rootsair

Best Coffee On An Airline?

Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:19 pm

The best coffee I have had so far is on Iberia, KLM and of course TACA which seems to have an excellent selection of central american coffee.

The grossest one I've ever had was on Easy Jet from GVA to CIA. Very bland and tasted like sand !

[Edited 2006-12-07 11:19:54]
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

DesertAir

RE: Best Coffee On An Airline?

Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:58 pm

When I flew from California to Europe a couple of times on KLM, I also thought their coffee was good.

PlymSpotter

Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:02 pm

I agree with you about the KLM coffee RootsAir, it's great isn't it! I also liked the coffee on Air France, but then again it could be because it's the same supplied to both airlines since they merged.

Also the coffee on Air Southwest, I liked that too, probably because it's the same as the coffee I drink at home, Kenco. mmm *puts kettle on* silly 

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Asturias

Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:44 pm

Oh I agree the coffee on Iberia is good, but especially on Air Nostrum (IB regional) and the best coffee I know of is from AEY to RKV on Air Iceland (FI regional). Regional coffee. Good stuff  Smile

cheers

Asturias
Tonight we fly

IAHFLYR

Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:01 am

Any coffee with Bailey's in it is okay with me......  goodvibes   up 
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

fxramper

Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:41 am

Coffee on IB!  yes 

Coffee on AA.  no 

RCS763AV

Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:46 am

Iberia and Mexicana ae good.

but Avianca kicks their butts with Colombia´s Juan Valdez trademark coffee.

srbmod

Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:09 am

Quoting RootsAir (Thread starter):
Best Coffee On An Airline?

You do realize that's an oxymoronic statement? While airlines may use good blends, the best blend in the world doesn't mean a thing if it isn't brewed properly, and nearly all onboard coffee makers cannot brew a proper cup of coffee due to the pressurized atmosphere at altitude. Since water boils at a lower temperature at higher altitudes, the optimum brewing temperature for coffee (195-205F) is above the boiling point for water at the "altitude" the a/c is pressurized to (The boiling point for water drops 2F for every 1000 ft. above seas level). Boiling water + coffee=A bad pot of coffee. Boiling water kills some of the oils and other chemical compounds that gives coffee its' flavor. Add to that the questionable "potable" water supply onboard, and you have a recipe for a bad pot of coffee (unless the onboard coffee brewer has a pour over option, which helps a little bit since they can use bottle water). The other option is to have it brewed on the ground, but by the time they get around to serving it, it's too late. A freshly brewed pot of coffee stays that for about 30 minutes before the oils in coffee start to break down, especially if the coffee is in a carafe that has direct contact to a heat source. A thermal carafe or an airpot will keep it fresh longer since the coffee is not in contact with any heat source (a thermal carafe or an airpot is basically a souped up thermos).

Quoting IAHFLYR (Reply 4):
Any coffee with Bailey's in it is okay with me.....

That's about the only way to somewhat salvage a cup or airline coffee.

goldorak

Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:07 am

AF serves espresso in long-haul J and F and they are great

srbmod

Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:25 am

Quoting Goldorak (Reply 8):

I would assume they use a pod or capsule type machine like Alitalia does? I couldn't imagine an F/A grinding the beans, tamping the grounds into the portafilter, and then extract a shot from the machine. I use a capsule machine at home and I love it. While it may not make as good of a cup of espresso like you'd find at a coffee house, you can't beat the convenience.

TPAnx

Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:38 pm

Best I ever had was on an AA flight from BOS to somewhere out west.
Asked the FA what it was and she said it was Jamaican Blue Mountain.
T'was years ago..I doubt that in this era of cost-cutting they still serve it.  coffee  TPAnx
I read the news today..oh boy

ACDC8

Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:43 pm

Any coffee is great just after the cabin lights go on during a east bound trans atlantic flight. But KLM does offer a consistently good coffee (for airline standards), BA is also quite good. The absolute worse I've ever had were on my LTU long-hauls, luke warm and tasted like instant coffee.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

alaska737

Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:21 pm

um Horizon air??? Starbucks??? FREE!!!!!!!!!!! thats all i have to say

rootsair

Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:02 pm

Quoting Goldorak (Reply 8):

what about that dissolvable coffee that supposedly poisoned a passenger last month ? is it any good?
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

ArcticBlast

Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:52 am

Yep, "Alaska737" is spot on. Fresh Starbucks on Horizon Air, especially after a couple glasses (okay, "cups") of their current microbrew offering, also free. And, if all this is while en-route to YYC to see a Calgary Flames (hockey) game, hey, gotta love it.  bigthumbsup 

//Paul in SEA

TACAA320

Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:23 am

Nothing better than a cup of fresh brewed Britt coffee.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

rootsair

Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:25 pm

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 15):
Nothing better than a cup of fresh brewed Britt coffee.

Exactly!!! That's why I particularly enjoyed my coffee on TACA flight from LPB to LIM whilst flying over the andes! yumm. The best is that I was served two times !!!

LHRBFSTrident

Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:30 am

Austrian Airlines - probably due to their long-standing national obsession with coffee since the Turks pounded on the gates of Vienna a few centuries ago...

Not only strong and tasty, but the 'cream' that they serve with it makes it so smooth (Kaffeeobers)

Worst was AA ORD-LAX last week - Juan Valdez is pulling a fast one on them and flogging his cheap unwanted excess supply over to the States  vomit 

kelebek

Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:34 pm

TK's coffee is good too.
actually the question is quite difficult to answer, cuz it just depends on one's taste..
LH war quite okay for my taste, while JK was aweful.

A300605R

Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:28 am

Blue Wings / Mahan Air had a very good coffee. But maybe it tasted so good because it was my first after 4 weeks of tea...  Wink
300 319 320 321 332 733 734 735 738 753 763 F27 M83

srbmod

Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:18 am

Quoting LHRBFSTrident (Reply 17):

Worst was AA ORD-LAX last week - Juan Valdez is pulling a fast one on them and flogging his cheap unwanted excess supply over to the States

I think it was Juan's brother Julio......  duck 

With airlines cutting costs, it wouldn't surprise me if coffee was one of the areas some airlines cut costs. Probably switched to a blend that is more Robusta beans than Arabica beans. Robustas are cheaper beans and tend to be used in quite a few of the brands you see in stores (if it doesn't say 100% Colombian or 100% Arabica, it will have Robusta beans used in the blend.).

PanAm747

Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:19 am

Actually, I have found UA's coffee quite good for a very ironic reason - they use Starbuck's Coffee at half strength!!

Someone on TV was saying the other day that "Starbuck's makes their coffee too strong and brews it too hot - it always tastes burnt!!". That was the first time anyone had used my exact same words!!

United, on the other hand, in an effort to save money, makes their coffee at half strength, and not as hot - so the beans are burned and the flavor comes through. And besides, it's fun to go ask for another cup and chat with the f/a's...find out if any of them might be aviation enthusiasts...talk planes...you know, a good conversation starter.  wink 
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

srbmod

Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:14 am

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 21):

Someone on TV was saying the other day that "Starbuck's makes their coffee too strong and brews it too hot - it always tastes burnt!!". That was the first time anyone had used my exact same words!!

Starbucks, in comparison to the majority of roasters, over roasts their coffee. They're trying to extract the maximum amount of flavor in the roast, but once you start roasting past the typical dark roast ranges, you do risk burning the beans.