b777a340fan

Where Can Tourists Find The Best Airfares?

Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:10 am

I don't know if this is the best place to post, but I'm wondering where non-business travelers can go to get the best fares? I know there's orbitz, travelocity, and expedia, but I was wondering if there was any other "secret" websites that can get you the best fare?

AirTranTUS

RE: Where Can Tourists Find The Best Airfares?

Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:30 am

Quoting B777a340fan (Thread starter):
I know there's orbitz, travelocity, and expedia, but I was wondering if there was any other "secret" websites that can get you the best fare?

Kayak.com is a great resource and searches the airline's sites as well as Expedia, Orbitz, etc. I hear Sidestep.com is similar.
I love ASO!

MKP1013

Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:49 am

I'm a fan of kayak.com as well. Once you complete an itinerary, it will take you to the airline's website to book rather than booking directly with kayak, thus eliminating any service fee to them. I also have used farecompare.com and the getaway maps feature to give me an overview of what the cheapest fares are for my origin.

AirTranTUS

Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:45 am

Quoting MKP1013 (Reply 2):
Once you complete an itinerary, it will take you to the airline's website to book rather than booking directly with kayak, thus eliminating any service fee to them.

Kayak does not do bookings, just shows you the fares. Sometimes though, when you go to the airline's site, that fare is not available. I've noticed through personal experience.
I love ASO!

AEROFAN

Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:56 am

Yeah AirtranUs

Same thing happend to me a couple of weeks ago. Thought I had found an excellent deal -well a steal really for F on SQ LAX/TPE. When I went to book it , I got the fare is no longer available and the available fare was $3,000.00 more.

LHRBFSTrident

Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:10 pm

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 3):
Sometimes though, when you go to the airline's site, that fare is not available

that seems to be the m.o. with farecompare.com too - almost just a way to taunt yourself at how much less you could have spent !

But there are some interesting features like the fare maps - and it seems to be updated continually

san747

Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:51 am

Anyone use Yahoo FareChase at all? It's a handy feature I keep on my Yahoo toolbar...
Scotty doesn't know...

teo747

Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:28 am

I also very much enjoy kayak.com, especially since they are checking the actual airline websites and then take you there to book the flight. It is true, however, that it isn't always accurate. Often times the lowest fare isn't actually available once you get to the airline website, although sometimes the opposite happens. While looking for flights for a trip I'm taking in August to the DC/Baltimore area, F9's BIL-DEN-DCA and return showed up as over $500 on Kayak, slightly more than the ticket cost on either NW or UA. Before booking with UA, I decided to just check Frontier's website on a whim, and found that they had flights available for only $300 round trip that did not show up on Kayak! So, while Kayak or any of the other websites like it are certainly nice to get an idea of what you will be paying, it's not a very good idea to trust them completely, as it saved me $200 to check the airline website anyway.

Oh, and if there were a "secret" website out there with lower fares than everywhere else, it wouldn't remain a secret for very long!

[Edited 2007-06-23 04:29:40]