joffie

So Delta Have Changed My Flights.....

Wed May 16, 2007 4:44 pm

Bit of a rant and i many of you will just think "just get over it"..

anyway

I have a flight on Delta booked on Sunday July 22 from JFK-LAS via CVG. The first flight is 738 whilst the second one to vegas was scheduled for a 752 (Ex song..ptv...)

Now, i checked the booking yesterday (i booked back in march) and it turns out the second flight...5 hours has been moved from a 752 to another 738....

Because we dont have 757's down south this would of been the perfect oppotunity to fly one as I have wanted to fly on one for years.

Have checked their website and ticket changes are charged at $50USD per person...meaning i would have to pay $200 to change to the direct flight which is cheaper anyway...bit crazy...

Also, ticket says it is not refundable...

Would there be any chance at all, that they would let us move to the non stop flight without having to pay this stupid $200 ticket change fee..or get a refund (yes i know it says you cant) and repurchase the direct 757 flight??

Thanks.

Lufthansa747

RE: So Delta Have Changed My Flights.....

Wed May 16, 2007 4:50 pm

For an aircraft change?  Yeah sure  Yeah sure
Air Asia Super Elite, Cebu Pacific Titanium

TPAnx

Wed May 16, 2007 9:44 pm

Never hurts to ask..all they can say is no...
TPAnx
I read the news today..oh boy

Leskova

Thu May 17, 2007 1:30 am

Quoting Joffie (Thread starter):
Have checked their website and ticket changes are charged at $50USD per person...meaning i would have to pay $200 to change to the direct flight which is cheaper anyway...bit crazy...

Maybe I'm missing the point, but why would you have to pay $200 when you say that changes are charged at $50?

By the way, some airlines will let you use the value of an unused nonref ticket as a credit on the purchase of a new one, so you might be able to switch over to nonstop after all.

Quoting Lufthansa747 (Reply 1):
For an aircraft change?

Slight reminder... this is an airline/aicraft enthusiast webpage. You wouldn't change the flight, I wouldn't either - but that doesn't mean that there aren't people around here who would... rather obviously.
Smile - it confuses people!

isitsafenow

Thu May 17, 2007 1:37 am

Airlines make changes regularly. If it isnt flight numbers, its times, or aircraft.
Midwest changed my wait in MKE between flights from 2 hours 50 minutes to 4 hours 10 minutes coming
this July.
Ya just flow with it, I guess.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

PacNWjet

Thu May 17, 2007 2:07 am

This is nothing. Last December my wife and I were booked on Delta from Portland (PDX) to San Jose del Cabo, Mexico (SJD) with a change of plane in Salt Lake City (SLC). At some unspecified point between time of booking (February 2006) and departure (December 2006) Delta changed our layover in SLC from two hours to two DAYS without any direct communication to us!!! Fortunately our travel agent caught the switch, but only because she was vigilant (Delta hadn't directly contacted her either), so we were able to correct the error and Delta did not charge a re-booking fee. But if our travel agent hadn't been paying attention, we probably would not have spotted the change until it was too late.

zrs70

Thu May 17, 2007 3:53 am

Now, i checked the booking yesterday (i booked back in march) and it turns out the second flight...5 hours has been moved from a 752 to another 738....

What is meant by "5 hours has been moved"? If this means that the sched change involves a five hour difference, the answer is simple:

1) Look at the DL sched and find the exact flights you want
2) Call DL and tell them the new schedule they put you on does not work for you. Don't accept the change they made, but rather tell them the flights you want. They won't charge any fee at all.
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

Evan767

Thu May 17, 2007 3:54 am

So Delta Have Changed My Flights.....

Surprise!

...Well, not really.
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

zrs70

Thu May 17, 2007 4:16 am

And why are people surprised when flights change? I can understand being annoyed if there is no communication about it. But surprise that it happens in the first place? Do we expect an airline to have the same schedule all the time?

I like sched changes, because they open the door for us to make changes if the airline's new sched doesn't work for us (as mentioned above).
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

DALelite

Thu May 17, 2007 6:39 am

I do understand your point!!! In the year 2000 i was booked with my friends on a 777 from MCO-ATL. That flight was cancelled and we were bused to TPA to be put on a old 767-200 to get to ATL.

