flyf15

What Can I Do To Make Your Flight Better?

Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:15 am

Well, I've gotten some good feedback on the "Why are passengers so rude?" thread, so I'd like to start this one. I'm a pilot for a large CRJ operator here in the US. I'd like to know what I can do as a pilot to make your experience better. What have pilots done that you like? What do you wish they did?

Please keep it realistic though, theres only so much I can do within my power. I can't change flight times, I can't let you up front during cruise, I can't give you free beer for no reason, etc.

warreng24

RE: What Can I Do To Make Your Flight Better?

Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:26 am

Quoting Flyf15 (Thread starter):
I'm a pilot for a large CRJ operator here in the US.

Convince your management to dump the CRJ's in favor of E-Jets.

No, but seriously...

Pax aren't totally stupid. Keep us informed. We like to have regular status updates (especially if we're delayed on the ground or in the air). Even if you don't know anything new, its nice to know that you don't. Nothing irks me more than to have a Captain that only comes on the intercom once per flight just to say "Welcome aboard flight XXXX to XXXX, we're crusing at XXXXXX, we'll be there soon."

Give me an update as we get closer! Let me know how the ride is going to be? When do we plan on hitting some (known) bumps?

Also, a big thumbs up to the Captains that give a heads up:
"Folks, we've started our descent into XXX airport, in about 15 min I'll be turning on the Fasten Seat Belt Sign for the duration of the flight, so if you need to use the facilities, now would be a good time."

AA737-823

Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:41 am

Honesty, and communication.
Tell me why we're late, what's wrong, etc. Granted, I am a mechanic... but I think it applies to most people. Just be frank.

Also, I seem to remember a time when pilots announced that they had reached cruising altitude, set cruise airspeed, etc... and I don't think I have heard that info on a single flight in two or three years. What happened???

I just wish the cockpit crews would communicate with us more often, like they used to.

MCOflyer

Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:48 am

Please tell me where the heck I am. On a ZW CRJ routing ELM-PHL I saw a airfield that I didn't even regonise. Also as others have said let us know what lies ahead.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

futurecaptain

Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:48 am

I can't change flight times

I can't let you up front during cruise

I can't give you free beer for no reason

Damn, so what can you do then?  Big grin You are of no use to me.  Wink

Anyway, I agree with the first two posters. Communication with the pax is appriciated. Point out major landmarks to people. "We will be flying over the Grand Canyon in XX min" "On the left you will have a great view of Mt Hood in X min" "Those of you on the left will have a great view of downtown (incert city here) as we come in to land"
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

Bicoastal

Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:21 am

I've been impressed by a few United pilots I've seen come to the gate counter to make announcements themselves on why a flight is delayed. Rather than leave it to an overworked gate agent to be the bearer of bad news, they made the announcements themselves. Especially if it's mechanical, it's reassuring to hear an explanation from a pilot or first officer. People seem to be rude and evil to a gate agent in such situations, but would never get mad at a pilot.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

Bobster2

Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:31 am

Quoting Bicoastal (Reply 5):
Rather than leave it to an overworked gate agent ...Especially if it's mechanical,

Good suggestion. Reminds me of the time the gate agent told us we were going to be delayed for 2 hours due to an engine problem that had to be fixed. A few minutes later she announced there would be no delay. Oh, terrific, we're going to fly with a bad engine and not fix the problem. The captain eventually explained what happened and reassured us that nothing would compromise safety, but not until we were on the plane. We were left to worry in the meantime, and some people even decided to go home and fly the next day instead.
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

David L

Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:41 am

Ah, the benefits of seeing our own, home-grown a.netter become an airline pilot.  Smile

tmamtrak

Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:00 am

I too like to hear about landmarks along the way, our projected cruise altitude and speed, and especially to hear regularly from the crew during delays, even if no information is available. In my experience, the more you talk during delays, the happier people will stay.

