Yellowstone
Topic Author

Where Did Your Airline Loyalties Come From?

Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:18 am

Personally, my favorite airline is United Airlines. My parents, for whatever reason, used Mileage Plus Visa cards, so we would always fly on United so we could use the free tickets. Eventually, I guess I came to associate the fun of flying with United more than with other airlines, and I still feel some degree of loyalty to them.

So how did you become loyal to your preferred airline?
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

AeroWesty

RE: Where Did Your Airline Loyalties Come From?

Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:50 am

Quoting Yellowstone (Thread starter):

When I was young there was no question which airline a family member would fly. PA international, TW domestic, UA to Hawaii, and PSA intra-California.

TWA became my favorite airline, and I used them the most when I began to fly myself, but since they've been gone (which I'm still a bit nostalgic about), I've no real favorite. Get me where I'm going without much fuss for a reasonable fare, and you've got my business.
International Homo of Mystery

WestJetYQQ

Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:06 am

This Amazing Video.

Cheers
Carson
Will You Try to Change Things? Use the Power that you have, the Power of a Million new Ideas.

aerorobnz

Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:15 am

My airline loyalty came about because of the Star Alliance. At AKL (And NZ in general) we do not have much of a choice it's either QF/Oneworld or NZ/Star. Naturally because I wanted the most opportunity to earn and accrue I chose the Star Alliance using the TG Royal Orchid Plus Scheme as that gave me the most status, for the longest time.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

ag92

Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:45 am

I am one of the lucky few to have SQ which I am most loyal to during family vacations. Before my father was a PPS so he naturally only took them wherever he went, but when that disappeared he tried out Air Sahara and Jet Airways both which he didnt particularly like thus we continue to fly SQ.

Personally I am trying to get my dad away from choosing SQ as its service standards have declined

Regards
Ag92

I basically only travel SIN - DEL - SIN, with the occasional trip elsewhere

I never get any miles for traveling on SQ though as we always buy the best possible, one more reason why I am asking to go with another airline

TSS

Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:02 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 1):
Get me where I'm going without much fuss for a reasonable fare, and you've got my business.

Agreed, but to that I would add "with a flight schedule that matches my preferred travel schedule".

AA has gotten the vast majority of my business because they consistantly meet these criteria for me.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

NWADC9

Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:44 pm

My mom worked at NW, so we had travel benefits, letting us fly for free. Can't beat free! Big grin So, all we flew was NW, with the occasional KE/OZ on a Korean domestic flight. Ironically, ever since she quit and we lost the travel benefits, I haven't flown NW since. Mainly, it's because of price, since I, myself, buy my own tickets, and flying NW isn't worth the price compared to, say, CO. Well, I've been wishing to fly on other airlines besides NW, and I guess it came true!  Wink
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard

United767

Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:33 pm

Ever since my first flight on UA back in 1992 I have always been a United fan. When ever we would travel my dad would always use jis Milage Plus miles on UA so I "grew up" flying UA. I now work for United and am proud of it.
I wish UA flew mainline to MYR, that way you wouldn't be stuck in a smelly Saturn for 12 hours.

ERJ135

Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:11 pm

I have no loyalty what so ever. When I fly I look at the airlines that fly where I need to be and make a choice. I have flown with many carriers, some good some very ordinary and some with vastly differing standards. Past experiences can help to make these choices easier.
I remember when the DC-3 was new!

andz

Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:14 pm

My airline loyalty is driven by the oldest motivation of all... greed  Smile

My wife has worked for South African Airways since 1978 so when I fly with them I am putting money in my own pocket!
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

IAHFLYR

Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:30 pm

My loyalty with CO began when I arrived in the Houston area in the early 80's (yeah I know before most of you were even born) and CO had the only non-stop service from IAH-FMY (no RSW). I flew other airlines to other places for a few years. Working at IAH and living in the north part of Houston I got to know quite a few CO employees....they made it through a bankruptcy, not once but twice, started to modernize their fleet, had employees who loved working with each other and their product also dramatically improved.

In the mid 90's I began to actually start to use the OnePass program to my benefit and got onto the Elite levels which I've been since '97, the OnePass program fits my travel needs very nice and the upgrades, service, and President's Club are excellent, again for me and my family!

