JAM747
Topic Author

What Are The Most Famous Feats Of Airmanship

Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:03 pm

What are the most famous feats or acts of skilled airmanship? I know sometimes there have even been awards given to pilots for displaying amazing acts or airmanship which saved lives during emergencies. Can anyone share any info on some of these circumstances ? Maybe someone on here actually experienced one of these.

N1120A

RE: What Are The Most Famous Feats Of Airmanship

Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:18 pm

Well, here are 3 to start.

1. Gimli Glider
2. United 232 at SUX
3. Dash 80 barrel roll.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

ZBBYLW

Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:24 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 1):
1. Gimli Glider
2. United 232 at SUX
3. Dash 80 barrel roll

While I am fimilar with the first two selections, does anyone know about this barrel roll? Also the Air Transat 332 that landed in the Azores.
Keep the shinny side up!

N1120A

Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:39 pm

Quoting ZBBYLW (Reply 2):
While I am fimilar with the first two selections, does anyone know about this barrel roll? Also the Air Transat 332 that landed in the Azores.

I didn't count the Transat flight because it was easier to get the aircraft down than it was in Gimli, which relied on the pilot's experience with gliders to slow down and lose altitude.

The barrel roll is quite famous in that it was done by Boeing's chief test pilot and was what really got airline executives interested in switching to jets.

kc135topboom

Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:17 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 3):
The barrel roll is quite famous in that it was done by Boeing's chief test pilot and was what really got airline executives interested in switching to jets.

It was over a boating event near Seattle in 1955. Tex Johnson was the pilot of the, then experimential B-367-80, the prototype for the B-707, B-720, and KC-135. The barrel roll is on film, and it was very impressive to Gen. Curt LeMay, the former CINCSAC and (at the time) AFCOS. He ordered the first 17 KC-135s the next day. Both PA and AA officials also ordered the B-707, within a few weeks, but wanted a wider body then the B-367 had (it could only fit 5 across seating, and AA & PA wanted 6 across).

I might add the Concord EIS as a significant event in airline passenger service, along with the Comet I EIS (although because of the loss of some early BOAC Comets, the B-707 later overshadowed the Comet, which never really recovered).

ZKSUJ

Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:29 pm

-The Transat 330 Gliding incident
-BA009 the 742 with all engines out
-The UA 742 from HNL-AKL where part of the fuselage broke off in flight

N1120A

Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:39 pm

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 5):
-The UA 742 from HNL-AKL where part of the fuselage broke off in flight

Along the same vein, the Aloha 732 that lost 20 feet of its fuselage and had to do a heavy landing in Maui.

sean1234

Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:48 pm

Gimli Glider is one of the worst for pilot error too.

N1120A

Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:50 pm

Quoting Sean1234 (Reply 7):
Gimli Glider is one of the worst for pilot error too.

Actually, the main error was with maintainance and the aircraft itself, which had a malfunctioning fuel system. The pilots were new to the type and did not realize that it calculated in metric and not in imperial. The aircraft should have either been pulled from service or the mechanics on the ground should have known to double the amount of fuel they calculated to put on board.

saintsman

Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:01 pm

Perhaps not as well known as he might be, Alan Cobham was one of the world's aviation pioneers.

http://www.cobham.com/index.asp?pageID=27&menuID=2_1_3

After his flight to and from Australia, one million people lined the banks of the River Thames to witness his return!

Curmudgeon

Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:13 pm

The pilots knew it was in metric, but the charts for the dipsticks were in pounds. they had to convert to KG, then to litres uplift required using an all-in-one chart that was poorly designed. There were schedule pressures as well. This accident wasn't a pilot error lesson, it was a systems/organisation/human error cautionary tale. The energy management skills of the crew, and the great good luck in not running out of fuel five minutes earlier kept them out of the obituaries.

The Azores Air Transat dead stick was cut from the same cloth...but perhaps bad judgement saved by great stick 'n' rudder.

I wonder what the state of ETOPS would be today if either of those twins had crashed?
Jets are for kids

ONTFlyer

Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:21 pm

Charles Lindbergh
Amelia Earhart
Voyager
PAL 434
Doin' just fine thanks...

N1120A

Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:34 pm

Quoting Curmudgeon (Reply 10):
The Azores Air Transat dead stick was cut from the same cloth...but perhaps bad judgement saved by great stick 'n' rudder.

I wonder what the state of ETOPS would be today if either of those twins had crashed?