This may seem a little strange but I hate when the seat belt light stays on for long periods of time when the aircraft is not even perceptibly moving. I understand that safety is paramount and that is very important to me. I always keep it fastened when seated. However, nothing is more annoying than when the light comes on, it gets bumpy for 10 or 15 minutes and then smooths out and you're not allowed to get up again. This is especially irritating when the light is on during a meal service or when there are many crewmembers up and around the cabin. I would say generally speaking if it is safe for the crew to be moving around and doing something non-safety-critical, it probably is safe for passengers to be up and around.

My most recent experience with this was on an AA 763 DFW-SFO where we encountered turbulence about 40 minutes into the flight that lasted perhaps 20 minutes and the seat belt light was never turned off. After 2 1/2 hours I could no longer wait to use the lavatory yet the flight attendant reading a magazine in the aft galley chewed me out pretty good for being out of my seat. It just doesn't seem fair to keep passengers crossing their legs and squirming when there's no apparent reason. Alternatively, they could say that turbulence was forecast and give a reason. Personally, I think they forgot.

ZKSUJ

Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:10 am

People seem to be rude and evil to a gate agent in such situations, but would never get mad at a pilot.

You should read his other post then  Wink

http://www1.airliners.net/discussion...eneral_aviation/read.main/3108270/

WN230

Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:14 am

Please tell us who the f/a's are, and stuff like flight time, what sights we can see, all the stuff like that. I flew AA to Texas BUR-DFW (i think. the final destination was in Texas) and the pilots were quite informative, and also told us that we'd be seeing the grand canyon. That really made the flight great.
Can you do things like that? I'm sure you can. Thnx for making the flight better.

WN230
Judas Priest North American tour in '08 . . . cannot wait!!!

nkops

Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:19 am

I like it when the pilot mentions the route we will be flying.... it's pretty neat to know what cities we will be going over...

And thanx for asking!!!
:evil:

kaneporta1

Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:24 am

An upgrade to First would do it for me! (I'm not even sure if CRJs have first class, but that would definitely make my flight better)
I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather, not terrified and screaming, like his passengers

csavel

Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:26 am

Quoting Warreng24 (Reply 1):
Also, a big thumbs up to the Captains that give a heads up:
"Folks, we've started our descent into XXX airport, in about 15 min I'll be turning on the Fasten Seat Belt Sign for the duration of the flight, so if you need to use the facilities, now would be a good time."

Seconded, I just flew BA to Accra and back, four flights, they did it on all four.
Also

2) My fearful flying mother would love to know how long turbulence will last, I know it is impossible to figure, but she would be greatly reassured if the Pilot came on and said, "Ladies and gentleman, we're pasing a fast jetstream so there will be turbulence, should be about twenty minutes or so to cross, if we can get clearance to go to another altitude we will," It really reassures her when pilots say that, especially in their unconcerned drawl.

3) most pilots or flight attendants are good about this, but for those who are not, if you are flying to a hub, telling passengers how to connect (i.e. international flights go to terminal 1, etc.) or if you're late telling them where a gate agent is and how to expidite going through another screening.

4) Honesty, if you've no idea how long a delay will be, then say so right off the bat.

5) Measurements of particularly hot looking flight attendants  Smile
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

AirTranTUS

Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:43 am

Quoting Futurecaptain (Reply 4):
Point out major landmarks to people.

Quoting Tmamtrak (Reply 8):
I too like to hear about landmarks along the way, our projected cruise altitude and speed, and especially to hear regularly from the crew during delays, even if no information is available. In my experience, the more you talk during delays, the happier people will stay.

I had a DL pilot in 2002 who announced as we crossed into Texas that there is an average of one oil well per square mile in the state. Interesting facts are nice to know. We were on a 727 so the pilot's were our IFE.
I love ASO!

lincoln

Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:57 pm

Communication is key; with a CRJ, I guess the stage lengths are shorter so there's not as much time. I think people are more relaxed the more information they have (at least I am). If we're delayed, tell us why and for how long. If you tell us it's going to be a 15 minute delay and it turns into a 45 minute delay, at 15 minutes, let us know "Well, folks that windshield wiper blade's taking a little longer than we expected to replace...it will be another 30 minutes or so." I've been on some flights /cough/Delta/cough/ where they announced a 20-minute delay after everyone was boarded and then there was silence for the next 2 hours.

