Alitalia777
Topic Author

Best Time To Book Flights For Christmas

Sat May 19, 2007 6:44 am

Hey everyone,
I hope that I'm posting in the correct forum. I'm looking to fly from STR-NYC (preferably JFK) roundtrip over the Christmas holiday and was wondering when the best and latest possible time (while still having options and a good fare) to book is. The specific dates most likely would be December 21 - Jan 5. Right now the best fare is $594 with Air Berlin and Emirates. I really like the idea of taking Emirates and I really like the fare, but there are several factors that are preventing me from being able to make a decision and subsequently book. I have a feeling that I would know for sure by October, but by that time am I most likely going to be paying a significant premium to the fares I see now, or is it still far enough away? Any idea on the likeliness of Emirates still being the best deal?? If October is too late, when would be the best time to book. I look forward to your recommendations and insight!!!

Regards,
Alitalia777

Alitalia777
Topic Author

RE: Best Time To Book Flights For Christmas

Sat May 19, 2007 6:47 am

Also,
Would it be wise to perhaps book a ticket now, and then make changes to it later if necessary (dates, or perhaps a full cancellation)? I know it depends on the airline and the restrictions, but could paying these fees perhaps be a better deal than buying a ticket later?

-Alitalia777

aerorobnz

Sat May 19, 2007 7:59 am

I found

Alitalia flight 449 operated by Alitalia Express - Economy Class
Depart: Stuttgart, Germany (STR) - Fri, 21 Dec at 7:20am
Arrive: Milan Malpensa, Italy (MXP) - Fri, 21 Dec at 8:25am
Connecting To
Alitalia flight 606 - Economy Class
Depart: Milan Malpensa, Italy (MXP) - Fri, 21 Dec at 10:20am
Arrive: Newark, NJ (EWR) - Fri, 21 Dec at 1:50pm

Alitalia flight 605 - Economy Class
Depart: New York-Kennedy, NY (JFK) - Sat, 05 Jan at 5:55pm
Arrive: Milan Malpensa, Italy (MXP) - Sun, 06 Jan at 7:55am
Connecting To
Alitalia flight 448 operated by Alitalia Express - Economy Class
Depart: Milan Malpensa, Italy (MXP) - Sun, 06 Jan at 10:20am
Arrive: Stuttgart, Germany (STR) - Sun, 06 Jan at 11:25am
Price Summary

1 adult = NZD 314.00
Taxes and Surcharges = NZD 331.30
Service Fees = NZD 16.00

Total Price = NZD 661.30/ EUR345.86/ USD474.15
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

swissgabe

Mon May 21, 2007 4:37 am

If you don't know the dates yet I would opt for the cheapest flexible ticket right NOW. If you have fixed dates I would opt for the cheapest ticket available NOW, since it would be the cheapest available it most probably would be restricted in re-booking/cancelling.

Especially on scheduled services the cheapest ticket is available the earlier you book. Don't rely on last minute tickets, especially in high season.
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

jamesjimlb

Mon May 21, 2007 6:22 am

i highly recomend booking as soon as possible.
The sky is no longer the limit, but the mere minimum

57AZ

Tue May 22, 2007 3:06 pm

Book as soon as you reasonably can. I have a convention coming up in Pittsburgh in October and had the dates almost a year in advance (last November). The organization that is putting the convention on is still finalizing certain details but I booked the trip as soon as I could. Got a round trip from PHX to PIT for under $200 USD including all taxes and fees as a result.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

don81603

Thu May 24, 2007 11:24 pm

I agree, book as early as possible. It not only guarantees you a seat, but protects you from price increases due to supply and demand, and fuel surcharges. When I went to Australia, I booked 9 months in advance, and 2 weeks before I left, I had the agent check the prices for my flights, and I'd saved over $1,000 Cdn by booking early.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.