WestJetYQQ
Topic Author

9/11 - Where Were You?

Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:08 am

I was just reading the forum on the 3,000,000th civil post on a.net, and i saw the link to the thread from 9/11, and i read through it for quite some time, until I realized how long it was. It has to be the longest thread in a.net history (correct me if I'm wrong), and coincidentally the last post on it was "This has to be the longest thread in a.net history."

Anyway the thread got me to thinking where I was on that dreadful day, and then where others were, and how lucky I was not to be in NYC that day.

I was still sleeping at the time of the attacks. It was around 6am, Pacific Time. I went to school unknowing that anything had ocurred. I was in the fifth grade at the time. The school staff told us that a plane had crashed into the towers. I thought it was a small plane, perhaps a cessna, and that everything was fine. They never said the towers were gone. I didn't know until I got home later that day and saw the TV. After that I watched the TV for hours on end. I remember there were F-18s over my house. That was a sad day for all.

I was wondering where others of you were on that day. Where there any a.netters on diverted flights? There has to be hundreds of stories out there.

Cheers
WS
Will You Try to Change Things? Use the Power that you have, the Power of a Million new Ideas.

AsstChiefMark

RE: 9/11 - Where Were You?

Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:12 am

Woke up, fell out of bed. Dragged a comb across my head. Switched on the TV and immediately saw the second aircraft hit. I've never gone from groggy to wide awake so damned fast in my life.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

N776AU

Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:24 am

As far as when it happened, I was on the bus to school. I was in seventh grade at the time, and everything progressed as normal through the morning. Then we said the pledge and our principal said two men have crashed a plane in to the World Trade Center. My thought was, "Oh it's a little Cessna. There will be some deaths, but just a terrible accident; life goes on I suppose". They refused to tell us the entire day what had happened, and I didn't find out until I got home.
Careful, Doors Are Closing And Will Not Reopen. Please Wait For The Next Train

DALelite

Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:26 am

I was at work and didn't know what has happend in N.Y.C. at that time.
When i got home, my neighbor was waiting for me outside her flat telling me the news. I didn't belive it, thought that she was mistaken and said that it probably was a small private jet that has crashed into the twin towers.
Immedeatly i turned on the TV. And there was the proof that she war right.
I was in shock. Immedeatly i called up my parents who live in Florida to check on them.
I was damn sure that World War 3 was on its way.

regards: DALelite
They loved to fly and it showed..

WestJetYQQ
Topic Author

Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:36 am

I also Want to tell this story,

At the Time, My Dad was an AME for Air Rainbow, a small airline out of the Campbell River Spit, operating Beavers on Floats. The guys at the Hangar heard about the closed airspace, and, they watched the TV for a while. Then, one of them had the brilliant Idea of taking one of the companies Beavers up for a test flight (testing if the F-18s from Nearby CFB Comox (YQQ) would come over to investigate). The fighters never did come by the way.  Smile

Cheers
WS

P.S. Air Rainbow is now Defunct. Wink
Will You Try to Change Things? Use the Power that you have, the Power of a Million new Ideas.

tz757300

Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:44 am

I was in English class on the second floor of the middle school in 7th grade. All the teachers we're in a hype because they were hearing that school was going to close mid-way through the day. She tried to explain what really had happened, but she was too emotional to continue. So she flipped on the news and I was there watching the TV to see the second plane hit. I really didn't know what to make of the situation. So I made my way home on the bus, kinda scared, kinda excited. I got home to see my mom crying and she said my grandpa was on a flight to SJU today and haven't heard from him since the night before, but he was ok.

I'll never forget that day
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

PlymSpotter

Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:17 am

I was sat in class at school here in the UK, things were pretty boring that day and I was looking forwards to getting home to see some of my family who were coming to see us for a few days. I first learned that something had happened when my mum picked me up and I heard the radio, although reports were still a little unclear. Getting home and seeing the footage on the TV was shocking to say the least; I was both shocked at what had happened and saddened for the victims, but also concerned at what the US's reaction might be.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

speedbird747BA

Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:22 am

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 6):
but also concerned at what the US's reaction might be.

Are you joking? OK, I wont get political in this forum, so never mind.  Wink

I was at school. All I remember was going home and being panicked for the night.