The Azores A330 incident happened well after ETOPS had been developed. ETOPS 207 was already in existance at that point. Further, a quad would have faced the same problems.

WesternA318

Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:39 pm

How about Howard Hughes' acheivements back in the day??
Check out my blog at fl310travel.blogspot.com!

BreninTW

Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:43 pm

The Azores Air Transat dead stick was cut from the same cloth

Wasn't the problem with the Transat A330 a fuel leak -- not a miscalculated fuel load? I remember watching a Nat. Geo. program about this incident wherein it was stated that one of the fuel lines fractured and leaked. One of the results of this incident is that pilots are now warned by the computers if the fuel is being consumed at a rate greater than what the engines are capable of.

Curmudgeon

Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:49 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 12):
The Azores A330 incident happened well after ETOPS had been developed. ETOPS 207 was already in existance at that point. Further, a quad would have faced the same problems.

All true. How would any of that change the possibility that regulators would have had to bow to the vox populi and re-visit ETOPS if an airliner ended up in the water? If the laws didn't change, public perception would have and four engines would have become a sales tool.

The fact that the crew weren't in a quad is kind of a pivotal fact, and any post ditching claims that a 340 would have been at equal risk would have probably missed the point with the travelling public somewhat.
Jets are for kids

Pihero

Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:49 pm

A remark that is worthy of a RU award !
The Air Transat would have gone down into some of the deepest seas in the Atlantic. Recovering the wreckage would have been at the very least a long process and long ETOPS could have been affected.
here is , from answers.com a summary of the incident which gets my vote :
22 November 2003: European Air Transport SA)">OO-DLL, operating on behalf of DHL, was hit by an SA-7 'Grail' missile after take-off from Baghdad International Airport. The aeroplane rapidly lost all hydraulic pressure and thus controls. The crew found that after extending the landing gear to create more drag, they could pilot the plane using differences in engine thrust and managed to land the plane with minimal further damage. The plane was later repaired and offered for sale
It gets my vote because knowing that they were too high for an immediate landing, the crew, very coolly, elected to fly a large orbit to come into final, knowing that the fire was raging in the wing and they ran the risk of losing it altogether.
As a last remark, journals of the 2nd WW are full of these stories.
Contrail designer

Hardkor

Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:51 pm

How about the BAE 111 that depressurized mid-flight over England due to an improperly installed windshield? The most impressive part of that safe landing was that the co-pilot had to work while the pilot was half-sucked out of the cockpit, and survived!
Great example of Piloting skills,
Hardkor

Curmudgeon

Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:56 pm

Quoting Pihero (Reply 16):
remark that is worthy of a RU award

Merci beaucoup, Pihero. You are going on mine too, for past posts.
Jets are for kids

N1120A

Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:57 pm

Quoting Brenintw (Reply 14):

Wasn't the problem with the Transat A330 a fuel leak -- not a miscalculated fuel load? I remember watching a Nat. Geo. program about this incident wherein it was stated that one of the fuel lines fractured and leaked.

Gimili was a miscalculated load, Transat was indeed a fuel leak

Quoting Curmudgeon (Reply 15):
All true. How would any of that change the possibility that regulators would have had to bow to the vox populi and re-visit ETOPS if an airliner ended up in the water? If the laws didn't change, public perception would have and four engines would have become a sales tool.

The fact that the crew weren't in a quad is kind of a pivotal fact, and any post ditching claims that a 340 would have been at equal risk would have probably missed the point with the travelling public somewhat.

It was a fuel leak. The general public doesn't give a flying funk about flying a twin or a quad, despite what Virgin Atlantic and Airbus would like you to believe. If that aircraft ended up in the water, it would have been no different than if a leaking quad had ended up in the water.

Curmudgeon

Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:06 pm

Also, Apollo 13. In fact, all the manned space missions, of any nationality.

I have a story about a crew that saved an Electra in Canada back in the 80's:

As I understand it, they were westbound near CYQT when the #1 prop shed a blade. The blade speared the #2 prop shaft, severing the #2 prop, which then spun down the side of the fuselage, puncturing it in several places, finally clipping the top six inches or so of the fin for good measure.

The crew were presented with end-of-the-world vibration, power loss of #1 and #2, decompression and a general feeling of discontent. After they got squared away they managed a diversion to YQT, where, somewhere on final approach, they struck a Canada goose in the captain's windscreen, shattering it. They landed without, as they say, further incident. I think that's a good tale of airmanship (or enlightened self-interest), and I sometimes wonder how often that story's been told in bars.

