YXDFan

Tips For Scoring An Upgrade On BA?

Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:46 am

Hey folks!

I'm flying transatlantic for the very first time on Saturday night (BA84 YVR-LHR). Being a rather tall fellow, i'm not sure how cozy a Y-class seat will be for a 9 hour flight. Any tips on how to score an upgrade with BA?

Lan1981

RE: Tips For Scoring An Upgrade On BA?

Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:53 am

99% chance of no upgrade; the airline will only upgrade commercial passengers if there is a business need i.e. overbooking, denied boarding compensation etc - even in those cases, only those tagged as SFUs (suitable for upgrade) will usually be considered - these pax are usually top-tier members of BA's FFP, or of a Oneworld FFP, or other full-fare pax.

The only other way is to pay an upgrade fare at the airport...sorry.

zeke

Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:53 am

Quoting YXDfan (Thread starter):
Any tips on how to score an upgrade with BA?

Pay for a J or F ticket seems to work.
We are addicted to our thoughts. We cannot change anything if we cannot change our thinking – Santosh Kalwar

hb88

Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:07 am

BA very very rarely upgrade. Try and get an econ bulkhead seat if you can.

Have a nice flight - BA might not have the most generous seat pitch, but their service and FAs are the business.

highpeaklad

Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:35 am

Make sure you use on-line check in at T-24hrs to try and get the best seats, if you leave it till your at the airport they'll all be gone.

Chris
Don't try to keep up with the Joneses - bring them down to your level !

falstaff

Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:26 am

Quoting Zeke (Reply 2):
Quoting YXDfan (Thread starter):
Any tips on how to score an upgrade with BA?

Pay for a J or F ticket seems to work.

Always a sure fire way to a good seat.

I don't know about BA, but most airlines don't just give away upgrades to anybody. I will occasionally get a an upgrade on NW, but never (well once) out of DTW). I travel between DTW and STL a lot and I have gotten to know several of the STL employees over the years. Sometimes they will upgrade me because I am a regular customer, they see me monthly, and I always ask. I never expect it, but it always a nice surprise.

I always like to get an exit row, for the leg room. Maybe that would be easier to get.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503