, so would not fly again.

Ha! I was about to say that bmi baby is not one of my favourites for the very same reasons.

I used them last in Aug 04 and noticed scruffy uniforms and a dirty cabin. I'm booked to use them again next month, so we shall see if anything's changed.

IDISA

Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:57 am

As other guys said here I too do not "hate" any airline, hate in my language is such a big word. Let's say there is some airline better not to fly anymore.

SAS on the European network (haven't flied any long-haul so couldn't judge in this matter), remained on ground 2 times due to overbooking and still they insist not to increase capacity on the MXP-CPH leg, still those old and almost non-pressurized M80-all-series... though I've flown many times M80s with AZ which too is a major M80 operator, anytime I came down from a SAS M80 seems like my ears are exploding...

Volare Airlines (the Italian charter airline), actually no more operating any flight. On long-haul charter are simply appalling. My FCO-HAV flight (11h and 40mins) has been one of my worst flight experience ever. After 5 hours in flight we were still waiting for any service to start and the main video screen (no PTV, of course), 4 hours after take off from FCO, still showed only the route map!

It's not that I won't fly these airlines anymore but I'd rather like to fly someone else, and that's all.

IDISA

united319

Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:55 am

Quoting AirWillie6475 (Reply 2):
I hate Southwest and everything it stands for. It has ruined a lot of good airlines and have brought a new meaning to the term air bus.

Enough said, I despise southwest airlines, they are greedy spineless dirtbags. And dont go off trying to defend them, this thread is about what airlines we hate, not "lets defend our airline". The only justification I will give toward my hatred, is numerous bad customer service experiences, low class, annoying company culture, no assigned seating, no premium cabin, bad marketing for instance they have a billboard at my airport that is titled "Floridaaah", what the hell does that mean?!?!?!? Oh and their colors are ugly too. They are a disgrace to this industry, and put good arilines out of business.
It's Time To Fly

MSYtristar

Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:56 am

Quoting United319 (Reply 8):
Enough said, I despise southwest airlines, they are greedy spineless dirtbags. And dont go off trying to defend them, this thread is about what airlines we hate, not "lets defend our airline". The only justification I will give toward my hatred, is numerous bad customer service experiences, low class, annoying company culture, no assigned seating, no premium cabin, bad marketing for instance they have a billboard at my airport that is titled "Floridaaah", what the hell does that mean?!?!?!? Oh and their colors are ugly too. They are a disgrace to this industry, and put good arilines out of business

So how do you really feel about them? Wow.

united319

Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:59 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 9):

So how do you really feel about them? Wow.

They need to be liquidated
It's Time To Fly

IAHFLYR

Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:23 am

Enough said, I despise southwest airlines,

Well put.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

PacNWjet

Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:38 am

I have to agree with AirWillie6475. Since I have never flown Southwest I can't say that I hate the airline, but I do hate what it stands for, namely, that the main criterion by which one should choose an airline is low fares. If people want to pay low air fares that is of course their prerogative. But the assumption that low airs fares is everyone's priority has created a situation in which virtually all air travelers have been forced to endure cattle car service even if they would be willing to pay more money for better service. Yes, there are ways to get into Business and First Class by using upgrades or paying more money, but the vast majority of seats on all airlines are in the Coach cabin, and thus absent frequent flyer miles or cold hard cash, everyone flying Coach must conform to the Southwest principle of no frills in return for low fares.

Or to put it succinctly, Southwest is principally responsible for the industry-wide race to the bottom. I hate that.

N231YE

Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:50 am

I try to stay away from carriers that outsource jobs, as well as ones that treat their labor bad.

AirWillie6475

Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:38 am

It's just sad what people put up with so they could save a few bucks. I guarantee you that Southwest does not have a market base like other airlines do because of customer loyalty. If they raised their fares like any other airline, not many would fly them. Let's see what happens when their fuel hedges run out.

deltagator

Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:54 am

Quoting N231YE (Reply 13):
I try to stay away from carriers that outsource jobs, as well as ones that treat their labor bad.