Cheers

Cur.
Jets are for kids

Pihero

Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:10 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 19):
If that aircraft ended up in the water, it would have been no different than if a leaking quad had ended up in the water.

Curmudgeon and I are not discussing the merits of ETOPS, but the fact that without the knowledge of what happened on that flight (as the wreckage would not have been available soon), it would have been listed as double engine failure, therefore posing a big question on twins over water.
Contrail designer

WesternA318

Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:11 pm

Now THATS one for the logbooks!
Check out my blog at fl310travel.blogspot.com!

Pihero

Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:12 pm

(Deleted double post)

[Edited 2006-11-21 10:14:23]
Contrail designer

N1120A

Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:13 pm

Quoting Pihero (Reply 21):
Curmudgeon and I are not discussing the merits of ETOPS, but the fact that without the knowledge of what happened on that flight (as the wreckage would not have been available soon), it would have been listed as double engine failure, therefore posing a big question on twins over water.

As opposed to a quadruple engine failure had an A340 or 747 been involved? Again, the general public wouldn't have cared one way or another how many engines the aircraft had, rather they would have wondered why it ran out of fuel and would have likely blamed the airline more than the manufacturer or the number of engines.

Pihero

Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:17 pm

N1120A,
I agree that the public would not have cared. Probably. The newspapers might.
And surely the certifying authorities, hence those remarks.
Once again, we are not discussing the merits of twins or quads here.
Contrail designer

N1120A

Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:22 pm

Quoting Pihero (Reply 25):
I agree that the public would not have cared. Probably. The newspapers might.
And surely the certifying authorities, hence those remarks.
Once again, we are not discussing the merits of twins or quads here.

I wasn't the one to take this off topic. The assertion that a crash due to fuel leak would have caused problems with certifying authorities is absolutely ridiculous.

Pihero

Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:32 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 26):
The assertion that a crash due to fuel leak would have caused problems with certifying authorities is absolutely ridiculous.

And without the wreckage, how would you have known it was fuel starvation ?
I could hear the A bashers claiming yet another cover-up.
Do you ever listen or read others' posts before you write or are you naturally close-minded ?
Contrail designer

jonathan-l

Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:36 pm

DHL A300B4 landing in Baghdad after being hit by a missile

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20031122-0&lang=en

keego

Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:20 pm

What about the hijacked Ghana Air 767 (I think it was Ghana) The pilot landed it in the drink just by a beach. It was his 3rd hijacking and despite many dead in the accident his piloting skills managed to save the lives of many more.

Curmudgeon

Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:36 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 26):
I wasn't the one to take this off topic. The assertion that a crash due to fuel leak would have caused problems with certifying authorities is absolutely ridiculous.

Well, I stand corrected then. Because it's been years since I dealt with a certificating authority or worked in flight test I'll have to take your word for it. And I apologise for my aside speculating on the ramifications of an accident involving a ditching. What the hell was I thinking? Wink
Jets are for kids

EWRandMDW

Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:46 pm

Back in the mid 1960s a TWA B707 from California to New York City collided mid-air over Westchester County, NY with an Eastern L1049 Constellation flying from Boston to Newark. The 707 lost its wing from the outboard engine, but the pilots managed a safe landing at JFK with no injuries. The Connie essentially lost its vertical fins. Its pilots managed to bring the plane down to a wheels-up landing in a field where it broke apart and caught fire after hitting a small tree. Nonetheless, only one passenger died as did the pilot-in-command who died going back into the cabin to make sure everyone who could get out did. I believe that pilot had an award posthumously named after him which was presented to airline pilots demonstrating the highest order of airmanship.

I recall reading that this accident shouldn't have happened. The planes were separated by an adequate amount both vertically and horizontally, but an optical illusion convinced both crews they were on a collision course and they both took what they thought was evasive action, but which in reality caused the mid-air they were trying to avoid.