Cheers,
Kyle
How long do I have to climb, up on the side of this mountain of mine?

dc9northwest

Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:25 am

I was at my grandpa's house, after returning from watching the Tennis Open. I turned on the TV and heard the news (without images). I also thought it was a Cessna. I believed it had to be foggy or bad wx/poor visibility, and blamed ATC. I then saw images and thought something had happened to the pilot.
Then I saw the second plane crashing, and I knew something was very wrong. I was 10 at the time, still remember it.

That was quite a bad day... I also remember thinking that there were very few people on both flights that hit WTC.

I didn't think anything about WW3, because I don't like thinking about war, at least when I would be involved.

andaman

Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:30 pm

Quoting Speedbird747BA (Reply 7):
Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 6):
but also concerned at what the US's reaction might be.

Quoting Speedbird747BA (Reply 7):

Are you joking? OK, I wont get political in this forum, so never mind.
Cheers,
Kyle

I had similar thoughts as Speedbird. After the first chock the next thought was where and when US will hit back and how will this all effect my life.

[Edited 2007-02-08 04:41:36]
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

Alitalia744

Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:05 pm

I was walking down 7th avenue (missed my stop and took the express to 14th street). Heard the AA bird flying low, looked up and watched it hit the North Tower.

Ran to work (Houston St) and went to the roof with my coworkers (we have a gym/outdoor track on the 19th floor) and watched the horror.

Something I'll never forget.
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

WestJetYQQ
Topic Author

Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:34 pm

Quoting WestJetYQQ (Thread starter):
i saw the link to the thread from 9/11, and i read through it for quite some time, until I realized how long it was. It has to be the longest thread in a.net history (correct me if I'm wrong), and coincidentally the last post on it was "This has to be the longest thread in a.net history."

I am going to correct myself here. I posted this only minutes before I saw the thread in 'Site Related' on the longest thread, along with 'The Official Super Thread', which had over 2000 posts!  Wink

---

I have mixed feeling about that day. By This I mean I'm glad I wasn't In NYC to witness these horrible events. Also, I beleive It would have been a very good Life experience, to be there on that day. (I know I should punch myself in the face right now for even thinking that)  Sad

Cheers
WS

bps3458

Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:42 pm

Was in my office on Long Island (Freeport / approx. 30 miles from Manhattan) and couldn't believe the news. After both towers came down our office was eventually shut at around 11:00 AM and I had to find rooms on Long Island for 3 German interns who lived in Manhattan but couldn't return as all public transport in to the city was stopped. Afterwards it took me nearly 5 hours to drive home (usually took 25 minutes). My wife was working in the Empire State Building at that time and it took her until 9:00 PM that night to get out of the city. From our house in Port Washington we could see the smoke rising for days. One of the most horrifying days of my life.

Cheers,

Peter

TinkerBelle

Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:22 pm

Was in the office in Roseville CA when my girlfriend called me asking me to turn on the TV. Went to the break room and couldn't believe what I was seeing. I tried accessing cnn.com, reuters.com..... name it and I couldn't. Spent two hours in the break room watching TV until we were asked to all go home. That's the one day other than Christmas day that everything was closed in Sacramento. You could not find an open restaurant. Heck, I almost ran out of gas looking for an open gas station later that afternoon.

It's funny I just started a thread about 9-11 when I saw the thread in the 3 000 000 posts but it got deleted. I went through the 400+ 9-11 thread and anger just started boiling all over me again. That was the saddest day of my life.
If you are going through hell, keep going.

Pe@rson

Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:24 pm

I was on the toilet - for the entire duration. What?! I was constipated, OK?
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

fxramper

Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:27 pm

Heard Matt Lauer on NBC Today Show, "Holy Shit, replay that video, did another a/c just hit?"

Was waking up to hit up my Biz Ethics class...