You don't fly much any more do you?  Wink

As others have said I don't hate any airlines per se but I sure don't like American Airlines. They lost my luggage three weeks in a row and blamed me once and called me a liar saying I only checked one bag even when I showed them two claim tickets.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

azza40

Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:19 am

All american carriers  Wink

Aaron  swirl 
Not been on here for a good 2/3 years!

N231YE

Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:44 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 15):
You don't fly much any more do you?

That's true. I like CO, because a very small portion of their maintenance is done outside of the border. B6 and WN have absolutely no USA maintenance, so I will not fly on them. And I refuse to speak to someone who can't speak English, thus I do not fly on US (and why I no longer buy Hewlett Packard brands).

Anyways, I can fly myself, If I feel like shelling out alot of money in Avgas (100LL). smile 

JBLUA320

Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:55 am

I try not to hate airlines but I can't help it when it comes to American. In the flights I've taken with them in the past, most recently just a month or so ago, they have consistently been rude, untimely and frankly, for the price, CO offers a much better product. I guess I've been spoiled by having Continental and jetBlue as my hometown carriers, but American disappoints me every time-- I've never felt "taken care of" and "in good hands" the way I feel when I board a jetBlue or Continental plane...

JHMO...

JBLU

JetBlueAUS

Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:03 am

I am not a Southwest fan at all. Infact - that's all we flew for awhile and I hated almost every experience. Now that a lot of airlines have brought their prices down, my family and I are loyal customers to JetBlue and Continental. However - I can't stand Southwest and I will do anything in my power to not book a ticket on them.
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

AirCop

Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:48 pm

Hum my worst airlines;
Eastern; oh yes out of business
Braniff, too texan, darn out of business
TWA, bad service once Ichan purchased them, on yes out of business
any one seeing a pattern here..
Currently;
Northwest; morally bankrupt company,

RJwrench85

Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:46 pm

Southwest (for explaination see above responses)
"Improvise, Adapt, Overcome"

QXatFAT

Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:22 pm

Quoting AirWillie6475 (Reply 14):
It's just sad what people put up with so they could save a few bucks. I guarantee you that Southwest does not have a market base like other airlines do because of customer loyalty. If they raised their fares like any other airline, not many would fly them. Let's see what happens when their fuel hedges run out.

Well based off of the show "Airline" I am kind of glad that they keep their prices down for those "weird" people. I would rather them fly on Southwest then them joining me on my HP/US or DL flights. Saves me the worrie headache. Thats the main reason I dont fly Southwest is the people that fly them. I have flown them 2 times. Once out of DTW and once out of ABQ and it was fine. But the selfish passangers on those flights that all run to the gate at the same time, the ones that stink like no other!, the ones that like to yell a lot, the ones that demand this and that, must I go on?
Don't Tread On Me!

united319

Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:12 pm

Look like we all have a consensus that southwest needs to go....
It's Time To Fly

ThePRGuy

Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:18 am

Alitalia for sure
Completely comedy - appaling customer service on both the ground and in the air. Rude staff left right and centre, and ageing (or at least feels it) Mad Dogs that flitter about all over the boot and internationally.
Needless to say I have 3 more flights scheduled with them so bring it on!
Thanks
PR
Heathrow has been described as the only building site to have its own airport.

COEWR737

Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:37 am

I completely agree with you. I hate Southwest for their low fares. I mean I like their show and stuff, but they completely destroy traditional airlines. Just wait until cell phones are allowed on all airliners. Next they will put in a bar running next to the ceiling where you can stand and hold on lol.
The Aviation Triangle: Pilot, Flight Attendant, and Aircraft Mechanic

FURUREFA

Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:48 am

Quoting AZ" class=quote target=_blank>57AZ (Reply 4):
I won't patronize American as long as they're paying Crandall's pension

Why do you hate Crandall?

AA has 100% of their mx in the United States.

I don't really hate any airlines, but I will not fly:
-AZ (Gross planes, crap and arrogant service and an awful product).
-B6 (Don't like Neelman and his and B6s arrogance).
-WN (not because i don't like them or agree with their philosophy, just not my kind of product).

