worldtravler

Flight Attendant Job Offer From Northwest Airlines

Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:35 am

Hello to all;

I have been offered a flight attendant position with NWA and i'm trying to decide if his is the right opportunity. Can nay one please tell me the good, the bad and the ugly side of this opportunity? I know that new hires will be on reserve for a long time and bases open are Memphis, Detroit and Boston. But can somebody help me make a decision? I would appreciate all the feed back i can get. Thanks...............

TVNWZ

RE: Flight Attendant Job Offer From Northwest Airl

Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:45 am

Welcome to Anet! You will get lots of opinions...good and bad ...on this one. Click on the search feature and type in "NW flight attendants" or" Northwest flight attendants" You will get lots of threads to peruse that could be helpful. If you take the job, I look forward to you serving me.

Good Luck!

charlienorth

Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:45 am

Quoting Worldtravler (Thread starter):
Hello to all;

I have been offered a flight attendant position with NWA and i'm trying to decide if his is the right opportunity. Can nay one please tell me the good, the bad and the ugly side of this opportunity? I know that new hires will be on reserve for a long time and bases open are Memphis, Detroit and Boston. But can somebody help me make a decision? I would appreciate all the feed back i can get. Thanks...............

Best thing to do is check your financial situation vs. these bases,if it works,why not? If you do the math and it doesn't work don't even put yourself through the ordeal,either way best of luck in your decision.
Work hard fly right..don't understand it

MCOflyer

Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:56 am

Jetjack74 can answer this one.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

ejmmsu

Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:15 am

Of course, NW FA pay isn't as good as it used to be, but it still certainly trumps anything the regionals are offering by a wide margin.

If it were my choice, I would definately choose MEM for my home base. The cost of living there is quite reasonable, and it is really underrated as a nice place to live. Memphis has been rated one of America's most livable cities. It should also be reasonably easy to non-rev out of there, as opposed to DTW or espescially BOS.

http://www.mostlivable.org/cities/memphis/home.html

If being a flight attendant is your dream, you could always continue to look for "better" oppourtunities elsewhere during your tenure at NW. However, I think you could do much worse than being a NW FA based out of MEM.

Congratulations on the offer. If you decide to take it up, I look forward to possibly having the honor to be served by you on one of my many NW flight segments each year.

[Edited 2007-06-10 20:16:43]
"If the facts do not conform to the theory, they will have to be disposed of"

DALelite

Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:31 am

Congratulation!!!!

cheers: DALelite
They loved to fly and it showed..

falstaff

Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:40 am

I would go with MEM. DTW is a depressed area and kind of dull these days. However it is a buyers market if you want a house. There are 38 houses for sale in my neighborhood, 22 of them are foreclosures. My house has lost 21% of its value in 3 years. I live three miles or so from DTW so it would be close to work....

MEM is a nice city and if you like BBQ it is the town!

Quoting Ejmmsu (Reply 4):
I look forward to possibly having the honor to be served by you on one of my many NW flight segments each year.

Me too....

Good luck on your new job.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

IFEMaster

Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:22 am

It's not just a matter of economics either...ask yourself if this is what you want? If it's your dream, or part of your dream, or a step towards achieving your dream, then take the risk. The determination that we have to achieve our dreams often trumps the adverse situations we find ourselves in as we chase them.

And by the way, welcome to airliners.net!

Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

Delta767300ER

Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:09 am

Do you get to choose between DTW/BOS/MEM or are you going to be assigned by NWA? I have thought about applying at NWA to be a Flight Attendant. What is the anual salary?

-Delta767300ER

roseflyer

Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:04 pm

Although I'd love to live in BOS, I'd never do it on a flight attendant's salary. I'd struggle to do it on an engineer's salary. Memphis and Detroit have good and bad areas. Both are really cheap to live in. I'm sure you could find people to socialize with. I think that if you really want the opportunity, you should take it. You might be out for training expenses, but in the end you can have a fun job. If it doesn't work out for you, then you can always move on. But I do suggest that you try to have a bit of savings before you start. The money will be useful. You'll have to learn to be cheap if you are used to making more money.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!