Continental123
Topic Author

Longest Flight W/out IFE?

Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:33 am

I was just wondering what the longest flight without IFE? Any ideas?

futuresdpdcop

RE: Longest Flight W/out IFE?

Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:38 am

I'm gonna take a guess and say a Southwest flight from the East Coast to the West Coast. I did 5 hours, 34 mins from BWI to SAN back in December.

floridaflyboy

Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:38 am

Well, NW doesn't have IFE on any domestic flights, so maybe some of their flights to Alaska could be contenders?
Good goes around!

coerj

Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:40 am

I believe the longest NONSTOP flight would probably be AS ORD-ANC

CXfirst

Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:40 am

When you say IFE, do you mean PTV, overhead video or audio?

-CXfirst

skibum9

Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:45 am

Man....I don't understand what the BIG deal is with IFE on this board? What ever happened to reading a book or something that will make you smarter when you have some down time rather than watching some mind-numbing dribble or playing some stupid game.
Tailwinds!!!

CXfirst

Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:49 am

Quoting Skibum9 (Reply 5):

I got to say, I can't sit and read a book for 4 or more hours, I need some other kind of entertainment.

-CXfirst

1337Delta764

Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:03 pm

Quoting COERJ (Reply 3):
believe the longest NONSTOP flight would probably be AS ORD-ANC

Doesn't AS have the DigiPlayers?
The Pink Delta 767-400ER - The most beautiful aircraft in the sky

Coal

Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:08 pm

Man....I don't understand what the BIG deal is with IFE on this board? What ever happened to reading a book or something that will make you smarter when you have some down time rather than watching some mind-numbing dribble or playing some stupid game.

checkmark 

I find that little by little I tend not to even turn the PTV's on, even when flying on airlines like SQ or EK, which offer great IFE.

Cheers,
Coal
Nxt Flts: MI RGN-SIN | SQ SIN-RGN-SIN | CX SIN-HKG-PVG | SQ PVG-SIN

WesternA318

Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:11 pm

Quoting Floridaflyboy (Reply 2):
Well, NW doesn't have IFE on any domestic flights, so maybe some of their flights to Alaska could be contenders?

NW DTW-ANC-OGG?

Or even looking out the window at the best view on the planet...

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 6):
I got to say, I can't sit and read a book for 4 or more hours, I need some other kind of entertainment.

Look out the window...
Check out my blog at fl310travel.blogspot.com!

SkyyMaster

Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:11 pm

Thank you! I was going to say this but you beat me to it. It's not as if people don't get enough TV and video games at home. I look forward to "quiet" time when flying, so I can read. Even when I fly on airlines that have IFE, I rarely if ever turn it on. I'll take my WN peanuts and a good book any day over a trumped up "experience" and a 10 inch video screen with "Everybody Loves Raymond" reruns.

COERJ145

Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:12 pm

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 7):
Doesn't AS have the DigiPlayers?

Yup, they do, for $10.

Viscount724

Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:35 pm

Quoting Coal (Reply 8):

I find that little by little I tend not to even turn the PTV's on, even when flying on airlines like SQ or EK, which offer great IFE.

I totally agree. I've been on four 10 to 12 hour nonstops in the past couple of months. I usually find that I spend a few minutes scrolling through the various movies and other video items available, seldom find anything that's worth watching, and then ignore the IFE system for the rest of the flight, except for occasionally checking the moving map/flight info display so you can tell where you are and the expected arrival time etc. I may listen to the music channels for a while but also rarely find much worth listening to. Very rarely there may be a movie worth seeing but that's the exception.

I have also noticed that in business class on many flights, quite a few passengers never even open their video screen or use their headphones for the entire flight. After the meal service, they'd rather sleep than watch the usual mindless drivel on the IFE channels.

The other problem with IFE systems is that they too often do not work properly, or the sound keeps cutting out, or only comes through one ear, or the headphone plug won't stay in the socket, etc etc. That's not a problem with a book, magazine or newspaper!

I know passengers seem to expect IFE systems these days, but what did they do in earlier days when flights took much longer and made multiple stops and there was no such thing as IFE?

JetBlueGuy2006

Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:49 pm

checkmark 

There have been so many years when there WASN'T IFE.

Also, IMO, why is IFE such a huge deal? Read a book, listen to music on an IPOD or CD Player, play a card game (and yes, there are many card games that can be played by only one person). We all found ways to pass time 10-12 years ago when their wasn't PTV's or XM Satellite Radio.

Ah, 10-12 years ago when we could fly DTW-MCO/TPA during the right window and get breakfast. Those days were days.

edit: spelling
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

TrijetsRMissed

Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:00 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 12):
I know passengers seem to expect IFE systems these days, but what did they do in earlier days when flights took much longer and made multiple stops and there was no such thing as IFE?

True, but think of how much better service was in all other aspects. That actually applies to most carriers just beyond 10 years ago. When you take into account how stingy carriers have become, particularly with meals, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect some form of IFE as compensation. The reality is the service the US industry provides nowadays is a joke. I'm just speaking from a consumer's standpoint, I don't mind reading a book onboard a flight.
There's nothing quite like a trijet.

WesternA318

Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:00 pm

and then ignore the IFE system for the rest of the flight, except for occasionally checking the moving map/flight info display so you can tell where you are and the expected arrival time etc.

Thats all I ever keep on if Im on a IFE-equipped flight.

but what did they do in earlier days when flights took much longer and made multiple stops and there was no such thing as IFE?

Up to the 1940's:
They chewed gum and tried to keep their lunches down

Up to the IFE craze:

They read, played games, chatted (non electronically), gazed out the window (my fave), or slept...
Check out my blog at fl310travel.blogspot.com!

ca228

Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:01 pm

I was on an Aeroflot transatlantic flight between Toronto to Moscow for 9 hrs. No audio or video inflight whatsoever. A lot of the pax at the back just started opening their duty free liquor and drank away. On the way back, SU had Russian movies in Russian dialogue only; no audio or english movies. So they might as well not have any inflight entertainment for the 10 hour flight back to Canada either.

CXfirst

Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:09 pm

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 9):
Look out the window...

Where I fly, the only thing to see outside the window is either sea or outback.... Additionally only 1/3 (737 + A320), 1/4 (A330) or 2/7 (767) of the seats have windows.

P.S. I usually fly PER-MEL or MEL-PER

-CXfirst

dc9northwest

Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:13 pm

Quoting TrijetsRMissed (Reply 14):
True, but think of how much better service was in all other aspects. That actually applies to most carriers just beyond 10 years ago. When you take into account how stingy carriers have become, particularly with meals, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect some form of IFE as compensation. The reality is the service the US industry provides nowadays is a joke. I'm just speaking from a consumer's standpoint, I don't mind reading a book onboard a flight.

Exactly: IFE could be traded for service and legroom... But nowadays, many flights seem to be offering no IFE, with 10 pretzels and 31-in pitch. And the strict security control. So...

BTW... IFE is needed only over water or on red-eyes IMO. Although a flight map would be much appreciated on all flights.