flybynight

How Is It Flying On Russian Planes?

Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:39 am

I've flown on just about everything Boeing, Douglas, Lockheed and Airbus has built since the 1960's, but unless I've forgotten about a flight, I've never flown on a Russian plane.
A very general question, but is the comfort and overall experience different? Obviously it depends a lot on the individual airlines.
Just curious.....
Heia Norge!

LAXspotter

RE: How Is It Flying On Russian Planes?

Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:17 pm

Quoting Flybynight (Thread starter):
Obviously it depends a lot on the individual airlines.

and the individual aircraft and class. Russian Aircraft seem to be given a bad name....I would love to fly on a russian aircraft, my first choice would be a tupolev and then a Ilyushin Widebody.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

LTU932

Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:24 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 1):
my first choice would be a tupolev and then a Ilyushin Widebody.

I'd personally like to fly a TU-154. I'd also like to fly on an IL-62, but without the hassle of having to visit FNJ for it. Too bad there are not many IL-62s flying right now.

n757kw

Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:33 pm

I have flown on the Tupolev TU-154 on Malev in 1986 FRA-BUD-FRA, Aeroflot LEN-MOW in 1986, and China Northwest BJS-SIA in 1992. It was like flying on a 727. I don't really remember much else.

N757KW
"What we've got here, is failure to communicate." from Cool Hand Luke

Dalavia

Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:40 pm

I have flown on quite a few Soviet aircraft, including two flights on Il-62s last week (with Air Koryo).

The big difference is the sound of the engines. When the Solovievs rev up for take off, it is like an orchestra of high pitched screaming whistles - a sound that once experienced is never forgotten, and NOTHING like western jets.

congaboy

Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:50 pm

I've flown on Aeroflot in their IL62 and IL86...it felt, well, spartan. You will not feel at all like you are on an Airbus based on cabin lighting, sound, seating config, interior decor, and smell. Remember that almost any Russian aircraft is going to be pretty old, so it will also feel nostolgic. Most of them also dont have state-of-the-art avionics, and you can tell by the way the pilot flies the aircraft (alot manual). I say every aviation enthusiast should do it at least once....
"Joey, you like movies about gladiators?"

swissgabe

Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:07 am

Quoting Flybynight (Thread starter):
A very general question, but is the comfort and overall experience different? Obviously it depends a lot on the individual airlines.

Flew AN4, IL8, IL6, TU3, YK4 and TU5 plus YN7 and YN2

If you aren't very much into aviation you wouldn't really care. The seats and the cabin equipment are much more basic compared to modern Boeing and Airbus planes. Standard of the above planes could be compared to the 70s/80s. In most cases there is also more noise in the cabin (and of course outside) of those types above since they have older engines.
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

Superfly

Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:35 am

Flying on Soviet/Russian aircraft is an awesome experience and a MUST for all aviation enthusiast.  yes 

I've flown on Cubana's IL-62, Aeroflot's IL-96 and TU-154.
My favorite is the IL-62. As Dalavia mentioned above is the 'orchestra of high pitched screaming whistles' of the Soloviev engines.
One unique feature of Soviet/Russian aircraft is the seats. The seat backs can be pushed forward and used as a foot-rest for the passenger sitting behind if no one is sitting in front of you.

The IL-96 is very modern and was very similar to flying on a 777. The Aeroflot interior on the other hand was from an old IL-86 and the pilot did a late takeoff roll. Not sure if all Aeroflot IL-96 interiors are like this. I think they have changed from a 3-class to a 2-class. I flew on a 3-class IL-96.

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 2):
I'd also like to fly on an IL-62, but without the hassle of having to visit FNJ for it. Too bad there are not many IL-62s flying right now.

Cuba still uses them and since you're not a US citizen, visiting Cuba is a lot easier. Most importantly, Cuba is a hell of a lot more fun than North Korea. Cuba is a party place with nice beaches. North Korea is not. I'd highly recommend flying there IL-62 and IL-96. I was not too crazy about Aeroflot's IL-96, mainly because of the service and interior.

The Soloviev engines on the IL-62 and TU-154 are my favorite engine sounds.
Bring back the Concorde