pacifica

How To Get Into The Aviation Business?

Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:09 am

First off all, I'd like to say that this is my first post on A.net. After finding this website about a year ago, I indeed registered an account but couldn't decide if I should actually purchase it until now. Like so many others, I read over these forums and now I've decided it's time I posted on them too. Big grin

Now to my real question...I was wondering what the best route is to get into the aviation business? Aviation is and has been one of the most interesting subjects for me even since I was quite young. Now growing up, I'm coming closer to making the key decisions in life (where to go for university, what to study, what do I want to do with my life?). Granted if I had the choice I'd easily choose to be the CEO of a multibillion dollar airline, but we don't all have that option do we?  Wink
I'd be very interested to work as either a pilot in an airline, or work more on the business side of the industry for a commercial airline or an airport as an analyst, scheduler, marketer, etc. So I guess what I'm asking is two things...

1. What is the best route to take for becoming a pilot? (Also, I have poor natural vision...would that be an issue?)
2. For the business side, what's the best way of making your way in? What type of degree should you get? What are the best universities for getting such a degree? (Keeping in mind I live in Canada, and would probably only be willing to go to a university or college within Canada or the United States)

Thanks in advance.