NAV20

Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:52 pm

I reckon that the achievement of Alcock and Brown (first nonstop crossing of the Atlantic, in a Vickers Vimy bomber in 1919) takes some beating. It's not commonly known that Alcock did all the piloting, Brown being a navigator only. Though, judging from this, it's just as well that Brown was along  Smile:-

"The flight nearly ended in disaster several times owing to engine trouble, fog, snow and ice. It was only saved by Brown's continual climbing out on the wings to remove ice from the engine air intakes and by Alcock's excellent piloting despite extremely poor visibility at times and even snow filling the open cockpit. The aircraft was badly damaged upon arrival due to the attempt to land in what appeared from the air to be a suitable green field but which turned out to be a bog, but neither of the airmen was hurt."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcock_and_Brown
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

sprout5199

Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:15 pm

Wright Bros. first powered flight
Charles Lindberg's flight across the Atlantic
Chuck Yeager's supersonic flight
Apollo 13's return to earth(spacemansship?)
Dick Rutan and Jeana Yeager's unrefueled around the world flight
Ual flight 232

Dan in Jupiter

TPAnx

Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:28 pm

Surprised that no one's mentioned the DC-10 crash out in the midwest. Plane lost all hydraulics..crew made it to the airport using only the engines to steer..and while there were deaths...there were many survivors..including the three crew members who were found in the plane's avionics bay. I've read that the airline has put all its crews through that situation in simulators..and that none has been sucessful...including the crew that did it in real life.
To me, that's airmanship...

TPAnx
I read the news today..oh boy

SailorOrion

Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:35 pm

Quoting TPAnx (Reply 34):
Surprised that no one's mentioned the DC-10 crash out in the midwest.

That WAS UA232, mentioned a couple of times already...

SailorOrion

yhz78

Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:50 pm

Quoting Keego (Reply 29):
What about the hijacked Ghana Air 767 (I think it was Ghana) The pilot landed it in the drink just by a beach. It was his 3rd hijacking and despite many dead in the accident his piloting skills managed to save the lives of many more.

That was actually an Egypt Air flight.
Also, in reference to the ETOPS the Gimli Glider happened over the middle of the continent, how should that affect ETOPS at all?
Canada Rocks! From the west coast to the best coast!

CM767

Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:00 pm

What about the TA pilots with a double flame out on a 737, they had to land plane on a levy. It was on New Orleans, no major damage to the plane nor injury to the passengers.
But The Best Thing God Has Created Is A New Day

JAM747
Topic Author

Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:06 pm

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 32):
I reckon that the achievement of Alcock and Brown (first nonstop crossing of the Atlantic, in a Vickers Vimy bomber in 1919) takes some beating. It's not commonly known that Alcock did all the piloting, Brown being a navigator only. Though, judging from this, it's just as well that Brown was along :-

Thanks for this info . I did not hear of this before and always though that charles Linbergh was to first to cross the Atlantic non stop. I wonder why this has not recieved the attention it deserves? This was really an outstanding act of airmanship. Thanks again.

ltbewr

Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:24 pm

I think we should stick to airline operations of the post WWII era here as to the point of these posts. There should be some record of their acts. Sometime, there is some fortunate coincidences in several of the above noted situations
UA 232 to me would be among the ''most famous". Fortunatally, there was a UA flight instructor on the flight, in addition to the regular crew who was a very important factor in this flight. You have TV camera films of the landing of the aircraft, making it better known thus 'famous'. While many were killed, most survived, including the pilot, who continued in his career.
As to the Gimni Glider, one fortunate factor was that the FO I believe has served in the RCAF and recalled from his experience of an RCAF airport closer than the one they were trying for and believed they may not make it to.
One also may want to include the recent GOL-Legacy mid-air incident, of the ability of the Legacy pilots to get down safely, despite the damage to their aircraft. It is unforuntate that the GOL pilots were not able to save their aircraft, and perhaps further investigations will help figure that out.

CM767

Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:29 pm

Quoting Yhz78 (Reply 36):
That was actually an Egypt Air flight.

Actually it was Ethiopian

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19961123-0&lang=en

Flight ET961 had taken off from Addis Ababa for a flight to Abidjan via Nairobi, Brazzaville and Lagos. Shortly after entering Kenyan airspace 3 men seized the aircraft and demanded to be flown to Australia.
Approaching the Comores the aircraft began to run out of fuel. The pilot attempted to carry out a controlled ditching in the shallow, sheltered waters 500m off Le Galawa Beach. The left engine and wingtip struck the water, causing the aircraft to break up and crash.

You are probaly confusing it with this one:

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19991031-0&lang=en

PROBABLE CAUSE: "The National Transportation Safety Board determines that the probable cause of the EgyptAir flight 990 accident is the airplane's departure from normal cruise flight and subsequent impact with the Atlantic Ocean as a result of the relief first officer's flight control inputs. The reason for the relief first officer's actions was not determined."
But The Best Thing God Has Created Is A New Day

mptpa

Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:42 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 19):
Gimili was a miscalculated load, Transat was indeed a fuel leak

In either case, how they managed to the aircraft down safely is pure airmanship. Otherwise, a lot of people would have died.