AlexPorter

Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:33 pm

Even though I was in school (9th grade) in the Central Time Zone, I didn't find out until the end of our first period, about five minutes before the first tower collapsed. We had started an important graded debate in that civics class before anyone knew anything, but technically about fifteen minutes after the first plane hit the tower. So for some weird reason, the debate was not stopped, although we thought it odd that the teacher's telephone kept ringing, including various references to him as "Mr. Popular" because it was so odd for there to be that many phone calls. Once our debate ended at the end of the period, I found out about both the WTC towers and the Pentagon at the same time when we were told by the teacher verbally at the end of first period and so the TVs weren't switched on in that class. So, we went to our second period classes. In my case, it was Physical Science. The TV was on in there. The first tower must have collapsed between classes, and when I first saw it on TV, the first tower was already gone. However, it was so smokey that I kept thinking that the view was such the first tower was directly behind the second tower from the angle of the camera. Once that second tower fell near the end of second period, we could see that neither tower was standing. Then I found out about the United 93 crash during third period Algebra. We did nothing but watch TV in that class.

Now here's what I don't get. Most people I talk to said that they did nothing but watch the news all day long from no later than half an hour after it started until the end of the school day. In my case, I only was able to see coverage for two periods of the day. Worst of all was that for our fourth period study hall, which started around 11 AM central, the teacher supervising it turned the TV off and said that studying was more important! As if we had been given homework all day long! And for my 5th, 6th, and 7th periods, we didn't watch any of it.

I did notice this: We were given 30 minutes for lunch. We typically spent 20 minutes eating, and then we'd go outside on the front steps for the last 10 minutes just to hang out. 9/11 was a nice day, and it was noticable that there weren't any planes since my high school is under the departure path from MSP toward eastern cities like Chicago and New York and a bunch of other cities.
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

fxramper

Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:37 pm

My folks were living abroad in Portugal and the only Non-Portugeuse in the office were my Dad and his office mate/co-manager Andy from the UK. The natives were laughing and rejoicing that it had happened. My Dad left immediately to come home (to Belem) and be with my Mom. Sad stuff...

I got harassed at EWR on a return CO, LIS-EWR flight that November by airport PD because I was too tan and appeared scared as a first time flyer... I'm told.  confused 

dc10bhx

Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:09 pm

I was at work when I took a phone cal from an Airline Rep who told me that a flight had gone into the WTC. It was a race in our office to get internet access covering CNN, BBC, Sky anyone we could get on line. We managed to get the radio going as well which gave a commentary about what was happening. We heard the second tower get hit and then the phones started ringing out with instructions from our bosses. We were told that nothing would be despatched out that day (and it was likely that no flights would be operating full stop).

The rest of the day was spent in a blur keeping up to date with whatever news was coming out of the US. A couple of people in our office were borderline shock cases with the rest of us in complete disbelief.

I do not think what ever else happens in my life will I forget my initial feelings when the towers were hit (not even how I felt after the birth of my kids).
I'm lucky my job is my hobby

Geo772

Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:44 pm

I remember the day quite clearly.

I was in class doing radar theory for my maintenance license at Heathrow. I had earlier watched Concorde depart on a return to service test flight and was settling into the afternoon's lesson. It was our mid afternoon coffee break that we heard. We were all stunned in the class, all wanting to know what had happened and whether it was an accident or not.
Needless to say class did not continue that day. As I was driving home the facts started to come in and I got home home just in time to turn on the TV and see the first tower collapse. The rest they say is history.
Flown on A300B4/600,A319/20/21,A332/3,A343,B727,B732/3/4/5/6/7/8,B741/2/4,B752/3,B762/3,B772/3,DC10,L1011-200,VC10,MD80,

OHLHD

Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:14 pm

I was at home and switching between channels and than I saw it and called a friend of mine and watched both while hanging on the phone as well.

Later that evening I played my first basketball game again after a severe ankle injury ( kept me out for 8 months). So I will remeber that actually very well since I worked very hard to get back on the court.  Smile

Elite

Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:45 pm

A friend called me up and told me to switch on the TV as I was going to go to New York pretty soon. I turned on and Bloomberg gave a live feed - it was unreal. The trip to New York was obviously canceled, and I can still remember seeing that on TV. Don't think I'll ever forget.

dtwclipper

Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:47 pm

It was a long day.

I had taken my partner to DTW that morning for a 7am AA flight to ORD.

I got home and made coffee, and was watching the "Today Show" when it all started.