Also, pointing out landmarks is not a bad thing; I guess there's a fine balance between being too quiet and too talkative, but my favorite flights are the ones where the captain introduces himself (or herself), the copilot, "we've reached our crusing altitude of xxxx feet, I'm going to turn off the seatbelt sign...", "Those of you on the left side of the aircraft will get a real nice view of ...".

I've been impressed by a few United pilots I've seen come to the gate counter to make announcements themselves on why a flight is delayed.

Likewise, I've seen this on Continental... And on one LAX-CLE red-eye, a majority of the cabin crew was even working behind the podium -- that was impressive and really screams "Teamwork" to me. On the other hand, I've ocassionally seen long lines in front of a podium with airline employees standing near by idling; even if it's not "your job" you may be able to answer of the people's questions.

Oh, and if anyone reading this happens to be working CO flight 735 on Thanksgiving day, make sure you say "Hi" to the guy currently in seat 14F  Wink

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

ckfred

Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:21 pm

I was on an AA flight from LAS to ORD. We pushed back 20 minutes late, at 10am, because of weather at ORD and ATC needing to slot us.

As we pushed back, the captain came on to explain that as the aircraft was being closed up, ATC advised that the plane had been put on a ground hold for 1 hour, and that Dispatch needed us to clear the gate for an inbound flight. So, we pushed back onto the maintenance pad.

In addition to turning off the seat belt sign and allowing cell phone use, the captain gave the F/As the go ahead to start beverage service, becasue he felt that there was almost no chance of getting an early clearance.

An hour later, at 11am, the captain came on and apoligized for being the bearer of bad news, but ORD had gone into a nationwide ground stop. ATC was advising of at least 1 more hour, but there was some chance of that ground stop being shorter.

Finally, at 11:40, the captain advised that ATC had given the ok to start the engines at 11:50, in anticipation of getting airborne at 12:10 and touching down at ORD around 5:20. So, anyone needing to use the lav or make more cellphone calls had a ten-minute warning.

I thought the captain did a good job of keeping us advised as to the status of our departure.

Yellowstone

Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:29 pm

Convince your airline to install Channel 9.  Smile
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

Ken777

Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:13 pm

I've been impressed by a few United pilots I've seen come to the gate counter to make announcements themselves on why a flight is delayed.

I'll second that! The simple fact is that the Captain has a much higher level of perceived authority and command that the gate agents and it can help the GA a lot of the captain presents the issues to the pax waiting in the area.

It also helps, when being early or late to announce the fact. If the flight is significantly late then let us know what efforts the airline is undertaking on our behalf - like changing connecting flights.

Another time I was impressed that the Captain shut the engines down in a waiting area at ORD, announced that were would have to wait a while because of traffic delays and then invited all kids (young & old) up front if they wanted to come. It was an AA 737 and a lot of "kids" did go up.

KingAirMan

Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:26 pm

well f15 flyer, does all of this sounds possible ?

United767

Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:36 pm

like posted above, its nice to know once in a while what city I am flying over or pointing out landmarks/ letting us know what state we are over and how much longer in route etc... I know that its a CRJ so no i.f.e or airshow.
I wish UA flew mainline to MYR, that way you wouldn't be stuck in a smelly Saturn for 12 hours.

flyf15

Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:48 pm

Quoting Kingairman (Reply 19):
well f15 flyer, does all of this sounds possible ?

Yeah, it sounds like the recurring theme is everyone just wants information and the pilots to be personable. No problem at all. We do have some guidelines/requirements as to what can and cannot be said (everything to a bare minimum while in sterile cockpit, for example), but it'd be a piece of cake to keep you all updated and such.

Anything else?

aaden

Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:50 pm

I always love to know a little bit about the flight plan; such as states were flying over flight time, not just a flight attendents please be seated.

RJwrench85

Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:38 pm

Especially if it's mechanical, it's reassuring to hear an explanation from a pilot or first officer.

