CoolGuy
Topic Author

EWR-HNL, Which Side Do I Sit On?

Mon May 07, 2007 12:53 pm

I've never done this trip before. Which side has better views, left or right side (both to and from HNL)?

[Edited 2007-05-07 05:53:52]

AlexPorter

RE: EWR-HNL, Which Side Do I Sit On?

Mon May 07, 2007 3:44 pm

That's honestly hard to say for a long flight like that. Varying winds can put your path on different sides of various sights. At the same time, the length of the flight means you will be able to see good sights out of both sides at some point. So, I would actually recommend sitting away from the sun. For EWR-HNL, this means sitting on the right side. Having the sun behind you as you look out the window also means that whatever you look at will be lit by the sun but the sun won't be in your eyes. So I'd definitely sit on the right side if I were in your position.

For HNL-EWR, the flight is technically overnight, but the over-land portion of the flight is during the daytime. You can't see anything special over the ocean, so I would say sit away from the sun on that leg as well. This means sitting on the left side of the aircraft for HNL-EWR.

Hope it helps.
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

IAHFLYR

Mon May 07, 2007 9:00 pm

I'd select the right side of the aircraft for nothing other than the arrival into HNL! Every time I've landed at HNL, 10 times or so, the arrival route is on the south side of the island so you get a great view of Diamond Head, Waikiki, and downtown as you are on downwind for the Runway 8's.

Sitting on the left side, presuming the same arrival you see a nice view of Maui and as you turn final for the 8's, Pearl Harbor is on your left.

Either way, enjoy, a great trip for sure!!  Smile
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

CoolGuy
Topic Author

Mon May 07, 2007 11:31 pm

I hope we use the reef runway! I hear that's pretty cool.

EWRCabincrew

Tue May 08, 2007 1:14 am

Quoting CoolGuy (Reply 3):
I hope we use the reef runway! I hear that's pretty cool.

You will, more llikely than not, use it for departure. Makes for a longer taxi.
You can't cure stupid