Jet2Leeds
Topic Author

AMS To Johannesburg, Not Yet, Advice Needed!

Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:56 am

Hey all, w
The deal is, I'm due a trip to South Africa when I garduate, hopefully in September. Basically, I want to fly to as many places within reason on my way to Joburg, I've been told that it would be worthwile flying from AMS to Dubai and onwards. What I want to know from all of you is the best route to take qua plane-wise etc etc and also cheap costs is very important. I had thought of AMS to Bole (Ethiopia) then to (Nairobi) and to Dar El Salaam and the on to JNB, but that is sentimental value, I used to live in Dar and Addis and was born in Nairobi. The thing is, this hopefully will be my GREAT trip, i will graduate, join a pilot school, even though i study intl law, which i hate now! Most of all, I want to go back to africa, especially ethiopia, haven't been back since I was eight, so 13 years. Well enough of the emotinal yada yada, I want the best, and cheapest routes to Johannesburg, RSA, with as many stops as possible. Jet lag is not a problem, I love flying!
If I ain't flying, I'm dying!
Mark
ps: I am about to start training to be a commercial pilot, unless the RAF accept me, any great life changing tips I may need are welcome...
PPS: I smoke, but will quit soon!, Yeah, I'm sure you've heard that all before but well. Whatever
Cheers all
Mark

BrianDromey

RE: AMS To Johannesburg, Not Yet, Advice Needed!

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:05 am

Hey Mark,

I would suggest your try KL and EK, on seperate tickets, obviously. Just trick around with these two for various times and dates and you should get a pretty afforadble fare.

If, as your name suggests you are in Leeds, may I suggest that you call into trailfinders, as they are very good at this sort of thing. I ahve found them to be significantly cheaper than the airlines own websites on occasion!

Hope this helps,
Brian.
Next flights: MAN-ORK-LHR(EI)-MAN(BD); MAN-LHR(BD)-ORK (EI); DUB-ZRH-LAX (LX) LAX-YYZ (AC) YYZ-YHZ-LHR(AC)-DUB(BD)

MH017

Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:43 pm

Would suggest you to consider KQ: have heard good stories about their 777 product (AMS/LHR-NBO), than continue with them to RSA...alternately, how about Namibia A340 from FRA/ LGW, via WDH to RSA ? Don't know their fares, though...
don't throw away tomorrow !

Leskova

Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:18 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 1):
I would suggest your try KL and EK, on seperate tickets, obviously. Just trick around with these two for various times and dates and you should get a pretty afforadble fare.

Not necessarily on separate tickets - KL and EK have triangle fares on offer, or at least they did not too long ago... at least from Germany. As far as I know, EK doesn't fly to AMS yet, right?

I've seen several itineraries going FRA-DXB-JNB-AMS-FRA, just as I've seen Asian routings with KL/EK combined.

Might be worth looking into...

Quoting MH017 (Reply 2):
alternately, how about Namibia A340 from FRA/ LGW, via WDH to RSA ? Don't know their fares, though...

Usually, their fares ex FRA are very good - last time I flew them was back in 2001, but at least back then, the service was extremely good.
Smile - it confuses people!