Six years later, tried again to fly a 777 on AF. There was an a/c change again.
But then the same year in Nov. i made it to fly the 777 from FRA-ATL and then from ATL-JFK on DL.

sorry: DALelite

p.s. keep on trying
They loved to fly and it showed..

joffie

Thu May 17, 2007 8:54 am

Quoting Leskova (Reply 3):
Maybe I'm missing the point, but why would you have to pay $200 when you say that changes are charged at $50?

I thought it was $50 per person...if not then it might be ok

Quoting Leskova (Reply 3):
By the way, some airlines will let you use the value of an unused nonref ticket as a credit on the purchase of a new one, so you might be able to switch over to nonstop after all.

Ok I will ring them tomorrow or tonight if i have time.

Thanks for your help

alaskaqantas

Thu May 17, 2007 8:57 am

Well I had troubles with my tickets on Delta... they changed it at least twice a week for about two months, which was VERY annoying because I would have to call up everytime and talk to them because sometimes they would change my ticket to a destination that they don't even fly to, sometimes not even on Earth.

It was through AS and my first segment was on AS then in SEA when I went to the lounge to get my ticket they couldn't find it and I almost didn't get to board. then later on my brothers ticket wasn't wanting to work as he was trying to board the aircraft, they gave him the hardest time. then once we were onboard the 757 (ex-song) the PTV's wouldn't work... that was NOT a fun experience with DL, and its just what happened last time I tried to fly them.
~Cheers-
~~Kyle H.
to some people the sky is the limit, to aviation enthusiasts, its home!

chrisrad

Thu May 17, 2007 10:59 am

Firstly the whole point of the flight was to fly a 752, an aircraft which does not fly in Australia

Then DL change the equip to a 738, I certainly don't feel like sitting on a 738 for over 5 hours with nothing. If we had known I would have booked Jetblue direct with PTV and 36 inch legroom. Or with UA with which I am a Premier

$50 change fee per pax, there are 4 of us travelling hence why it would be $200
Welcome aboard Malaysia Airlines! Winner of Best Cabin Staff 2001,2002,2003,2004,2007,2009,2012

sllevin

Thu May 17, 2007 1:09 pm

Quoting PacNWjet (Reply 5):
Fortunately our travel agent caught the switch, but only because she was vigilant (Delta hadn't directly contacted her either),

Just as an FYI, typically when there's travel agents involved the airline leaves the customer contact to the agent, as well as keeping an eye on the itinerary.

Steve

AirCop

Thu May 17, 2007 1:22 pm

Quoting Chrisrad (Reply 12):
Then DL change the equip to a 738, I certainly don't feel like sitting on a 738 for over 5 hours with nothing.

Since when is CVG-LAS a 5 hour flight?

I can understand the frustration you're having with your desire to ride on a 757, but flights and planes change all the time. Let see on recent trip to HKT a 738 turned into a 744, an A300 became a A333, a A340 became a A333, so I don't believe what kind of plane it is until it pulls up to the gate and not one of the seven departure times were the same as when I booked the ticket, some were changed as much as two hours.

Just wondering how did you know it was going to be an ex-Song 757?

Aeroflot777

Thu May 17, 2007 2:03 pm

Quoting Chrisrad (Reply 12):
I certainly don't feel like sitting on a 738 for over 5 hours with nothing.

The question I ask everyday after reading these kinds of comments on A.net, is why the heck are people so desperate for damn personal entertainment on such flights. Five hours is really not that long (mind the CVG-LAS is NOT 5 hours), bring a book, take some music with you, look out the window and you're set. Why the urge for stupid PTVs.

Second of all....

Quoting AirCop (Reply 14):
Just wondering how did you know it was going to be an ex-Song 757?

checkmark 

Aeroflot777

chrisrad

Thu May 17, 2007 4:07 pm

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 15):
Second of all....

Quoting AirCop (Reply 14):Just wondering how did you know it was going to be an ex-Song 757?

The seating plan as per time of booking reflected the upgraded aircraft, you can see by the configuaration of First Class.

Quoting AirCop (Reply 14):

I can understand the frustration you're having with your desire to ride on a 757, but flights and planes change all the time. Let see on recent trip to HKT a 738 turned into a 744, an A300 became a A333, a A340 became a A333, so I don't believe what kind of plane it is until it pulls up to the gate and not one of the seven departure times were the same as when I booked the ticket, some were changed as much as two hours.

In my many years of travelling I have never had an aircraft change. Maybe just my luck.

The point is that this booking was made specifically to fly on the 752. Not a 738 that can be found ad nauseam in all Australian Airports. I see no point in flying DL to fly on the 738, for the same money I could fly Jetblue in comfort and with entertainment.