If only you knew what was actually going on when we are "rebooting a computer" as the pilots says over the intercom. Most of the time we consult with the pilots to find out what explanation is good to tell passengers. The less you PAX know the better. I'm sure you dont want to know specifics about half the stuff we fix. Not that its bad or something but some people would freak out if we had a Oil Pressure Problem (even though its a bad pressure switch)

Back to the subject...As stated above communication is the key to a better flight
"Improvise, Adapt, Overcome"

ANCFlyer

Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:01 pm

Thanks for asking.

As someone mentioned above . . .

Honest answers and stop the BS.

I laugh every time I hear "ten minutes" out of an airline employee's mouth I know instantly they're full of crap. Ten minutes means I have another half hour (or better) to enjoy another scotch in the club. This applies more the the CSAs than to the cockpit crew - so pass this on to them.  wink 

If a broken plane, tell me what part, how long to fix it (and don't say 10 minutes), and when you think we'll leave. And if you honestly don't know - say so. Don't BS me. I've no time for it. I'm smarter than you think as well, I can smell BS a mile away. Remember, you can't BS a BSer.

If stuck somewhere - on board after boarding, in the 'penalty box' at an airport, whatever - keep me informed. A comment from the flight deck every 5- 10 minutes won't hurt my feelings, even if it's just to say "Well folks, we're still screwed, it'll be another 10 minutes". I'd rather have some info - even negative info - rather than none at all. Remember, I have things to do just like you . . . .

Just tell it straight, tell it honest. This has always been a pet peeve of mine. Particularly with CSAs on the ground.

Thanks for asking . . . .  thumbsup 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

nema

Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:40 pm

Just like many of the other replies in this post, COMMUNICATION is one of the most important words in any business.

This is both from within the business, employee to employee and just as importantly at the business end, employee to customer.

Those who fail in communication will eventually find failure in one way or another and those who work on communication will succeed. Of course the level or amount of communication is at the discretion of the beholder, balance is important but common sense should come in to most decisions here.

I definitely feel that I enjoy my journey more when a pilot takes that little extra effort to detail my journey and add the little technical additions in his comments. The enthusiasm and obvious enjoyment of their job clearly comes over when this is given.
There isnt really a dark side to the moon, as a matter of fact its all dark!

geotrash

Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:07 pm

Congrats on the yob, man! Seems like forever ago we were poking around in the clouds, lining up for the ILS 34 approach. Got a good taste for the IFR workload that day. Seems I owe you a phone call too.

To answer your question, as a guy who flies commercially a whole hell of a lot more than I'd like to, I've had the chance to give this some thought. First thing is, as others have pointed out, communication. Not so much as to be invasive when folks are trying to watch a movie, but having the crew be sensitive to times when people may be questioning what's going on, would be a great satisfaction builder.

Example 1: Departed SLC on an A319 for home last week. APU was out and the pilot did an air start on the first engine from ground sources. Took a few tries, and the cabin was plunged into darkness 3-4 times during the stunt. I knew what was happening, but lots of passengers didn't and were muttering things like "that inspires confidence", "what the hell is going on", or "didn't they pay the electric bill?". Not a word from the pilots the whole flight to explain the procedure and the need for it, or a safety assurance. that would have been a good time to have a little intercom chat with the cabin.

Example 2: Flying along at FL370 a few years ago late at night, just west of Chicago in the soup with lighting all around. Started to get a strong ozone smell in the cabin and a funky greenish light show on the wings. Lots of passengers were concerned, but the pilot had the presence of mind to come on the intercom and explain what a rare and wonderful treat St. Elmos fire was for us that night. It eased the passengers' minds.

Take care man! look me up next time you're out this way. I'll show you the "project".

Dave

ThePalauan

Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:34 pm

I think another idea you should emphasize on is the morale of the cabin crew. I think a flight turns out to be really great if the captain is highly motivated and spreads that morale to his staff and they turn around and spread it to the passengers. Of course, there will be some people who'd rather be on the darker side of life and be like Scrooge but hearing a lively pilot on the PA and then seeing his staff sharing his/her enthusiasm really makes you feel more comfortable in your chair at 35,000 ft.

I guess, to quote Delta's slogan, Good goes around.  biggrin 
You can take the boy out of the island, but not the island out of the boy!