I called him at the Admirals Club at ORD just as the second a/c hit. Shortly there after ORD was closed, and I had to drive to Chicago to pick him up and bring him back to Detroit as there were no rental cars or hotel rooms available.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

Jkw777

Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:59 pm

Just like most people, I was just finishing school for the day. I got picked up by my father who mentioned that a plane had hit the WTC. Being young I never really had an idea of the full scale of the disaster or even where the WTC was to be honest!

The scale of the disaster became quite apparent when I got home. My mother was glued to the TV in absolute awe. My father, my sister, Me and my Girlfriend all crowded into the lounge and watched the reports along with the footage being repeated over and over until the second one hit.

I realised I had a friend who was in NYC at the time on vacation. I wasn't sure what day she was to be returning either. This worried me a little but much to my relief she had left the day before and ironically enough spent her final evening at Windows of the World!

I will never forget this day, and I don't think anyone who wasn't around witnessing it will appreciate just how immense this was.

When my friend and I next saw eachother we embraced in a really nice 'I'm glad to see you' welcome hug! She was pretty torn up for a few months after returning, thankfully she turned out just fine!

- Justin
jkw6210@btopenworld.com or +447751242989

jamesbuk

Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:40 pm

I came out of school, (I was about 9) and my dad said, A plane has hit the twin towers, i said What are they? He said "Remember on that simpsons episode were they go to newyork to get homers car?, them" And i said "Oh" And whenwe got home we just watched the news the whole time.

Rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

thepilot

Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:41 am

On 9/11, I was just waking up (I live in Seattle), and my mom was talking to my dad. She said "Bruce, I don't know if I should tell them, it may scare them." When she got off the phone, she said "There's been a terrorist attack on the Twin Towers. They collapsed." We did not have television, so we listened to the radio for the whole time. I was almost 13, and I, like most seventh graders, did not understand the full implications of what had happened. I heard about United 93 and the Pentagon as soon as I got to school. Some parents came and took their children home for the day. I remember just sitting there, doing are work but in the back of our minds thinking about what had happened. I was not as knowledgeable in aviation as I am now, but I assumed these were very big planes. I remember thinking up different headlines for what the New York Times and other newspapers would say. A few days later, I remember seeing the falling man. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falling_man that image stayed with me.
From YVR

1stfl94

Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:13 am

I was at school when it happened but no one told us anything. I got home, started on my homework when my dad came home telling me that World Trade Centre had collapsed. Spent that whole evening glued to the TV,

S12PPL

Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:00 am

I over slept, actually. I woke up late, and my dad didn't bother to hassle me that day, because of what happened. I woke up and realized..."Shit...I over slept." Got out of bed, and went in to my dad's room to get a note. He was just watching the TV, and said "Terrorists attacked the World Trade Center."

I sort of thought "Oh...like the first bombing of it??" So I asked "How bad?" And he just pointed at the TV and said "Both towers are gone." Right then I thought "This must be a dream". That shocked feeling you get, sort of out of body. I showered, ate breakfast, and went to school a little after first period had started. The entire day, every class I was in, we watched the news. No school work was turned in, or lessons taught.

Last Sunday I was at an open house. The house is vacant since the wife was transfered for work. They left behind for some reason all of their newspapers from 9/11, and the weeks after. Reading through them was just as difficult today, as it was back then. Also, reading what they knew at the time, and how it differs from what we know now was interesting. It's funny, because they asked the school district how they would be treating this tragedy. They said "Classes will go on as normal. We will be at a higher state of alert, though. And safe rooms will be set up for kids that need to go to one for help getting through this." That statement couldn't have been farther from the truth, at least at my high school.
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

RAFVC10

Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:37 am

I were spending my holidays with my fiancee in Chicago. Our return to BCN were planned for September 12 but due to the 9/11 attacks, we stayed in the USA six days more until we got to arrive to Toronto.

From there, we took an AZ plane in Business Class (the two remaining seats) and finally, on September 19, we arrived home.
El dia que los gilipollas vuelen, no podremos ver la luz del sol!

shamrock350

Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:44 am

I was at school, we had been told nothing. I only saw what happened when I logged onto the BBC website at school and saw what had happened. I spent the whole day waiting to get home to see the news then I knew why the aircraft were so low flying into LHR. By the time I was home the towers had collapsed.
I watched TV the rest of the night

BMIFlyer

Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:19 am

I was at work, my train heading south from Newcastle to York and MAN.

