kelebek

BA Check-In-Luggage Weight Limits?

Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:23 am

Hi!

I'll go from MUC via LHR to CCU with BA next week.
As I'm travelling Europe/World Traveller I may check-in one piece of
luggage at a maximum weight of 23 kg.
That's what I found at the BA-Website.
Do you know if there are any tolerances?
(Like OS's limit is 20 kg but you don't have to pay for the extra-weight
unless you've got more than 25kg).
Well maybe some guys might ask why I need more luggage -
the reason is, I'm going on a trekking tour trough bengali-area for four weeks,
so I just need so much stuff there.

Thanks for your help,
Kelebek

PS: Is there a chance to count the weight from several passengers together?
(had that once with LH where a friend hat much too much but me and another guys didn't have more than
5kg so we just could count all together and finally had less than 60kg (3x 20kg), so it was fine.

aerorobnz

RE: BA Check-In-Luggage Weight Limits?

Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:23 am

Quoting Kelebek (Thread starter):
PS: Is there a chance to count the weight from several passengers together?

I think they should pool your luggage. Most decent airlines do.

As far as I am aware BA stick rigidly to 23kg and charge for anything above that. If you had a BA flight number on a QF aircraft you would get 25 because that is what QF allow.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

soups

Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:21 am

BA is now very strict with their weight allowance 23.1Kg and they wont allow your bag.
few years ago on BA BEY-LHR i had 23.5kilo and was told to pay for the 500g i simply took a book out of the suitcase.
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

Viscount724

Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:53 pm

BA baggage rules in their website state that for travel completed by September 30, 2007 they will continue to accept a bag weighing up to their former maximum weight limit of 32 kg. or 70 lb.

Also note thatt BA no longer has any maximum weight limit for the one permissible piece of carry-on baggage provided it's within the acceptable dimensions of 56 x 45 x 25 cm (22 x 18 x 10 inches). The only weight restriction is that you have to be able to lift it into the overhead bin without assistance.

aerorobnz

Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:25 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 3):
he only weight restriction is that you have to be able to lift it into the overhead bin without assistance.

That's an absolute disgrace to the airline industry. hopefully it will only take one lawsuit to sort out again. I remind you of the lady that was killed on board a MH flight when another passenger's 14kg bag fell on her head....
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

kelebek

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:27 pm

hej guys
thanks for your help!
I guess the 23kg-limit BA introduced is also a medical thing (think of the guys loading all those
heavy things into the AC).

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 3):

Also note thatt BA no longer has any maximum weight limit for the one permissible piece of carry-on baggage provided it's within the acceptable dimensions of 56 x 45 x 25 cm (22 x 18 x 10 inches). The only weight restriction is that you have to be able to lift it into the overhead bin without assistance.

That's interesting! Didn't know that -thanks!
The problem is still that (at least here in EU) you may not put any gel/liquids/cremes to your carry-on-luggage. (expect those which fit into the little transparent bag)
So things like shower gel etc. can't be taken there...

Quoting Soups (Reply 2):
BA is now very strict with their weight allowance 23.1Kg and they wont allow your bag.
few years ago on BA BEY-LHR i had 23.5kilo and was told to pay for the 500g i simply took a book out of the suitcase.

now i'm at 23.3 kg - i really hope that will go fine..
I heard that they are normally a little bit more tolerant if you're an exchange student (like me).
So I'm also wearing that Rotary-Blazer with the pins and stuff.

Once a check-in agent told me that the scales are actually NOT connected to the booking unit.
(which was totally new to me). So according to her the scales may show 30 kg, and as long as the agent still types 23 kg into the booking-system you will not have to pay anything extra. So it seems that it really also depends on the agent.. (and on you how you treat the agent for sure).

But I'm wondering about the max. weights in a plane then - there might me much more than the system "knows" then. but actually it seems not to matter too much as i am just 60kg myself and some other guys may've got 110kg, so if it would be so close to the limits they would have to put every passenger on the scales...

Kb

kelebek

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:32 pm

sorry for drifting off-topic a little bit..
but can anyone tell me if there is a chance to look up the meal we'll get on BA147 (31MAR)?
gonna be a nice flight - 30 rotary youth exchange students will be in WT  Wink
kb