Curmudgeon

Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:20 pm

I'll agree with the open an honest communications. Nothing is more frustrating than getting four 15 minute delays when it was going to be an hour from the get-go.

I used to have a Captain's Atlas..it was a Rand McNally road atlas with the major airways superimposed. If they still have that it was great for adding local color to the P.A.s.. There also used to be an air route guide for the major airways that had things like civil war battlefields noted, with a paragraph on the highlights of each 50 miles or so. If you can get your hands on one of those you can become either a real customer service asset, or a real pain in the ass, depending on the audience. Wink

The turbulence thing is always worthy of good management, as is the eta and holding.

BTW, for those who are vexed by the seat belt sign staying on for hours...pilots who don't do a periodic look around the cockpit will miss it, and many F/As won't call up front to remind them.
Jets are for kids

bongo

Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:00 am

I'd like to know what I can do as a pilot to make your experience better. What have pilots done that you like? What do you wish they did?

Try to be on time, tell the truth when there´s a delay, let me go to the cockpit  Smile
MDE: First airport in the Americas visited by the A380!

MiCorazonAzul

Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:02 am

Rather than leave it to an overworked gate agent to be the bearer of bad news, they made the announcements themselves.

B6 pilots do the same thing....atleast those pilots working flights I am working. It is amazing how people react to a pilot giving them bad news vs a gate agent.....night and day reaction.

People seem to be rude and evil to a gate agent in such situations, but would never get mad at a pilot.

Very true. We could be telling them the same exact thing the pilot is saying but the big difference being our title makes a WORLD of difference in their reaction....pretty amazing.
Live for Today.....tomorrow is NOT guaranteed.

SB

Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:47 am

On BA it seems standard procedure for the PIC to welcome the passnegers aboard and give them a little lecture on safety, as well the the flight information ordinarily given out by the cabin staff. Later the captain informed up of the delay at take-off honestly: we were 22nd in line, and would be waiting an additional 25 minutes bringing the total delay to 40 minutes.
About an hour from destination the captain came on again to inform us of the weather, ETA, probable turbulence on approach, etc.

Another almost funny (for me as a pilot) example was on a AC Jazz BAe 146. The First Officer advised us that the loud grinding we were about to hear was just the flaps moving, nothing to worry about ...

Finally there was this AF captain who pointed out every landmark, phase of flight, and even turns on the apron to us during approach/landing in NCE. Okay, that may have been too much, but I could see the passengers liked it.

This all boils down to the same thing: inform the passengers. I do it on my little 172 - an increase in aircraft size shouldn't equate to a decrease in passenger information.
"Confirm leave the hold and maintain 320kts?!"

Mir

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:07 am

Five very simple things:

1) Never have delays. If it's weather, fly through it anyway - that's what they train you for, isn't it? If it's ATC, get on the radio and explain to them that I have an urgent meeting that I absolutely must make it to - I'm sure they'd have no problem making a little exception for that. If it's mechanical, get me on another airplane (you do, of course, have a spare plane ready at a moment's notice just in case something should come up, right?).
2) Turbulence is strictly forbidden. If the pilots on my LGA-PBI flight a week ago were able to make it completely smooth, there's no reason why you can't do the same for my LAS-SNA flight tomorrow.
3) Explain to the flight attendants that when I ask for a cup of coffee, the "immediately" is implied. I don't care if there's a lot of turbulence, they're trained to be able to serve coffee without any spilling in that, aren't they? But there shouldn't be any turbulence anyways - see point #2. Also, I am entirely capable of handling any and all amounts of alcohol, so please make it clear to them that under no circumstances should I be denied beer, wine or spirits.
4) Make sure that my bags are not only on the plane, but that they also make it to the baggage claim before I do. Note that I consider sprinting through airports part of my health and fitness regimine. But only after flights, never before or while connecting. Which reminds me, I do expect you to wait for me before you depart, no matter how late I am. Remember, I have an urgent meeting, and I'm sure the other passengers wouldn't mind a short delay - they don't have anything as important as that meeting anyways.
5) Whenever I ask a question, always have the answer ready immediately. They pay you to know that kind of stuff.