My control room sent me a pager message "All Conductors on route to Manchester Airport. Advise passengers that all North America bound flights are cancelled UFN. Customers to contact airlines on arrival at MAN."

I rang up and asked what was going on, and they told me the terrible news  Sad

Needless to say, I went to NYC less than a month after 9/11 on vacation. Let's just say it was "different".

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

VTBDflyer

Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:27 am

I was at school in fourth grade when the reports came through, the teacher turned on the TV and we saw the second plane hit. They sent everybody home, I was a little worried because my dad was supposed to fly to New York from Milwaukee earlier that morning.

VTBDflyer
Fly Thai

swissy

Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:43 am

I was at YYZ/YHM airport working... they were the 3 longest & emotional days in my life......

buckieboy

Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:10 am

I was in Nantong, Jiangsu Province, on holiday from the UK. We'd just eaten at the Brazillian BBQ and had returned to my friend's apartment to have some malt whisky before bed.

We switched on the news more out of habit than anything else. Initially CNN/BBC World reported that the first tower attack could have been an accident.. Then we saw the second tower being hit and within minutes, it was reported as terrorism. Then, footage of the Pentagon and United 93. I maybe stayed watching the news up until 01:00 local; say 13:00 Atlantic time.

Other than the images, which did look as if out of a movie, my most vivid memories are the initial expressions of two world leaders of the day: When filmed at that school, Bush retained his trademark smirk; whilst Arafat looked completely devastated. Don't want to politicise this thread, though I did consider this to be very strange at the time (and now).

Anyway, a few days later, I took my first ever internal flight in China, SHA to PEK on MU, and I have to admit that at the time I felt China was one of the safest countries to be in.

Cheers

BB
I'm taking orders from bottles of wine

Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:35 am

I was in a hotel on the other side of the Hudson River facing the WTC and the Empire State Building. I had arrived, by airline, into KEWR the night before. Because of delays on Sept 10th, I landed after midnight instead of my planned time of 5:30pm. The view of the twin towers in the clear night air was fabulous as my flight made it's approach to land on RWY 22L and I also had a great view from my room before I closed the curtains to go to sleep. The original plan was to get up early, take the bus into Manhattan, and have breakfast in SoHo. Because of my late arrival, I decided to sleep in instead.

I awoke to a phone call from a hysterical fellow employee who asked if I was watching TV. No, I was sleeping. He starting babbling about planes hitting buildings and that I should look outside. I jumped up and flung open the curtains just as the South Tower began to collapse. You've all seen the image of the smoke and dust so I wouldn't even try to describe it again. But, I wasn't seeing this on video or TV; I was seeing this out the window with my own eyes. I pulled up a chair and was glued to the window for some time contemplating the humanity going up in smoke and all that must have been happening in and around those buildings.

I turned on the TV and learned of the attack on the Pentagon and of the order to empty the skies and of other possibly hijacked planes still aloft. I watched the North Tower fall as well from my vantage point in the hotel room. The remainder of the day was one of mourning and the eerie quiet never before experienced so near the Newark Airport and the Big Apple.

I flew the departure of one of the first planes to leave Newark later in the week. By then, they were calling Newark "Liberty Airport". I felt like doing a victory roll as I climbed into a clear blue sky and headed back to California.

Dornier328Jet

Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:28 am

I was in school at the time and I remember being let out early because of what happened.

My father was on the runway at EWR on his way to St. Louis in full view of the Twin Towers when the first plane hit.

That was truly a humbling day. It changed aviation. It changed the lives of many of us. And it changed the United States. My we never forget those who died that day and those that fought in the aftermath to preserve the freedom and security off the people.