With non-stop or at the most 1 stop from IAH to almost anywhere in the world, with one of the most modern fleets in the industry, getting more B738's and delivery of the B739ER in 2008, the winglet program ongoing, and the B787 showing up soon CO will continue to keep my business.

WORK HARD FLY RIGHT
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

curticool

Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:11 am

my grandfather was a Delta pilot and is retired from Delta  Smile
and now I fill his shoes in Hot-lanta  flamed 
N102DA

ACDC8

Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:19 am

My loyality with KLM is simple, they've always offered me a great product, great service, treated me like a person, all for a reasonable price. Who wouldn't stay loyal to that? They worked hard for my business, so they deserve it.

Also, having dual citizenship, I have two flag carriers (AC and LH), so I am also very partial and loyal to these airlines.

To be honest, I couldn't just choose one of these three.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

hoppe777

Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:45 pm

Singapore Airlines are my chosen Carrier.
Even if it means paying a little extra ill do it, Everything about them is good, perhaps maybe their 747 fleet is a little aged but it wont be to long before the A380 is introduced into service. Being part of the star alliance is also a big factor nowadays, i can go practically anywhere with the Alliance and still accrue mileage points for the SQ.
Sometime in easter 10 .... yet to book :)

1stfl94

Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:49 pm

My loyalty is to my wallet!!! I'll go with whoever's giving me the cheapest fare

CXfirst

Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:07 pm

As I am Norwegian, I travel SAS much and as they are Star Alliance, I have always preffered them. Now that I live in Perth, Australia, my favourite carrier to fly back to Norway is with SQ (TG usually cost more over the net). So, now I am loyal to SQ.

This doesn't mean that I do not travel with overs, I had to try out EK, CX, BA (and such).

Quoting Ag92 (Reply 4):
Personally I am trying to get my dad away from choosing SQ as its service standards have declined

I agree that service has declined quite a lot, but it still beats other airlines by much in my perspective.

Quoting AerorobNZ (Reply 3):
I chose the Star Alliance using the TG Royal Orchid Plus Scheme as that gave me the most status, for the longest time.

checkmark 

-CXfirst

fantasticflyer

Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:48 am

My loyalty to Delta began years ago as a kid. That was the main airline we flew everytime we traveled...and since we've never had a problem with them they were always our number one choice

MidEx216

Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:35 am

Well, it's easy to say that Midwest is the hometown favorite, which is part of it, but my family has always loved them. My mother always says "There's a reason they call it the Best Care in the Air". I never flew that much, so I took her word for it, Then I finally got to fly them (my first time flying them was when I was 2. Obviously, I can't remember), and I totally agreed. And it's pretty fair to say that I'm not the only one who thinks they're extraordinary. Though, I wouldn't go as far as to say the best. I haven't flown on NEAR that many airlines  Wink

planeguy727

Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:45 am

my loyalties have changed...

growing up overseas it was based on US Flag carriers - usually PA
In the USA it has often been based on strongest carrier ie
TLH - DL
MCO - AA, then DL (not so much anymore)
PBI - DL
BWI - DL (mostly due to trips to ATL)
SYR - US
NYC - US (only to maintain preferred status)

PG727
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

dimoko

Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:15 am

i like continental mostly because i am from cleveland.
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." -- Douglas Adams

burnsie28

Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:29 am

Northwest, flown them the most since 1989.

LDIkaros

Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:29 pm

I usually fly UA within the US because it has the most flights and best connections from SFO. Internationally I fly either JL (to Asia) or LH to Europe. I like these two airlines because of their service and large networks.

Otherwise I take whatever is most convenient.

zrs70

Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:22 pm

For years, DL was my carrier of choice. I loved their service. This was back in the 80's-90's, when they were known for exceptional customer care.

Still, I would have continued with them. But things changed when my partner came into the picture. He hates to fly, and DL didn't service LAX-BOS nonstop, a common city pair for us.

So I switched to United. I have been 1K with them for years now.
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

LoungeLover

Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:30 pm

Even though I'm German and French, my favourite airline is Qantas.
I loved the kangaroo on their tail since I can remember. Simple, beautiful.

