Yellowstone
Topic Author

FF Miles: Free Upgrades Or Free Flights?

Wed May 23, 2007 4:40 am

What do you choose to do with your frequent flyer miles? Do you redeem them for free seats on flights, or to upgrade?

I've only opened a Mileage Plus account just recently, so I don't have enough miles yet to do either one, but my parents would always redeem them for the free economy class seats. They used the Mileage Plus Visa credit cards, so they would just take all the miles they earned in a year and use them to get 2 or 3 of the 4 seats we needed to fly back to South Carolina to visit my grandparents.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

HT

RE: FF Miles: Free Upgrades Or Free Flights?

Wed May 23, 2007 5:23 am

3 FF-programs for me:
On AB there is no option: You redeem your miles for a free flight (and this is really free, no taxes, fees or whatever - any seat open for sale, no matter what the price is, can also be occupied by an Award flight).

My mum's few miles at LH were spent for a Economy Class flight within Europe last year shortly before they expired.

My own miles I at LH used to redeem for upgrades from Economy to Business Class for intercontinental flights; meanwhile I (at big intervals) redeem points directly for intercontinental Business Class flights (I was able to fly IAD-FRA-HAJ-FRA-DTW on short notice a few weeks ago when I had to return home in the middle of a vacation). Fortunately my LH-miles do not expire ...

On KL I also try to redeem miles directly for intercontinental Business Class flights, but this tends to be more difficult than on LH.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

ACDC8

Wed May 23, 2007 5:31 am

I only use my FFP's for flights, Biz class or First class does nothing for me, I'm quite content in coach so I'd rather use the miles for an extra flight somewhere's.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

ClassicLover

Wed May 23, 2007 6:50 am

Quoting Yellowstone (Thread starter):
What do you choose to do with your frequent flyer miles? Do you redeem them for free seats on flights, or to upgrade?

Flights in J and F.

I saved a packet using 90,000 miles to fly BKK-SYD in BA F, and 60,000 on QF J SYD-SIN. Absolutely well worth it!
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

airtrainer

Wed May 23, 2007 10:36 pm

Hi, from what I've read on different posts people usually agree to say that FF miles are better for upgrades (if we're talking about their "value")... Now I would rather say that it depends on the routing you want, I mean if you just want to fly domestic like you're saying in your post I don't think it's worth an upgrade for a short flight.

On a general basis I think you'll be able to find the better deals using your miles on long haul flights, either for upgrades or awards. Ok it's maybe not easy if you don't have a lot of miles yet but as long as you are able to fly at least once every 18 months you can keep your account opened and save for the future  Wink I've never used the miles I have on my MP account because I wanted to reach 200k miles for a RTW award but after a little discussion on this forum I see that it would be a better deal to use them for a long haul J award...
Life is short : eat dessert first !

airtrainer

Wed May 23, 2007 10:41 pm

Hi, from what I've read on different posts people usually agree to say that FF miles are better for upgrades (if we're talking about their "value")... Now I would rather say that it depends on the routing you want, I mean if you just want to fly domestic like you're saying in your post I don't think it's worth an upgrade for a short flight.

On a general basis I think you'll be able to find the better deals using your miles on long haul flights, either for upgrades or awards. Ok it's maybe not easy if you don't have a lot of miles yet but as long as you are able to fly at least once every 18 months you can keep your account opened and save for the future I've never used the miles I have on my MP account because I wanted to reach 200k miles for a RTW award but after a little discussion on this forum I see that it would be a better deal to use them for a long haul J award...

dfwmzuri

Thu May 24, 2007 3:26 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 2):
I only use my FFP's for flights, Biz class or First class does nothing for me, I'm quite content in coach so I'd rather use the miles for an extra flight somewhere's.

Same with me, but I've never flown First. Perhaps some day.

airtrainer

Thu May 24, 2007 3:34 am

Hi all, sorry for my double post above, I had some problems with my connexion and didn't realise I posted twice... Please delete one.

Jef

flyboy36y

Thu May 24, 2007 4:31 am

I used to use my AA miles for international upgrades, but I now think that, espessialy wit the co-pay, that business class RTW tickets are the best bets and best values.

DeltaAVL

Sun May 27, 2007 12:31 pm

I'm actually saving up my Delta Skymiles to get Medallion status, which means unlimited free upgrades! I can't wait. Big grin
"We break, We bend, With hand in hand, When hope is gone, Just hang on." -Guster

trent1000

Mon May 28, 2007 8:29 pm

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 3):
I saved a packet using 90,000 miles to fly BKK-SYD in BA F, and 60,000 on QF J SYD-SIN. Absolutely well worth it!

Well done! 90 000 for F on BA sounds excellent value.

Mileage in one program may not be worth equivalent miles in another.
For example BKK/SYD in F on BA = 90 000 miles, TG 110 000 miles, Star Alliance 100 000 miles.

Calculating the value of your mileage will depend on how much money you've spent earning it.
I prefer "free" tickets, except they are not really free because of additional taxes. However QF incorporate taxes in their award levels - effectively you can pay your taxes with mileage.

eric

Mon May 28, 2007 9:34 pm

Quoting DeltaAVL (Reply 9):
I'm actually saving up my Delta Skymiles to get Medallion status, which means unlimited free upgrades! I can't wait.

Well, you can still use your miles even though you are going for a higher elite tier. Saving your miles will not doing anything for your elite level though unless you get enough flights or miles within your elite year.
n