JAM747
Topic Author

Airports With Most Landing/Take Off Accidents?

Sun May 06, 2007 12:49 am

Which airports are noted for having the most take off or landing accidents? I guess airports which are likely to have bad weather or have tricky approaches would be on top of the list but I am curious which ones. Thanks.

tlfd29

RE: Airports With Most Landing/Take Off Accidents?

Sun May 06, 2007 3:23 am

I would suggest looking at NTSB reports. They'll give you a good way to judge which airports have the most incidents.

kaitak

Sun May 06, 2007 3:31 am

You also have to consider that some airports are busier than others; JFK has had quite a few incidents, but then again it is a very busy airport (although far from the busiest). The number of incidents can obviously be attributed to factors like weather, difficulty of the approach, quality of navaids and other factors.

I can recall quite a few incidents at Istanbul Airport (Egyptair 707 and Ariana A300, for example).

Arniepie

Sun May 06, 2007 3:38 am

I don't know it either but I heard that JFK is not without risks, preliminary due to birds and foggy conditions.
Also IST is having a bad reputation lately with many overruns, Remember some of our Turkish Anetters that fly out of there criticizing its tricky runway surface.
Any airport in Israel and Lebanon must have its fair share of problems with the vast amounts of birds that migrate over these countries twice in a year (just speculating).

Must be tons more, certainly in Indonesia, Philippines and all other countries in that area which is renowned for having just about every natural disaster possible of happening combined with a dubious reputation regarding procedures and such (last mainly for Indonesia).

Also Middle Africa must be challenging with its poor Radar coverage, people and houses near the runways, lack of organization and to top it off sometimes very tricky weather.

Edit: We must have had the same ideas Kaitak  Big grin

[Edited 2007-05-05 20:40:12]
[edit post]