Smile

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Mir

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:19 am

In all seriousness, though:

Keep the passengers informed of what's going on, and just be honest. I don't like hearing that we're going to have a ninety minute ground stop, but I'd rather hear that than hear that we have nine ten-minute ATC delays. Granted, sometimes even you don't know how long the delays are going to be, and that's understandable, but tell us that also. Honesty is the best policy. And turn the seat belt sign off (when appropriate, of course).

I've been impressed by a few United pilots I've seen come to the gate counter to make announcements themselves on why a flight is delayed. Rather than leave it to an overworked gate agent to be the bearer of bad news, they made the announcements themselves.

I was impressed by that also, and I think it's a great idea.

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 18):
Another time I was impressed that the Captain shut the engines down in a waiting area at ORD, announced that were would have to wait a while because of traffic delays and then invited all kids (young & old) up front if they wanted to come. It was an AA 737 and a lot of "kids" did go up.

Now that's a nice thing to do!  biggrin  I'm surprised that was allowed post-9/11.

Quoting RJwrench85 (Reply 23):
I'm sure you dont want to know specifics about half the stuff we fix. Not that its bad or something but some people would freak out if we had a Oil Pressure Problem (even though its a bad pressure switch)

I don't necessarily need to know that some particular reading is 275 when the minimum is 350, but I don't mind knowing that there's a problem with the oil pressure in one of the engines, and that that's the reason the flight is delayed.

-Mir

KingAirMan

Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:10 am

Fly15F:

What do you mean when you say, you have restrictions on what you can say and "sterile cockpit" ?

flyf15

Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:53 am

Quoting KingAirMan (Reply 34):
Fly15F:

What do you mean when you say, you have restrictions on what you can say and "sterile cockpit" ?

During taxi, takeoff, landing, and flight below 10000ft, we have whats called a "sterile" cockpit. The only things said/done are those essential to flight. We, the crew, don't even talk to each other unless it is operationally necessary. This is because of the high workload and the (relatively) easy ability to make mistakes due to many more changes (heading, altitude, speed, traffic in vicinity, etc)... miss a radio call while taxiing and you could very well accidentally taxi onto an active runway, for example.

This is why you'll only hear "Flight attendants be seated", or something similiar, prior to takeoff. At my airline, we acknowledge the beginning and end of sterile cockpit with a single chime. Once that chime is heard, the flight attendant knows we're out of sterile cockpit and he/she can get up and start moving about.

riyadhnurse

Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:56 am

Always good information and updates are greatly appreciated. Always stand your ground with the many unruley and disturbing jerks that cause problems and are non compliant with the cabin crews etc.Kick their ass of the plane,and the rest of the pax will gladly stand up for you! Personally you guys do a great job esp in these times,and I say Thank you for keeping our skies safe and secure!  highfive 
Tongue-tied and twisted,just an earthbound misfit,I.

EMA747

Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:20 am

Let us enthusiasts in the cockpit more. Big grin
More enthusiast related info during the flight. Maybe just a "we are going to be taking off from runway 25L bla bla.." and the same on landing. You could add the SID/STAR etc if you really wanted to.
Failing doesn’t make you a failure. Giving up and refusing to try again does!

silentbob

Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:32 am

On the early morning or late night flights most passengers just want some quiet time so they can sleep. The vast majority of passengers don't care about trivial info nearly as much as the members here.

Delays or problems - let the passengers know the cause (within reason). Of course some of that would require maintenance to actually be truthful about how long repairs will actually take.

RIXrat

Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:44 am

All of the above suggestions are wonderful things for a pilot to put a passenger's mind at ease.

However, I have a major gripe with some airlines whose cabin crew PA announcements come in at the volume of a rock concert, but when the pilot comes on 30 minutes later about the flight and the conditions, he sounds 3/4 down on the volume and appears to be broadcasting on a crystal radio set of the 1920s. What did he say?

I know that is not the pilot's problem because he can't hear the volume intensity of what he's saying in the passenger cabin. It's the airlines problem to coordinate the electronics of the F/A PA system and the pilot's PA system.

tockeyhockey

Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:05 am

Well, I've gotten some good feedback on the "Why are passengers so rude?" thread, so I'd like to start this one. I'm a pilot for a large CRJ operator here in the US. I'd like to know what I can do as a pilot to make your experience better. What have pilots done that you like? What do you wish they did?

