Legallykev
Topic Author

Transfer From London City To Heathrow

Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:00 am

What is the best way to transfer from London City to Heathrow? How much time does it take and how much of a hasstle is it?

toltommy

RE: Transfer From London City To Heathrow

Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:05 am

Looks like you can do it on public transport. There's a light rail line to LCY that connects to the tube. www.tfl.gov.uk will help you. Looks like maybe an hour and a half to make the journey.

KevinSmith

Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:07 am

Tubes man. I think it cost 4 pounds to go to LHR from the city center.
Learning to fly, but I ain't got wings.

Pe@rson

Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:09 am

I'd personally get the bus to the tube station and then use the tube all the way to LHR. It'd take about 1 hour and 15 minutes, possibly a bit less. Assuming you don't have an oyster card, a one-way ticket for the entire journey would cost £4 (if you have an oyster, you can get that reduced to £2 at particular times of the day).
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Feroze

Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:16 am

DLR from London City Airport to Bank (~ 20 mins); Central Line to Holborn (~ 5mins); Piccadilly Line to Heathrow (~50 mins) (All Westbound trains)

or

DLR from London City Airport to Bank; Circle Line to Paddington; Heathrow Express to Heathrow. (This option is more expensive and involves buying two tickets, so probably not advisable.)

As for hassles, there are escalators and stairs at both Bank and Holborn Stations so with heavy luggage can be tricky...

[Edited 2007-03-20 20:23:31]

seattleflyer

Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:35 am

Check it out...

http://www.londoncityairport.com/ind...page=lcyToGatwickStansteadHeathrow

This site shows getting to Paddington station to take the Heathrow Express, but if you're more budget minded you'll need to get yourself to the Picadilly line (takes longer though). Either way, read up on The Underground as TOLtommy suggests and make sure you understand how to read the tube maps - not only to get on the right line but also to make sure your going the right direction (as designated by the station name at each respective end). A little intimidating at first, but once you get the hang of it (happens quickly) it's alot of fun. Enjoy!

BDL2DCA

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:10 am

Try the TFL Journey Planner:

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk

Though it is coming up mostly with Heathrow Express services. You might be able to grab Heathrow Connect for cheaper

Another option might be to take the DLR to Bank, then the Central Line all the way to where it ends at Ealing Broadway and pick up Heathrow Connect. Still is two changes.
146,319,320,321,333,343,722,732,733,734,735,73G,738,744,752,762,763,772,ARJ,BE1,CRJ,D9S,D10,DH8,ERJ,E70,F100,S80

AsstChiefMark

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:16 am

Quoting Feroze (Reply 4):
As for hassles, there are escalators and stairs at both Bank and Holborn Stations so with heavy luggage can be tricky...

Tell me about it! Bank sucks in so many ways that I don't know where to begin. And Holborn is the paradigm of engineering lunacy.
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

helvknight

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:25 am

I had to do it last month when LCY was closed due to a AF flight blowing its tyres.

The way I did it was:

DLR LCY to Canning Town
Jubilee Line Canning Town to Baker Street
Bakerloo Line Baker Street to Paddington
Heathrow Express to LHR

Not the cheapest way but easy transfers when you have luggage: avoid Bank like the plague if you're pulling anything.

If you don't want to get nailed for the Heathrow Ripoff then change at Westminster from the Jubilee Line to the District Line (make sure you get the right branch - not Wimbledon or you'll have to change at Earls Court) then change to the Piccadilly at Hammersmith - cross platform transfer.

Hope this helps,

Rob

[Edited 2007-03-20 21:34:52]
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member - Groucho Marx

Pe@rson

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:33 am

Really isn't worth taking the Heathrow Express: you'll pay considerably more for your journey and it might, depending upon the connections, take even longer than the tube.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."