cvg2lga

Non-Rev Upgrade On British Airways, OAL

Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:15 am

hey everyone, I would like to get some feedback from anyone on getting F on OAL when non-revving any experiences and tips, ect. Thanks
Tchau
DA-
They don't call em' emergencies anymore. They call em' Patronies.

JGPH1A

RE: Non-Rev Upgrade On British Airways, OAL

Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:42 am

Don't hold your breath - especially with BA !
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

dutchjet

Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:44 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 1):
Don't hold your breath - especially with BA !

Per this weeks big new item, it does seem that BA offers gratis upgrades to dead passengers.

ARGinLON

Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:59 am

In my experience working for OA and nonreving on BA, I have been upgraded to Club World many times (long haul) in different circumstances:
Flight being full in WT/WT+ Aand available in CW.
Other times I got the upgrade after politely asking the crew upon boarding or the flight dispatcher at LHR.

Evan767

Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:04 am

Why can't airlines just make agreements with each other to let each others' OAL non-revs travel in C/F?
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

carduelis

Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:35 am

Quoting Evan767 (Reply 4):

Hardly likely when British Airways staff themselves do not have that facility, except once a year after 20 years of service!
Per Ardua ad Astra! ........ Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense!

n917me

Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:43 am

Actually two staff members of mine (we do not work for BA) were upgraded both ways from the States to LHR and back. They actually called them during boarding and asked for the boarding passes, the agents thought they were getting bumped and were handed Business Class boarding passes. This has been on at least two seperate occasions.

Jeremy

Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:45 am

I work for another airline and have flown BA twice, with an upgrade both times.

As for the original question, just dress nice and do not ask. If it happens, it happens. If not, be happy that you are at least on the plane.
You are now free to be sexually harassed and then terminated for filing a complaint--Southwest Airlines to me.

BCALBOY

Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:12 am

So far as upgrades to F are concerned , only very senior OAL staff e.g Board Members have any real chance of getting F and this would be arranged in advance between the respective airlines' Interline Departments.
Someone from a OneWorld partner travellling on a Duty Tkt with J priority has a slight chance of getting upgraded
if loads require but this would only happen if there were no eligible BA staff and is extremely rare.
Occasionally a senior BA Manager based overseas e.g Sales Manger ,Country Manager or Airport Mgr may auth his counterpart from another carrier to travel F either because he may be useful to BA in solving probs from time to time or because the BA Mgr is hoping when he wants to travel his counterpart will reciprocate and offer him an F u/g.

With general ID90,ID75 or ZED tickets there is nil chance that an OAL staff member will get FRCL.
( Remember that the diff between Y and F on BA LHL is vastly diff then between Coach and F on US domestic...the cost of providng the service is much more...they serve Champagne and Wines up there that cost £150-£200 a bottle ).

The good news is that BA policy is basically that an aircraft will not depart with empty seats ( barring weight probs) and leave staff behind .They will juggle passengers around between cabins upgrading BA staff according to entitlement and will upgrade staff 1 cabin above their entitlement if loads require. They will also move Commercials e.g J to F to make room for staff. If flight is open in all cabins you are normally only upgraded according to entitlement unless you work on Check-in when you might get J even if not entitled ...or if you are cabin crew or relative( e.g Wife of optg Capt .) or boyfriend of one of the optg Cabin crew you will probably get upgraded either by the Dispatcher or on the Taxi Out ). On several occasions travelling F , we pushed back with only 3 or 4 in F and by the time we got to the end of the runway there were 7 or 8 in the Cabin !!

Certainly being dressed well helps in being chosen for upgrade but this would normally only become a factor when upgrades are required ......i.e you won-t get upgraded from Y if it isn-t full no matter how you are dressed.
Asking at Check-in or on Board is likely to have an negative affect and some agents will comment you in DCS as 'NSFU' ...Not Suitable For Upgrade ...if you wind them up too much !

In general I have found BA pretty good . I understand that some carriers such as QF / SQ / VS will leave space availble staff behind rather than upgrade either commercials or other higher priority staff to Premium Cabins to make space avail in Y for the lowest priorities...maybe others can confirm this is so.

Best of luck on yr travels anyway !

kaneporta1

Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:56 am

I've been non-reving with OA and BA between LHR and ATH for over a decade now and here are my observations:

BA no longer accept ID00 tickets from OA, they had an agreement until 2002, but then it run out and hasn't been re-affirmed. BA still accepts OA ZED tickets.

BA will upgrade non-revs as long as there are no seats in Y and some seats in J. I've been upgraded three times so far to Club Europe.

OA will never upgrade non-revs. I've had my share of jump-seat rides and also a few cockpit rides because Y was full, even though J was almost empty.
I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather, not terrified and screaming, like his passengers

Evan767

Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:55 am

Quoting Kaneporta1 (Reply 9):
OA will never upgrade non-revs. I've had my share of jump-seat rides and also a few cockpit rides because Y was full, even though J was almost empty.

DL would upgrade any OA non-rev if that were the case. DL is very lenient in non-rev upgrades, if available...

BCALBOY

Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:10 am

Quoting Evan767 (Reply 10):
DL is very lenient in non-rev upgrades, if available...

My experience on DL was that they optd a policy of only upgrading if Loadfactor in J didn-t exceed 75-80% ??

Jeremy

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:25 am

Quoting BCALBOY (Reply 8):
you won-t get upgraded from Y if it isn-t full no matter how you are dressed.

We did. I guess we were real lucky.
It was on BA 178 JFK-LHR.
Y class was not full, and in fact the aircraft only had about 50 pax on board total.

The other time was on a PHL-LHR flight where Y was not full.
You are now free to be sexually harassed and then terminated for filing a complaint--Southwest Airlines to me.

LHR777

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:32 am

Basically, if you're an agent (or at a similar level) at any other airline, you will NOT get upgraded to BA First. It just ain't going to happen. You may be lucky to get J or W, but BA staff will always have priority over you.

However, remember this - BA DO upgrade OAL employees. OAL don't tend to upgrade us very much though! (Subtle hint there to all OAL gate agents...! )

Lan1981

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:58 am

BCALBOY seems to have summarised the procedure pretty well; however (and as BCALBOY and others have said) the question of whether a non-BA employee gets upgraded does depend on lots of other variables besides the official criteria - staff on-board may upgrade you as a courtesy, if they so wish - I was upgraded on a Virgin flight purely because the in-charge crewmember said that whenever he flew with BA, the staff always did their best to find him a nicer seat...etc etc......

At the end of the day, after having been bumped off so many flights, any seat is a good seat!

Pope

Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:26 am

Pardon my ignorance, but what is OAL?

Thanks.

Mike
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

Jeremy

Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:51 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 15):
but what is OAL?

Other Airline

Evan767

Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:18 am

Quoting BCALBOY (Reply 11):
My experience on DL was that they optd a policy of only upgrading if Loadfactor in J didn-t exceed 75-80%

I have not heard about that. DL will upgrade all non-revs including buddies in J in order of their senority date even if it's the last seat. If it is an OAL non-reving I don't think you are 'suppose' to upgrade, but I hear from many OAL people that they get upgraded. Check nonrev.net for more non-rev information and a forum that needs to grow.

Pope

Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:42 am

Quoting Jeremy (Reply 16):
Other Airline

Thanks.

Mike
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.