aaden

Go Out Of Your Way To Fly A Specific Airline?

Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:29 pm

do you go out of your way to fly a specific airline?

how far would you go, time and money wise?

QXatFAT

RE: Go Out Of Your Way To Fly A Specific Airline?

Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:09 pm

Usually, when I go to Washington, DC...I will drive to OAK (2 hour drive) to fly on CO via IAH. I just love that 738. HP flys here into FAT and thats all I need
Don't Tread On Me!

Asturias

Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:26 pm

I usually go out of my way to fly Iberia or Air Nostrum. I'd pay 300€ more to fly with them on an intra-European flight. (No I don't work for them nor does anyone I know)

cheers

Asturias
Tonight we fly

Jkw777

Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:01 pm

Well ordinarily I wouldn't go out of my way to fly another airline. I do have my preferences on who I would much rather fly, however it normally comes down to the cost of the flight for me!

Regards,
- Justin  Smile
jkw6210@btopenworld.com or +447751242989

srbmod

Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:21 am

Not yet. But when I finally go to London, I'll might fly up to another city in order to fly Virgin Atlantic even though DL and BA fly ATL-LGW.

Jeremy

Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:01 am

All the time!

I was going to Paris once and flew to GVA instead so I could get on the Iran Air 747SP from GVA to ORY.
I also flew KWI to DXB so I could fly Sri Lankan.

I am planning trips to get on SV GVA-FRA and ET FCO-ARN.
You are now free to be sexually harassed and then terminated for filing a complaint--Southwest Airlines to me.

falstaff

Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:08 am

I like NW, I probably would go out of my way to fly them if I had to. Since I live in Detroit I don't have to go out of my way. However if an airline had a specific plane I wanted to fly on I would go way out of my way to fly on it.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

LHRBFSTrident

Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:30 pm

Well I once scheduled a day-trip 3 days later than ideal LHR-CPH-LHR so that I could visit CPH and get a ride on on an SK MD-90 and RG MD-11

The SK MD-90 was excellent and went according to plan LHR-CPH!

In the event, the RG MD-11 never made it to CPH inbound from LHR (this was quite common, I am told) and the return CPH-LHR was cancelled. This was one occasion when I wish the SK agent had NOT been smiling as he informed me gleefully that the flight was cancelled and I was only going to get to LHR the following afternoon, but that's another story...

This left 200-odd pax bound for GIG/GRU at CPH all trying to get on the last MD-87 down to LHR to make the RG continuation, in addition to all the usual SK pax ticketed on that service.

I was on a UA award ticket, a hasty dash to the ticket desk and they refused my request to go SK CPH-GLA transferring to BD GLA-LHR final service of the night due to the short (15 min) transfer time at GLA, even though I argued I was very fit and had no bags!

Quick talking got me CPH-BHX which is actually closer to home (although my luggage was at 'Excess Baggage Company' LHR T3 which I had dropped off that morning, not wanting to schlep it around CPH all day, and I was ticketed to fly BHX-GLA the following lunchtime.)

This meant I after finally getting to BHX and home after midnight, I had to drive down to LHR at 0600 (2hrs+ in traffic), pick up my baggage from T3, drive back up to BHX for an 11am departure...what a mess...

...and to this day I have never flown RG or the MD-11 - but I sure went out of my way to try!

zkeoj

Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:22 pm

I go out of my way money and time wise. Since AKL is the main airport here, I don't have to go out of my way in terms of an alternative airport. I am flying to Europe next month, and the fastest cheapest fare was with TG/LH via BKK and return with LH/NZ via NRT and CHC (strange combination, but the joy of flying Star Alliance). Since I've never been to Japan, I decided to go AKL-KIX-FRA-NRT-CHC-AKL for the same fare, despite an overnight connection in KIX... I try to get airlines, aircraft, and/or routings that I haven't been on. Depending on time and additional cost I am happy to go the extra mile...

Cheers
micha

1stfl94

Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:54 pm

I will be avoiding United for future travels, so many reasons to avoid them.

PlymSpotter

Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:43 pm

I will always try to choose an airline that is a member of SkyTeam because they are my main FF Program and it helps to build level flights and miles.

Aside of that, if there is an airline flying somewhere I wish to travel to, and they are say £10 more expensive than a carrier I have already flown, then I will pay the extra, after all it's a bit of fun and I don't know when I will have the opportunity to fly on them again.

I'll go a long way out of my way to fly on a specific aircraft though, especially if it's rare and going to be withdrawn soon. As an Example, next week I'm flying to Syria so get on a 747SP, Yak40, B727 and hopefully an F28 as well. Previously I've flown across the Atlantic just to get on a DC10-30, to Germany to fly an Iran Air 747-100 and to the Isle of Man for a BAe146-100.

It's my hobby, and it's good fun!

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Leskova

Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:23 am

I'll go a little bit out of my way (if the difference in travel time is less than an hour or the fare difference is no more than, say, €50) to avoid a B737, B777, A300 or A310 - other than that, no.
Smile - it confuses people!

Sabena332

Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:39 am

I make always sure that I don't end up on a Lufthansa flight, a few days ago I booked an AF/DL combination instead of a LH/UA combination to get to Sacramento, it was approx. 100 EUR more expensive but definitely worth the money!

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!