Matt

united319

Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:47 am

Quoting COEWR737 (Reply 25):
completely agree with you. I hate Southwest for their low fares. I mean I like their show and stuff, but they completely destroy traditional airlines. Just wait until cell phones are allowed on all airliners. Next they will put in a bar running next to the ceiling where you can stand and hold on lol.

I find it very coincidental that when southwest came into the picture, deregulation also came into the picture not too long afterward. They took away class from the skies, and because of that the other airlines had no choice but to also do what they do....
It's Time To Fly

AlexPorter

Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:53 am

Quoting United319 (Reply 23):

No, we don't ALL have a consensus. What a horribly logically flawed sentence.

I've never flown Southwest (I'm from MSP) and I do find it horribly uninteresting when I ask my friends how they are flying home for whatever reason and the stock boring answer is always Southwest. BORING BORING BORING! Although airfares are slightly higher without them flying to MSP et al, I'm still glad that my lowest-fare option has allowed me to try a good variety of legacy and LCC airlines including Northwest, Delta, Continental, Sun Country, Frontier, and America West/US Airways (West ops), which is much more exciting than flying Southwest can ever be.

That said, I believe in free markets and I think Southwest has every right to do what it does. I mean, the darn thing has been profitable for what, 33 years now? They definitely deserve my congratulations as a business major. Also, hating an airline and wanting to see it liquidated are quite different. Keep in mind the millions (?) of people who can afford to fly because of Southwest. I'm not just talking about those weirdos that "shouldn't" be flying - I'm also talking about people who fly hundreds or thousands of miles to attend an out of state college, to see their relatives, to go on vacation, and so on. Not to mention all the people working for them who would otherwise be jobless. In my opinion, it is the legacy airlines' responsibility as businesses to compete profitably against whatever competition they may face.

Anyway, my answer to the question is Northwest. While I don't mind flying with them, that whole organization is just very messed up right now, and they are basically driving one of their own regionals out of business. Plus whenever I fly them it seems that no one on the entire plane is happy. On other airlines there's at least a passenger or a flight attendant somewhere who is enjoying the flight, and that doesn't seem to happen on NW.
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

AirPacific747

Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:29 am

Easyjet is not a bad airline when you compare what you pay versus what you get, but from the second I sat down in the seat, I was looking forward to getting out of the plane again already. Some very long two hours as I wasn't able to stretch my legs at all.

[Edited 2006-09-30 23:34:48]

A340600

Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:59 am

Ryanair- Takes the fun out of flying, as low as it gets

I didn't exactly rate IB either when I flew them and i'm not the biggest fan of "full frills" carriers without the frills of food/drink, really irritates me,

Sam
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

united319

Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:33 am

Quoting AlexPorter (Reply 28):
Quoting United319 (Reply 23):

No, we don't ALL have a consensus. What a horribly logically flawed sentence.

Excuse me, I will make sure that I go to you next time for a grammar check before I post something.

Quoting AlexPorter (Reply 28):
Also, hating an airline and wanting to see it liquidated are quite different.

I hate them and I want them to be liquidated, and dont even argue that their fares make it possible for people to fly. They are never the cheapest option when I go to book a ticket.
It's Time To Fly

flinhion757

Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:58 am

Quoting PacNWJet (Reply 12):
Since I have never flown Southwest I can't say that I hate the airline, but I do hate what it stands for, namely, that the main criterion by which one should choose an airline is low fares.

They have people that like like the airline because of the GR8 service and no cherge snacks and drinks... un like UA
319,320,332,732,733,735,737,738,744,752,763,CR7,CR9,E135,E140,E145,E175,MD82

united319

Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:17 am

Quoting Flinhion757 (Reply 32):
They have people that like like the airline because of the GR8 service and no cherge snacks and drinks... un like UA

First off, they do charge for alcoholic drings, and you would get the same thing on a shorthaul flight on UA, as you would southwest. And dont single UA out on charging for snacks, AA, NW, now AS, US, HP, DL is bringing it back, etc.
It's Time To Fly

AlexPorter

Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:37 am

The difference between UA and WN prices:

UA charges for snackboxes, while WN doesn't charge for them on the flights long enough to have them.

