Anirudhvs
Topic Author

Virgin Atlantic Or British Airways?

Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:10 pm

Hi People!

If you had to fly long haul...which one would you choose and why? :
Virgin Atlantic Upper Class or British Airways Business Class?

Will wait for your replies
Thanks,
Anirudh..!!

Kevin777

RE: Virgin Atlantic Or British Airways?

Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:12 pm

Isn't this one for the poles section???...

Haven't flown either (YET..).. but probably Upper Class all other things equal.. between Upper Class and First the choice becomes much more difficult..

Kevin777
"I was waiting for you at DFW, but you must have been in LUV" CPH-HAM-CPH CR9

J41

Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:22 pm

I have flown both and prefer B.A.

I like the seats better, the food and the service. As I pay for my own fare's, I always find B.A cheaper.

Don't get me wrong, Virgin upper class is great but personally I prefer B.A.

J41

Ratypus

Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:17 pm

can't comment on the on-board product - anecdotally, Virgin is probably a bit more extravagant than BA Club World, as its 'upper class' and standing in for both business and first (though think BA First would trounce Upper Class) - if you're paying for yourself suggest you will get a better price on BA Business

However, another thing to consider is the back-up, schedules etc - I was booking to fly to the US and chose BA because they had a much more comprehensive schedule (including a Boston-LHR daylight flight: no point trying to pretend its an overnighter at barely over 6 hours long....) and because if a flight gets cancelled I know BA have about a zillion east coast-UK flights to put me on later!

Asturias

Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:14 am

Depends on whether you like to fly on three or four engines transatlantic Big grin

cheers

Asturias
Tonight we fly

BCAL

Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:51 am

For me it will always be BA Club World rather than VS Upper Class. BA is an airline that is formal and upmarket, has consistently high standards both on the ground and in the air, and where the F/As convey a professional and unobtrusive approach. VS is a brand (that happens to operate some aircraft) rather than an airline, that is loud, in your mouth and over-hyped, where standards of service are inconsistent, and where the F/As seem to be chosen for their looks and personality rather than their suitability for the job.

Whilst VS Upper Class might have marginally larger lie-flat seats and (on some but not all of their aircraft) 79.5” pitch and 22.0” width, as opposed to the standard 73.0” and 20.0” in Club World, and the edge in IFE (again in some but not all of their aircraft), remember that BA will soon be revealing their new Club World which will eventually be in all their long-haul aircraft. Neither the (possibility of) a larger lie-flat seat or (again the possibility of) extra pitch on VS is enough to persuade me to accept their inferior service.

The other deciding factor for me is BA’s frequency and back-up. For many of the destinations where they compete with VS, BA offers multiple frequencies of services, so they could probably get you on another of their services on the same day when things go wrong. As VS only has a daily (or even less frequent) service, chances are that you will be stranded for longer with limited back-up available.

[Edited 2006-10-18 18:23:08]
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

1stfl94

Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:53 am

Quoting BCAL (Reply 5):
Whilst VS Upper Class might have marginally larger lie-flat seats and (on some but not all of their aircraft)

The Upper Class Suites are now on ALL VS aircraft. Personally, aside from the Bar and Beauty treatments on VS Upper Class and Club World are very similar. I'd just go for the best deal to be quite honest

Anirudhvs
Topic Author

Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:42 am

Quoting Asturias (Reply 4):
Depends on whether you like to fly on three or four engines transatlantic

what do u mean by this...explain..!! thanks..anirudh..

Jkw777

Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:15 am

I would love to fly either Business Class product, so if someone has some spare cash laying around...  Wink

They both look like fantastic products though!

Regards,
Justin Big grin
jkw6210@btopenworld.com or +447751242989

LH423

Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:46 am

Quoting Anirudhvs (Reply 7):

I believe he was referring to the much-publicized incident where a BA 747 took off from LAX and during climb-out had an engine failure. Upon conferring with London ops the pilots decided to continue on to LHR rather than return to LAX. The plane eventually had to make a refuelling stop at MAN because of the lower altitudes and slower flying speeds. Incidentally, the same aircraft had ANOTHER engine failure, this time on SIN-LHR but was able to make it to LHR without problem since this occurred much later into the flight.

It wouldn't be fair for me to make a comparison since I haven't flown in Upper Class but I would say that Club World is a hard product to beat and it will only get tougher when the new seat débuts later this year.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Asturias

Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:29 am

Quoting Anirudhvs (Reply 7):

Quoting LH423 (Reply 9):
I believe he was referring to the much-publicized incident where a BA 747 took off from LAX and during climb-out had an engine failure.

That's right

I was being mildly sarcastic.  Wink

cheers

Asturias
Tonight we fly

vhqpa

Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:55 am

if both a BA clubworld ticket and a VS upper class ticket fell from the sky with a note attached reading "TAKE ONE ONLY!!!" i'd take the BA ticket
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

LTU932

Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:51 pm

Having flown neither BA nor VS at all, I tend to go with BA Club World.

Garri767

Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:36 pm

it really comes down to the atmosphere. if you prefer professional, and more of a business feeling to things, go with B.A . If you want a relaxed , laid back atmosphere, go V.A

and like someone else said, 3 or 4 engines  Wink
Two wrongs may not make a right, but three lefts do!