[Edited 2007-02-13 00:32:05]

kstateinALB

Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:02 am

Well, I was sitting in my 6th grade classroom, and I can remember that while we were reading "The Outsiders", my teacher got a knock on the door, and the teacher next door talked with her outside. She walked back inside the classroom, clearly stricken by what she heard. She then told us about the situation, and being in the 6th grade, I was a little confused about what was going on. But, she then turned on the television we had in the classroom, and turned it on NBC and the Today Show. 5 seconds after she turned it on was when the South tower fell down. It's still in my mind, my teacher put her hand on her mouth and said "Oh My God!" loudly. Watching my classmates in horror, I saw one girl screaming, and everyone just stared directly into that television. It was one of the days that I will never ever forget.
ALB, DTW, ORD, MDW, MCI, JFK, LGA, LHR, MAD, MSP, IAD, DCA, MCO, ATL, CVG, TUL, MHK, PHL, PIT, DFW, DAL, CLT, IND, AUS,

MidEx216

Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:19 pm

I was in 8th grade math class. The teacher told us "Oh, I'm not supposed to tell you, but I guess a plane flew into the World Trade Center in New York" and sorta brushed it off. By her reaction, I figured it was something like a C172, and it just bounced off and fell to the street below (devastating, no less). Later on in the day, people were talking about a bombing of the Capital building, and then at the end of the day, we had an announcement about "these obvious acts of terrorism", and I was all confused. When my mom picked me up to go home, she told me the whole story, and I watched it the rest of that night on tv...

57AZ

Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:14 pm

Dead asleep in bed. Woke up later on and got the news-tragic but not unexpected. The terror connection was a big discussion at school as there were a number of us who fully expected a large scale event but virtually no one had any idea of the specifics. The fact that they targeted the WTC again was entirely expected-terrorists by their nature will not give up easily. They failed to knock it down in the early 1990s so a second attempt was a sure bet-it's just that no one had any idea of what they would try.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

LHRBFSTrident

Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:38 pm

On 9/11 I had arrived in SAT at 0100 Central time on HP from LAX via PHX and was awoken by my boss who was seated on CO's first a.m. service LAX-IAH - she told me she overheard a guy next to her get a cell phone call from NYC about the attack. They had taxied for take-off but were held by ATC, and the crew did not know (or didn't divulge) the reason for the ground hold - she told me to turn on the TV and find out what was happening...

Meanwhile, my brother was sitting at LHR T4 awaiting the boarding for his flight to JFK that morning - it was his first flight in a few years (going to meet his gf in NYC) and had chosen that service as our father was the operating captain. he saw the second plane hit the WTC on the news screen in the terminal.

Dad and the crew were already on board but the pax were never allowed to board as US airspace closed prior to the flight being called. Good job they weren't scheduled on an earlier flight as they would have ended up in Gander or Halifax for 3+ days...

And then there was the concern that there would be a second wave of attacks on flights that had originated earlier in the day from Europe - solved by closing US airspace; but the threat seemed so real in the hours/minutes before that was announced publicly.

AeroWesty

Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:42 pm

I slept through the entire thing. Had I stayed awake another 15 minutes, I would have caught the news of the first plane hitting, but I didn't wake up until it was about 2PM in NY. I turned on the TV and the cable channel I had had on the previous night was broadcasting a notice saying that due to the events in NY, they'd cancelled all programming for the day. I thought it was perhaps a blackout so I turned off the TV and went to make some breakfast.

When I signed onto AOL to look at the news, there was a very small headline that read "4 Hijacked Planes Crashed, World Trade Center Collapsed", and I could barely believe my eyes. I spent all day watching TV and chatting with friends online as to whether people I knew in NY were okay. A friend from Boston was flying AF from CDG to BOS that day, and her plane was turned around on the taxiway after U.S. airspace was closed. It took her nearly a week to get back.
International Homo of Mystery

andz

Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:45 pm

I was sitting at my desk in my office in Johannesburg, it was mid afternoon here. I heard on the radio that a plane had hit one of the towers; I immediately called my wife who works at SAA and told her. We went to the office bar and turned on the TV in time to see the second plane hit. That night we were out for dinner and the live TV feed was on in the restaurant, everyone was watching in almost total silence.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

iloveairbus

Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:26 am

I just arrived from JFK via AMS. It was afternoon (German Time) when I arrrived at home (BRE). It has been the first vacation I had with my then-new girl-friend, but we had different final destinations after that trip. She flew to NUE to see some old friends of her. The first thing to do at that time was to phone my grandma to tell her that I arrived in good shape.
She then told me that a plane had crashed into one of the twintowers. I thought that it sure was one of of those low flying helicopters, and at first did not think of a great story. While still talking to her, i switched on the TV to see something I never expected to see....the rest is known to us all.......
Some minutes later I phoned my girlfriend in NUE, asking her if she saw the News. She said "No, which channel?"
I said :" Choose one, all 35....." We´ve been on the observation-desk on the Saturday before all that.....