UA charges $5 for beer and cocktails in economy.
WN charges $3 for beer and $4 for cocktails.

UA has a larger drink selection but charges a little bit more.

And of course, soft drinks and non-alcoholic beverages are free on both.

By the way, I can't understand how anyone would want an airline liquidated unless they work for a competing airline, since liquidating an airline reduces competition directly leading to increased prices.

edit: to add the soft drink sentence.

[Edited 2006-10-01 02:39:52]

AirWillie6475

Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:52 am

Quoting AlexPorter (Reply 34):
UA charges for snackboxes, while WN doesn't charge for them on the flights long enough to have them.

Did you hear that everybody we should be thankful that WN doesn't charge for crackers. Golly Gee! Thanks Southwest! Happy day!

[Edited 2006-10-01 02:55:30]

Asturias

Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:19 am

Same here. There are no airlines I hate, but there are airlines I will not fly with.

Ryanair being the first among equals in the Western World. No thanks.

cheers

Asturias
Tonight we fly

nonfirm

Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:02 pm

I have no hate for any airline just my preference. And my preference is not to fly Southwest or Northwest. airplane 

EWRandMDW

Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:42 pm

I don't "hate" any airline, but there are those I won't use if I have the choice and certainly not if I'm paying:

AirTran because of lack of legroom,
Northwest because of seemingly never-ending labor-related flight delays (don't get me started on these!), and
ATA because they no longer go to EWR (I fly to NJ a lot for business and LGA is definitely NOT good for me).

united319

Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:07 pm

By the way, I can't understand how anyone would want an airline liquidated unless they work for a competing airline, since liquidating an airline reduces competition directly leading to increased prices.

The airline I work for does compete directly with southwest.
It's Time To Fly

united319

Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:11 pm

The difference between UA and WN prices:

UA has a larger drink selection but charges a little bit more.

And of course, soft drinks and non-alcoholic beverages are free on both.

I happily pay higher ticket prices to fly on an airline that has class and doesnt treat you like cattle...
It's Time To Fly

SKY1

Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:42 pm

Ryanair

Air Madrid

Air Plus Comet

All these 3 "airlines" are the worst, at least in Europe. Better to be forgotten.

Quoting United319 (Reply 40):
I happily pay higher ticket prices to fly on an airline that has class and doesnt treat you like cattle...

I do agree with you.
Time flies! Enjoy life!

FlySSC

Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:05 pm

Can you really talk about "hate" concerning an airline ?

However, there are some airlines I will NEVER fly and wish they'll go out of business soon :

Ryanair
Easy Jet
Southwest

And some airlines I've flown, but will never do it again :

Olympic Airways/Airlines or whatever name they can take
Spanair
Air Europa
American Airlines
Emirates

jm017

Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:46 pm

"Airbus?" From what i have heard, they have nothing on Ryannair.

One airline I have NEVER or WILL EVER fly is AmericanAirlines. The reason: their long history of predatory pricing practices and anti-competitive business tactics.
"It's okay to cheat, if you just really don't like to lose."

exFATboy

Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:28 pm

And dont go off trying to defend them, this thread is about what airlines we hate, not "lets defend our airline".

Pffftttt. If you're going to say you "hate" something for a poorly-argued reason, why shouldn't people defend them, or at least critique your hatred?

They are a disgrace to this industry, and put good airlines out of business.

They couldn't have been that good, or they wouldn't have gone out of business, eh?

Quoting PacNWJet (Reply 12):
...thus absent frequent flyer miles or cold hard cash, everyone flying Coach must conform to the Southwest principle of no frills in return for low fares.

Okay, I'm not going to defend Southwest specifically - I don't really like Southwest, and avoid flying on them, which, since they don't serve EWR, JFK, or LGA, is admittedly very easy for me to do.

However, some folks on this board seem to have the idea that before LCCs, coach was some paradise where you got fed peeled grapes while you were fanned with palm fronds and beautiful stewardesses (yes, in this fantasy world they'd still be called stewardesses) massaged your feet. I suspect that a lot of this comes from board members who are too young to actually have flown in the pre-deregulation/LCC era.