1stfl94

Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:51 am

Also in the Concorde crash in 2000, even though the aircraft was doomed, the pilot managed to save lives on the ground, as the last manouvres he made bought the aircraft away from crashing into the main building of a hotel.

BA5390, where the pilot was partly sucked out of the aircraft deserves an award for the whole crew. One of the cabin crew had to hold the pilot's belt to stop him from being sucked out completely whilst the others dealt with a decompression.

ZKSUJ

Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:37 am

Quoting Brenintw (Reply 14):
Wasn't the problem with the Transat A330 a fuel leak

Thats what I thought too. there was a breakage in a pipe or something. Can't remember what exactly went on, haven't seen the documentary in ages but I remember that there was alot of fingure pointing at Transat maintainence (or so it said on Nat Geo)

ZBBYLW

Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:20 pm

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 4):

Yea thanks for that, i did not know that the 707 was previously revered to as a Dash-80 or that it still is...

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 39):
As to the Gimni Glider, one fortunate factor was that the FO I believe has served in the RCAF and recalled from his experience of an RCAF airport closer than the one they were trying for and believed they may not make it to.

As for that you are correct. The pilots and ATC both figured out that the 767 was not going to make it to YWG (the nearest suitable airfield). The FO a former RCAF pilot did recall this airfield, but did not know it was now out of commission as a military airfield and only used for smaller aircraft now. As they approached it came into view and they selected the runway which was now not used. This runway was now used as a go-karting track. It happened to be family day at the go-kart track. Needless to say a few people on the ground got a very big surprise as a 767 was on short final for the "field". All in all a great job by the pilots.

[Edited 2006-11-22 04:20:35]
Keep the shinny side up!

bushpilot

Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:59 am

Chuck Yeager in the X-1, to be the first one to do it takes balls.

Quoting CM767 (Reply 37):
What about the TA pilots with a double flame out on a 737, they had to land plane on a levy. It was on New Orleans, no major damage to the plane nor injury to the passengers.

Also an incredible feat, I have heard that is the only time a jetliner has managed an entirely successful landing without power and away from the airport with No fatalities.
The Dash-80 roll is unbelievable. I have seen the footage many times and am amazed by it each time. Imagine the jet age being very new, attending the boat races in SEA on Lake Washington, and here comes this weird sounding large aircraft that is a prototype and very few in the public had seen, then to have it do a victory roll like it just shot down an enemy fighter is jaw dropping. I would imagein anyone who was there would never forget. The pilots did get into some hot water with Boeing understandably. But cooler heads prevailed and it worked out.

Lucky42

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:14 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 3):
I didn't count the Transat flight because it was easier to get the aircraft down than it was in Gimli, which relied on the pilot's experience with gliders to slow down and lose altitude

Really what makes you think so? My understanding was that the air transat landing was at night with no power...Seems to me it was as difficult as the gimli glider. Only difference was that the Air Canada 767 landed on a closed runway on an air force base being used as a drag strip but it was daylight. I think that is a MAJOR difference when you add that to the engine out equation

riyadhnurse

Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:51 am

#1 choice United 232 DC-10 crashed @SUX 1989,A true miracle of survival and unshakable confidence and pilot's skills saved many lives,despite cart wheeling down the runway. #2 choice Fed-Ex flt 705 MEM 1994.Crazed fellow emp and pilot who was a jump seater,armed with claw hammers and a spear -gun attacked cockpit crew,with head blows from the hammer,causing severe head trauma and hemorrhage.Whle the capt.& engineer fought the hijacker the F/O used the plane as a weapon with high speed turns etc to subdue the attacker.The capt. was able to get control and land the fuel & freight heavy DC-10 jet, using some fighter jet turns to line up with the runway and land safely.The crew recovered,but was never able to fly again.#3 choice Apollo 13. God bless all the Heroes,past & present  goldmedal   goodvibes 
Tongue-tied and twisted,just an earthbound misfit,I.

GAIsweetGAI

Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:22 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 1):
Dash 80 barrel roll.

A video of this can be found here (quality isn't the best though):
http://www.aeroclubandernos.com/videos.html

Scroll down almost to the bottom and look for "Tonneau en Boeing 707-80".
"There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."