AeroWesty
Topic Author

Your First Mileage Run

Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:28 am

Some people do mileage runs to gain or maintain status, some do them to reach other goals such as bonus miles for new routes, etc. I was going through some of my old things this weekend and was reminded of my first one.

In the early 80s, TWA was running a special, fly 5 flights within a certain period of time, and receive a free domestic first class ticket. I was already planning a trip back east with a friend, and needed one more segment to qualify, so I flew SFO-LAX-SFO one night after work. I even got an L-1011 both ways, with the return flight nearly empty.

Right after receiving my certificate, TWA had a fare sale between SFO and JFK, so I sold the certificate to a mileage broker for $525, that covered the cost of the ticket to NY and my share of the hotel that weekend. The miles I earned for the LAX and JFK trips were a nice bonus on top of it all.

If you've done a mileage run, what was your first one and why did you do it?
International Homo of Mystery

ANCFlyer

RE: Your First Mileage Run

Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:12 am

Needed 4900 miles to make Chairmans Preferred in 1997, so I had to fly somewhere . . . so from DCA-PIT-SEA/LAX-PIT-DCA with a hop on the Coast Starlight between SEA and LAX  bigthumbsup 

Excellent trip.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Tango-Bravo

Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:30 am

My first -- and only -- mileage run was in April, 1994, BJI-MSP-DFW and return for the purpose of adding enough miles to my World Perks account to put me "over the top" for a free award ticket for a trip to MIA I had planned for January, 1995. My mileage run to DFW was scheduled to allow me to attend the annual Dallas airline hobby show. I was also able to find a very reasonable fare for the trip. And I was able to make my planned trip BJI-MSP-DTW-TPA/MIA-MSP-BJI on a saver award ticket for some spotting at TPA/MCO/FLL/MIA and another airline hobby show, in Miami, making my one and only mileage run a success in every respect.

[Edited 2006-12-14 00:30:56]

exFATboy

Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:42 am

I just did my first one last weekend to get Elite Silver on CO last weekend - EWR-SAT, return SAT-IAH-LGA. It may not have been a "true" mileage run in that I stayed overnight in SAT and spent the day going to the Alamo, Riverwalk, etc., unlike most of the mileage runs I read about on A.net, where the runners never seem to leave the airport.

highpeaklad

Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:40 am

My first one's in March EWR-LAX-SFO-LAX-EWR in AA first class this is to earn enough tier point to retain BA silver.

Chris
Don't try to keep up with the Joneses - bring them down to your level !