And now my girlfriend is Australian - coincidence??

The first time I flew them confirmed what I dreamed of - cool staff, great interiors and didgeridoo music on the IFE.
And they fly to such a great place on one of the most exciting routes in the world: the kangaroo route!

RedTailDTW

Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:31 pm

Ive been flying Northwest since I was two and have never had any troubles with them so theyve always been my favorite. Well and also they have a HUB in Detroit.

Mason
Airlines Flown: AA, CO, HP, MQ, NW, RP, UA, US, WN, YX / Aircraft Flown: 737-200/300/700/800, 757-200/300, 777-200, A319/A320/A321, DC-9-30/50, DC-10-40, ERJ 140/145, E170, MD80/83/90

FlyKev
Crew

Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:36 am

I'm loyal to VS as they were my first ever transatlantic carrier, and they really stood out as something amazing. Fine I was young then, but I actively look at their prices first and will pay a little bit more to travel with them.

Kev.
The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only

CO7e7

Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:57 am

I'm loyal to CO because:

1) Great Connections. (considering that i live in the CLE area)
2) Exceptional Customer Care. (Both at airports and over the phone)
3) Excellent In-flight service.
4) Never had any sort of problems with them.

CO has been the ONLY airline i've flown since 2001.

ebs757

Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:39 pm

I fly American because it has been in the family for a pretty long time. My moms an F/A, uncles a Captain. Its a great feeling to be part of the family  Smile Heres a video I made-
Viva la Vida

bingo

Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:34 pm

My first job out of high school was working as a Marine Electrician Apprentice in the boatyards of New Gretna, New Jersey. I worked in the nasty sun from 6am to 6pm 6 days a week. After several months of doing this, I decided to earn my sea legs. I started taking the boats on delivery runs. This was part of the sea trial process. I was responsible with (trying to) fix things that broke while at sea. When we reached our destination I was given a small cut of the delivery fee and a ride to the airport. It was up to me to find my way back to the yard. Freedom and Responsibility…everything this greenhorn wanted! (HA)

The day we hit port on my first trip, I turned in my punch list and headed for the airport. I found myself with very few options of getting home. Most airlines were booked and the cheapest fare I found took all my money from the trip. Then I called Continental. A really nice lady took great care of me. She enrolled me in their Frequent Flier program gave me some miles to start and then sold me a ticket for 400 less than the other guys. The icing on the cake was the meal on board. I was crammed into the window seat of a Mad-Dog but man did it feel good to be on my own.

Since that day, great service and great prices have been mutually inclusive realities when I take to the skies with Continental. I’ve since left the salty seas for a cushy 9-5 in a nice air conditioned office but I haven’t traded my airline of choice. I may not be their best customer but I’m definitely their biggest fan.

Cheers,
Bingo

airtrainer

Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:32 am

A few years ago I won a trip to the US and the flights were on UA. I had a few Flying Dutchman points at that time but enrolled with Mileage Plus and tried to stay loyal to UA and Star Alliance after that...
Life is short : eat dessert first !

EWRandMDW

Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:33 am

When I was living near Newark, NJ my loyalties ran between UA and PI and later CO. UA had a great schedule to Chicago and west and PI to the south. On top of that, both airlines actually referred to Newark as NEWARK in their schedules and I very much appreciated that. When PE and later CO developed their hub at EWR I tended to go with them.

Now that I live near Chicago, I'll almost always fly UA if I have to go out of ORD and WN if I fly from MDW. The exception to my MDW rule is if I fly to New York/Newark (God, I hate the way that sounds!) when I take CO.

HT

Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:21 am

Where Did Your Airline Loyalties Come From? 

This is mainly the result of a selection process in which a number of airlines disqualified through a lacking product.
Some others either are no longer around (ceased operations) or left my homebase HAJ.