Please keep it realistic though, theres only so much I can do within my power. I can't change flight times, I can't let you up front during cruise, I can't give you free beer for no reason, etc.

i would like to suggest making the entire airport experience a little bit more pleasant. when passengers get on the jet and are rude to you, it's probably more of a manifestation of the horrible experience they've been having for the past 3 or 4 hours.

when a flight leaves at 6:00 AM, many of us who live in the suburbs are getting up at 3:00 AM to make our flight.

then we have to navigate the airport parking situation, which can often leave us miles away from the airport without a shuttle to be found. then we go through long check-in lines with very little help. then security takes another 45 minutes, often with rude TSA people yelling at us to take our shoes off or other unprepared passengers being told that they have to go back through the metal detector for a second or third time.

now we sit in some crappy cubby hole for another hour waiting for our flight to board. flights are almost always delayed a little bit, sometimes a lot. we get no explanation, and no comfort in a crowded waiting area.

then we have to board the plane, which is always a disaster because the airlines refuse to enforce their own carry-on rules. people get all the way to the back with giant rolling bags then realize there is no space so they have to fight their way to the front again.

then we're crammed into tiny, narrow seats for hours at a time with no food and (sometimes) crabby flight attendants barging through the aisles waking us up and telling us to move our elbows.

then we get to the airport on the other side of the country and we have to wait as long to get our bags as it took to make the flight. then a rental car line. then traffic.

flying is no fun, unless you can afford to go first class all the way. and even then it's no fun.

so when passengers start complaining, it's not necessarily because of you or your performance. it's because the act of flying has been stripped of almost all of its civility.

skyhawk62507

Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:07 am

Quoting Silentbob (Reply 38):
On the early morning or late night flights most passengers just want some quiet time so they can sleep. The vast majority of passengers don't care about trivial info nearly as much as the members here.

Hear, hear! I love information as much as the next A-netter, but too many comments over the PA from the cockpit (and, especially, the cabin crew) irk me like nothing else onboard a commercial flight. I'm not on a scenic tour; I'm just trying to get to LA.

Keep it to the basics... and no unnecessary announcements during cruising flight, please.

IAHFLYR

Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:28 am

Thanks for both of your posts.....nice to see you are interested in what the passengers may have for input.

Drives me nuts either as a passenger or following a crew that the taxi speed is soooooooo slow they have to speed up to stop....drives me nuts, and I don't mean drive around the airport like it is a NASCAR race either but at least move.

Biggest thing I think is keeping passengers informed of things and especially being honest about it......long ago when we could ride jumpseat a Captain during a minor maint delay got on the PA and informed the folks the delay was due to ATC, then looked at me as he put the mic down and said.....oh sorry, forgot you were here! hahahaha yeah real funny that was when the manager of the enroute center that we were going into first of all was in the back traveling on business got off the plane to use a phone in the terminal only to call his facility to find out about this ATC delay......and come back onboard requesting to see the Captain! whoops!
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

Toulouse

Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:42 am

Quoting SB (Reply 31):
Finally there was this AF captain who pointed out every landmark, phase of flight, and even turns on the apron to us during approach/landing in NCE. Okay, that may have been too much, but I could see the passengers liked it.

Wonder was that the same pilot as I had about a year ago from CDG to TLS, I think the guy was from Brittany, and told us as Brittany is so much more beautiful than Toulouse he would fly us westwards towards Britanny then turn south along the coast towards TLS... then said it was actually due to weather conditions, but that he was Brittany... kept on joking about it, asking why we wanted to go to TLS when his part of France is "the best" and if we wanted we could vote and he'd divert to Britanny and bring us out to dinnner. Also pointed out Bordeaux and a few other landmarks. Had the cabin in stitched laughing, and he did his entire "funny bit" word for word in English and French. Maybe a bit over the top, but I've never seen such a happy atmosphere in a plane, the entire crew were even all smiles (and some for a bit of embarrassement at his constant jokes).