And yes you all all correct it's not 5 hours, only 4hours 8 mins............
Welcome aboard Malaysia Airlines! Winner of Best Cabin Staff 2001,2002,2003,2004,2007,2009,2012

PacNWjet

Fri May 18, 2007 1:36 am

Quoting Sllevin (Reply 13):
Fortunately our travel agent caught the switch, but only because she was vigilant (Delta hadn't directly contacted her either),

Just as an FYI, typically when there's travel agents involved the airline leaves the customer contact to the agent, as well as keeping an eye on the itinerary.

Steve

Well, just to clarify, we made the Delta reservation ourselves. The travel agent booked our cruise for us. The cruise arranged to pick us up at the airport, and the only reason our travel agent alerted us to a potential issue was that she made a quick check of the Delta website and noticed a change in the flight number I gave her for the cruise company pick-up and advised me to check with Delta about the exact arrival time in SJD. This was when I noticed, much to my horror and surprise, that not only was the arrival time different from what was reported, but the arrival date was two days later (Delta kept our departure date from PDX but switched the SLC-SJD flight to two days later)!

PanAm747

Fri May 18, 2007 4:28 am

Quote:
This is nothing. Last December my wife and I were booked on Delta from Portland (PDX) to San Jose del Cabo, Mexico (SJD) with a change of plane in Salt Lake City (SLC). At some unspecified point between time of booking (February 2006) and departure (December 2006) Delta changed our layover in SLC from two hours to two DAYS without any direct communication to us!!! Fortunately our travel agent caught the switch, but only because she was vigilant (Delta hadn't directly contacted her either), so we were able to correct the error and Delta did not charge a re-booking fee. But if our travel agent hadn't been paying attention, we probably would not have spotted the change until it was too late.

Quote:
Well I had troubles with my tickets on Delta... they changed it at least twice a week for about two months, which was VERY annoying because I would have to call up everytime and talk to them because sometimes they would change my ticket to a destination that they don't even fly to, sometimes not even on Earth.

As Strother Martin put it, "what we have here...is failure to communicate!!"

Delta does a HORRIBLE job of communicating with its customers. I have had itinerary changes on a February purchase that have changed four times. NOT ONCE have I received the requested e-mail or phone call that is always forthcoming from other airlines. Apparently, Delta doesn't seem to care if you know about your change in flight/times/days/seats...

I went to Delta.com/change to let them know this is a problem unique to Delta, and that word is getting around about their second rate communication system. Alas, the money it would take to upgrade the computers went to the design firm that created the new logo. Too bad, so sad, better luck next time, I guess.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

srbmod

Fri May 18, 2007 8:01 am

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 18):

Delta does a HORRIBLE job of communicating with its customers. I have had itinerary changes on a February purchase that have changed four times. NOT ONCE have I received the requested e-mail or phone call that is always forthcoming from other airlines. Apparently, Delta doesn't seem to care if you know about your change in flight/times/days/seats...

I have to agree there. I booked a flight ATL-LAS-ATL last November for this past March, and the only way I found out about the schedule and a/c change was when I looked up my itinerary on Delta.com. The only time(s) I had to call were for the first a/c & schedule change (I had originally booked ATL-LAS on a flight that was on a 764) and they tried to charge me a $50 change fee because I changed my return leg. I say tried because I had booked in a fare class that allowed changes. The other time was when they changed the schedule and a/c type again (I lost count on how many times they changed the flight times, and just about all them a minute or two change. But at least the a/c for both legs got swapped to a 764) and they didn't have a seating assignment listed for me.

Even at the gate in Atlanta, there is a lack of communication. The 764 assigned to the flight that day has just been reconfigured into the international layout, so they had to reassign seats for quite a few pax, even those up in first class. I didn't know about this until as we were boarding the flight when I noticed the seat assignment I held in my hand was assigned to someone standing by for an upgrade. I had been around the gate area for well over an hour prior to boarding and they never called me to the desk to let me know about this.

ejmmsu

Sat May 19, 2007 4:50 am

Delta is notorious for things like this.

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 18):

checkmark   checkmark 
"If the facts do not conform to the theory, they will have to be disposed of"

joffie

Tue May 22, 2007 10:15 am

7:20pm
JFK 10:28pm
LAS Nonstop 6 hr 08 min Delta 741
Boeing 757 Coach (U)
View Seats

Thinking of changing to this flight.