Only recently it has come into effect, that I am a share-holder of the two airlines I fly most (AB and LH), but not exclusively.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

sandrozrh

Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:52 am

#1: Because we can, and always could, nonrev on SR and now LX

#2: National pride, i guess

Simple really Big grin

DALelite

Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:52 am

Delta was introduced to me in 1988. My parents and i flew from TPA-LAX-SFO-TPA for a family reunion. I started to love their service. Plus they've offered Stand-Bye Passes at that time for travellers from overseas. I travelled about ten times on those passes and had great fun!!
Whenever it is possible to fly DL i go for it. I still think that they have great professional , yet charming employees.

regards: DALelite
They loved to fly and it showed..

retrolivery

Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:38 am

From when I was 11 until 17, my family and I flew Delta at least twice a year to ATH from DCA (via JFK) in BusinessElite. My stepfather would fly Delta BE on his frequent business trips to India and France, and my mother flew Delta almost exclusively to visit relatives in Atlanta and San Francisco. I grew up on Delta, and was an silver medallion by the age of 16. However, once I began to book my own travel I found that United was often the more convenient and inexpensive choice (IAD being my home airport) to make my frequent transcontinental hops. Thus I began to slowly shift my loyalties towards UA.

However, now that DL is making a rollicking comeback from chapter 11 and they have launched service to what is now my second home airport (PSA) my loyalties are slowly shifting back.

Sorry UA, but when you live in Florence, FCO just doesn't cut it!
A3, AA, AC, AI, AK, AM, AP, AZ, B6, BA, CO, DL, EK, EY, FL, FI, FR, KL, KM, LH, MA, MH, MS, OA, OK, OS, SR, TA, TG, U2,

fbgdavidson

Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:21 am

My loyalty primarily stands with BA, especially when I lived in the UK, those of you who've read my trip reports that probably won't be much of a surprise! I grew up in England (although now live in the US) and from the late 80s when my father started travelling heavily with work I began flying BA. He was working every other week in Orange County, CA and amongst his other trips was flying about 400,000 miles per year on BA for over 10yrs. As he was regularly out there we used to fly and spend a week with him, anywhere from four to eight times per year and he'd book us on BA. Mostly for the great product and schedule but also because he preferred to help support a British airline over say AA or one of the other airlines flying the route at the time. We did sometimes fly BA to JFK spend a couple of days there and onwards on AA to LA but more often than not it was BA non-stop.

When I started flying on my own money about four to five years ago I stayed loyal to BA, I thought they had a great international product and we were always treated very well when flying with my mother and brother.

BA from London has a pretty much unparalleled schedule, there was rarely a place I wanted to get to either in Europe or the US (my two primary destinations), I also found the Executive Club very rewarding and continue to this day to keep my loyalty to BA across the pond.

[Edited 2007-04-28 21:22:20]
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

ShyFlyer

Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:58 pm

Quoting ERJ135 (Reply 8):
I have no loyalty what so ever.

checkmark  The airline that gets me from point A to point B safely and for the least amount of $$ gets my business.
I lift things up and put them down.

Avianca

Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:00 pm

my loyality comes from lack of money  Smile the airline that have the cheapest price get my business....
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

777ER
Crew

Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:11 pm

For me, it depends on airline service and quality, and NZ takes the award for local flights, USA its UA for the same reasons. I will take both NZ and UA when ever possible

PlymSpotter

Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:00 pm

Initially almost all the flights I would take were between the UK and Spain, my family had grown sick of flying the various charters and other scheduled airlines which would pop up one year and die the next, so we pretty much stuck and became loyal to IB. Now though, after all the cutbacks, especially as they are closing down their mainstream base at BCN, that loyalty has pretty much gone, instead flying whoever is cheapest or booking with IB, but ensuring we fly only on BA to BCN and then Air Nostrum to the final destination.

My main loyalty now is to KLM and through them other Skyteam members. I live over 250 miles, or a 4 hour car ride/six hour coach journey from LHR, to which there are no flights from my local airport; PLH, so the ability to fly KLM from such a wide variety of regional UK airports such as BRS and then connect through AMS to almost anywhere in the world saves a good deal of highly boring road travel. Through that I'm also pretty loyal to the local airline Air Southwest, frequently using them to connect to and from KLM flights at BRS.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

vatveng

Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:16 am

Growing up, my family always flew Piedmont. But that loyalty did not automatically transfer over to US Airways... I flew them for the first time in about 1997 and didn't fly them again until 2004. Lately I have been flying US more often because my sister lives in Pennsylvania.

