swiftski

What Sells Best - Business Class By Day Or Night?

Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:29 am

This has been puzzling me.

On my next long haul, I'm going to fly Premium Economy (VS) only one way.

LHR-PVG is a overnight, PVG-LHR is a day flight. I decided to fly Premium on the return, as I'm rather have the extra comfort whilst awake, than sleeping [I can sleep fine in VS Economy].

I was wondering if "one-way" trips like mine are popular, and if so, whether demand tends to be higher in Business/Premium/Equivalent for daylight, or night flights?

PHKLM

RE: What Sells Best - Business Class By Day Or Nig

Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:19 am

Quoting Swiftski (Thread starter):
I was wondering if "one-way" trips like mine are popular, and if so, whether demand tends to be higher in Business/Premium/Equivalent for daylight, or night flights?

Premium cabins are always deployed on night-flights as pax are much more willing to pay extra for being able to sleep.
For most people it's the complete opposite of your preferences; they are willing to watch PTV in Y during the day and pay to get a decent sleep in C or F at night.
Most people sleep better in a flat than in a sitting position, and Premium cabins allow for much more flexibility in meal/breakfast times, etc.

swiftski

Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:21 am

Quoting PHKLM (Reply 1):
For most people it's the complete opposite of your preferences

And I guess this is what commands the slightly higher price in this situation for the night flight PE cabin seats..

cjh2007

Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:22 am

The main purpose of the new generation of F/C is to relax and sleep. Therefore if i have to make a choice between day/ night flights in C i would choose night. Get on the plane, take off, put the seat in flat, and sleep...

cjh
Is it the kerosene, or is it just me...

daron4000

Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:00 pm

It is an interesting question though, maybe even more specifically for F class. At night, you have the great sleeping capabilities but you skip on all the perks and great food. Obviously, these are designed to get you to pay the rediculouly high fare which is in place becasue of the amount of space the F seat takes up compared to Y seats so in terms of pricing/advertising, the seat and therefore sleep is a lot more important. However, for me, I'd much prefer to get all the service.