nickbbu

"Low Cost" Or "Low–Cost"?

Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:17 am

This might seem a bit weird, but I can assure you that this as serious as it can get. I am writing a study on LCC and I need to know exactly how should I write the title: low cost or low–cost ?

What is the right way of writing and why?

Thank you in advance! It's really important for me.
Nick
Romanian Spotters Forum Administrator

swissy

RE: "Low Cost" Or "Low–Cost"?

Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:03 am

I never used the term "low cost" as everyone has a different opinion about what is low cost, however "lower cost" is exactly what it means lower cost ..... just my "swiss cheese" opinion  Smile

Good luck

Cheers,

Viscount724

RE: "Low Cost" Or "Low–Cost"?

Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:26 am

Quoting Nickbbu (Thread starter):
This might seem a bit weird, but I can assure you that this as serious as it can get. I am writing a study on LCC and I need to know exactly how should I write the title: low cost or low–cost ?

What is the right way of writing and why?

Most English style manuals would show "low-cost" (with a hyphen) as the preferred format. That is what is known as a compound adjective when used in the context of "low-cost carrier" or "low-cost manufacturer" etc, and it is usual to link the words in compound adjectives with a hyphen.

If "low" was an adjective modifying the noun "cost" or "costs" as in, "Ryanair operates with low costs", then a hyphen would be incorrect, but if you said, "Ryanair is a low-cost carrier" you would need the hyphen.