Today my loyalty is split between the three airlines that serve my home airport of PHF... FL, US, and DL. I am a member of SkyMiles, Dividend Miles, and A+ Rewards. I don't fly often enough to see any kind of elite level even if I only flew one airline, so I might as well freeload off all three  Big grin

jafa39

Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:59 am

I fly Air NZ to avoid the food on QF!
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

LAXdude1023

Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:13 am

Its seems like many people will be loyal based on where they live and who offers the most service from their home airport. Living in Los Angeles, its harder to choose a particular airline. No one really dominates they way they might at airports like ATL, MSP, or DFW. Over the years, Ive been Platnium on AA, Primier on UA, and Silver on CO. I used to fly AA all of the time because both my parents grew up in Waco, Texas (just south of DFW) and AA was the only Airline that flew to ACT for the longest (now they have CO too). Then I went to College in Ft. Worth and so AA was once again the obvious airline to choose because of my many trips to/from DFW.

When I moved back to LA, my parents moved to Houston. At first I would fly WN into HOU, but honestly (and I say this with all due respect to WN) I couldnt really take to them. Then I about a year ago, I flew into IAH with CO and I have to say, Im hooked!!! IAH is a great airport and CO has the best service ive experianced in North America. This coupled with the fact that there is a move for me from LA to Houston on the horizon makes CO my airline of Choice!!!
It is what it is...

AirCop

Fri May 04, 2007 9:53 am

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 42):
ts seems like many people will be loyal based on where they live and who offers the most service from their home airport.

When I lived in Crescent City, you had a choice of one airline, United..so United became my primary airline, but in Phoenix we have a choice, so I really don't have a real favorite, who ever can get me there at an reasonable rate and decent schedule wins..

When I lived in the Bay Area, internationally it was Pan Am because my grandfather flew for them. Now days, I try to avoid US carriers while traveling overseas.

767er

Sat May 05, 2007 1:25 pm

I fly Air NZ and have done so since I was a kid - many years ago. Great airline with superb staff - it has really improved it's 'product' over the last couple of years with a fantastic IFE.

The other plus is that Air NZ is Star Alliance.Now that i have acheived Gold I enjoy all the benefits. Lots of crtcism that there FF isn't the best but it suits me just fine especialy the 2 free comp upgrades a year.
Aircraft flown:F27,Viscount. EMB120, SAAB340, ATR70, 737-200.737-300,DC8, DC10,747-100,747-200,747-300,747-400, A320, A3

Delta767300ER

Thu May 10, 2007 9:11 am

Being from Atlanta, my family always flew Delta because it was convenient. I was exposed to Delta at an early age and enjoyed flying them. I prefer Delta's route structures, fleet, fares, ect. to any other airline. I have also never had a bad experience while flying Delta Air Lines.

-Delta767300ER

san747

Thu May 10, 2007 11:59 am

I look at flying from a spotting and price standpoint- that means for me, if I can fly a widebody during my trip for a decent price, I will attempt to try to score that itinerary.

Because of that, I usually look at UA and DL first when I fly between SoCal and NYC/ALB. If there's no good deals, then I look at AA, US, and CO. NW I almost never look at because they're always expensive when I look at them, and occasionally I check out WN, but it's hard sometimes to score their best deals if you're not on the ball, so so far, I've never flown with them.

That given, I'm open to anyone... I'd love to try YX, FL, or VA (Virgin America) if the situation calls for it.
Scotty doesn't know...

JoeCanuck

Thu May 10, 2007 5:08 pm

I fly Singapore whenever I can. I've had a chance to fly on many domestic and international airlines and, without a doubt, the best goat class flying experiences were with Singapore. The planes are nice, Changi airport is my favourite but it's the service that really makes the difference.

I have had over a dozen long haul flights with Singapore and I have been treated so well by every single member of the staff and crew. I can't possibly rave about them enough. I've never had a bad flying experience with them. Zero complaints.

It's all about the service. Considering airlines are essentially service companies, I wish more would remember that.
What the...?