luketenley

Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:16 am

It was my senior year in high school. I was on a family vacation in Hilton Head, SC. I was still sleeping that early in the morning. I remember my uncle coming into my bedroom to wake me up so I could come out and watch what was going on. I remember him yelling "Get up and watch this. It's a history lesson." I immedialely ran out into the living room of the condo and sat down to watch it. I could not believe what was happening. I wanted to go wake my parents up but I couldn't take my eyes off the tv. After the first tower fell I decided that my parents should probably wake up. My mom was just in NYC a few months prior to this. She had been to the towers and to the restaurant at the top. She started balling as soon as she saw the tv. We just sat and watched tv most of the day. We finally ventured out in the late afternoon. Not many people out that day and the ones who were, walked in silence.
Pittsburgh International Airport lover

baguy

Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:48 am

I was at school, a little to young to understand in Year 2. It was about 11am when I first heard. The teachers were walking down the corridor telling one another that 2 planes had crashed into the twin towers. I didn't really understand until I got home and my Mum had the news on...... tombstone 

BAguy

aloha73g

Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:42 am

In Hawai'i it all obviously happened while we were sleeping, but the few who were awake spread the news pretty quickly....my uncle called us at about 5am (shortly after the 1st tower fell), and my dad woke me up by saying, "Two planes flew into the World Trade Center and it fell."

Like someone else said I never woke up so fast in my life. We watched TV (just replays by then) until it was time to leave home.

Very few people in Hawai'i saw the events unfold live.....99% of us saw the replays of it all after the fact.

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

WestJetYQQ
Topic Author

Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:16 pm

Quoting Aloha73G (Reply 45):
Very few people in Hawai'i saw the events unfold live.....99% of us saw the replays of it all after the fact.

Same here in BC, it was around 6am here. I was still snoozin'. It would have been much greater to see live, rather than 10 hours after the incident!

Cheers
WS

cjh2007

Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:35 pm

Actually,WestJetYQQ, i was in 5th grade as well when this happened...

It was my first year at the american interational school here in budapest, and a fall trip was planned for 9-11...

I first heard from it when i got home from school, at 3:30 pm, so 9:30 of your eastern time (i think)... My father called me up from his office saying something about some accident, or attack on NY and the pentagon... (dont remember clearly). I was slightly bewildered at first, because i wouldnt expect my dad to call me up for something like this (it seemed like nothing too serios to me while in the car). It was only when i got home and flicked on the TV that i realized why he had made such a fuss. Our school was closed for 2 days, and the trip that was planned the following day was cancelled. The hungarian government posted police in front of our school, and our campus was pretty much locked down for these two days. The "fall trip" ended up being re-scheudled to spring.

The aftermath of this whole 9-11 affair was basically more security guards being employed by the school, more cameras being mounted, stricter regulations on who was allowed to enter school premisis, such as vehicles having to get special allowances to pass the gate if not part of the faculty or student body. Visitor passes were also enforced, and we had frequent "intruder alert" drills, whereby classes were locked down, and we had to hide under window level and not talk...

So yeah... thats pretty much my experience of what had happended on that not that not so pleasent day.

Cjh
Is it the kerosene, or is it just me...

WestJetYQQ
Topic Author

Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:42 am

Quoting Cjh2007 (Reply 47):
we had frequent "intruder alert" drills, whereby classes were locked down, and we had to hide under window level and not talk...

Uhhhhh.....WOW. They must have some intense views on public safety in your country.

EWRandMDW

Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:20 am

I was in my office in a near suburb of Chicago working. Someone from a neighboring business ran in and told me to tune my radio to the all-news station. I did and that's when I heard a plane had flown into the North Tower. I locked up and drove home (about 10 minutes). I turned on the TV and a few minutes later saw the UAL plane hit the South tower. My son was home from college and we watched the whole drama unfold and wondered how long it would be until planes flew into the Sears Tower, the Hancock Building and the Aon Tower, all over 1000' and well-known landmarks, in downtown Chicago.