Wake-up call, folks. Domestic coach wasn't that different than it is today.

Other than (mostly bad) meals we all made fun of before they disappeared and dirty, tiny pillows, what are these "frills" you speak of?

Admittedly, flying may be less "civil" than it was back in the '50s and '60s, but so is society in general. And everything's a trade-off - we gave up what "frills" we had in coach in exchange for lower prices. In 1972, my grandparents paid almost $400 to fly me from San Francisco to Albany. That's in 1972 dollars, a sizeable chunk of change back then. How many people didn't get the opportunity to see loved ones or experience the joy of travel because of the artifically high price of air travel back then?

What happened was simply called "competition", as Southwest grew and new, well-capitalized entrants came in and upset the happy little apple cart that the airlines and their unions had, same as the Japanese did to Detroit. It's called "capitalism", folks.

----------
Okay, now on to the hatred.  Silly Never let it be said I don't at least try to get back on topic after a rant!

I actually do hate Southwest, just for other reasons: their artifical, gorge-raising "folksiness" and their astoundingly ugly livery - "let's pick the only shade of blue known to man that makes the retina shrivel and slap it all over our planes." And the whole seat-assignment thing.

I hate "bmibaby" because of the dumb-ass name. And "bmi" because of the lower-case stupidity and their jumping on the bandwagon of removing the word "British" from their name (e.g "BAE Systems" instead of "British Aerospace.")

I loathe any airline with the word "My" in their name, just on general principles.

And I hate Continental because I can't get a seat upgrade on a flight to Vegas later this month 'cause the first class cabin is too small and got all booked up!  Smile (Actually, I like CO, just kidding...)

uadc8contrail

Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:36 am

regardless if southwest is the anti christ of legacy carriers....they do have the highest paying jobs in the industry...
bus driver.......move that bus:)

united319

Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:18 am

Quoting Uadc8contrail (Reply 45):
they do have the highest paying jobs in the industry...

We pay higher than southwest starting....

Quoting ExFATboy (Reply 44):
Pffftttt. If you're going to say you "hate" something for a poorly-argued reason, why shouldn't people defend them, or at least critique your hatred?

Because this thread is about what airlines we hate, not lets defend the airline. And take the time to read the arguments as to why I dispise them, before you go off saying I have no argument.
It's Time To Fly

AlexPorter

Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:47 am

Quoting AirWillie6475 (Reply 35):
Did you hear that everybody we should be thankful that WN doesn't charge for crackers. Golly Gee! Thanks Southwest! Happy day!

Will you please SETTLE DOWN and not treat my comments with complete disdain? I'm trying to be factual here (and WN doesn't have crackers on the non-snackbox segments, they have peanuts or pretzels) and instead I get completely flamed just for giving a relatively neutral comment about WN instead of a completely negative one, and then for trying to post some factual information to clarify something. Grow up people.

coiah756ca

Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:26 am

Enough said, I despise southwest airlines, they are greedy spineless dirtbags. And dont go off trying to defend them, this thread is about what airlines we hate, not "lets defend our airline". The only justification I will give toward my hatred, is numerous bad customer service experiences, low class, annoying company culture, no assigned seating, no premium cabin, bad marketing for instance they have a billboard at my airport that is titled "Floridaaah", what the hell does that mean?!?!?!? Oh and their colors are ugly too. They are a disgrace to this industry, and put good arilines out of business.

I could not have said it any better. Southwest is the epitome of everything bad in an airline. Their service sucks, their colors suck, etc.

I fly for CO and I wouldn't mind seeing Southwest go up in flames.

Quoting Uadc8contrail (Reply 45):
regardless if southwest is the anti christ of legacy carriers....they do have the highest paying jobs in the industry...

Please don't rub it in. Thanks.
Long live Denver-STAPLETON. RIP the old and best KDEN

united319

Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:38 am

Quoting COIAH756CA (Reply 48):
they do have the highest paying jobs in the industry...

They dont have the highest starting wages for CSR positions...
It's Time To Fly