Total miles: 2248 (not NM)

Whats the chance they could possibly change this to a 738? Would this flight be pushing the limit for 737's?

edit: I have noticed they are using a 738 for flight 740.....6 hours hmmm...but the schedule appeares to be changing to a 752.....

[Edited 2007-05-22 03:26:00]

ejmmsu

Tue May 22, 2007 10:32 am

Quoting Joffie (Reply 21):
Thinking of changing to this flight.

Total miles: 2248 (not NM)

Whats the chance they could possibly change this to a 738? Would this flight be pushing the limit for 737's?

A 738 can make it easily.

However, with DL, you never know if it will be changed to a 737, if it will actually leave at that time, or if they will completely cancel it or not.
"If the facts do not conform to the theory, they will have to be disposed of"

VHVXB

Sat May 26, 2007 4:46 pm

So have you managed to change your flights??

joffie

Sat May 26, 2007 5:19 pm

Ok decided to change to direct...so hopefully 752 Big grin

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 23):

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Danairbus

Sun May 27, 2007 10:02 am

DL has changed my flights 8 times and I am flying with them from BWI-ATL-DEN on June 20-23. They have never have notified me about the changes. It really gets annoying calling them every other week to straight out our flight times.

ERJ135

Sun May 27, 2007 10:26 am

While I would never book a flight based on the IFE available, I have done a similar thing to fly on the 757 which as you said we don't have here in Aus. When I went to the US in 2000 I deliberately chose flights that were operated with 757's and got 2 out of three. however flight changes are very common in the USA if you book far enough ahead. in 2004 I had 11 sectors booked within the USA and ten of those flights were either changed time wise or equipment wise and one was canceled altogether and replaced by another carrier but 100 minutes earlier, which I missed because no one said anything.
Later this year I'm going back again and have so far booked 10 sectors with a variety of carriers and equipment types. I haven't even finished my itinerary yet and the first change has already been made. I booked with US Air to get an A321 but will now be operated by United for Ted. It's an A320 TED, and leaves 20 minutes earlier, fortunately I arrive in LAX 3 hours before so I still have enough time to make the flight
I remember when the DC-3 was new!

DeltaAVL

Sun May 27, 2007 12:26 pm

Personally, I've never had this happen to me. I can see why you'd be disappointed, though. I would be too.

It seems like the regional carriers don't do aircraft changes near as much as mainline does. Maybe it's because of the limited number of aircraft types...

Do regional airline flights (let's say that we're on Comair) ever get changed to mainline? Or is it that if you buy the ticket agreeing to fly with Comair, you're on Comair for good?

Sorry for the confusing wording, there's really no other way to put it.
"We break, We bend, With hand in hand, When hope is gone, Just hang on." -Guster

goldorak

Sun May 27, 2007 6:08 pm

Quoting Danairbus (Reply 25):
DL has changed my flights 8 times and I am flying with them from BWI-ATL-DEN on June 20-23. They have never have notified me about the changes. It really gets annoying calling them every other week to straight out our flight times.

Yes DL never call pax when there's a change and a lot of persons are complaining about that. What's happenning if, by example, you miss your flight because you have not been advised of a time change ? Do they rebook you free of any charge on another itinerary, providing there are some seats available ?
Now I always purchase my DL flights through AF and AF is calling me everytime there's a change on DL schedule

aviationnut12

Wed May 30, 2007 11:25 pm

Of all the times we have flown Delta, we have not a schedule change that I can remember. I'm flying to Daytona Beach on June 13-20, and my schedule was changed a week or so after I booked the ticket in April. However, I did not receive an e-mail until nearly a month later(at least I got something). It is not a significant change, just reduces my layover in Atlanta from 1 hour 35 minutes to 1 hour. God Bless.
Aviationnut12
Every choice is a step, steps become direction, direction determines destination

Eirules

Thu May 31, 2007 12:41 am

Quoting Danairbus (Reply 25):

Last September I flew DL DUB-JFK, JFK-SAN, SAN-ATL and ATL-DUB. Of the 4 flights, 3 were changed, 2 of the flights were changed times twice. Never once did I recieve an email or a phone call from DL telling me that the timings were changed. Fair enough I saw they had changed, as most people on here would because we'd be looking around on the sites before we flew, but what about those that are not aviation people, just regular passengers, would they reasonably be expected to check to see if their 8.45pm departure had been moved to 7.55? This is one of my biggest gripes with DL. I understand schedules change but a bit of courtesy to tell people would be nice
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....