TimePilot
Topic Author

Do Customers Complain About Bumpy Landings/flights

Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:39 am

I was talking to a science teacher at school here the other day, and he said some folks used to call into the TV stations and complain when the weather forecasts were wrong (such is Japan.)

That got me to thinking, do people ever call up airlines (or go to the desks, whatever) and complain if they've had a bumpy landing or flight? Pilots: have you had anyone after a flight come up and complain? Flight attendants: have you had anyone complain to you?

I've heard of people complaining about uncomfortable seats at movie theaters and getting free tickets, so I'm wondering about the airlines. A plane ticket is anywhere from what, $80 up? A movie ticket is only around $10 ... somehow I doubt an airline will give you free tickets if you complain about their seats  Silly

ZBBYLW

RE: Do Customers Complain About Bumpy Landings/fli

Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:05 am

I would certainly hope not. The weather is something that an airline has to live with. Having alot of terbulance in flight is part of the game when you fly in an airplane. As for the landings, i would hope not as well. Mainly because there are many variables in a landing such as windspeed, aircraft (some it is hard to do a decent job landing, MU-2s come to mind) and other various weather situations. As far as I am concerned you payed the money if it was an unavoidable cersomstance, and you arrive at your destination. The airline has fullfiled their part of the contract.

Cheers Chris
Keep the shinny side up!

PureKiwi

Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:10 pm

I've seen passengers complain several times landing at WLG, some of those X-wind landings can be pretty scary and when they use the reversers on 737's it looks like part of the engine cowling fell off.

ZKSUJ

Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:18 pm

I've heard of people complaining. I even heard a story of some Jap tourists yelling at an ANZ ATR 72 pilot after the flight to queenstown was turbulent and bumpy.

Its not the pilots fault, there is only so much you can do to control the rate of descent/sink on the flare before touchdown. And as for the weather, who the heck would you blame and why.

TimePilot
Topic Author

Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:22 pm

I think you mean "Japanese" tourists  Yeah sure

Customer is king here in Japan, so lots of Japanese will complain about things that people from other countries wouldn't even bother with. Trains being late, the weather, etc.

andz

Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:31 am

What was that story about the really hard landing, then when the passengers were getting off the Captain was standing at the flight deck door and an old lady asked him "Sonny, did we land or were we shot down?"  Smile
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

KalsinBay

Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:29 am

As long as the airplane lands safely, I am happy.

thepilot

Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:53 am

Recently in ORD, we touched down rather rough and as we were walking past the flight deck, the guy in front of me said, "I would have helped if you put it down a little smoother." He said it with quite a scowl. Go figure.
From YVR

bwohlgemuth

Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:27 am

How about for a damn good reason...

Flying DEN-ORD, my United flight had a do a missed approach since the plane in front of us took too long to get off the runway.

no one complained...  Smile

nkops

Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:31 am

I've heard people complain as we were deplaning them about bumpy flights, but I think most pax understand why, especially when they land and it's really windy and raining. I can only remember one time when a pax was mad and thought the crew did it on purpose...
:evil:

Bridogger6

Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:35 pm

I had a passenger come all the way down to the ticket counter after me once about a bumpy flight. He said the pilots must have been drunk and clearly did not know what they were doing because this passenger had never feared for his life so much. He'd also been in the military and had some crazy landings and said that nothing compared to his horrible landing into Phoenix. The real thing he was mad about (US almost supposedly killing him was a sidenote) was his misconnection due to storms in the area. HM... wonder why it was bumpy. That's really quite typical when you fly into Phoenix during the summer, thunderstorms or not, it's going to be quite bumpy. Phoenecians (sp?) are used to it.

I also once had a customer come up, he wasn't even flying he just wanted someone to listen to his story. His wife and daughter were flying to some small east coast city on an RJ of some sort and there was bad weather and the wife and daughter apparently though they were going to die (it was later revealed that they were nervous flyers to begin with). Anyway, just listening made the gentleman very happy. He actually e-mails me every now and then to this day... yes, we exchanged e-mails we had a good long chat.. haha...

But yeah, people won't usually bring up the bumpiness of flights with CSA's unless they're there to complain about something else. If a flight was really bumpy you'll just kind of catch passengers talking about it with their friends and family as they deplane. It's not too commonly complained about as a MAIN issue.

FlySSC

Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:09 pm

Just a few months ago, right after take off from ORD (A340), a F/A came to me and said : "There is one furious Passenger in the seat XXX". She wants to talk to the Purser RIGHT NOW" !
She was seating in the first rows of Y just before the wings.
So I went .... and she said : " This is unbelievable !!! God ! what is that noise ? Make it stop right now ! " She was talking about the engines ...  rotfl 

I just said : "I can go and talk to the Captain but I know him well and I am affraid he won't agree because that's the engine noise, Madame, and to be honnest, if I was you, I would rather pray for them not to stop before we land in Paris ...".

wilco737

Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:34 pm

Hello guys,

well, after a hard landing or a not so smooth landing, I once stood at the door, saying goodbye to the passengers and many of them said:

"try harder the next time"
"keep on practicing"
"are you sure you are allowed to fly?"

and so on and so on...

Never heard any complains about turbulence! most of the passengers are just happy to be back on the ground then  Wink

WILCO737
 airplane 

Blackbird07

Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:23 am

I've been on a number of nasty flights where passengers get horribly snarky with the pilots after the landing. I think it's rude. They safely toted your bums around and they aren't God, afterall. Can't exactly push a nasty cumulo-nimbus out of the way on a whim or make the rain stop.

If the flight was particularly "bad", I congratulate the pilots on a job well done. Flying my little Cirrus around in windy weather was bothersome enough, I've not a clue what it would be like to fly a giant beast with 100+ souls aboard in less than favourable weather.

I tend to have bad luck and catch rough flights more often than not, or fly rough routes, so I've heard my share of crew-chewing-out.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward..."

TimePilot
Topic Author

Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:35 am

I've seen some shifty approaches into ORD on JAL (with heavy winds and all that), and I really have to hand it to the pilots. If I was at the controls, we'd all have had to be fitting for wings & a halo.

Next time if a PX complains, just tell them: "Hey- anytime YOU come up here and land this thing, you're more than welcome."