Anyway, as all have said COMMUNICATE. We all seem to love hearing from the flight deck. The airlines I fly most frequently are Iberia and Aer Lingus and you're luck if you even get a "hello" from the cockpit, all you usually hear from the cockpit is a quick "entrando en pista para despedue" (entering runway for take-off) obviously more for the f/a's than us. Aer Lingus pilots used to be very informative, and recently I've noticed that some policy has obviously been introduced as there are always the same 2 announcements (a welcome aboard with some basic info on the flight and depedning on the pilot, introducing the whole crew by name, who's flying the plane today and enjoy your flight), then about half way into the flight they give an update on the flight, weather at destination, eta and thanks for flying Aer Lingus today".
They are in fairness though usually very good when there are delays or turbulance.
Long live Aer Lingus!

nosedive

Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:59 am

Quoting EMA747 (Reply 37):
More enthusiast related info during the flight. Maybe just a "we are going to be taking off from runway 25L bla bla.." and the same on landing. You could add the SID/STAR etc if you really wanted to.

Be within reason though, Things like "a short/long/quick taxi out to the runway where we will depart out to the north on runway 3-5" Left. Don't say L, that makes you look like a dork, and many will be like, "what?"

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 14):
Interesting facts are nice to know.

checkmark  And mix 'em up, but don't over do it. I don't need a book report on your Jepp-charts.

most of my other suggestions have already been made, but I'd like to crystallize a few: tell us what you're going to do before you do it. If we have a steep climb out, make sure the passengers know.

Remember, your communication should be clear enough to calm the fears of a first time flyer but poignant enough to not piss off the gold-club-omgbizmeeting flyer.

Humor helps lighten up some dull circumstances, but don't joke about safety!

QXatFAT

Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:05 am

Quoting Bobster2 (Reply 6):
Good suggestion. Reminds me of the time the gate agent told us we were going to be delayed for 2 hours due to an engine problem that had to be fixed. A few minutes later she announced there would be no delay. Oh, terrific, we're going to fly with a bad engine and not fix the problem. The captain eventually explained what happened and reassured us that nothing would compromise safety, but not until we were on the plane. We were left to worry in the meantime, and some people even decided to go home and fly the next day instead.

Wow were we on the same flight? haha. That happend to me last November flying out of IAD on Indy. The gate agent told us all the engine broke down and needs to be fixed so there will be a delay. 5 min later she says we are ready to continue our flight to DTW. Everyone was like no no I dont think so. Comes to find out 10 min after we started boarding they had us all get off the plane because the problem was not fixed and had to continue to work on it.

Communication as it is being talked to death in here. The best time I had on all my flights is with HP. The ones I am always on they say "Ladies and gentlmen, if you look off to your left you will see Las Vegas. This is an amazing place to see at night with all of the lights on." or "Ladies and gentlemen, in just about 5 min if you look off to your right or left you will see the great Mississippi river!" The best piolts I have ever had are on HP.
Don't Tread On Me!

MXComet4C

Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:36 am

Your chat, not too much, not too little, will keep us pax cozy. Try this: Add all this thread up and start practicing new things over the PA, then listen carefully after you land if there is or not an applause, not only for smooth landings but for the chat, and if not, listen closely to pax's comments as they disembark.
Let's go UPN-DWN

Mir

Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:20 am

Quoting IAHFLYR (Reply 42):
real funny that was when the manager of the enroute center that we were going into first of all was in the back traveling on business got off the plane to use a phone in the terminal only to call his facility to find out about this ATC delay......and come back onboard requesting to see the Captain! whoops!

Busted!  Smile

-Mir

IAHFLYR

Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:02 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 47):
Busted!

I am just glad I got to witness the entire event.....  Smile
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

iairallie

Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:44 pm

If you work for B6 or F9 or any other carrier with live tv try to keep announcements to a minimum once the PTV is turned on. Nothing is more annoying than watching an a show like CSI to the end then having an announcement block the big surprise ending.

[Edited 2006-11-24 06:53:04]
Enough about flying lets talk about me!